The Voice Australia Season 9

Teraginn

1 minute ago, Rach88 said:

Are you able to share the clip? I can't seem to find it anywhere! I think it might be Jesse Teinaki

I'm really not sure but I think I saw it in the preview of last night's show, not in the video tweeted by 9now? I think?

• Thanks 1

Just now, anonymouskid_35 said:

I'm really not sure but I think I saw it in the preview of last night's show, not in the video tweeted by 9now? I think?

Ahhh that makes sense - I was watching the video posted by 9 on their twitter and it doesn't seem to have a preview of who Stellar's match-up is

Just now, anonymouskid_35 said:

So is the showdown really for the wildcards????

I actually don't think so! After reading the description for the playoffs, it says that they're competing for a spot in the Top 20.

Top 20 would include the wildcards, seeing as there are 4 winners from each team + 1 wildcard. So I'm guessing all the wildcards get through like last year.

Perhaps the showdown is just each contestant performing and the coach eliminating one person from their team?

I looked back at the promo to double check and I don't see Stellar's partner anywhere?

Pairings I observed:

0:48 - Nathan Isaac vs. Siala Robson

0:51 - Clarissa Spata vs. (male - likely Graeme Isaako)

1:14 - Chris Sebastian (confirmed at 1:32) vs. a female

1:25 Clarissa Spata vs. (male - likely Graeme Isaako) again

1:38 Johnny Manuel vs. (male)

1:46 Masha Mnjoyan vs. Roxane LeBrasse

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I looked back at the promo to double check and I don't see Stellar's partner anywhere?

Pairings I observed:

0:48 - Nathan Isaac vs. Siala Robson

0:51 - Clarissa Spata vs. (male - likely Graeme Isaako)

1:14 - Chris Sebastian (confirmed at 1:32) vs. a female

1:25 Clarissa Spata vs. (male - likely Graeme Isaako) again

1:38 Johnny Manuel vs. (male)

1:46 Masha Mnjoyan vs. Roxane LeBrasse

I definitely agree with all these match-ups - the lighting makes it hard to see who the other competitor is, especially because when they're not performing they have to stand in that 'booth'. Clarissa's partner looks definitely like Graeme- I think people were saying Stellar's partner could be seen in the TV promo which aired last night (not the same as the promo Channel 9 have uploaded). 

Also it looks like they're filming again for the show today - some of the assistants for The Voice look to be on set and the host's make-up artist was also preparing.

Potentially that might mean some contestants who flew back home were eliminated in the playoffs/showdowns? 

14 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

I definitely agree with all these match-ups - the lighting makes it hard to see who the other competitor is, especially because when they're not performing they have to stand in that 'booth'. Clarissa's partner looks definitely like Graeme- I think people were saying Stellar's partner could be seen in the TV promo which aired last night (not the same as the promo Channel 9 have uploaded). 

Ah, sounds fair.

Does anybody have access to that promo by any chance? Even a low quality version recorded on their phone? ;)

1:39, that guy against Johnny, to me it looks a lot like Wolf. Considering team Guy, I don't see anyone else who have that same body (?)

1:46 too, I think Virginia is against a skinny girl in a long dress. Would that be Sapphire? I think so. And considering that Elyse came back bc someone on team George really quitted, having Nathan vs Siala, Virginia vs Sapphire and Masha confirmed, that one who gave up can only be Angela, Caleb or Roxanne. 

Episode 3 commentary! 

Team Kelly - Chris Sebastian vs. Sapphire Tamalemai - "Titanium" by David Guetta & Sia

A decent battle. Both artists were very distinct and brought their own flavor to the song. Not my favorite battle, but it was entertaining enough.

Personal Winner: I thought Chris was just a little bit better vocally here, Sapphire was a bit reckless with her notes.

Actual Winner: Chris. George tried to save Sapphire.  Sapphire joins Team George

I think Sapphire definitely has potential and I didn't mind George using his save on her.

Team George - Caleb Jago-Ward vs. Andy Dexterity - "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

This battle could not be any more predictable. The song choice was just made for Caleb. Andy was reduced to doing frantic signing to make up for the fact that he's just not as vocally impressive as Caleb. I appreciated the fact that Caleb joined in the signing towards the end.

Personal Winner: Caleb. Need I say more?

Actual Winner: Caleb, No save for Andy

Hopefully the haters can stop tearing their hair out at Andy being on the show now.

