The Voice Australia Season 9

Teraginn

Battles 4 commentary

1. Masha vs Ella: Classic diva match-up, which I'm a total sucker for. They were both pretty equal, but Ella got a little messy towards the end there. Masha's tone has more warmth and soul in it, while Ella's is thinner. I didn't expect Kelly to pick Ella though, but happy that they're still both in.

2. Timothy vs Luke: I didn't care for either of them before but I absolutely love this. Another pretty equal battle in my opinion. Hearing them side by side, I kinda favor Luke more by just a hair. Shame he got cut but it is what it is. Timothy wasn't half bad either, so this is just a matter of preference to me.

3. Sebastian vs Nathan: I think any song named 'Physical' would be a cringey choice for a 15-year-old boy to sing, though admittedly Olivia Newton-John would be much more inappropriariate. Cringe aside, that was pretty fun to watch. Vocally, I think Sebastian has more range and knows how to navigate the song a little better. Nathan still lacks that oomph for me.

4. Adam vs Elyse: Elyse was practically signed up to lose this one, but she put up quite a fight. It wasn't as good as her audition though that's probably on song and the format. I just don't get the hype for Adam at all. Both his performances so far have been average for me.  

5. Mark vs Emma: Emma was literally trying so hard to embody that angsty vibe. Her vocals sounded really forced and unnatural. That should be enough to give Mark the edge to win, despite him not giving it as much. He basically won by default.

6. Emmagen vs Callum: At least everyone had fun, right? I mean, I was having fun until I remember Delta could have paired Emmagen vs Janie (folk-country battle) and Callum vs Matt (energetic showman vibes) and then advanced both Janie and Matt as solo acts. I guess Emmagen won this? 

3 hours ago, Sabina said:

Is Elishia Guy's wildcard?

I don't think they get 'wildcards' in the battles which have just aired. Elishia was Kelly's first save in the battles. 

The next round is when each coach chooses a winner from their 4 playoffs and then gets to pick a wildcard from the 4 that lost.

My guess is a few contestants can't make it to Sydney for filming (blinds and battles were filmed in Feb/March however playoffs only just finished earlier this month), which might be why Elyse can be seen in the promos even though she lost to Adam. Some people have also said that Xy has been seen with other contestants when they were in rehearsals so he might be a possible comeback as well

5 hours ago, mjdolorico said:

Also, wild theory: based on Clarissa's outfit and headdress, I think she may be singing Zero Gravity by Kate Miller-Heidke. Just got that vibe.

I love that idea and hope you're right!! Her outfit and especially the headpiece are similar to Kate's Eurovision performance.

This is why we needed Delta to coach her - there's great Aussie songs which can be sung and usually the song also gets a boost on iTunes/sales if it's done well!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rach88 said:

I don't think they get 'wildcards' in the battles which have just aired. Elishia was Kelly's first save in the battles. 

The next round is when each coach chooses a winner from their 4 playoffs and then gets to pick a wildcard from the 4 that lost.

My guess is a few contestants can't make it to Sydney for filming (blinds and battles were filmed in Feb/March however playoffs only just finished earlier this month), which might be why Elyse can be seen in the promos even though she lost to Adam. Some people have also said that Xy has been seen with other contestants when they were in rehearsals so he might be a possible comeback as well

woah good news he deserve that.

5 minutes ago, stilinskies said:

woah good news he deserve that.

At the moment it's just rumours however I hope it's true too! But contestants have been posting old photos/videos so photos with Xy might be from the blinds or even just him hanging out with the contestants now that they've come back to Sydney. Sebastian Coe was featured heavily on other contestants' social media but obviously now we know he was eliminated.

Side note: Xy Latu didn't make this but he did repost it onto his IG page - I'm sure he felt this way too! 😅

Edited by Rach88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rach88 said:

At the moment it's just rumours however I hope it's true too! But contestants have been posting old photos/videos so photos with Xy might be from the blinds or even just him hanging out with the contestants now that they've come back to Sydney. Sebastian Coe was featured heavily on other contestants' social media but obviously now we know he was eliminated.

