Pimped contestants that failed to deliver, and silent killers that rose to the top.

Misirlou

Got the idea from TeamAudra in a thread, name the contestants who were quite pimped in pre-lives (pimp spots, featured in premieres, good edits), but once the lives hit  they failed to deliver and they ultimately ended up eliminated earlier than expected. 

1. Regina Love (S9)

2. Jej Vinson (S16)

3. Casi Joy (S12)

4. Jason Warrior (S11)

5. Dave Fenley (S15)

6. Terrence Cunningham (S14)

7. Luke Wade (S7)

Also, name the contestants that had the "silent killer" trayectory AKA, people who were barely noticed in pre-lives and managed to snag a PV or CS on over more popular people.

1. Laith Al Saadi (S10)

2. Jesse Larson (S12)

3. Andrew Sevener (S16)

4. Chris Kroeze (S15)

5. Sharane Calister (S14)

6. Zach Seabaugh (S9)
7. Myracle Holloway (S17)

• Like 1

curious on your reasoning for Regina Love. I don't remember her being pimped or there being any expectations for her lol. Same for Jason Warrior. Neither were really pimped.

Was Casi Joy pimped? I feel like she wasn't but I only vaguely remember her. Don't recall Dave being pimped either. I do not remember Luke Wade at all.

Agree with Terrence and Jej. You could probably add SandyRedd, Matthew Schuler, Christiana Danielle, Janice Freeman (although I don't necessarily think she failed to deliver. I just think Miley overestimated her fanbase), Bria Kelly, MaryBeth (she had the highest blind audition ratings on the app), Celia Babini, Kyndal Inskeep ...I could go on.

Following your 2nd description, I guess Oliv Blu

lol Nick Hagelin...I don't even exactly remember how he ended up on team Christina, but I remember her being pissed when he got a PV over Bryan Bautista. Then he went on to last 4 more weeks.

Shalyah Fearing? I recall her PV performance getting such a crazy reaction from the audience (I still till this day don't understand it. It was kind of messy), she went on to be be the highest iTunes seller for that week. I do not think she was on anyone's radar. Yeah she had a great knockout but still. She was always expected to hit the bottom but I think she remained safe all the up until her instant elimination in the bloodbath. 

I don't know if these fit the "barely noticed" description but:

Ryan Sill was like that bad rash that would not go away.

How Sugar Joans made it as far as she did is still a case for the FBI.

Edited by joe14

11 minutes ago, joe14 said:

curious on your reasoning for Regina Love. I don't remember her being pimped or there being any expectations for her lol. Same for Jason Warrior. Neither were really pimped.

Was Casi Joy pimped? I feel like she wasn't but I only vaguely remember her. Don't recall Dave being pimped either. I do not remember Luke Wade at all.

Dave had two performances leaked, and had a pimp spot. He was considered a serious threat to win it all, but fell flat in lives.

Luke Wade was the first audition of  season 7 and was featured in the premiere of Battles and KOs, and he closed them both. He was Team Pharrell´s frontrunner, but he messed up his T12 performance and never came back from that. Pharrell´s song choices didn´t help him as well.

Casi had two pimp spots and was featured in the premiere of Battles and KOs, and she was considered to be Blake´s frontrunner at the time, until Lauren overshadowed her in the playoffs. Jason was the first audition of his season as well, had his battle leak, and was in all three premieres. I agree that people didn´t really had that much hope for him, but many expected him to be a CS, the same goes for Regina, but they both tanked in playoffs,  which is why I put them there. 

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Ryan Sill was like that bad rash that would not go away.

