idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
Teraginn

The Voice Australia Season 9

25 minutes ago, dioko said:

This tbh. Last season Guy also had the strongest team post-binds, then made a bunch of terrible choices and ended up with an average ass team for the finals

I'm still salty that Jordy lost in the knockouts!! His version of 'Love on the Brain' was 10x better than Jack Vidgen. Hopefully he makes some better choices this year. 

Adam, Johnny and Timothy are very strong contenders (Bukhu is the risky option!! He could win it but at the same time audiences may get sick of him doing the same thing every week) but producers love putting the strongest singers together so it's gonna be a tough choice!

44 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

I think you're pretty much on the money! Stellar, Janie and Matt Evans are definitely through to the playoffs as there's a photo of them hanging out in Sydney last week. Playoffs were taped on the weekend so they're all staying together in a hotel. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8408859/The-Voice-EXCLUSIVE-Nine-houses-contestants-Sydneys-west.html#comments

Delta's following Jesse, Stellar, Janie, Elishia, Claudia, Matt and Graeme from her own team, but also follows Clarissa from Team George (opera singer last night that George blocked Delta), Georgia Caine (who didn't get through but sang a song with Delta) and just today followed Bo'Ness (Team Kelly) which I found to be very strange!!!  A potential steal from Kelly in the battles? Also important to note that she follows Steve Clisby whose audition airs today and I think will be the last addition to her team.

Surprised she doesn't follow Matt Gresham - I would think he makes it far in the show. 

Worth noting that Steve was on Delta's team in Season 2 (she stole him during battles from Seal), so that might explain why.

2 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Worth noting that Steve was on Delta's team in Season 2 (she stole him during battles from Seal), so that might explain why.

Oooo that's interesting! It might explain why Kelly says "I would love to work with you, she's already gotten the opportunity" in the preview of tonight's episode.

The promo features a lot about Kat Jade and only a split second of Steve Clisby singing- I think they're doing the 'shock no-chair turn for an All-Star' again like they did with Ellen Reed last season. My guess is there's gonna be a lot of no-chair turns once again and they'll feature Guy's 'scandal' halfway through the episode.

Episode 9 commentary!

There are way too many non-chairs and too little videos of them on YT, so I'm just gonna talk about the people currently on the OZTalent channel.

Also, YouTube has banned the embedding of OZTalent videos so I'll have to make do with linking other sources. 

GRAEME ISAAKO, Delta and George turned, Team Delta

Apparently he played Simba on a local producation of The Lion King? And yet he sang Michael Jackson? Interesting. It's a competent, high-energy performance and it was entertaining, but I can't help comparing it to the original and it just pales in comparison. No chair.

ELYSE SENE-LEFAO, George, Kelly and Guy turned, George and Kelly BLOCKED, Team Guy

Wow! That was a terrific performance! Shades of Brooke Simpson in there. I am really impressed. BUT DAMMIT MY TEAM IS FULL. Then again, TVAU is known for bending the rules all the time. Should I do it? Heck, why not! Chair turn for MJ!

THE LION'S DEN, No chairs

Kitschy and all over the place. No chair.

NATHAN ISAAC, George and Delta turned, Team George

Oh..... I really dug the arrrangement of this song and the overall vibe of Nathan. I thought this was a really cool performance and I would love to see more from him, but he definitely has some vocal kinks to work on. No chair for now. Definite candidate for a steal tho.

CLARISSA SPATA, Delta and George turned, Delta BLOCKED, Team George

Woah! This was really good! Where have these people been hiding all season? I can't believe that I have to knock off another person from my team! Well, here we go... Chair turn for MJ!

