Most Unexpected Coach/Contestant Pairings

VintageVoice

13 minutes ago, Daillon said:

SandyRedd picking Kelly in the blinds comes to mind.

because i didn't watch that season, I watched stuff on youtube, and yeah i remember watching her blind, and just knowing in my head she picked jennifer, and then watching her battles and being suprised that she was on Kelly's team

Rose and Gwen (S17)

Kyla and Blake (after that Aretha song) (S14)

Sisaundra and Blake (S6)

Marybeth and John (S17)

Zan and John (I would've loved if she's on Blake) (S18)

Bria and Usher (S6)

Ashley and Alicia (S12)

• Like 4

On 5/15/2020 at 11:49 AM, Daillon said:

To be fair, if I got the chatterbox of the show to be completely speechless for as long as Kelly was after that audition, I'd probably pick her too. Doesn't mean she shouldn't have gone with JHud from the get-go though.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:06 PM, antikid said:

Kyla not picking Kelly after singing Aretha caught me off guard

At that point, Kelly's biggest claim for the show was part-time mentoring (either as battle advisor or the Mega Mentor) and her own experience navigating a singing competition, while Blake had produced a zillion finalists and several winners; Kelly was the obvious choice but competitively Blake was the safer one, given she'd stick out and his Team Blake stans as the backing vote would be a solid boost if she made the lives.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:31 PM, Archanium said:

Marybeth/John

Kat hammock/Blake

Rose/Gwen, it turned out to be good though

Marybeth picking John's a head-scratcher but given he'd just won with Maelyn and the whole EGOT thing,  I can't say I blame her - she still should've gone with Kelly, but it's whatever. Kat picking Blake makes more sense to me than Gwen, given the former's record for doing well with younger contestants on the show (the latter did do well with Brennley, but that's the only example I can think of for "young female artist" vs. Xenia, Danielle, Holly, Jessie, Reagan, Emily Ann, Mary Sarah, Aliyah, and Kendra, among others, for Blake). Rose/Gwen is probably the most unexpected of the list, but Gwen's really good at connecting with contestants on a heart-to-heart level if she wants to fight for someone, plus Kelly might've shot herself in the foot by forgetting the song was originally John's when he was sitting ten feet away. 

On 5/15/2020 at 11:51 PM, anonymouskid_35 said:

Rose and Gwen (S17)

Kyla and Blake (after that Aretha song) (S14)

Sisaundra and Blake (S6)

Marybeth and John (S17)

Zan and John (I would've loved if she's on Blake) (S18)

Bria and Usher (S6)

Ashley and Alicia (S12)

It's been 12 seasons since Sisaundra auditioned, but I still want to throw hands at Usher for the BS he pulled during that audition pitch; on the other hand, Blake's pitch remains one of the most honest pitches of the show, and it worked. Zan/Blake would've been great but unfortunately wasn't an option since he's the only one who didn't turn. Usher's Grammy bribery would've gotten just about anyone, so I can't blame Bria for that (even if it's clear now he had no idea what he was doing with her). Lastly, Alicia is a natural for drawing people into her with her words; I still would've expected Adam over Alicia given the former has worked with country-ish singers before but clearly Ashley chose differently.

• Like 1

Adam and Shalyah Fearing (season ten): I loathe the man, but admit that he did pretty well with someone I wouldn't have expected him to steal in a million years.

Adam and Sharane Calister (season fourteen): See above.  Even for the short time he had her, I was surprised at how decently he worked with her after her Knockout steal.

Blake and Kyla Jade (season fourteen): Pretty much what others have been saying.

Shakira and Kristen Merlin (season six): Shocked that she did so well with a country singer, and pissed that the sudden change in proceedings screwed her out of her rightful place in that season's finale.

Usher and Bria Kelly (season six): Pretty much said by others above.  Bad mix there.

Christina and Lexi Davila (season eight): Didn't get this steal, because she didn't seem to have anything in common with Christina.

Christina and Trey O'Dell (season ten): Didn't get this steal, either, since he had nothing in common with her, either.

Pharrell and Lowell Oakley (season eight): Lowell doesn't seem to get mentioned a lot here.  But I was shocked that a crooner picked Pharrell instead of Adam, who seemed to do the best with artists of the old-time, classic genres since he was generally raised on those.  And it was clear by at least the Knockouts that Pharrell didn't know how to work with him.

Pharrell and Hannah Huston (season ten): She seemed way more suited to Blake and Christina than she did to Pharrell.  Still, third place shows that it was a choice well made.