🤣

The other ones on the "Silent Killer" list I'd put (from the post-Xtina/S10 era):

1. Oliv Blu (S16) - got montaged and beat out a 4-chair turn in her cross battle and was coach saved into the post-playoffs (granted, Blake didn't have that many options, but still) before being eliminated the next week.
  2. Red Marlow (S13) - received zero pimp spots, plus they tried to toss him under the bus and get JHud onto the finale by giving Noah the final IS pimp slot and it should've happened  and yet he survived. 
  3. Adam Cunningham (S13) - made it almost to the finale despite his coach trying to get rid of him to focus exclusively on Addison; he was in the premiere for the knockouts so less of a "Silent Killer" than Red but he clearly wasn't supposed to survive the Instant Save two separate times - he also was responsible for the most controversial IS elimination of the season. 
  4. Aaron Gibson (S11) - A less "Silent Killer" but pimp slots for the Battles and KOs gets balanced out by three weeks of having to get the IS to move on.
Edited by VintageVoice
Incorrect information within my post.

5 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

🤣

The other ones on the "Silent Killer" list I'd put (from the post-Xtina/S10 era):

1. Oliv Blu (S16) - got montaged and beat out a 4-chair turn in her cross battle and was coach saved into the post-playoffs (granted, Blake didn't have that many options, but still) before being eliminated the next week.
  2. Shane Q (S17) - never leaked and TPTB tried hard to bus him but he survived multiple weeks after the playoffs. 
  3. Red Marlow (S13) - received zero pimp spots, plus they tried to toss him under the bus and get JHud onto the finale by giving Noah the final IS pimp slot and it should've happened  and yet he survived. 
  4. Adam Cunningham (S13) - made it almost to the finale despite his coach trying to get rid of him to focus exclusively on Addison; he was in the premiere for the knockouts so less of a "Silent Killer" than Red but he clearly wasn't supposed to survive the Instant Save two separate times - he also was responsible for the most controversial IS elimination of the season. 
  5. Aaron Gibson (S11) - A less "Silent Killer" but pimp slots for the Battles and KOs gets balanced out by three weeks of having to get the IS to move on.

Wasn’t Shane’s blind leaked? I feel like he was pumped a lot during pre lives but IDF hated him so no one expected him to go through

2 minutes ago, rp3598 said:

Wasn’t Shane’s blind leaked? I feel like he was pumped a lot during pre lives but IDF hated him so no one expected him to go through

Lemme go find it, if it was then I'll edit him out.

Edit: yup, going back and fixing that. My bad.

Edited by VintageVoice

The “Silent Killer” category should probably include Sundance and Chevel. As I explained a few days ago, they weren’t bussed, but neither got much help from TPTB. Both were made to stand on stage during a results show, until they were the last one called safe, which is something they don’t do to TCOs. Neither ever had a pimp spot, and they weren’t on anyone’s radar as a potential winner until the live shows. Chevel started her ascent with her KO. I’m not sure about Sundance. Looking on Wiki, I’m reminded he sang “The Climb” for his KO, which I didn’t care for. He didn’t have much competition in his season.  

51 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

The “Silent Killer” category should probably include Sundance and Chevel. As I explained a few days ago, they weren’t bussed, but neither got much help from TPTB. Both were made to stand on stage during a results show, until they were the last one called safe, which is something they don’t do to TCOs. Neither ever had a pimp spot, and they weren’t on anyone’s radar as a potential winner until the live shows. Chevel started her ascent with her KO. I’m not sure about Sundance. Looking on Wiki, I’m reminded he sang “The Climb” for his KO, which I didn’t care for. He didn’t have much competition in his season.  

I feel like Sundance started to take off when he sang Alicia's song.  I could be wrong tho...I generally try to block that season from memory.

Edited by ATX29
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ATX29 said:

I feel like Sundance started to take off when he sang Alicia's song.  I could be wrong tho...I generally try to block that season from memory.

Pretty much, he got the first Itunes bonus of the season there, and started to give Billy and Wé, the former frontrunners of the season, some serious competition.

56 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Pre-top 11 Sundance, I'd agree with; after he started working in more creative song flips, he got those iTunes bonuses easily.

Chevel was less silent than Chris, given she was the one not-Blake country artist; however, despite good iTunes sales numbers in the later part of the live shows, she didn't get the then-brand-new streaming bonus at any point. 