Team Delta - Jesse Teinaki vs. Steve Clisby - "Human" by Rag'n'Bone Man

Oof. The beginning part of this was so rough. I have to say though, both guys managed to salvage the performance and finished strong. Considering how last-minute this change was, it was a minor miracle how this wasn't a huge trainwreck. Props to Jesse for supporting his partner all the way.

Personal Winner: Jesse is just ready and hungry to prove himself and do better than last year. I hope he succeeds.

Actual Winner: Jesse, Delta tried to save Steve, Steve returns to Team Delta

I feel like Delta's save here is an apology to Steve for messing up the song choice to begin with. 

Team George -  Angela Fabian vs. Jonathon Welch - "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King

I love this battle. I think it was a very tasteful, restrained performance, which is interesting because these two are some of the more melismatic singers this season. 

Personal Winner: Angela was a revelation here. Very impressed with how she relied on her tone rather than her vocal tricks and runs for this performance. 

Actual Winner: Angela, No save for Jonathon

One of the more even battles this season, but Angela is just so good here that I didn't mind Jonathon going home.

Team Guy - Josh Pywell vs. Jimi the Kween - "Love is a Battlefield" by Pat Benatar

Can I just give props first to Jimi for completely leaning in on Boy George's lumberjack comment and showing up in his lumberjack outfit? Hilarious! Anyway, I think this was a pretty decent battle too, both of them had some really cool moments in the performance.

Personal Winner: I think Josh just clearly outsang Jimi here. The latter was just a little reserved and tentative, and it made him fade in the background.

Actual Winner: Josh, No save for Jimi

Jimi isn't really on par with the talent level this season, so I didn't mind this elimination.

Team Delta - Janie Gordon vs. Matt Evans - "Lover" by Taylor Swift 

Am I the only one who thought this battle was a little overrated? Maybe I'm just not into the song choice? Both artists sounded way better in their blinds. Also, what the heck did they do to Janie? I liked her simple style in the blinds, and now they made her into a basic teenybopper pop girl.

Personal Winner: FWIW, I think Matt had some impressive vocal moments in the chorus, though I was left wanting more of those. 

Actual Winner: Both moved on as duo Janie & Matt

I honestly didn't think this performance warranted them forming a duo on the spot, and I didn't like the way they basically strong-armed these artists in forming Janie & Matt. Also, why does the show keep doing this when they constantly dropped these duos immediately in the next round? IDK, this all left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by mjdolorico

52 minutes ago, searomordep said:

1:46 too, I think Virginia is against a skinny girl in a long dress. Would that be Sapphire? I think so. And considering that Elyse came back bc someone on team George really quitted, having Nathan vs Siala, Virginia vs Sapphire and Masha confirmed, that one who gave up can only be Angela, Caleb or Roxanne. 

I reckon it'll either be Angela or Roxanne - Caleb seems to feature in a lot of photos with the other contestants and he's been regularly posting on social media so I don't think he withdraws. Where do Angela and Roxanne live? Potentially it could also be about living interstate or maybe they didn't want to leave family to travel back to Sydney for filming?

While we're at it, let's do Episode 4!

Team Kelly - Mark Furze vs. Emma Mylott - "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morissette

Another battle that looked good on paper, but didn't click for me on stage. I thought both artists, while sounding fine, didn't really evoke the angst and anger of the song. It all felt hollow.

Personal Winner: Mark, I guess? Emma felt especially forced in this performance.

Actual Winner: Mark, No save for Emma

No complaints here

Team Delta - Emmagen Rain vs. Calum Gleeson - "Footloose" by Kenny Loggins

[OZTalent video to be followed]

A novelty performance. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, Emmagen's conduct during the whole process should be taken as a sign that maybe we should just not let 16-and-under artists to join a competition with grown-ass adults

Personal Winner: Can I not pick? Both are cringeworthy AF.

Actual Winner: Emmagen, No save for Calum

Team Guy - Timothy James Bowen vs. Luke Biscan - "It Must Have Been Love" by Roxette

I was waiting to hear Timothy again for weeks, and if I may be honest, this performance was just a bit of a letdown. Both of them didn't really do anything beyond what they already shown in their blinds. But even if it was disappointing, I still enjoyed what I heard, and I would still rank this battle in my Top 5 this season, just because this is the kind of music I'd listen to in real life.

Personal Winner: Timothy's tone is just.... mmm. Love it.

