Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

REVENGE

I am eliminating Revenge as I've never heard of it, despite Ford vs. Ferrari being a movie that I am not interested in - from the look of it, I would not be interested in Revenge either.  This movie was released in 2017, and is a French movie - I may have saved it knowing that but too bad now. The movie is classified as a French rape and revenge action horror film, and it follows Jennifer who is left in a dessert after being raped. She eventually recover and seek revenge on her attackers - you go, glen coco! The movie had a soft launch, and received lots of praise for the performances and screenplay. Unfortunately, it is out of the rankdown now - I may edit this later to make it pretty as I need much mental break following the news of today. Love you all ❤️ 

saving; the disney movie about ford and ferrari

Cycle 7 ~The Duel~

tumblr_mox5yuBDRz1rtl6ylo1_500.gif

This is something new I believe I haven't done yet in any of my rankdowns. Maybe one of y'all did it in one of yours I haven't followed idk 🙈. But this is a duel round! Slightly similar to a battle round, but you will be facing off against another ranker. When it's your turn to nominate, you will pm me two films you want to enter in the duel. The two films will face off against another ranker's two films. The other eight voters will pm me their vote for which two movies they'd like to see survive. The pairing with the most votes will survive. In the event of a tie, we will go to the randomizer. If your two films get eliminated, you will be responsible for their writeups. Who nominated which films will be a secret during voting, but obviously once writeups get posted, the secret's out. Will you take this opportunity to try to take a threat out, or do you want to target some fodder you think will last too long? The choice is yours. If two people in the same duel try to nominate the same movie, I'll ask whoever pm'd me second to renominate.

Here is the duel order:

7hsKB1S.png

So the first duel will be @Deeee vs. @aliasocfan. The next duel will be @1234567890 vs. @*Chris. The third duel will be @Steven_ vs. @#jeah. The fourth duel will be @NGM vs. @.Rei. Then the final duel will be @Elliott vs. @totes4totes.

You will all have 24 hours to nominate or vote or else we're moving on without you.

~The First Duel~

54a90d5a79e98d9ec36506a82238f7862025ac63.gifv tumblr_oljic905Yc1qektswo1_500.gifv

Leap Year                                                   The Peanuts Movie

vs.

tumblr_piaq0padDj1swms2fo4_540.gifv tumblr_opnccmeZNG1uhldd9o4_540.gifv

Fighting with my Family                                   Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

On 6/27/2020 at 12:38 PM, *Chris said:

ddabn8l-8509032c-2e66-465a-8f14-b6ad1bfad466.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNjg1NWY5OWEtNTI5ZS00NzRiLWJlNzMtYWFkMTE0MTJmMmExXC9kZGFibjhsLTg1MDkwMzJjLTJlNjYtNDY1YS04ZjE0LWI2YWQxYmZhZDQ2Ni5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.211HFPYbOuBvNuit7_ew2_yUYfl4TVdK3-E7rOAxYhM

tumblr_p9zr1aVot31ri6mv6o1_500.gifv

Released in 2018,  Bad Times at the El Royale is a neo-noir thriller which stars a well-known actors such as Jeff Bridges, Dakota Johnson, Jon Hamm, Chris Hemsworth, and Cynthia Erivo who is a queen & one away away from an EGOT. As I have never seen the movie, I am intrigued to find out more about it - it takes place in 1969 where it involves seven strangers that come together at a hotel on the California & Nevada border. It seems that the hotel used to be very popular & was thriving due to gambling, but all of this changed when they lost their gambling rights. Throughout the movie, it seems that their adventures at the hotel is all intertwined. 

Overall, the movie got some good reviews but it was not enough for them to make a profit as they missed it by .2 million. And I would be intrigued to watch it for Cynthia Erivo who seems to have an important role in the movie, compare to Widows where her role was quite minor if I am being honest. Anyway, just watched the trailer & it looks interesting so maybe I will eventually watch it. 

SAVING: IT - CHAPTER TWO

On 6/27/2020 at 2:16 PM, *Chris said:

340?cb=20110823152058

original.gif

The Kung-Fu Panda series is one that I never been a big fan of - I am not sure why but I was never able to get into it; I find it easier for me to get in Disney animate movies as an adult than Dreamworks, per say.  Now onto the movie, the movie is a  follow-up to the 2008 hit blockbuster, Kung Fu Panda.  And a lot of the voice-over actors of the first movie reprise their role in this one which includes Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Dustin Hoffman, Seth Rogen, Lucy Liu, David Cross, James Hong, and Jackie Chan. 

In this sequel, Po & the Furious Five finds themselves battling Lord Shen, a white peacock, while Po finds out more information about his past.  We find out that Lord Shen is the villain of the movie when we learn that he wants to conquer China. As a whole, the movie was darker than the previous one but it still managed to have some comedy relief in it. And to no one surprise, the movie was a hit at the box-office with families. 

