idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
m1key

What Not To Sing (WNTS) Discussion

Lol Francisco went down to a 78 leaving Julia's New York State of Mind. Hopefully we can get a 5 star performance in the finale, but I highly doubt it.

Ratings are up! The reprises made up the Top 5 performances of the night and Jonny tops the whole thing with a 74 

Posted (edited)

So in the end, the discussion about whether to honor any "perfect games" is all but moot. Only two finalists actually ended with perfect games, one of whom needed a "save" just to avoid being a semifinalist.

Back when they first conceived of the idea of a "perfect game", they said that the easiest way to do it would be to make it through the semifinals, then put up a forgettable performance in the low 50s early in the finals, noting that some contestants had come close to just that, with their final performances being their first sub-50s and still being very respectable (I believe S2's Vanessa Olivarez and S6's Stephanie Edwards were the ones they mentioned). And that is certainly what Sophia did. 55, 54, gone. And I consider that about right. She was decent but unremarkable. I'd be willing to honor that one, even if it seems ridiculous that a contestant who never even hit 4 stars could be considered for that honor. As for Makayla, the fact that she never advanced on America's vote even once probably disqualifies her, except that's totally not how it works given how close Olivia Rox came in S15.

Edited by ScarletDevilCCX

Julia had the highest rating performance of the season. Love it 👏

4 hours ago, Sept390 said:

Julia had the highest rating performance of the season. Love it 👏

Yup!! Well deserved. Magnificent performance.

And .. I'm just going to say, that the poor rating on "Beauty & The Beast", wouldn't have happened, if the sound engineers, would have had her vocal up in the mix. It sounded like she was weak, when that is not the case. Her voice was low, and under, the loud music, barely audible, during the first bars, of the song.  Sound mix, can make or break a performance. I know that, from personal experience. The contrast, between the mix that Francisco got, and what Julia got, is a vast difference.

1 hour ago, psterina said:

Yup!! Well deserved. Magnificent performance.

And .. I'm just going to say, that the poor rating on "Beauty & The Beast", wouldn't have happened, if the sound engineers, would have had her vocal up in the mix. It sounded like she was weak, when that is not the case. Her voice was low, and under, the loud music, barely audible, during the first bars, of the song.  Sound mix, can make or break a performance. I know that, from personal experience. The contrast, between the mix that Francisco got, and what Julia got, is a vast difference.

Definitely, there's no way anyone could have gotten more than 2 stars on BnB with that cheesy arrangement and bad sound mixing. Kind of a shame when the rest of Julia's performances were solid or above average.

I'm dead @ the current S18 average being better than seasons 1-7, 9, and 14-17 though.

56 minutes ago, Bsti said:

Definitely, there's no way anyone could have gotten more than 2 stars on BnB with that cheesy arrangement and bad sound mixing. Kind of a shame when the rest of Julia's performances were solid or above average.

I'm dead @ the current S18 average being better than seasons 1-7, 9, and 14-17 though.

Small sample sizes. We had a good cast this year, and America was mostly on point with their eliminations.

6 hours ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

Small sample sizes. We had a good cast this year, and America was mostly on point with their eliminations.

That makes sense. Also, it's a lot harder to give a trainwreck performance in the comfort of your own home.

Haven't finished watching the show yet but I can't believe Sam got such a low score for Stronger, I thought she killed it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BrokenHearted said:

Haven't finished watching the show yet but I can't believe Sam got such a low score for Stronger, I thought she killed it. 

Stronger is just one of those no-no songs that you can't pick no matter what. 

Honestly I think Sam deserved this win. I wasn't a fan of her during the competition (I liked Francisco and Dillon more going into the show), but I'm surprised her ratings are so low in general. I think she had both the best first round and second round performance, and also the second best Disney performance. If she didn't make weird song choices in the finals (based on only 6 performances, though) I think she could've been one of my favorites and I'd have been a lot more excited for her win.

Edited by Wallowalle

Wanna know something crazy? The semifinals in seasons 4-7 + 9 had more performances than this entire season.

3 hours ago, Wallowalle said:

Wanna know something crazy? The semifinals in seasons 4-7 + 9 had more performances than this entire season.

Yep. And Season 11 had exactly 55 performances before the Top 10 were revealed.

On 5/18/2020 at 8:42 PM, BrokenHearted said:

It’s a Kelly Clarkson song.  Even if you have good reason to choose a Kelly Clarkson song (and I believe Just Sam had good reason to choose that song), you’ll still  always be compared to her and more often than not, you’ll come out on the short end of the stick.

