The Voice Australia Season 9

Teraginn

18 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

I agree there seems to be so much more drama in the Aus version - but I don't think that Delta's done that much at all. From what I remember, the only thing which was slightly controversial was when she chose to save Chriddy in the knockouts but when Chriddy decided to stick with Guy she saved Jesse instead. Slightly bending the rules last year when she's been there for 9 years is not much at all!

Kelly has been able to stretch the boundaries the most in my opinion - 2018 was the year that the DJ won and there was a lot of arguments about whether he could win when he's not really 'singing'. And then last season the rapper was able to perform his own songs in the knockouts when every other contestant had to do covers. 

No idea if the drama with Guy is actually true, however I'm guessing there's some controversy considering the other coaches were saying he was 'cheating' and the producer had to step in and talk to them about what was going to happen.

The only other drama I can remember with her was walking off stage when she became "annoyed" with Jessie J. And with the Chriddy/Jesse thing - I don't even see how that was drama. She still had her steal available and they hadn't dismissed Jesse yet at that point, so why would there be a complaint?

Australia's drama is so fabricated but so painfully obvious (but we love it to some degree nonetheless lol)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

What happened back then? I can't remember 😬

I think Jessie was giving some criticism to a contestant that had just auditioned and they'd framed it as Delta pretty much having enough of her crap and walking off for a bit (kind of like George after the Daniel Shaw incident minus a bunch of cursing)

Edit: found the clip

Edited by Someone648
  • Thanks 1

If we're gonna point at who the most dramatic Voice AU coach is, it's Kelly. Bringing a live looper to the live shows and winning with him, forming a duo on the spot during KOs, being mad at being called "beautiful" when she literally hits on every hot male contestant...... Should I keep going?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, mjdolorico said:

If we're gonna point at who the most dramatic Voice AU coach is, it's Kelly. Bringing a live looper to the live shows and winning with him, forming a duo on the spot during KOs, being mad at being called "beautiful" when she literally hits on every hot male contestant...... Should I keep going?

Queen!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Someone648 said:

And with the Chriddy/Jesse thing - I don't even see how that was drama. She still had her steal available and they hadn't dismissed Jesse yet at that point, so why would there be a complaint?

Agreed - Sonia even said there was no rule stopping her from getting Jesse and Boy George said 'that's cheating!' in a joking-sort-of-way.

The tabloids play a big part in the supposed drama as well- I'm not sure if it's just The Voice but trashy mags like New Idea/Woman's Weekly always sensationalise things said on the show, especially any jealousy and animosity between the coaches.

Anyone else seen this article about the coaches salaries pop up? It caused a 'frenzy' if you look at the comments but the story was from New Idea 🙄 

There's no way Kelly and George are coming over to Australia a few months every year to only get paid $500,000. They would have to be getting paid similar to Delta's 'rumoured figure', which I'm sure is not right either.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8374897/The-Voice-Australia-judges-rumoured-salaries-revealed.html

Edited by Rach88

29 minutes ago, Archanium said:

Ohh now we know why the contestant ended up with Guy, it was a one chair turn. :lmao:

Oh my gosh I didn't notice that!! You've got a good eye

Now I can understand why he was able to keep the contestant - it would have been unfair to the contestant if a coach turned for him yet he wasn't able to compete.

I was wondering why they let Guy keep him if other coaches had also turned around, but this explains it. They mustn't have had enough singers left for all the coaches to have 13 on their team.

What on earth was Guy thinking? It doesn't matter if the contestant had a great voice that you wanted, if your team is full that's it. 

P.S. I wonder why they decided to air this on Sunday? More viewers perhaps? Considering they already jumble up the order of the contestants, wouldn't it make sense to show this in the last episode of the blinds? That means Monday's episode might be a bore if Guy's team is already full and they've all only got 1 or 2 spots left

2 hours ago, Rach88 said:

Here's the promo for Sunday

Honestly, for me this is worse than what Kelly had done? She made a duo on the spot, which Jessie had done already in the past (Nasser Sisters). Then about Sam, well technically he still sings, he just made loops or something, then about Denzel, well rapping is a form of music of whatever. But what Guy/Production will do/did in this is so unfair to the other coaches. I mean, coaches might've wanted to turn to others even if they were full but didn't because it was against the rules, but Guy did and the production let that happened like wtf.

For me, this is honestly meant to be/scripted to happen, they would've disabled the button of the coaches that the teams are full or something. So disappointed 😐

It always happens when the teams are full and only one coach can turn, that someone appears singing well, and the other coaches wants to turn but can't. I don't believe what happend with Guy wasn't planned to be like that.

And I think maybe they will alllow the other coaches to turn for a 13th singer as well, that would explain why they are showing this controversy on Sunday. If not, there wouldnt be enough spots left for another episode on Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, searomordep said:

It always happens when the teams are full and only one coach can turn, that someone appears singing well, and the other coaches wants to turn but can't. I don't believe what happend with Guy wasn't planned to be like that.

And I think maybe they will alllow the other coaches to turn for a 13th singer as well, that would explain why they are showing this controversy on Sunday. If not, there wouldnt be enough spots left for another episode on Monday.

They may also have a 3-way battle😅

8 hours ago, searomordep said:

I thought that might be possible too - Guy has 1 spot left and the other 3 have 2 spots each, so that's 7 spots in total. Usually they do get through around 6-8 contestants in one episode so maybe they're all allowed an extra team member? Wouldn't be very fair though for 3 contestants to compete against each other in the next round with only 1 going through when the rest of the battles are only 2 singers. 