SAVING: A STAR IS BORN

On 7/1/2020 at 1:55 PM, *Chris said:

secretariat-51afc69236cb4.png

ThirstyLiquidElver-size_restricted.gif

Released in 2010, Secretariat is a biographical sports drama film produced by Disney. The movie stars the like of Diane Lane & John Malkovich, and the movie essentially tell us the story of Secretariat, a Thoroughbred race horse, who was the winner of the Triple Crown in 1973, with the help of Ron Turcotte - Secretariat is known as the first Triple Crown Winner and one of the greatest horse of all time. In the movie, we are introduced to Penny Chenery who takes over her father's business despite not knowing a thing or two regarding horse-racing. She eventually navigates this male-dominated with the help of Lucien Laurin, a French-Canadian trainer. 

I've seen the movie and it was alright, however what I associate the most with this movie is the jockey known as Ron Turcotte as he is from my hometown - the local movie theater even had a mini movie premiere, and a statue of Ron Turcotte & Secretariat was unveiled, not long after the premiere of the movie. 

Overall, the movie was well liked, where they managed to make their budget. But unfortunately, it is now out of this rankdown. 

SAVING: HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2

Updated these 3! Will update Conviction & Revenge, at some point, today. 

Leap Year (2010 dir. by Anand Tucker)

tumblr_p0fvap0Awj1qisc9uo1_500.gifv

Amy Adams is truthfully one of the best actors ever. This movie is the worst of her filmography and the real blemish of her career, which is a pretty epic one. Based loosely on the classic films I Know Where I'm Going and It Happened One Night, this movie is a rom-com that follows a real estate worker that travels to Ireland to ask her boyfriend to marry her on Leap Day. Apparently, the Irish tradition, Bachelor's Day, states that men cannot refuse a woman's marriage proposal on Leap Day. Except a ton of different events sidetrack her plans. As well as an Irish innkeeper that she hires to take her to her current boyfriend in Dublin. Obviously he ends the film as her fiancée instead of her current boyfriend that just will not propose to her. 

The film was universally panned upon release. Critics called the movie boring, cliché, unfunny, formulaic, inauthentic, and charmless. The only aspect of the movie that received positive attention was the performance of Amy Adams, but most believe she was not enough to save this movie from disaster. Many Irish writers called the film extremely offensive by portraying Irish individuals as nothing more than negative Hollywood stereotypes. Matthew Goode, one of the lead actors of the film, fully acknowledged that Leap Year was one of the worst films of 2010. The film currently stands at 23% on Rotten Tomatoes and 33/100 on Metacritic.

The film stars Adam Scott, John Lithgow, and Kaitlin Olson, in addition to Adam and Goode. The film earned $32.6 million at the box office on a $19 million budget. This film should have been eliminated a very long time ago, but a dedicated player has done a good job at saving this film! Sorry to finally make this cut, but it's long overdue.

The Peanuts Movie (2015 dir. by Steve Martino)

31699587368eda6ea93995661a5cd5c5.gif

A very good, very authentic, and very sincere film! This is the fifth full-length Peanuts film and the first one to be released in 35 years. The film is based on a screenplay written by Craig + Bryan Schulz, the son and grandson of Charles M. Schulz, respectively. Cornelius Uliano also wrote the screenplay with the Schulz family. The film began development in 2006, six years after the death of Charles M. Schulz and the release of the final Peanuts comic strip. Craig pitched an idea to Bryan for the film, and Bryan successfully managed to gain full creative control during the pitch presentation. All of this is very good, considering the film was successful since it was created under the legacy of the initial artist. The film contains so much of what made the comic strips special.

The whole gang is in the movie! Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Woodstock, Linus, Schroeder, Lucy, Peppermint Patty, Sally, Violet, Pig-Pen, Franklin, Shermy, Marcie, and Patty. The Little Red-Haired Girl is a big part of the plot. Frieda, Miss Othmar, and The Little Red-Haired Girl's Mother are also part of the cast. Fifi makes a return as well and is voice by Kristin Chenoweth. Noah Schnapp voices Charlie Brown. Archival voice recordings were used to voice Snoopy and Woodstock with the voice of the original actor, Bill Melendez. 

The soundtrack of the film was scored by Christophe Beck. Beck took a lot of inspiration from the original composer of the 70's and 80's Peanuts specials, Vince Guaraldi. Meghan Trainor and Flo Rida wrote and performed original songs for the movie as well. Some of the only negative reviews of the film criticize Meghan Trainor's song, which makes me happy. LOL. 

Upon release, the movie was a box-office success and warmly received by critics and audiences. $242.6 million at the box office on a $99 million budget. Reviews called the film nostalgic and colorful, even if unambitious. Critics found the film to be authentic to the visions of Charles Schulz. The animation of the film was received very well, making a nice transition to 3D animation. Peanuts purists definitely took issue with the prominence of The Little Red-Haired Girl in the film, given she was always an unseen character in the comics, as well as Peppermint Patty admitting that Snoopy is a dog. Some critics also felt like the melancholy of the original specials was missing in the animation of this film. 

Peanuts garnered a lot of award nominations for Best Animated Film, including a Golden Globe Award nomination. 

A solid film that highlights just how charming the Peanuts gang still is today. But the film is nothing special or revolutionary, if we are being honest.

• Sad 1