idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
Teraginn

The Voice Australia Season 9

7 hours ago, Archanium said:

My dream top 4 would be : Matt Gresham/Timothy (Guy); Jesse (Delta); Sapphire (George); Mark Furze (Kelly). 

What I think we'll get         : Johnny (Guy); Stellar (Delta); Masha (George); Chris (Kelly)

Even though these 4 are not my favorites, I don't really mind them going to the GF, at least they're all good vocalists.

Agreed - Matt/Tim are deserving of the last spot, but I have a feeling Guy will choose Johnny. 

A bit controversial but I don't really get the appeal of Jesse - it's definitely emotional seeing him as an All-Star as he was the last to battle Natasha last year, but his vocals are not strong enough to be in the grand final. If you heard Jesse perform against Matt/Tim/Johnny, he would pale out in comparison.

George's team is an interesting one - Masha is a strong vocalist but definitely not a fan favourite. The fact that she's already won before does not sit well with many. But looking at the rest of his team I think you might be right that he'll pick Masha.

I would loveeeee if Mark went to the finals!! We'll finally have a rocker in the grand final! Chris is probably the obvious choice and Kelly definitely loves Chris, but I would be happy with Mark as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

Just heard a preview of Mark singing it and it's perfect!! Well done Kelly on picking a great song

He's totally gonna crash Bo'Ness lmao. I love the boys but compared to Mark? Man few more years for ya

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

A bit controversial but I don't really get the appeal of Jesse 

I think what the audience loves in him the most is his overall package? He's just got that charisma or something of a performer? 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

Her vocals are strong but I just don't feel anything when she sings.

Exactly, especially last night, she's just TOO TECHNICAL. For the first time, I actually agree with Guy on his comment on Masha lol, I felt Elyse more on that playoffs last night

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

Just heard a preview of Mark singing it and it's perfect!! Well done Kelly on picking a great song

How did ya heard it? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, abraaom1 said:

I wouldn't count Wolf out, people seem to adore him. I don't know why, to me he sounds awful. His voice is different but so unpolished

Oh yeah if it was up to the public he would have definitely had a chance - unfortunately because they're pre-recording all the shows the coaches are making all the decisions and Guy definitely doesn't seem as keen on Wolf. Even if he did get the wildcard Wolf wouldn't make it past the semi-finals because Guy will most likely pick Johnny/Timothy/Adam 

46 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

I think what the audience loves in him the most is his overall package? He's just got that charisma or something of a performer? 

Perhaps - but at the end of the day there's no way Delta would choose Jesse over Stellar for her final spot.

There's heaps of singers out there who don't have the strongest voices but ooze charisma and can 'perform', but going on a show like this really does focus on voices.

Hearing a snippet of his song tonight, he's good but just doesn't have the tone to really stand out

48 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Exactly, especially last night, she's just TOO TECHNICAL. For the first time, I actually agree with Guy on his comment on Masha lol, I felt Elyse more on that playoffs last night

I know George was being funny but this time I felt there was no need to break the rules. Obviously a song like I Have Nothing suits a more technically-trained singer like Masha- if Elyse had been given a different song, her lack of experience (and that little slip-up towards the end) would not have been as noticeable.

George may have picked Masha based on this performance but I don't think he'll choose her for the grand final. 

52 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

How did ya heard it? 

https://ototoy.jp/find/?q=the+voice+australia+2020

Listening to Janie & Matt as well as Claudia, I have to say based purely on these performances I would go with Janie &  Matt.

Claudia's voice sounds a bit weak when she's trying to emulate Vera Blue. 

Timothy and Matt's sound amazing!!! Matt's got such a great voice but it's a pity he's up against the strongest (in my opinion) on Guy's team.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

Listening to Janie & Matt as well as Claudia, I have to say based purely on these performances I would go with Janie &  Matt.

Sameee, Claudia's tone is gorgeous but I think she's too green for the show, I am more interested on her voice when she does opera.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Sameee, Claudia's tone is gorgeous but I think she's too green for the show, I am more interested on her voice when she does opera.

Yep - it's interesting that many of the stand-outs in the blinds seem to fade away quickly!

I'm guessing Delta might still pick Claudia, though Janie & Matt did so much better than I thought they would!

This one is definitely her closest play-off, both acts deserve to go through. I can sense that if she lets Janie & Matt go tonight viewers would be disappointed that she decided to make them a duo and kicked them out next round.

4 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Did you hear the preview of Jesse and Stellar's performances? The parts they decided to preview aren't the best - we all heard Stellar sounding so beautiful in The Voice ads, but you don't really hear that from the preview the website gives. 

Posted (edited)

Night 1 - Not removing anyone eliminated from my list (unless I disliked their performance) because we don't know about saves yet, but I am shuffling things around still.

1. Clarissa Spata (9) vs Graeme Isaako (8) - Okay, Graeme! Putting up a fight for that save, I see. This was definitely Graeme at his best. CLARISSA THOUGH. The only other opera singer on The Voice that I've actively rooted for was Lucy O'Byrne in the UK version. There's something just refreshing about Clarissa and her still nailing traditional opera while making it exciting. I hope her and Delta can eventually come up with something completely mixed like her battle or Lucy's "No Surprises." Well done by both!

