Films of the Decade Rankdown

Hidden Figures 

The_official_poster_for_the_film_Hidden_

giphy.gif

Hidden Figures is a 2016 biographical drama film directed by Theodore Melfi and it is based on the 2016 non-fiction book of the same name. The movie follows the story three brilliant African-American women, Ktherine G. Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson, who worked at NASA and served as the brains of one of NASA's greatest operations in history, the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit. The movie features an amazing cast: Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monae, Kevin Costner, Kirsten Dunst, Jim Parsons and Mahershala Ali. The movie was a major box office success making $236 Million against a budget of $25 Millions. Reviews were also great with many praising the performances of the three leads, the cinematography and the historical accuracy. However, some critics argued that it featured a white savior narrative, which happens almost 90% of the time a white director does a movie featuring non-white leads. Having said that, I really enjoyed the film and really like the three actress performances, specially that of Octavia Spencer, who even got nominated for Best Supporting Actress but rightfully lost to Viola Davis for Fences. The film currently holds a tomato score of 93% and a Metascore of 74/100. To however who has not watched the film, I really recommend it as it pretty great. Having said that I think it is a fair cut at this point.

Saving Animal Kingdom

gWlG1Ux.gif

• Sad 1
  • Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex95

• Deeee

• totes4totes

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/elliot-page-transgender-ellen-page-juno-umbrella-academy-1234843023/   Oscar-Nominated ‘Umbrella Academy’ Star Elliot Page Announces He Is Transgender

Coco Hopefully I picked a movie that is well liked but not absolutely loved. I guess we will see. If there is any way to make this a lesbian movie, please comment. I will make sure to add it

Posted Images

fences-580af961b17ef.png

tumblr_inline_omw2uvXgY41uw8hgi_540.gifv

Based on an incredibly popular play of the same name, Fences was released in 2016 where it was produced and directed by Denzel Washington. The movie stars Denzel Washington & Viola Davis after their Tony Award winning performance in 2010 for the play - also featured in the movie are Stephen McKinley Henderson. Jovan Adepo, Russell Hornsby, Mykelti Williamson and Saniyya Sidney. 

The movie follows the life of Troy Maxson and his wife Rose - Troy and Rose often have to deal with Troy's brother, Gabriel, who sustained an injury during WWII. Eventually, Gabriel decides to move out to live somewhere else which meant Troy will no longer receive rent money from his brother - the family is now facing financial difficulties.  We find out more about Troy's upbringing and the impact on his current relationship with one of his son who has an opportunity to make it as a football player - Troy who once had athletic ambitions failed & did not want his son to have the same outcome as him.  On top of all of this, we also finds out that Troy has been cheating on Rose with a woman whom ended up being pregnant - this lead to Troy having to reveal the affair to Rose who led to an altercation between the two where we see that Troy was getting violent with Rose until his son intervenes.  Throughout the movie, we see Rose's kindness shine through notably when she agrees to raise Troy's new baby following the passing of the mother during child birth - she refused to welcome Troy back into her life, however.  As the movie progressed, we saw that Troy continually lost everything that meant alot to him - many of his relationships including Rose, his son, his brother, his mistress and his daugther, as well as his ambitions in life.  Having turned to alcohol and losing things close to him, Troy simply want to have death to come for him - fast forward to a few years later, Troy has passed away while his son is in the military returns home & let Rose that he will not attend the funeral where she convinced him to attend along with other members of the family.

With that being said, this was certainly not a cut I wanted to make but it being Incendies forced me to cut another movie I love - the highlight of the movie was certainly the screenplay, the emotions in the actors' performance, and Viola Davis' performance for which she won the Oscar for Best Supporting. I will be leaving you all on one of my favourite scene from the movie:

SAVING: INCENDIES

• Like 1
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the Decade Rankdown (Dee's Noms Next)

NOMINATIONS

Animal Kingdom
Incendies
Inception
Blue Valentine
Silver Linings Playbook
Inside Out
Spotlight
Blade Runner 2049
Whiplash
BlacKkKlansman
Little Women