Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

502c6f6daf031bd1aa14c9e46344d484.gif

Insidious

I was really mad last night and considered quitting because I am dramatic and also a brat. But then the Chicago Sky DESTROYED the LA Sparks last night (LA's coach is one of my least favorite DWTS contestants Derek Fisher) and put me in a good mood. Also my practice talk and all that junk went well with my boss today. So I decided to not be a brat. So I will now continue this all without a care in the world. Anyway, Insidious is a horror film that I'm surprised made it so far in this rankdown. I'm also shocked that this movie was made in 2010 as I thought it was a 2008 or 2009 movie. The movie is the first in the Insidious franchise though it takes place third chronologically. It's about a couple (Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne who have both been in much better movies) whose son falls comatose and his body becomes a vessel for ghosts from an astral dimension. I think we are lucky that in 2020 that horror movies have kind of evolved from this kind of moody scare demon movie or that it has been done much better (like The Conjuring series). But it's a perfectly fine horror movie where you are going to get what you expect when you go into it. And I'll choose to save a much better Horror Movie (that I'm surprised Elliott didn't save) in Halloween.

Saving: Halloween

The Town (2010)

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2011)

The Guard (2011)

Damsels in Distress (2011)

Like Crazy (2011)

Win Win (2011)

The Grey (2012)

All Is Lost (2013)

You’re Next (2013)

Blue Ruin (2014)

4th Man Out (2015)

American Honey (2016)

Swiss Army Man (2016)

Beatriz At Dinner (2017)

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (2017)

Ben Is Back (2018)

Ad Astra (2019)

Anna (2019)

source.gif

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

I almost nominated The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel during my set of noms but refrained so this is a pretty easy cut. This movie is like the quintessential "old white people go to an exotic place (in this case India) and be like old British people." As such it stars a lot of old British people like Dames Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, and Penelope Wilton. Unknighted, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, and Ronald Pickup are the three male counterparts. And Celia Imrie rounds out the group of retirees. Dev Patel stars as the manager of the hotel. It's like a kind of going through life type of movie. It's enjoyable enough and definitely carried by its strong cast of British staples but definitely a fine place to leave this rankdown. 

Saving: Professor Marston and the Wonder Woman

4th Man Out (2015 dir. by Andrew Nackman)

4th_Man_Out.jpg

I will upload GIFs when my laptop is done charging and I am not writing this from my phone while eating Oreos.

A comedy film, the plot follows Adam as he attempts to come out to his three best friends, Chris, Nick, and Ortu, on his 24th birthday. Adam struggles with coming out, afraid of how this will affect his friendships. After failed nights out while still closeted, Adam eventually comes out to his friends. The rest of the movie highlights the funny sh*t that happens as his friends come to terms with his coming out.

4th Man Out premiered at the Inside Out Film and Video Festival and received the audience awards for Best Dramatic Feature Film and Best Narrative Feature. The film only had a limited theatrical release in the United States.

Evan Todd plays the lead role of Adam. The film also features Parker Young, Chord Overstreet, Jon Gabrus, Jennifer Damiano, Jordan Lane Price, and Kate Flannery. 

Looking at the reviews, the film was nothing special. 43/100 on Metacritic and 58% on Rotten Tomatoes. This film has lasted this long because it’s gay. Elliott is gay. Elliott likes to see white gay men. Elliott is a white gay man. He will probably not like this cut. I will not care, but he knows I love him.

SAVING: You’re Next
Edited by Deeee

11 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Lol I watched it with a large group of people and the straight people thought it was a really progressive movie and the gays were like "yeah......no"

I mean it's a few years later with its message, but it reminded me a lot of the blue collar environments I grew up in and was a guilty pleasure for me. #shrug

proxy.php?image=https:%252F%252F66.media

also he's in it :wub:

Like Crazy

*L A T E R*

I had no idea this film existed, so that's probably why I never nominated it tbh. At least Andy did a good job of making non-controversial noms based on how slow we have all been in making our save/cut. Anyway, this film in particular was released in 2011, and tells the story of a exchange student that gets separated from her boyfriend when she gets denied re-entry into the US. The film was directed by Drake Doremus and starred by Felicity Jones, Anton Yelchin (RIP) and Jennifer Lawrence. The film had no traditional script or screenplay, instead Doremus and co-writer Ben York Jones made an outline with almost all of the dialogue being improvised. The movie is TINY, with 250k budget and 3.7 mn in box office. Cool that it lasted so long, but out it goes.

Save: Ad Astra

7 hours ago, Deeee said:
 I will upload GIFs when my laptop is done charging and I am not writing this from my phone while eating Oreos.

I just scrolled through this page and randomly saw this sentence. :lmao: Oreos are the best though. :wub:  

• Haha 2