Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Wonder

tumblr_p3onjgjmlQ1vj5ofuo3_500.gifv

I think I may have nominated this movie during one of my rounds so it makes it an easy cut here even though I saved I Saw A Devil previously. :giggle:Wonder was released in 2017 and is categorized as an American comedy drama film. The movie is directed by Stephen Chbosky and written by Jack Thorne, Steven Conrad and Stephen Chbosky. It's based on the 2012 novel by R. J. Palacio. The film stars Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson, Jacob Tremblay, Noah Jupe, Izabela Vidovic, Mandy Patinkin, and Daveed Diggs. The movie follows a with Treacher Collins syndrome named Auggie trying to fit in. It received positive reviews from audiences and critics alike. The movie grossed $305 million dollars worldwide on a $20 million budget. The movie was nominated for Best Makeup and Hairstyling at the 90th Academy Awards. The film was distributed by Lionsgate and has a 85% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It was announced in 2019 that a musical adaptation of the film is in the works for Broadway. That's great news. I've seen the film and it's cute but a fair cut imo.

Save: Crawl

MUDBOUND (2017)

tumblr_p1reocD2R01rmxa4zo6_r1_500.gifv

Oh nooooo I'm cutting a film with bae Garrett Hedlund in it 😭 I do remember the hype around the film when it came out a few years ago, and I was happy to see that Mary J Blige secured a Best Supporting Actress nomination, as who doesn't love that woman? Besides that, idk I remember one of my friends watching it and saying it was boring or something like that, but the storyline does seem relatively intriguing to me - it's about two WWII veterans who return to the same area in rural Mississippi and their different and shared experiences when they arrive home. It seems like a timely movie today and may be worth a watch. It received a 97% on RT, a great score, with much of the praise going to the strong cast of the film. This was a Netflix release so there wasn't really much of a box office performance. One fun fact is that cinematographer Rachel Morrison became the first ever woman to be nominated for Best Cinematography at the Academy Awards...a shockingly long time before a woman was nominated but unfortunately that doesn't surprise me. 

Saving: Disobedience

giphy.gif

Alita: Battle Angel

Elliott nominating so many lesbian movies. A PERSONAL ATTACK AGAINST ME! I can only save one and so I hope somebody saves Atomic Blonde! Please don't cut it! Anyway, I'm cutting Alita because of this group it was easiest for me to do the write-up. Alita: Battle Angel is an interesting movie that came about. It's not great but it's interesting and for that reason I kind of wish that it was better than it was. Alita was directed by Robert Rodriguez who is an interesting director and who has done stuff ranging from really good like Sin City and Spy Kids to really bad like Shorts. It was produced by James Cameron who is an overrated HACK. It's a cyberpunk action film focusing on Alita, a revived cyborg who has amnesia and she sets out to figure out her destiny. The effects are cool and Rose Salazar who plays Alita is good, but the rest of the film is kind of a mess. It made $404 million off a $170 million dollar budget but I'm sure they were hoping for more.

Saving: Professor Marston and the Wonder Woman

22 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I don't know what thread to put this in, but this seems like an appropriate one.

Ana de Armas vs a Twitter fanpage is my favourite celebrity feud of this year :wub:

Ana de Armas "dating" Ben Affleck is a personal attack against me. Also I also love that celebrity feud. :haha:

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

I don't know what thread to put this in, but this seems like an appropriate one.

Ana de Armas vs a Twitter fanpage is my favourite celebrity feud of this year :wub:

The Knives Out Twitter account blocked the fanpage as well. :dead:

The Square

The_Square_(2017_film)_poster.png

thesquare.gif?format=1500w

This is a movie that I have never heard of even though I very much love Elisabeth Moss and really like Dominic West. The Square is a 2017 satirical film whose plot seems to be kinda complicated. The wikipedia description says the following: The film is about a curator (Bang) who struggles with various personal issues, including the theft of his mobile phone and affair with a journalist (Moss). Amid these distractions, a controversial promotional video for an art installation is published without his oversight, threatening his career and sparking a debate about freedom of expression and political correctness. This doesn't interest me to be honest. The critics disagree with me thought as the films was well received and it won the Palme D'Or in Cannes and was nominated for Best Foreing Languange in the Oscars. The cast of the film also included Claes Bang and Terry Notary. The movie only made $8.6 M against a budget of $5M so at least it made its money back. Who knows if this is really good or not? Regardless of that, it is now leaving this rankdown.

Saving Sauvage (I never thought Elliott would be this homophobic and nominate all these gay films)

Felix+Maritaud+gay+4.gif

tumblr_otdhx9JhUK1rrkahjo1_500.gifv

Darkest Hour

Megan almost cut this movie, so following her suggestion I'll cut it now instead to save her other suggestion of Atomic Blonde. Darkest Hours stars Gary Oldman as former UK Prime Minister Winston Churchill in the early days of his role as Prime Minister largely portraying the events of the May 1940 War Cabinet Crisis. For those who don't know, this was the time when the UK had to make a crucial decision: cooperate with Nazi Germany or continue hostilities. There were those in the War Cabinet who believed that they should make a peace treaty with Adolf Hitler and then there was Winston Churchill who vehemently opposed. Anyway, it's a bit liberal with all the facts as most biopics and historical dramas are (that's why they are not documentaries) and largely poses Churchill as a man who was popular with the people (he was not) and unpopular with the parliament (he was). And the movie downplays the key role that the Labour Party, particularly Clement Attlee (who isn't even mentioned in the Wikipedia summary!),  had in resisting a peace treaty with the Nazis (because Churchill is of the conservative party and therefore Labour gets downplayed because Churchill became somewhat of a hero). Anyway, the movie is carried by Gary Oldman's performance which tends to be the case with most biopics who live and die by the performance of their lead. And it's a fine piece of pro-Churchill propaganda. But cutting it now in favor for the more interesting (and GAYER) movies on Elliott's list of noms seems appropriate.

Also let’s all mock the fact that the only good write up to my name isn’t even mine. I have reached the bottom of the barrel!

Saving Atomic Blonde

• Like 1
  • Haha 3