Side note: Xy Latu didn't make this but he did repost it onto his IG page - I'm sure he felt this way too! 😅

lmao I'm so happy people aren't afraid to call out Guy's crap. He screwed Elyse over as well and he knows it. 

My theory is that they filmed Guy and Delta's contestants last week and possibly did Kelly and George's teams earlier today? Adam Ludewig (Team Guy) and Delta's strongest contestants (Stellar Perry, Matt & Janie, Jessie) look like they've been back home for the last couple days, which doesn't make sense if they're still filming today. 

I think Prinnie Stevens and Rebecca Selley (both contestants from last year's show) are guest mentors for the next round or have some sort of role, as they've both been pictured in the studio

Just now, Theleaguan said:

lmao I'm so happy people aren't afraid to call out Guy's crap. He screwed Elyse over as well and he knows it. 

I think Guy's song choices for the battles have favoured one contestant over the other - Johnny obviously with Earth Song (poor Bukhu), Wolf Winters with Old Town Road, and Elyse with Wrecking Ball - Adam has a better chance of making it to the end so even though Elyse sounded better, Guy still ended up choosing Adam.

Adam reminds me of Judah Kelly a couple seasons back who won when he was on Delta's team.

• Like 1

Just had a quick look at contestants IG stories - some have posted what days their playoffs are: 

Team Delta: Claudia Hazzy vs Janie & Matt - Monday

Stellar Perry vs Jesse Teinaki - Monday

Steve Clisby vs Emmagen - Tuesday  

Graeme vs Clarissa 

Team Guy:   Adam Ludewig - Sunday

Team Kelly: Alex Weybury - Sunday

Despina Savva - Sunday

Edited by Rach88

1 minute ago, Milkshakes226 said:

Does it sound like Stellar is singing “I Who Have Nothing” in the promo for next week?

Oooo possibly but I thought it was Billie Eilish's I Love You - it's hard to tell just from the promo because she only sings 'I love you' but I think it might be Billie Eilish

On 7/1/2020 at 12:03 PM, Rach88 said:

Team Delta: Claudia Hazzy vs Janie & Matt - Monday

Graeme vs Clarissa 

I really hate that Jesse and Stellar are paired together!! It makes me think that Jesse will be Delta's wildcard and she'll most likely pick Claudia to get through, meaning Janie & Matt will probably be eliminated next round

1 hour ago, Rach88 said:

she'll most likely pick Claudia to get through, meaning Janie & Matt will probably be eliminated next round

Why? I don't think Claudia have intrigued Delta that much based on the battles 😬. I do hope Janie & Matt won 

On 7/1/2020 at 10:03 AM, Rach88 said:

Claudia Hazzy vs Janie & Matt - Monday

Graeme vs Clarissa 

They really did post their opponent? Or is this just when they were performing?

2 hours ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

They really did post their opponent? Or is this just when they were performing?

The Stellar and Jesse match-up is shown in a new promo they released today, and Graeme vs Clarissa was in the promo that aired after Monday's episode. 

Claudia and Janie & Matt have both said on Instagram that their playoff airs Monday, and Steve Clisby said his is on Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Why? I don't think Claudia have intrigued Delta that much based on the battles 😬. I do hope Janie & Matt won 

I hope so too! It's so hard to find spoilers seeing as there's no studio audience for the rest of the season!!

The thing which has really confused me is most contestants look like they've flown back home, but Delta said today on IG live that she just finished filming for The Voice (likely mentoring/rehearsals seeing as hosts had the day off) and that she was getting ready to perform this weekend (may be a live performance?).

Matt Evans said a couple days ago that he was in Perth and Adam Ludewig looks like he's back home in Adelaide. I don't think Adam would be eliminated that quickly - but I do know they're pre-recording the start of the finals so maybe they're already filming the Top 8/12

2 minutes ago, Archanium said:

Dang, Delta really paired her 2 strongest contestants :kalancry:

To be honest I don't really think the coaches have a hand in the match-ups - although we did see Kelly swap out a contestant in the battles but that's so rare. 

But yeah, they are definitely her strongest contestants - I can't see Stellar losing the playoff however Jesse may have a chance at her wildcard