Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Just now, Elliott said:

I've literally not seen a single movie on Steven's list I feel like this was a mistake :dead:

Anyone have any requests?

Save Can You Ever Forgive Me? to make up for all the gay movies you accidentally nominated your round :dead:

PHILOMENA (2013)

tumblr_o17dzpLm2P1ur787ho6_r2_250.gifv

Idk, maybe this is a great movie lol but I've never really had the desire to see it? It seems like a movie my mom would stan which isn't always a bad thing...but maybe not in this case here lmfao. Anyways this stars the iconic Dame Judi Dench as a woman who is searching for her forcibly adopted son for 50 years. It also stars Steve Coogan and it actually looks kinda cute! It's got a 90% score on RT and grossed a super impressive $100M at the box office against a meager $12M budget. Judi obviously did an amazing job in this movie I'm sure and received awards recognition, including a Best Actress nom at the Academy Awards, bringing her up to an incredible 7 Academy Award nominations. Good for her! 

Saving: Inherent Vice ❤️ 

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018 dir. by The Coen Brothers)

tumblr_pii3zrjl5d1qbhgiho3_r1_500.gifv

I love The Coen Brothers. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs simply did not do it for me. Maybe because of the Western setting? Besides Westworld, I am so sick of directors/filmmakers/etc. continuing to use the Western era in the United States history as a backdrop for films, television, etc. MOVE ON ALREADY. This is an anthology film told in six parts:

1. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

2. Near Algodones

3. Meal Ticket

4. All Gold Canyon

5. The Gal Who Got Rattled

6. The Mortal Remains

Interestingly enough, critics are very divided in their rankings of the vignettes. I would probably give Meal Ticket or Buster Scruggs the edge, but I do not care for the film at all. So moot point I guess. Of course, there is music and singing involved heavily in each of the six parts. The Coen Brothers obviously love having actors sing in their films.

The film stars Tim Blake Nelson as Buster Scruggs, and also features Willie Watson, David Krumholtz, E.E. Bell, Tom Proctor, Alejandro Patino, Clancy Brown, Danny McCarthy, James Franco, Stephen Root, Ralph Ineson, Jesse Luken, Liam Neeson, Harry Melling, Paul Rae, Tom Waits, Zoe Kazan, Bill Heck, Grainger Hines, Jefferson Mays, Rob Rondeaux, Tyne Daly, Brendan Gleeson, Jonjo O'Neil, Saul Rubinek, and Chelcie Ross.

A pretty large cast, which is not unusual for a Coen film.

The film was funded and distributed by Netflix, which was a tough decision for the Coen brothers to make. This means that we have no box office numbers to report. The film did receive positive reviews though, currently holding a 91% on RT and 78 on Metacritic. It even managed to snag three Academy Award nominations for Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Costume Design, and Best Original Song for "When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings."

Anyways. If you are craving a heavy drama + black comedy film, watch this movie. Since the Coen Brothers specialize in that combination. But I found this movie very boring. So there's that.

SAVING: The Descendants

I’m going to bed but surprisingly not as bad as it could have been. 

39 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Save: Star Trek Beyond

Cut: Florida Project

:(

That was the only movie I’d save so quickly so I guess I’ll wait until morning to do my cut!

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing MO

As always so many people love to post when I’m about to go to bed so I’ll fix this in the morning! Literally everybody I know who has seen this movie, including myself does not like it! Despite that it has a 90% on RottenTomatoes showing RottenTomatoes cannot be trusted! Anyway the film is based on Billboards that director Martin McDonagh saw while driving through Southern US calling for justice for a woman murdered in Vidor, Texas in 1998. Taking nearly two decades for the movie to come to fruition everything has mostly been fictionalized. The movie stars Frances McDormand as a mother who is grieving the rape and murder of her teenage daughter and frustrated with the lack of progress made on solving the case she rents three billboards calling out the local police chief for justice. The movie loves to have white people use the N-word, is not great with dealing with racism, and spends a good chunk of time on a redemption arc for a shitty racist and violent cop played by Sam Rockwell. I think this could have been an interesting movie if it had focused more on the incompetence of the police force rather than spending half the movie saying “even the bad cops are good.”

Saving The Florida Project

55 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I've literally not seen a single movie on Steven's list I feel like this was a mistake :dead:

12 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

surprisingly not as bad as it could have been. 

6 minutes ago, .Rei said:

@Steven_ did great with his noms :wub:

57 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

understandable noms

giphy.gif

PLEASE GET SAVED:

The Sessions

Foxcatcher

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

20th Century Women

A Better Life

Mr. Turner