2. Alex Weybury (7.5) vs. Despina Savva (9) - The surprise of the night for me was Despina! Despina's been growing and I think she gave her best performance yet. I'd written her off as a generic pop teen with limited skills after her blind but you can already hear the difference. She's climbing in my rankings for sure and I absolutely hope that Kelly saves her. As for Alex - he did fine. Alex's performance have been generally stale but not bad. I'm pretty much over him at this point and I don't think another performance would change that.

3. Masha Mnjoyan (8) vs. Elyse Sene-Lefao (7.5) - Average versions of the song for me. Masha was definitely much more clear and consistent, but it was still boring and weak compared to so many of the other versions of this song. I love Elyse more overall, but it fell flat for me. She was still definitely the most deserving person to return without a steal though. That's for sure. Not a bad decision here, but Masha's failing to live up to the hype.

4. Siala Robson (7.5) vs. Nathan Isaac (8) - Performance-wise, Nathan tends to deliver something fun and exciting, but we're at the point in the competition where he needs to amp up his vocals. He's been doing fine and he's been given fun songs, but I haven't seen him take advantage of any potentially big vocal moments. I'm not sure if using "too consistent" is the right way to describe him, but it's the best way I can think of now. I do like him though! As for Siala, I love her so much, but I don't think I can fairly give a high score to a 65-second performance with 12 seconds of silence. What she did sing was great and I appreciate what she's bringing to the show, but based on how long it took her to recover, I don't think I could fairly give her the win over Nathan here. Both are great, but changes need to be made for them both.

5. Johnny Manuel (8.5) vs. Wolf Winters (6.5) - I still love Wolf but that was so cringy to watch. Wolf's so good but I have no idea what to make of the past 2 songs that he was given. As for Johnny, it took a couple of listens but I really do like what they did with the song.

6. Adam Ludewig (7) vs. Josh Pywell (7.5) - Certainly not an opinion I expected to have here... First of all, dreadful decision to have them perform these songs. For Adam, it was just an overall letdown that felt bland (and I actually like him!) Josh on the other hand got a song that I can't picture a singer like him attempting on the show. None of this worked out. Neither of them sounded terrible, but I felt nothing from Adam, while Josh at least did the best with what he was given and performed it. Simply because I didn't feel the urge to fast forward to the end with Josh's... I'm picking him here.

1. Jesse Teinaki (Delta)

2. Clarissa Spata (George Delta)

3. Chris Sebastian (Kelly)

4. Sapphire Tamalemai (Kelly; George)

5. Stellar Perry (Delta)

6. Despina Savva (George Kelly)

7. Wolf Winters (Guy)

8. GOLDI (Delta)

Standby:

9. Matt Gresham (Delta Guy)

10. Steve Clisby (Delta)

11. Johnny Manuel (Guy)

12. Elyse Sene-Lefao (Guy; George RE-ADDED)

To be dropped after Playoffs:

13. Siala Robson (George)

14. Adam Ludewig (Guy)

15. Roxane LeBrasse (George)

16. Angela Fabian (George)

17. Nathan Isaac (George)

18. Graeme Isaako (Delta)

19. Lyric McFarland (Kelly)

20. Soma Sutton (Kelly Guy)

21. Josh Pywell (Guy)

22. Bo'Ness (Kelly)

23. Virginia Lillye (George)

24. Stephanie Cole (Guy)

Removed:

2. Caleb Jago-Ward :( (but at least he wasn't "eliminated" I suppose...)

23. Masha Mnjoyan (Tired of her)

24. Alex Weybury (Seeing no from him)

Edited by Someone648
  • Like 2

I just listened to Janie and Matt's performance and I'm not ready to see them leave the show. I really hope Delta picks them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, abraaom1 said:

I just listened to Janie and Matt's performance and I'm not ready to see them leave the show. I really hope Delta picks them.

Same here - before hearing the previews I would have easily picked Claudia. Janie & Matt really surprised me and sound so good together.

There's no real big spoilers either - Matt was definitely back in Perth about a week ago but that makes sense - for the semi-finals if Delta can only pick her 2 strongest contestants it would most likely be Stellar + Jesse. 

Claudia was amazing in the blinds but I think her voice sounds a bit weak singing Running Back. It almost sounds like she's out of breath

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

Same here - before hearing the previews I would have easily picked Claudia. Janie & Matt really surprised me and sound so good together.

There's no real big spoilers either - Matt was definitely back in Perth about a week ago but that makes sense - for the semi-finals if Delta can only pick her 2 strongest contestants it would most likely be Stellar + Jesse. 

Claudia was amazing in the blinds but I think her voice sounds a bit weak singing Running Back. It almost sounds like she's out of breath

I really hope they're through. I enjoyed their song more than Claudia's.

Also, I can totally see why Kelly chose not to pick either Jimi or Elishia, they both sound dreadful lol.