Actual Winner: Timothy, No save for Luke

No complaints here again, although I think this was a tossup.

Team George -  Nathan Isaac vs. Sebastian Coe - "Physical" by Dua Lipa

For a second there I thought George was giving them the Olivia Newton-John song, and while I was relieved it wasn't that, I still thought this was a bizarre song for both of them. Maybe George thought he needed to give them a song that wasn't too vocally challenging so he picked Dua for them? Who knows. Anyway, I thought this was a pretty decent performance all things considered. Forgettable, but decent.

Personal Winner: Nathan just intrigues me as an artist. I feel like he can give us some Sheldon Riley realness if he got the proper training.

Actual Winner: Nathan, No save for Sebastian

No complaints. NEXT!

Team Kelly - Ella Monnery vs. Masha Mnjoyan - "Respect" by Aretha Franklin

The token diva battle of the season. Honestly, this is a welcome change of pace for me, so I was completely entertained by this even though this is nowhere near my type of music. Both girls went HARD on this performance. This felt like a battle in the truest sense of the word.

Personal Winner: I honestly think this is a tossup, but I always vote for experience, so I'm going with Masha.

Actual Winner: Ella, George tried to save Masha, Masha joins Team George

Little shook with the results, but Kelly has always favored the raw contestants over the more polished ones. George used up his saves correctly, IMO.

Team Guy - Adam Ludewig vs. Elyse Sene-Lefao - "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus

Ugh, Adam is gonna run away with the competition, isn't he? Everything about him just screams frontrunner to me. And I want to like the guy, but his voice just doesn't do it for me. I will say that he sounds much better here than in his audition, and I am surprised at how smooth his voice can get if he wanted it to be. I just hope he stops forcing the growly part of his voice, it sounds so unpleasant to me. As for Elyse, she sounds really great here, although she didn't really do anything surprising. 

Personal Winner: Elyse. Sorry, Adam, it's not you, it's me.

Actual Winner: Adam, No save for Elyse

As I said, Elyse was more of the same, while Adam did show a different side of him in the battle, so I get why Guy chose the way he did. I just wish there was a save left for Elyse.

Edited by mjdolorico

PERSONAL TEAM STANDINGS:

After reading the spoilers about the next round, here's how my team went post-battles.

I will be having two saves as well, like the coaches.

Green means they won their battle, Red means they lost, Orange means they lost but got saved/brought back.

Underlined are the people I will be taking to the Playoffs, italics are the people I'm using my save on.

Stellar Perry vs. Alex Weybury  

Matt Gresham vs. Timothy James Bowen

Clarissa Spata vs. Claudia Harrison

Mark Furze vs. Jesse Teinaki

Elyse Sene-Lefao vs. Kirby Burgess

Caleb Jago-Ward vs. Johnny Manuel

So my team post battles are:

Stellar Perry

Timothy James Bowen

Claudia Harrison

Jesse Teinaki

Elyse Sene-Lefao

Caleb Jago-Ward

Matt Gresham

Johnny Manuel

Can't wait to see how the Playoffs work!

14 hours ago, Rach88 said:

Agreed!! Haha depending on Kelly's outcome for the play-offs that could set a new precedent - that could have meant Delta didn't take Callum or Emmagen through and entered Janie and Matt as solo artists. I'm thinking one of the contestants is Lyric - when Kelly asks Darren what happens after she refuses to take either of them through, there was a tiny clip of Darren and a lady standing next to him in a blue dress. That could possibly be Lyric (a tiny glimpse at 1:01 )

I think the girl at 1:01 is Elishia. 

10 minutes ago, YeahRite said:

I think the girl at 1:01 is Elishia. 

Oooo you might be right! Just trying to think who her partner would be - I think it's very strange that Kelly decides not to take either of them through, considering she was the one who saved Elishia in the first place! 

9 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

Oooo you might be right! Just trying to think who her partner would be - I think it's very strange that Kelly decides not to take either of them through, considering she was the one who saved Elishia in the first place! 

lmao, not a surprise since Elishia's sooo not worthy of steal 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

lmao, not a surprise since Elishia's sooo not worthy of steal 😂

Hahah yeah Kelly was really regretting using her saves so quickly! But even when voices aren't very strong they'll pick someone to go through anyway.

My guess is that the overseas coaches don't really have much input with the match-ups and song (I think Marcia Hines is the guest mentor for Kelly's team) so she decides that both of them are weak and gets to let both contestants through in another playoff.