1 hour ago, rp3598 said:

TPTB treated him like Kelly´s frontrunner in pre-lives (4 chair, premiere battles), but turned their back massively on him on the lives. After he got Kelly´s save, you could see that they wanted him off, and he survived two weeks, so they gave him probably the most merciless bus I can recall, a Billy Ocean song that did not fit him at all, some poor sound system and an early spot. 

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

TPTB treated him like Kelly´s frontrunner in pre-lives (4 chair, premiere battles), but turned their back massively on him on the lives. After he got Kelly´s save, you could see that they wanted him off, and he survived two weeks, so they gave him probably the most merciless bus I can recall, a Billy Ocean song that did not fit him at all, some poor sound system and an early spot. 

Once they realized Hoot could be a serious contender (his KO got shown in the premiere and he got the pimp slot within Kelly's team during the playoffs), they pulled the "Shane Who?" card and worked harder to screw him over than any other contestant since Kyla Jade's finale bussing.

Just now, VintageVoice said:

Pre-top 11 Sundance, I'd agree with; after he started working in more creative song flips, he got those iTunes bonuses easily.

Chevel was less silent than Chris, given she was the one not-Blake country artist; however, despite good iTunes sales numbers in the later part of the live shows, she didn't get the then-brand-new streaming bonus at any point. 

She got it in the finale if i´m correct. 

I know Chris was a country artist on Team Blake, but he definitely was more silent than her. Chevel´s KO gave her the frontrunner status on Team Kelly and her playoff just solidified it. On Team Blake, Kirk was still the frontrunner at that point, and everyone expected Dave or Michael to get PV over Chris. And neither did it. He started to be a threat the week he got the bonus, and yet he still shocked people by ending up as the runner up instead of 3th or 4th. That guy was the silent killer of the season, just when you thought he was gone, he came back with something else.

5 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

She got it in the finale if i´m correct

I know Chris was a country artist on Team Blake, but he definitely was more silent than her. Chevel´s KO gave her the frontrunner status on Team Kelly and her playoff just solidified it. On Team Blake, Kirk was still the frontrunner at that point, and everyone expected Dave or Michael to get PV over Chris. And neither did it. He started to be a threat the week he got the bonus, and yet he still shocked people by ending up as the runner up instead of 3th or 4th. That guy was the silent killer of the season, just when you thought he was gone, he came back with something else.

They don’t announce the streaming. bonus for the finale, so we’ll never know. 

She got it in the finale if i´m correct. 

I'm going off what Wikipedia's saying and there's nothing about who got the streaming bonus during the finale, though she did hit #1 in sales. 

Definitely agree that Chris was the silent killer - and I firmly believe that the plan Blake had for the playoffs was Kirk and either Dave or Michael joining him for PV, and then between Dave and Michael whichever didn't get the PV he'd save. Though people were pissed about him saving Dave over Michael after Chris got the PV, I get it; people didn't expect Dave to flop and country does better on the show than blues/rock generally speaking.

9 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

S15: Kennedy Holmes lmao, majorly pimped and didn't even get a Semifinals PV. 4th for her was hilarious, Kirk in 3rd was too. 

Lmao this don't make no sense...she definitely delivered if we are talking performances. And she made the finale either way. According to you, we would be adding Britton and Christina Grimmie to this list as well

Add Spensha Baker to the "silent killer" list. I forgot about her. She is like the real definition of silent killer.

i would also say Tessanne Chin. People acknowledged she was good but I don't think anyone thought she was a threat. Her breakout moment was top 5 week. But she doesn't fit the  "barely noticed" description.

Edited by joe14
  • Like 1

Forgot about Damien in S7 for the silent killer type, despite him being a 4 chair, he wasn´t considered a threat at all, and his victory over Toia Jones remains one of the most controversial decisions ever. On top of that, Taylor Phelan was considered a lock for PV on Team Adam alongside Matt, but Damien got it instead, and managed to shock everyone again and outlasted Team Gwen´s frontrunner TJW, who TPTB was clearly pushing into the finale for the new coach.  