Not sure if they may have changed the order around, but this is the description of next week's episodes from the TV Guide:

Sunday: The coaches race to fill their final places as the blind auditions get close to the end.

Monday: The coaches complete their teams with the most dramatic ending to a Blinds series ever.

The promo looks like it's swapped the other way around, with 'the most dramatic ending' probably the 'dirtiest superstar clash of the year' which is supposedly airing tomorrow?

37 minutes ago, searomordep said:

I don't think they have changed it. I just think monday will be more drama as always hahah 

Hahah surely there's nothing more 'dramatic' than a coach getting an extra team member 😂

Also looking at this week's promo - if there's people that still believe the show is about singing then watch how the promo is literally just the coaches fighting and saying 'that's cheating' and 'it's not fair'. There's no contestant singing in the ads for this supposed 'singing show'

Interesting topic for discussion:

Would The Voice be the most expensive TV show in Australia? I can't recall any other show which requires as much 'talent'. 
Most shows rely either on a host (Hamish for Lego Masters, Sophie Monk for Love Island) or judges (3 judges on Masterchef/MKR), but to have 2 well-known Aussie coaches + 2 overseas coaches (accommodation would likely be paid by Nine for their stay) and now the addition of 2 hosts (1 of which has to be flown from overseas as well) would have to be expensive. 
The prize money is a drop in the bucket for Nine ($100,000 is quite ordinary) but there's also the production, especially in the finals where each contestant has a set built for them each week. 
Is the show actually worth the budget?

Took a little time off and now I'm back. And the auditions are still not over yet. Yikes.

Anyway here are my comments from episode 6 onward:

Episode 6

1. Angela Fabian: she is awesome. I'm not religious but she made me feel something almost spiritual.

2. Xy Latu: he might have done too much with it at times, but still a solid audition. It just wasn't memorable to me.

3. Elishia Semaan: I personally like the song choice, but I think everyone can unanimously agree that it's not suited for a singing show. Also, she's kinda fodder-ish.

4. Natalie Gauci: this is an even worse song choice, and the arrangement drags it out to be extremely repetitive and monotonous. She also didn't sound like she's fully capable of hitting the big notes. I'm actually bewildered how she won Australian Idol. She must have been a lot better then.

Episode 7

1. Johnny Manuel: it's a crime they slotted his audition so late in the process. He deserves at least premiere week pimp spot with this performance.

2. Claudia Harrison: opera and folk? I'm intrigued.

3. Bo'Ness: they seem cool. I'm not familiar with the song but I like it. One of them seem to be better than the other though, as is the case with most duos.

4. Emma Mylott: I just think she needs more energy. It's a fun song and she sucked the life out of it. But the vocals were there.

5. Lyric McFarland: is it just me or she sounds winded the whole way through? Mash-ups are usually more misses than hits for me though.

6. Andy Dexterity: inspirational message aside, he sang like 4 lines and got 4 chairs to turn, mainly out of curiosity. This feels extremely gimmicky. At least Sam Perry used his voice.

Episode 8

1. Mark Furze: the only good audition in this episode for me. Australia really loves their rockers.

2. Jonathon Welch: he's not bad, but I just love this song too much that I set an incredibly high bar for it.

3. Ricky Muscat: he's similar to C Major, but not as memorable by far.

4. Callum Gleeson: Detla's picked up a lot of fodders now.

22 hours ago, searomordep said:

I don't think they have changed it. I just think monday will be more drama as always hahah 

Looks like TV Tonight also thinks they're deliberately showing the cheating scandal as promo for tonight when it's actually happening on Monday

https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/06/is-the-voice-promo-correct.html

Also the interview the hosts did today sheds a bit of light to the 'scandal'. Darren mentions that it shouldn't have been allowed but it would not have been fair to the contestant if this didn't happen. Guy also ends up with an 'advantage' compared to the rest of the coaches. I'm guessing this means Guy's allowed the extra team member but the other coaches don't

https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/status/1271932084228145155?s=20

Edited by Rach88
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

Looks like TV Tonight also thinks they're deliberately showing the cheating scandal as promo for tonight when it's actually happening on Monday

It is definitely a possibility! But the latest trailer still says "You must see tonight" about the scandal. 

1 minute ago, searomordep said:

It is definitely a possibility! But the latest trailer still says "You must see tonight" about the scandal. 

Ooo interesting! I haven't seen the latest promo yet.

I'm guessing they might end on a cliffhanger. Guy gets his "final" team member early tonight and then turns around right at the end of the episode -then they're showing the outcome tomorrow night. If we're correct in that the 'cheating scandal' is Guy turning around when his team is already full, they would have to let him get the extra team member which Darren says is an 'advantage'. Don't really see how it 'changes the entire season' - probably just means Guy needs to get rid of an extra contestant in the next round. Or maybe he forms a duo with 2 of his contestants?

2 minutes ago, searomordep said:

That's what makes sense the most. I think that's it. 

Yeah - of course Nine spreads the 'drama' over the last 2 episodes. If it was all resolved tonight then tomorrow would be a very boring blinds seeing as there's only 7 spots left and there's still 2 more episodes to go (usually they can get through around 6-8 contestants in one episode). 

5 minutes ago, searomordep said:

About the scandal changing the entire season, they're probably just exaggerating

Hahaha they sure do love to exaggerate - unless all the coaches were getting an extra contestant and they were changing up the battles/playoffs, this probably just means Guy has to have a 3-way battle. Darren says it's an advantage but I don't really think it is - unless Guy gets to take 1 more contestant through each round compared to the rest of the coaches there's nothing to really gain from having an extra contestant.