Gwen and Anita Antoinette (season seven): Never would've seen that one coming, although it was obvious by the Lives that Gwen didn't know how to work with her.  ("All About That Bass?"  Really, Gwen?)

Gwen and JChosen (season twelve): Even having been spoiled, it was still a stunned to see him pick a coach I wouldn't have imagined him picking in a million years when Alicia, who nearly lost her mind and her reservations over his Blind, was right there waiting for him.

Gwen and Rose Short (season seventeen): She seemed more fit with Kelly, so the Gwen pick, while delightful, was exciting.  But they turned out to be a match made in heaven.  One of Gwen's best work ever.

Gwen and Calvin Lockett (season seventeen): Like JChosen, it was a bit shocking to see an old-time R&B artist pick her when John was right there.  It was kind of a shock that he got montaged his remaining two rounds, too, since you'd think that someone who evoked a reaction like the one Gwen had after he picked her would've been focused on like holy hell.

Miley and Ali Caldwell (season eleven): Big surprise since I figured that she was easy Alicia bait.  Still, it was like a dream pairing.

Miley and Janice Freeman (season thirteen): See above, but replace "Alicia" with "Jennifer."  But another dream pairing.  RIP, Janice.

Alicia and Christian Cuevas (season eleven): Thought he'd be Adam or Blake bait, really.

Jennifer and Noah Mac (season thirteen): Shockingly good duo here, as shown by how well they collaborated to stage his amazingly awesome top eleven performance.  This duo was one that deserved to reach that finale.  Too bad Noah wanted out by then.

Jennifer and Alexandra Joyce (season thirteen): I actually would've wanted to see this one in full, because her picking Jennifer was hugely unexpected given her genre.  She was country, so Blake seemed like the easy, obvious choice.

Kelly and D.R. King (season fourteen): I'm . . . still scratching my head over her fascination and obsession with him.

Kelly and SandyRedd (season fifteen): The Kelly choice was shocking, but I got it, as she likely wanted to stand out better on Kelly's team when she might not have on Jennifer's.  That said, to have gotten dumped in the Battles for a guy who didn't even stay around for the Knockouts that followed showed by she was better off with Jennifer in the first place.

John and Maelyn Jarmon (season sixteen): I just thought that she'd be easy Kelly or Blake bait, is all.  But John seemed to know how to work with her, and her win is proof.

John and Marybeth Byrd (season seventeen): Pretty much has been said above.  I really thought that Kelly or, hell, even Gwen would've been more suitable for her, given what happened with John.  Unlike most, though, I do blame Marybeth, too, for wanting to go pop instead of staying country.  Her fans here on this site seem to rather conveniently forget that fact and just want to blame John when it was both of their fault.

Nick and Roderick Chambers (season eighteen): I must be the only one who think that Roderick got worse with Nick, not better.

Whew.  These are my offerings.

Edited by Rodney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 5:49 PM, Daillon said:

I'm still mad about Kelly for that one.

It didn't make any sense, she paired her with someone she was clearly much better than, destroyed him in the battles, and Kelly still eliminated her. 

45 minutes ago, Theleaguan said:

I'm still mad about Kelly for that one.

It didn't make any sense, she paired her with someone she was clearly much better than, destroyed him in the battles, and Kelly still eliminated her. 

She tried to do the gracious thing and keep both on the show (knowing Sandy's chances of getting stolen were WAY higher) and it backfired, since Cody Ray withdrew before KOs and she was down one of the best vocalists in the competition.

30 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

Tessanne and Adam was one I thought was confusing too. I didn't know how it would turn out, but became one of my favorite duos!

Thought for sure Xtina would get her.

Tessanne/Xtina would've been a helluva pair too, but that's a pairing that worked out for the best - Tessanne's powerful and very pop-rock (with a little bit of reggae), so having someone that worked well with her musical lane and the personality mix that made for some golden camera moments worked out well.

Edited by VintageVoice
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rodney said:

Gwen and Anita Antoinette (season seven): Never would've seen that one coming, although it was obvious by the Lives that Gwen didn't know how to work with her.  ("All About That Bass?"  Really, Gwen?)

Gwen and JChosen (season twelve): Even having been spoiled, it was still a stunned to see him pick a coach I wouldn't have imagined him picking in a million years when Alicia, who nearly lost her mind and her reservations over his Blind, was right there waiting for him.