Posted (edited)

So ratings for the Finale have gone silver...If Just Sam makes the Top 11, she wins CSAB, too. If it's Cyniah who makes the Top 11, or if there's only a Top 10...

I think it's Lauren Spencer-Smith. The fact that there was a reprise round means she does get a leg up on Makayla, and Francisco's performances were 50 and 37. Her reprise would be right around 50 as well, and her last projected rating would still be in the 40s.

Edit: Oh, huh, I still have a tab with the bronze-star ratings. Here's the changes:

The big movers were Arthur's "I Don't Want To Be" and Francisco's "Alaska", in opposite directions. The former went from 35 points and last place on the evening to 46 points and 7th, while the latter dropped from 60 points and third place to 50 points and tied for 5th. Neither of Jonny's performances moved a single point, but with "Stronger" also gaining, "You Can't Keep a Good Man Down" dropped from 7th to 9th, putting him just one spot away from a McPhee (but further than it'd seem, as "Adore You" dropped a few points. ...I think Francisco's bronze-star numbers would've been good enough for the CSAB title.) Dillon overtook Jonny for tops on the night overall, 120-118, with both of his numbers rising from the preliminary numbers. 

Posted (edited)

And we've got gold! The s.d. for the season was so low that they said that a "proper" normalization would put the top performances of the year in range of the all-time record, and the bottom performance of the year at a negative 4. So they literally "flattened the curve".

As for CSAB, we do have a conclusive 11th place finisher for the Top 20, and it is indeed Just Sam (still at a 49; Cyniah's dropped to a 48.) So yeah, the decision whether to go with 10 or 11 coming out of that episode will literally decide the winner. And if Sam is cut there, it would indeed be LSS, her lone performance now up to a 67--but possibly only because the finale had a reprise round, as what little data we have on people using projected ratings off a 67 average suggests that even though she's only going to them one performance earlier, it'd just barely be enough to put her behind Makayla's 60.5 average. Like, probably technically the same numerical ratings close.

Speaking of Miss Spencer-Smith, the truncated season allowed her to become the first semifinalist to ever put a performance into a season's Top 10. Then again, prior to this season, the lowest the cutoff for the Top 10 had ever been was 76 (last year). Only 7 semifinalists ever had a performance grade out at 76 or higher, the record being 79 by Suzy Vulaca and Lauren Turner, and none of the seven came in a season with fewer than 11 5-star performances (Suzy in particular didn't even make her season's Top 20--S3 is one of only two seasons with over 20 5-star performances, and the other is S13, which had the most total performances and had them heavily weighed towards the best contestants.)

And CSAB is off! The counselors did ultimately rule that they'd be taking 11 contestants, not 10, which means I think the final punchline may involve the U.S. and Canada at war. 

6 minutes ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

And CSAB is off! The counselors did ultimately rule that they'd be taking 11 contestants, not 10

Probably for the best. Otherwise Sam would've become the first winner not to even make the finals.

If only the Top 11 in CSAB couldve been the real one :///

From their FaceBook:

And, there's a surprise coming next episode -- in Ryan Seacrest hype terms "a shocking twist that we never saw coming!!!" (Seriously, it caught me completely off guard, and it strongly affected the rest of the competition. The fact that we didn't do a full normalization this year had one unintended consequence to CSAB.)

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2020 at 12:36 PM, Elliott said:

Probably for the best. Otherwise Sam would've become the first winner not to even make the finals.

Whereas Lauren Spencer-Smith would've become the first CSAB winner to not make the real finals.  Except probably not really because it looks like Johnny would've made the finale? 

On 6/21/2020 at 7:13 PM, Elliott said:

From their FaceBook:

And, there's a surprise coming next episode -- in Ryan Seacrest hype terms "a shocking twist that we never saw coming!!!" (Seriously, it caught me completely off guard, and it strongly affected the rest of the competition. The fact that we didn't do a full normalization this year had one unintended consequence to CSAB.)

Ah, yes, that. I even noted on the previous page that the jump between preliminary and final ratings brought him from "not even able to edge out Grace Leer for 5th in the event that Just Sam gets cut at Top 20 (which was doubly possible because prior to normalization, she was tied with Cyniah)" to "able to beat out Sophia James for 5th even in the event Just Sam does make it." But with the decay curve dropping like crazy, I was wrong on two points: Jonny couldn't beat out Sophia, and Grace wouldn't have beaten out Kimmy in Top 11 anyway.