PERSONAL TEAM STANDINGS:

1. Stellar Perry (4 chairs, Team Delta)

2. Charlie McFarlane (2 chairs, Team Kelly)

3. Timothy James Bowen (4 chairs, Team Guy)

4. Jesse Teinaki (4 chairs, Team Delta)

5. Kirby Burgess (2 chairs, Team Guy)

6. Matt Gresham (2 chairs, Team Delta)

7. Caleb Jago-Ward (3 chairs, Team George)

8. Alex Weybury (4 chairs, Team Kelly)

9. Xy Latu, (4 chairs, Team Guy)

10. Claudia Harrison (4 chairs, Team Delta)

11. Johnny Manuel (4 chairs, Team Guy) 

12. Mark Furze (4 chairs, Team Kelly)

13. Elyse Sene- Lefao (3 chairs, Team Guy)

14. Clarissa Spata (2 chairs, Team George)

I did not expect my team to have a more even gender split after this episode.And Team Guy once again has the strongest team post-blinds. Hope he doesn't squander all that potential in the next rounds.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

PERSONAL TEAM STANDINGS:

Oooo what are your standing based on? It's quite an interesting mix you've got there.

Personally I think Kirby will easily be kicked off next round - Guy's team is too strong and there's no way she'll stay.

Caleb's an interesting one - his personality will divide viewers and I don't think his voice is very strong, however maybe he might get to the finals on George's team? I reckon Caleb and Clarissa will be pitted against each other in one of the rounds.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rach88 said:

Oooo what are your standing based on? It's quite an interesting mix you've got there.

Personally I think Kirby will easily be kicked off next round - Guy's team is too strong and there's no way she'll stay.

Caleb's an interesting one - his personality will divide viewers and I don't think his voice is very strong, however maybe he might get to the finals on George's team? I reckon Caleb and Clarissa will be pitted against each other in one of the rounds.

Thank you! It's based on a mixture of which people's journey I will probably enjoy watching more, and genre appeal. It's not really a ranking per se, and more about what team will I build when I am a coach.

Edited by mjdolorico

Posted (edited)

The description for next week’s episodes:

Sunday 7:00pm: The Battles 1
The Battles begin. The top 48 pair off to fight for a place in the showdowns.

Monday 7:30pm: The Battles 2
The Battle round continues with one of the most controversial match ups in the history of The Voice that causes a deep division within the Coaches.

Wonder if the order of showdowns and playoffs have been switched, or if they've decided that showdowns sounds better?

Edited by Rach88
  • Like 2

Just now, Rach88 said:

The description for next Sunday’s episode:

Wonder if the order of showdowns and playoffs have been switched, or if they've decided that showdowns sounds better?

My theory is they will adopt the US format and have battles, showdowns (which I'm assuming is their version of the KOs) and playoffs.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

My theory is they will adopt the US format and have battles, showdowns (which I'm assuming is their version of the KOs) and playoffs.

How interesting!! Are you able to explain the playoffs to me? I had a quick look at last season of the US format on wiki and got very confused 😅

I'm guessing our showdowns will be in pairs with coaches allowed to steal/save 2 contestants. That leaves each coach with 8 contestants on their team for the playoffs.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mjdolorico said:

PERSONAL TEAM STANDINGS:

I did not expect my team to have a more even gender split after this episode.And Team Guy once again has the strongest team post-blinds. Hope he doesn't squander all that potential in the next rounds.

MJ with less than 2/3 of his team being male? Never thought I'd live to see the day. :haha:

Edited by Someone648
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

How interesting!! Are you able to explain the playoffs to me? I had a quick look at last season of the US format on wiki and got very confused 😅

I'm guessing our showdowns will be in pairs with coaches allowed to steal/save 2 contestants. That leaves each coach with 8 contestants on their team for the playoffs.

Playoffs is basically the first live rounds and the last round where there are team quotas. The post-KO teams are whittled down to 3 artists per team, some of which are selected by the public, while the others are selected by the coach (this varies with the season). For the last few seasons except Season 18, a 13th artist is added to the mix via a Wildcard vote.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

The description for next week’s episodes:

Sunday 7:00pm: The Battles 1

Monday 7:30pm: The Battles 2
The Battle round continues with one of the most controversial match ups in the history of The Voice that causes a deep division within the Coaches.