3 hours ago, joe14 said:

Lmao this don't make no sense...she definitely delivered if we are talking performances. And she made the finale either way. According to you, we would be adding Britton and Christina Grimmie to this last as well

Add Spensha Baker to the "silent killer" list. I forgot about her. She is like the real definition of silent killer.

i would also say Tessanne Chin. People acknowledged she was good but I don't think anyone thought she was a threat. Her breakout moment was top 5 week. But she doesn't fit the  "barely noticed" description.

Delivered? Hmmmm, I think my view on it would go in the unpopular opinions section then, cause besides her Top 11(even not the best performance of the night), she didn't give it all she could. 

20 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

S15: Kennedy Holmes lmao, majorly pimped and didn't even get a Semifinals PV. 4th for her was hilarious, Kirk in 3rd was too. 

My theory is she was third with the PV but Chris getting the streaming bonus pushed her into the middle three.

Other contestants that struggled in the live shows: 

• Matthew Schuler (S5) - "Hallelujah" was his peak, if it'd happened later than the top 12 he could've floated through to the semifinals rather than getting cut at the top 6
  • James Wolpert (S5) - I still relisten to his BA 6 years later but other than "A Case of You" he didn't quite hit that level in the lives
  • Taylor Phelan (S7) - his biggest problem was after getting a triple steal in the KOs, he picked the team with the highest concentration of talented male not-country singers and got lost in the shuffle
  • Terrence Cunningham (S14) - he earned every one of those chair turns but didn't have a chance against other more popular contestants on his team
  • SandyRedd (S15) - her BA was basically a concert performance but she didn't hit that level again
  • Dave Fenley (S15) - his BA and battle showed him as a serious contender but then in the lives he had to be saved into post-playoffs, which was the beginning of the end
  • Jej Vinson (S16) - pimping him as Kelly's front runner made it that much more obvious she had no idea how to do any R&B singers justice via song choice
  • Marybeth Byrd (S17) - she was never the sole front runner on team John given Katie Kadan's existence, but her last two performances were not anywhere near the level people had come to expect

4 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

pimping him as Kelly's front runner made it that much more obvious she had no idea how to do any R&B singers justice via song choice

Neither the coaches nor the contestants have too much power over song choices. From what I heard, they are only given a few songs to choose from. Sometimes these options are all bad and that's probably what happened with Jej. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainOggy6320 said:

Neither the coaches nor the contestants have too much power over song choices. From what I heard, they are only given a few songs to choose from. Sometimes these options are all bad and that's probably what happened with Jej. 

Yes, most of the time they get to choose from a few songs. I can´t begin to imagine what were the other horrible song choices suggested to TMH for him to choose "Somebody to Love" in the 4 way KO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaptainOggy6320 said:

Yes, most of the time they get to choose from a few songs. I can´t begin to imagine what were the other horrible song choices suggested to TMH for him to choose "Somebody to Love" in the 4 way KO.

Fair, but still. We've seen pop/R&B male singers make it past the top 13 before - some have made the finale and a few have won. It's possible to choose songs that aren't going to tank a contestant and if we can have umpteen gazillion country singers at once without complaining, why not try and help those that stick out for their genre by not intentionally tanking them?

As for TMH, I imagine that TPTB went through the Songland setlist from last season and picked three that they thought might be workable and he picked the one that was closest to his wheelhouse (OneRepublic is a lot closer to rock than Aloe Blacc, the Jonas Brothers, or Macklemore) - why they decided to single him out instead of using that tactic on all four of the 4-way KOs, I don't know, but it's mighty suspect that he's the only one they forced way out of his musical lane; that's a subject for a different threat. 

Silent Killers... TESS BOYER Season 6 says hello?

• She got her BA montaged,
  • then lost a battle with Bria and got stolen,
  • then lost another battle with Jake W and got stolen again
  • in Playoffs gave an amazing performance and advanced to top 12 (Ok, she was in Team Shakira which was flopping anyway, but whatever)
  • ok, she got only to top 10, but she outlasted a guy, who had his BA shown in Top 12, which is very rare and I think that was a big accomplishment. 

Also if I remember that good, in season 7, Damien and Taylor John were much more pimped than Chris, but in the semifinals he won with both of them.

• Like 1