5. Jonny 6.5/10

6. Jovin 6/10

7. Sophia 5.5/10

8. Francisco 5.5/10

9. Grace 5.5/10

10. Dillon 5/10 

11. Louis 4/10

👍👏👍

1. Just Sam - “Grandma’s Hands” (Bill Withers)

2. Julia Gargano - “New York State of Mind” (Billy Joel)

3. Sophia James - “In My Room” (The Beach Boys)

👍👍

4. Jonny West - “Faithfully” (Journey)

5. Makayla Phillips - “The House That Built Me” (Miranda Lambert)

👍

6. Jovin Webb - “Voodoo” (Allen Stone)

7. Louis Knight - “In My Place” (Coldplay)

8. Arthur Gunn - “Take Me Home, Country Roads” (John Denver)

🤔

9. Francisco Martin - “Falling Like the Stars” (James Arthur)

10. Grace Leer - “Over the Rainbow” (Judy Garland)

11. Dillon James - “Yesterday” (The Beatles)

•  

1. Julia (surprised she made it, but loved this performance)

2. Jovin (same as above)

3. Arthur 

4. Francisco

5. Makayla

6. Jonny

2. Sam (love her but didn't love the song choice for her)

8. Sophia

9. Dillon (disappointed because I adore this guy)

10. Louis

11. Grace

6/1 Dillon James - “Yesterday” (The Beatles) - Every time Dillion sings, I can immediately recognize his voice. 

6/10 Jonny West - “Faithfully” (Journey) - He did his own version, well done.  The band is a little too loud.

5/10 Julia Gargano - “New York State of Mind” (Billy Joel) -  The performance was okay,  it didn't go anywhere but solid vocals. 

5/10 Louis Knight - “In My Place” (Coldplay) - The Song choice was much better last week, IMP is totally a boring song imo. I still hope he will survive.

5/10 Francisco Martin - “Falling Like the Stars” (James Arthur) - One of my favorite songs last year, but Francisco did not sing with emotion, the song should have given to Louise.

5/10 Just Sam - “Grandma’s Hands” (Bill Withers) - I keep being underwhelmed by Sam tbh, I miss the hollywood week Sam.

5/10 Arthur Gunn - “Take Me Home, Country Roads” (John Denver) - His song choices including last week's are cosmic big question marks, so are the uninteresting arrangements.

5/10 Grace Leer - “Over the Rainbow” (Judy Garland) - Not bad but there was no elasticity or identifiability in this performance at all.

5/10 Jovin Webb - “Voodoo” (Allen Stone) - Steady voice as usual, I still didn't connect with him (=forgettable) though.

5/10 Sophia James - “In My Room” (The Beach Boys) - Sigh. I can't tolerate this song.

4/10 Makayla Phillips - “The House That Built Me” (Miranda Lambert) Beautiful tone, forgettable singing, bye.

1. Julia Gargano - “New York State of Mind” (Billy Joel)

2. Jonny West - “Faithfully” (Journey)

3. Arthur Gunn - “Take Me Home, Country Roads” (John Denver)

4. Grace Leer - “Over the Rainbow” (Judy Garland)

5. Louis Knight - “In My Place” (Coldplay)

6. Jovin Webb - “Voodoo” (Allen Stone)

7. Makayla Phillips - “The House That Built Me” (Miranda Lambert)

8. Dillon James - “Yesterday” (The Beatles)

9. Sophia James - “In My Room” (The Beach Boys)

10. Francisco Martin - “Falling Like the Stars” (James Arthur)

11. Just Sam - “Grandma’s Hands” (Bill Withers)

01. Grace Leer

02. Makayla Phillips

03. Arthur Gunn

04. Jonny West

05. Sophia James

06. Julia Gargano

07. Dillon James

08. Francisco Martin

09. Just Sam

10. Jovin Webb

11. Louis Knight 

The clear winners of the night:

1. Grace Leer

2. Makayla Phillips

Really strong as well:

3t. Jovin Webb

3t. Just Sam

Also good, but not quite as good: 

5. Sophia James

6. Julia Gargano

7. Arthur Gunn

8. Louis Knight

9. Francisco Martin

Yeah let's be honest even the worst performances of the night were not bad:

10. Jonny West

11. Dillon James

Let's put it this way: For me, the #11 performance from this show, with only 11 contestants, was roughly on par with the #11 performance from last week's show with 20.