2 minutes ago, abraaom1 said:

Also, I can totally see why Kelly chose not to pick either Jimi or Elishia, they both sound dreadful lol.

I wonder if Kelly got to pick who she saved - I was definitely predicting Xy and did not think Jimi would be Kelly's choice

Just now, Rach88 said:

I wonder if Kelly got to pick who she saved - I was definitely predicting Xy and did not think Jimi would be Kelly's choice

I think she might have. At least it appeared that George picked the one he wanted.

I also think it's so weird to pick someone from another team, don't you? Even though the people from the other teams were better lol. Idk

Playoffs 1 commentary. The production value is amazing. It kinda makes the American version look like a hodge-podge virtual karaoke night. Though I hate how short the performances are. The stage is already set up, at least let the singers sing for 90 seconds! Also, the fake crowd cheering is kinda annoyingly loud.

1. Graeme vs Clarissa: Graeme's performance is what Johnny could have done had he a) been given a good song and b) trimmed down the excessive vocal runs and tricks. He's also really good at emoting. It's a very raw and honest performance that should be worthy of Delta's save (though I doubt he'll actually get it). Clarissa was simply epic. There's something about her that I find oddly compelling, more so than other classical/opera singers that came before. Also her "Latin is not my native language" quip was so funny. Clarissa definitely won, though Graeme did put up a great fight.

2. Alex vs Despina: I stil don't get the hype for Alex. Every performance of his has only ever been just average for me. It doesn't help that 'Issues' is not a fresh song choice anymore by this point, and still he didn't do anything out of the box with it. It was a very straightforward and uninspired attempt. Meanwhile, Despina has been slowly winning me over, ever since I realized that her vocal affectations were totally natural since her normal speaking voice is pretty much the same. I think she had the bigger challenge of learning the song from scratch. That being said, I like what she did with the song and she had some interesting vocal choices in there. I'd have given her the win easily.

3. Wolf vs Johnny: The theme was... interesting. To be honest, I kinda like Wolf's version of 'Dance Monkey' lol, if only to see Delta's reaction to it. Might be an unpopular opinion there, but there's something about it that, though cringey, kinda works for me. That being said, his voice is really unpolished and it can come off as abrasive. If Guy was a good and unbiased coach, he should let Wolf sing something like 'Hurt' (Nine Inch Nails/Johnny Cash) instead. Johnny simply did too much with the song. It's only a minute long, you don't need to add a run every other line. I liked Johnny but I guess I'm over him at this point. 

4. Masha vs Elyse: Not a good version by either of them. Masha got a bit messy towards the end, which was weird because I assume she must have been singing this song dozens of time. My frustration with her is that I'm not getting anything from her emotionally. I'm not sure if this is because she can't connect to English songs as well as she does with Armenian ones, but right now she strikes me as a bland, pagaenty singer who can hit all the notes but that's about it. Like a Diana Rouvas lite. She only won this round because Elyse ran into some very conspicuous stumbles in the second half, though I admit her a capella opening was beautifully done.

5. Nathan vs Siala: Nathan has always been more of a performer than a vocalist, which I think should only carry him so far into the competition. He's definitely more style over substance. His performance is fun, but that's about it. Siala's flub was hard to watch, but I like how the coaches constructively called it out as a learning experience. I guess George was gonna go with Siala from the start anyway so the flub might not have mattered much. Personally, I'd do the same based on their potential.

6. Josh vs Adam: Josh is growing through every performance. Not sure if the song was fitting for his style but the arrangement sounded cool. Adam, on the other hand, sounded much weaker than he did. Like, a noticeably weaker performance than his previous two. He's another one whom I don't get the hype for. Josh should have won since he actually showed continuous improvement. But Guy is biased, what else is news? 

• Like 1

ngl I'm pretty underwhelmed so far, Mark's performance was too rushed. Goldi and Claudia were good but yeah I think Goldi still can do more to prove haters wrong, glad they won that. But, Claudia's got gorgeous tone, more years from her and I can see her doing some original stuffs

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

ngl I'm pretty underwhelmed so far, Mark's performance was too rushed. Goldi and Claudia were good but yeah I think Goldi still can do more to prove haters wrong, glad they won that. But, Claudia's got gorgeous tone, more years from her and I can see her doing some original stuffs

It's hard to build up a song in only a minute long performance, probably that's why most of the performances were not that enjoyable. 

Now that I've heard both Jesse and Stellar's full performances, I do think Jesse just edged her. Delta was right about needing to see Stellar 'fight' for it more - so far all her performances have gotten her emotional, and that's not at all a bad thing, but it takes away from her performance a bit and she gets a tiny bit pitchy

Posted (edited)

Bummer Stellar lost but yeah Jesse's getting better. She would definitely get the wildcard. 

For tomorrow night, wow I'm surprised at how Lyric sounded on the song she's singing. And my man, Virginia sounded amazing on that Chandelier, I'm so scared for Sapphire. Stephanie's also getting better and better man.

Edited by anonymouskid_35
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1