Yay for battles! I've preferred the Battles -> KO's instead of KO's -> battles because at least they won't stick to a theme that clearly favors one person over another. The organization of the knockouts in Australia has been one of the few issues I've had with their version.

• Like 1

I hope for the Showdowns they're gonna adopt the Knockouts format of The Voice of Holland,  which is basically a tweaked version of the Chair Challenge from X Factor. That will cause some drama among the contestants, which I'd much rather see than more coach drama. 😂

• Haha 1

I guess since we have time before the final audition, we could maybe think of pairings/predictions for George and Guy's team? (or at least George's team since we know Guy ends up with one extra)

Team George:

Andy Dexterity

Angela Fabian

Caleb Jago-Ward

Clarissa Spata

Despina Savva

Jonathon Welch

Nathan Isaac

Ricky Muscat

Roxane LeBrasse

Sebastian Coe

Siala Robinson

Virginia Lillye

Team Guy (minus one)

Adam Ludewig

Bukhu Ganburged

Elyse Sene-Lefao

Jimi the Kween

Johnny Manuel

Josh Pywell

Kirby Burgess

Luke Biscan

Natalie Gauci

Stephanie Cole

Timothy Bowen

Xy Latu

5 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Playoffs is basically the first live rounds and the last round where there are team quotas. The post-KO teams are whittled down to 3 artists per team, some of which are selected by the public, while the others are selected by the coach (this varies with the season). For the last few seasons except Season 18, a 13th artist is added to the mix via a Wildcard vote.

Thanks for that! Do you know if this year's US format is shorter than usual? Having a look at their rounds, it seems like it goes from playoffs straight to 2 nights of semi-finals and then the grand finale.

That's considerably shorter than what our Aus version usually looks like: it's usually 10 blind eps, 3 knockouts, 2 battles, 5 live shows. 

1 minute ago, Someone648 said:

I guess since we have time before the final audition, we could maybe think of pairings/predictions for George and Guy's team? (or at least George's team since we know Guy ends up with one extra)

After Bukhu's audition he did a radio interview where they asked him what he would do for the next round because he's so unique. Guy said that he has another unique voice who hasn't been shown yet -> that would point to Stephanie Cole who had that strange tone like Tones & I. 

Posted (edited)

If I were pairing up George's team:

Clarissa Spata vs. Jonathon Welch (one of the easier pairings. I imagine there would be a steal here - and there was an implication above that Delta follows Clarissa so maybe that ended up happening, just the opposite of what I'm predicting here?)

Angela Fabian vs. Roxane LeBrasse (big female vocalists, pretty straightforward reasoning for me)

Despina Savva vs. Sebastian Coe (the two young contestants on his team - neither really fits with any other contestant)

Caleb Jago-Ward vs. Virginia Lillye (this one's a stretch... but Caleb's last time on the show was full of a mix of contemporary pop/indie pop and classic rock/glam rock. Could be a good fit with Virginia)

Nathan Isaac vs. Andy Dexterity (They're both unique enough to be paired together if that makes sense?)

Siala Robinson vs. Ricky Muscat (These are both leftovers in that I can't really think of pairing them with anyone else, but I can imagine some sort of contemporary/upbeat track for them that allows Siala to rap and Ricky to sing along)

Edited by Someone648
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

Thanks for that! Do you know if this year's US format is shorter than usual? Having a look at their rounds, it seems like it goes from playoffs straight to 2 nights of semi-finals and then the grand finale.

That's considerably shorter than what our Aus version usually looks like: it's usually 10 blind eps, 3 knockouts, 2 battles, 5 live shows. 

It definitely was, there were only 3 planned live shows for Season 18 (Playoffs, Semifinals and Finale), and that was before the COVID-19 pandemic started.