1. Makayla Phillips - “The House That Built Me” (Miranda Lambert)

2. Julia Gargano - “New York State of Mind” (Billy Joel)

3. Dillon James - “Yesterday” (The Beatles)

4. Sophia James - “In My Room” (The Beach Boys)

5. Just Sam - “Grandma’s Hands” (Bill Withers)

6. Francisco Martin - “Falling Like the Stars” (James Arthur)

7. Grace Leer - “Over the Rainbow” (Judy Garland)

8. Louis Knight - “In My Place” (Coldplay)

9. Jovin Webb - “Voodoo” (Allen Stone)

10. Jonny West - “Faithfully” (Journey)

11. Arthur Gunn - “Take Me Home, Country Roads” (John Denver)

1.  Just Sam - “Grandma’s Hands” (Bill Withers) -- a better song choice puts her back at the top!

2.  Julia Gargano - “New York State of Mind” (Billy Joel) -- her best performance yet!  Great job!

3.  Sophia James - “In My Room” (The Beach Boys) -- such a lovely performance from her!

4.  Francisco Martin - “Falling Like the Stars” (James Arthur) -- best of the guys.  He might pass Arthur if he keeps this up.

5.  Grace Leer - “Over the Rainbow” (Judy Garland) -- I loved this performance but not only was it not really country, Kat McPhee knocked this song out of the park.

6.  Makayla Phillips - “The House That Built Me” (Miranda Lambert) -- I think this was good enough for her to move on but her needing to be saved might hurt her.

7.  Jonny West - “Faithfully” (Journey) -- it was good enough for him to move on and I like the song, but it wasn't great.

8.  Dillon James - “Yesterday” (The Beatles) -- very good but not quite good enough, in my opinion, for him to move on.

9.  Arthur Gunn - “Take Me Home, Country Roads” (John Denver) -- he was enjoyable, but it fell slightly flat for me.

10.  Jovin Webb - “Voodoo” (Allen Stone) -- it wasn't my cup of tea but he sang it well.

11.   Louis Knight - “In My Place” (Coldplay) -- like Luke, I wasn't really blown away by this performance.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:48 PM, sublymonal said:

Anyone ranking Arthur/Grace above 10 and 11 shocks me. What were y'all listening to?

Honestly, absolutely nowhere that you could rank Arthur would shock me, because he dramatically rearranged a classic song. It's the type of performance that I'd inherently expect there to be a wide variance of opinions on it. 

Grace, on the other hand...what were you listening to? When a contestant sings a song that's been done on the show before, it's only natural to compare their performances to those past performances. I did exactly that, and ruled Grace vs. Katharine to be a push, at least on the pure singing (Kat obviously got the advantage of the Idol staging).

But even without having that comparison to make, Grace got my love on that song on its own merits--which is not an easy task, because I have a nostalgia filter on certain ballads that's very tough to break, namely songs that my mother sang to me as lullabies when I was little. Over the Rainbow is one of them. So is Somewhere, and I judged Jeremiah very harshly on that song last year; it hit the 90s on WNTS anyway.

Other songs that meet this that have been performed on the show at least once include, but are not limited to, My Funny Valentine, Summertime, and Wind Beneath My Wings. And that last one is particularly notable, because I've never deemed a performance of it on this show to meet my standards, not even when performed by the literal reason I joined Twitter. (Yes, really. Back when the official American Idol website had its own forums, I was the one who started the topic for Skylar Laine's fan club. Joined Twitter to help spread the hype. Absolutely adore her, but I hate that Wind Beneath My Wings ended up as her highest-rated performance on WNTS because I honestly didn't think it was that good. Though I recognize that she was a bit too country to ever get the type of unanimous support needed to get a truly high rating).