Both were some reggae type of artisy which is in Gwen's wheelhouse apparently

31 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

She tried to do the gracious thing and keep both on the show (knowing Sandy's chances of getting stolen were WAY higher) and it backfired, since Cody Ray withdrew before KOs and she was down one of the best vocalists in the competition.

Adam said he was going to steal either one of them, so they both would have stayed anyways. I think Kelly just didn´t feel she was the right coach for Sandy and felt Jennifer was a better match, or she genuienly liked Cody better.

2 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Both were some reggae type of artist, which is in Gwen's wheelhouse apparently

Anita, perhaps, but JChosen was R&B/soul and R&B/pop.  He said so himself.  Definitely not reggae.  Which was made it so surprising that he went with Gwen.

7 hours ago, Rodney said:

ohn and Marybeth Byrd (season seventeen): Pretty much has been said above.  I really thought that Kelly or, hell, even Gwen would've been more suitable for her, given what happened with John.  Unlike most, though, I do blame Marybeth, too, for wanting to go pop instead of staying country.  Her fans here on this site seem to rather conveniently forget that fact and just want to blame John when it was both of their fault.

I could've sworn Marybeth was the one that wanted to go pop as well, but I wasn't 100% sure, so now that somebody else says it, at least I know I'm not crazy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maxwell said:

Yeah Marybeth was experimenting with pop (probably John's idea). John as a coach was questionable. Even Gwen would have been better lol.

it was not John's idea, although if she went with Blake, he probably would've gently pushed her toward country, in which case she could have unseated one of the top 4, and possibly changed the result of the finale, because the country vote would be split, and the Blake fans would have someone to root for that wasn't Jake.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ashwinner said:

it was not John's idea, although if she went with Blake, he probably would've gently pushed her toward country, in which case she could have unseated one of the top 4, and possibly changed the result of the finale, because the country vote would be split, and the Blake fans would have someone to root for that wasn't Jake.

Blake would tbh, I know Marybeth had a hand in her genre change, but Blake wouldn't allow it like John did. Plus Blake's song selections for her would have had her in the Top 3 I'd say.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ashwinner said:

Maybe but Blake would have probably advised her to stay in her lane. John was probably more lenient.

1 minute ago, Maxwell said:

Maybe but Blake would have probably advised her to stay in her lane. John was probably more lenient.

if by stay in your lane, you mean go country I would agree.

1 minute ago, QueenMae16 said:

Blake would tbh, I know Marybeth had a hand in her genre change, but Blake wouldn't allow it like John did. Plus Blake's song selections for her would have had her in the Top 3 I'd say.

exactly! she was one of my favorites, and although I didn't support her as much as I did Allegra this season, I thought that someone else put it well when they said that "her performance of Burning House won the competition in itself."

• Like 2

Just now, ashwinner said:

if by stay in your lane, you mean go country I would agree.

exactly! she was one of my favorites, and although I didn't support her as much as I did Allegra this season, I thought that someone else put it well when they said that "her performance of Burning House won the competition in itself."

Yeah country suited her better.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna revive this thread and throw a couple of my own bids here:

Juliet Simms and Cee-Lo (Season 2): A Beatles audition with the biggest Beatles fan of the panel turning around (and the only winning coach at that point) made Cee-Lo a bit surprising, but it worked well given she did get runner-up even though she was robbed but it's fine i'm fine everything is fine

Cassadee and Blake (Season 3): Having been pop-punk before going solo, I wasn't expecting her to choose Blake - Adam or Christina, maybe, but Blake clearly knew what he was doing (given that her performance of Over You remains iconic all these years later).

Sawyer and Pharrell (Season 8): Obviously, this worked out very well but given Sawyer's very Americana/folk which are both close relatives of country, I would've expected Blake over Pharrell - that said, given the latter is more introspective in nature (much like Sawyer himself) it was a better personality mesh than Blake would've been, plus the whole standing out better thing.

Dave Moisan and Alicia (Season 11): Alicia does have that zen magnetism that draws people in, but for someone to do alt/pop-rock with a pre-audition preference for Adam who was RIGHT THERE, it was still surprising.

Brennley Brown and Gwen (Season 12): Okay, so this is a post-battles thing, but still. Adam had previous country-ish experiences (see: Amber Carrington) but her vibrato reminds me a lot of Gwen's, so it worked very well until her elimination in the semifinals.

Jej Vinson and Kelly (Season 16): All those R&B runs with John right there made the Kelly choice slightly surprising, but it resulted in one of the best battles/redeeming moments of the Hot Mess Express season.