It seems like the US franchise is transitioning to making the spring season much shorter than the fall season, probably due to NBC's programming.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Well you pretty much nailed my predictions for Team George so I'll go ahead with my Team Guy predictions. 😅

Adam Ludewig vs. Josh Pywell - young strapping men with big voices

Kirby Burgess vs. Jimi the Kween - dramatic theatrical singers with stage presence for days

Stephanie Cole vs. Elyse Sene-Lefao - big-voiced pop girls

Xy Latu vs. Johnny Manuel - 4 chair soul sangers

Timothy Bowen vs. Luke Biscan - introspective singer/songwriters

Natalie Gauci vs. Bukhu Ganburged - the leftovers, tbh! But I can totally see a scenario where this might be a very controversial pairing.

Edited by mjdolorico

7 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Natalie Gauci vs. Bukhu Ganburged - the leftovers, tbh! But I can totally see a scenario where this might be a very controversial pairing.

I pretty much agree with all of them except swapping Natalie for Stephanie!! Guy says he matched Bukhu with someone who also has a very unique voice, and Stephanie fits the bill! Imagine that - her "cursive" singing with Bukhu's throat singing!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Well you pretty much nailed my predictions for Team George so I'll go ahead with my Team Guy predictions. 😅

Adam Ludewig vs. Josh Pywell - young strapping men with big voices

Kirby Burgess vs. Jimi the Kween - dramatic theatrical singers with stage presence for days

Stephanie Cole vs. Elyse Sene-Lefao - big-voiced pop girls

Xy Latu vs. Johnny Manuel - 4 chair soul sangers

Timothy Bowen vs. Luke Biscan - introspective singer/songwriters

I like these, but I can see switching Jimi and Natalie to result in Kirby/Natalie (strong female vocalists) and Bukhu/Jimi (they're both very distinct - but I listened to their auditions right now back to back and I can see some similarities that I think would fit much better than Natalie and Stephanie.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

I pretty much agree with all of them except swapping Natalie for Stephanie!! Guy says he matched Bukhu with someone who also has a very unique voice, and Stephanie fits the bill! Imagine that - her "cursive" singing with Bukhu's throat singing!

Are you by any chance referring to Soma Sutton instead of Stephanie Cole? Coz you made a reference earlier to Tones & I when describing Stephanie and Soma sounds way closer to Tones & I than Stephanie is. 

6 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I like these, but I can see switching Jimi and Natalie to result in Kirby/Natalie (strong female vocalists) and Bukhu/Jimi (they're both very distinct - but I listened to their auditions right now back to back and I can see some similarities that I think would fit much better than Natalie and Stephanie.

Ooo you right, that makes more sense! Bukhu is so hard to find a partner for! 

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

Anyone want to take a guess as to which match-up will be 'controversial' from Team Guy?

Taken from Sydney Morning Herald:

"Squabbles between the coaches are all part of the drama, but Sebastian insists any offence he is seen to take on set is real. One doozy with "the girls" (not Boy George, who Sebastian says has transformed into a Zen-like creature thanks to "meditation and lifestyle changes") hit hard.

"I’m not one of those people who can go, 'Oh, what happens on the set stays on the set’. I don’t believe that. Whenever there’s an argument, or it gets personal and nasty, I withdraw and I struggle to get over it. Our job is to showcase someone’s gift in a great way, so when that’s attacked and criticised for reasons that aren’t necessarily based on the right motives, I get defensive. There’s unresolved feelings because COVID hit right after we had a massive argument, and we haven’t been able to face each other."

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/expect-wow-moments-as-guy-sebastian-returns-to-the-voice-20200514-p54stv.html

Episode 9 rundown: such a strong group, I wish they would have made the episodes more even talent-wise because the last week there were a lot of fillers. Am I the only one who feels that the coaches mostly forgot about their blocks and only remembered towards the end of the auditions? 

1. Clarissa Spata: she was too good! I've got chills all over.

2. Elyse Sene-Lefao: amazing performance, the only tiny nitpick that I do have though is with the song. But she definitely crushed that.

3. Nathan Isaac: he gives me Freddie vibes, but only with his performing style, not so much his vocals. His voice is kinda weak, actually.

4. Graeme Isaako: he was fun and entertaining, I'm just not fully on board with his tone.