• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex95

• Deeee

• totes4totes

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/elliot-page-transgender-ellen-page-juno-umbrella-academy-1234843023/   Oscar-Nominated ‘Umbrella Academy’ Star Elliot Page Announces He Is Transgender

Coco Hopefully I picked a movie that is well liked but not absolutely loved. I guess we will see. If there is any way to make this a lesbian movie, please comment. I will make sure to add it

Posted Images

tenor.gif?itemid=11240438

X-Men: First Class

I was going to cut Inception but I ignored this too long because I like it but I shouldn’t really be making exceptions for a Bryan Singer movie. He didn’t direct this one which is why I’ve been letting it slide while helping promote cutting his other movies that he did direct but his production company still produced it. If you don’t know, ALLEGEDLY (meaning all but confirmed) Bryan Singer is the ringleader of a Hollywood ring of sexual abuse against boys and men. These aren’t new rumors and have dated back to 1997. This is how you know powerful people and not just Bryan Singer are involved. Because giants like Harvey Weinstein (okay maybe only Harvey Weinstein unfortunately) have been taken down. Anyway he’s garbage.

The movie however is really good. Not as good as Days of Future Past but it really felt like the X-Men prequel series after the massive misstep of X-Men Origins: Wolverine had hit their stride to become something better than the original trilogy. This is obviously bolstered by incredibly strong performances by Michael Fassbender (also trash!), James McAvoy, Rose Byrne, and in particular Jennifer Lawrence who is a standout. It tells of the first class (hence the name) of mutants that Professor Charles Xavier recruits and his subsequent falling out with Magneto. 

Anyway, a more than fair cut right now.

Saving: Annihilation

Edited by totes4totes

two-days-one-night-5487975073b03.png 

FxgT.gif N7X3.gif Pt6t.gif

It shouldn't be surprising that I absolutely love Two Days, One Night also known as Deux jours, une nuit in French, but this is a fair spot for the movie as many excellent movies were nominated this round. Back onto the movie: This drama film was written by the Dardenne Brothers where it stars Fabrizio Rongione and Marion Cotillard who is one of my favourite actress of all-time - it is probably my favourite role of hers since "La Vie en Rose" if I am being completely honest. 

In the movie, we find ourselves in a small town located in Belgium where we are introduced to Marion Cotillard's character known as Sandra as she returns to work following a leave due to her depression. However, her return does not go as plan when the management at work realizes they do not need Sandra anymore as the other employees are able to cover her workload - they offer a proposition to the employees where they alarmingly voted in favor of the change. We then find Sandra dealing with her mental health while feeling incredibly worthless and hopeless.  Sandra have to rely on her husband and her friend who also work at the factory - her friend argues on her behalf in front of the boss where we find out that the workers only voted against Sandra as they felt pressured to do so. After hearing this information, there's a secret ballot on Monday - this finds Sandra trying to convince her coworkers to vote for her and reject the monetary bonus offered to them. On the other hand, the foreman is also campaigning against Sandra - we find out he does not want her to come back due to her depression and not because other people can do her workload.   As she was campaigning, she saw the kindness of her employees as well as the difficulties some of them were living including domestic violence which has an impact on Sandra who attempts suicide upon her return home - she finds herself in the hospital and ready to continue working at the factory.  Upon her return to work on Monday morning, she stands up for herself against the foreman where she flat out tell him that he was not fair with her & how he threaten other employees to vote against her. Was she able to return to work? The vote was tied which meant the decision from earlier remains in place, but she has on the boss on her side who gives everyones the bonus while keeping her job. But her keeping her job was coming with a price which meant someone's will be let go in the coming month which she declines while looking forward to new adventures. 

The movie was met with praises at different film festival including Cannes where it competed for the Palme d'Or while winning at the Sydney Film Festival. It was also nominated for different awards including BAFTA, Cesar Awards, and Magritte Awards.  However, my favourite part of the movie was certainly Marion Cottilard's performance which was praised by many critics - she proved that she is one of the best in the business via her subtle acting, and she even found herself nominated at the Academy Awards which was my 2nd favourite performance in the category. As well, the movie is incredibly well-written especially in regards of the matter featured in the movie.