I bring all this up to underscore my point, that Over the Rainbow is not a song that I'd throw out a high rating on lightly. Any little flaw in one of those songs, I will tear apart. Grace didn't have any. I feel like, if anything, I underrated her; yes, I used Kat's WNTS score from S5 to come up with a number, but like I said...Jeremiah exceeded that number on Somewhere. Which is, of course, laughable.

Julia - Stellar. Best vocals, I've heard from her. Top notch

Just Sam - Awesome  …. vocally, and … she's got a strong presence

Jovin Webb - Great vocals & performance

Makayla - She's not one of my faves, but … she did really good

Sophia - Enjoyed her performance. Could have picked a better song, IMO

Jonny - Good performance. He was very much at ease

Dillon - Still one of my faves. I love his voice, but not his strongest performance

Francisco - Vocally, really good. He just doesn't pull me in.

Grace  - Still one of my faves, but … don't yell during Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Arthur  - Don't sing the same song, with a different title & beat 

Louis - I don't get the appeal. He sang good enough, but .. boring

10 hours ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

Honestly, absolutely nowhere that you could rank Arthur would shock me, because he dramatically rearranged a classic song. It's the type of performance that I'd inherently expect there to be a wide variance of opinions on it. 

Grace, on the other hand...what were you listening to? When a contestant sings a song that's been done on the show before, it's only natural to compare their performances to those past performances. I did exactly that, and ruled Grace vs. Katharine to be a push, at least on the pure singing (Kat obviously got the advantage of the Idol staging).

But even without having that comparison to make, Grace got my love on that song on its own merits--which is not an easy task, because I have a nostalgia filter on certain ballads that's very tough to break, namely songs that my mother sang to me as lullabies when I was little. Over the Rainbow is one of them. So is Somewhere, and I judged Jeremiah very harshly on that song last year; it hit the 90s on WNTS anyway.

Other songs that meet this that have been performed on the show at least once include, but are not limited to, My Funny Valentine, Summertime, and Wind Beneath My Wings. And that last one is particularly notable, because I've never deemed a performance of it on this show to meet my standards, not even when performed by the literal reason I joined Twitter. (Yes, really. Back when the official American Idol website had its own forums, I was the one who started the topic for Skylar Laine's fan club. Joined Twitter to help spread the hype. Absolutely adore her, but I hate that Wind Beneath My Wings ended up as her highest-rated performance on WNTS because I honestly didn't think it was that good. Though I recognize that she was a bit too country to ever get the type of unanimous support needed to get a truly high rating).

I bring all this up to underscore my point, that Over the Rainbow is not a song that I'd throw out a high rating on lightly. Any little flaw in one of those songs, I will tear apart. Grace didn't have any. I feel like, if anything, I underrated her; yes, I used Kat's WNTS score from S5 to come up with a number, but like I said...Jeremiah exceeded that number on Somewhere. Which is, of course, laughable.

Grace was flat for the majority of her performance. Arthur’s reggae version of country roads was an atrocity. I also don’t find his tone pleasant at all.

Posted (edited)
1. Julia Gargano: “New York State of Mind”
2. Francisco Martin: “Falling Like The Stars”
3. Johnny West: “Faithfully”
4. Sophia James: “In My Room”
5. Louis Knight: “In My Place” 
6. Grace Leer: “Somewhere Over The Rainbow”
7. Just Sam: “Grandma’s Hands”
8. Jovin Webb: “Voodoo”
9. Mikayla Phillips: “The House That Built Me”
10. Arthur Gunn: “Take Me Home, Country Roads”
11. Dillon James: “Yesterday”