Anyway, the movie is one of my favourite from 2014 - I am truly pleased with its placement as I managed to have it in the Top 10 of the year so I cannot be too dissapointed about that feature. 

SAVING: SPOTLIGHT

Edited by *Chris

The Little Prince :( 

So happy with its placement without really having to fight for it, beside giving it the immunity at the start.  The book was one of my favourite growing-up and the movie truly did it justice ❤️ 

• Like 1

Obvious Child

Released in 2014, this is a film written and directed by Gillian Robespierre (this is also her directorial debut) about a stand-up comedian that decides to get an abortion after she get pregnant of a one-night stand post break-up. The film features performances by Jenny Slate, Jake Lacy, Gaby Hoffmann and David Cross. It also got significant praise for dealing with the topic of abortion in a realistic way and working to remove the stigma around it, while also making the movie funny. This sounds interesting/good so bookmarking it to watch during the weekend. But at this point I’m just trying to keep my faves alive.

Save: Blackkklansman

Edited by NGM

THE LOBSTER (2015)

giphy.gif

Definitely in my top 20 personal favorite movies of the decade...and it's not (just) because of the cast...or even the director. I keep having to write about movies I didn't love or have never seen and I know this won't make it to the end so it's finally time to talk about a movie I love lol. The Lobster is a 2015 dark comedy movie directed by Yorgos Lanthimos and starring underrated hottie Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, Lea Seydoux, Olivia Colman, Ben Whishaw, John C Reilly, and more. Really cool cast. It centers around a dystopian world where single people have only 45 days to be matched up with someone or else they'll be turned into...an animal. Narrated by Weisz, this movie is strange, outlandish, and really entertaining from start to finish. The first half mainly takes place in a hotel and is the stronger half imo. The second half focuses on the "loner" people who live in the woods and becomes a bit more of a drag than the first - that's my only criticism of the film. However the ending is quite epic and ties the whole movie together really nicely. I absolutely love this movie and my goal was just to get it to the top 100. It got there pretty easily so I'm happy to cut it and give it a good tribute now!

Save: Little Women (thx Nico)

• Like 1

A MOST VIOLENT YEAR

710sxOAhptL._SY445_.jpg

Released in 2014, A Most Violent Year is a crime drama film starring Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain as a married couple. Set in 1981, which was statistically one of the most violent years in New York City's history, Isaac plays Abel Morales, a fuel supplier stressed by the oil trade businesses. He is an immigrant trying to live the American dream, but the business is very competitive and his drivers have been repeatedly hijacked too. The films centers around Abel's moral compass as he tries to expand his business while violence and corruption threaten his business and his family. Critics enjoyed the movie, as it has a 89% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The site says "Gritty, gripping, and weighted with thought-provoking heft, A Most Violent Year represents another strong entry in writer-director J.C. Chandor's impressive filmography." Despite strong reviews and a Golden Globe nomination for Jessica Chastain, the film didn't perform well at the box office as it earned $12 million on a $20 million budget. Apologies to any fans, but out it goes from the rankdown.

And I'm saving Inception.

tenor.gif?itemid=4866942

Obvious Child is more than a fair cut at this point but it’s definitely a landmark movie about a woman getting an abortion that’s not a harrowing drama about indecision or danger or whatever. We need more movies like this. Or moments in movies like this.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Obvious Child is more than a fair cut at this point but it’s definitely a landmark movie about a woman getting an abortion that’s not a harrowing drama about indecision or danger or whatever. We need more movies like this. Or moments in movies like this.

Agreed, it’s a fantastic movie and made Jenny Slate one of my favorite actresses working today!

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

91 words @aliasocfan. Come on y'all it's not that hard! Watch a trailer or something.

Updated!

My job has a strict cell phone policy, so watching the trailer could have been awkward. Lol

27 minutes ago, .Rei said:

Anyways Midsommar is getting nominated in my round anyways so let's hope then it gets cut 

I'll take it. 

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the Decade Rankdown