Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

the-lighthouse-5e07e79b5c246.png

unnamed.gif?fit=600,400&ssl=1&resize=350

(Live footage of me when I accidentally deleted the write-up & having to restart)

A 2019 psychological thriller, "The Lighthouse" is a work of Robert Eggers whom act as the director, producer, and co-writer with his brother Max. The movie was somewhat inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's work known as "The Light-House" - they eventually evolved the story to make it into a period thriller, instead. In the movie, we are introduced to 2 characters portrayed by Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, both of whom are lighthouse keepers. The movie follows the life of these two lighthouse keepers following them being stranded on a remote island following the aftermath of a storm.   

As a whole, the movie was met with praise for its cinematography as the movie was shot in black & white as well in a square ratio of 1.19:1, which is impressive. Critics also praised the work of the screenplay, direction, and the performances - very impressive of Robert Pattinson to being able to escape the world of Twilight & succeed as an actor.  With all that being said, the coolest thing about the movie was it being filmed in Nova Scotia which is my neighboring province - this makes me wanna watch the movie, to be honest. 

Huge congratulations to its fan for being able to carry it all the way to the almost-Top 30!

SAVING: DISOBEDIENCE

Short Term 12

So I basically have 3 movies I love and 1 I really like. Awkward, but to be expected this late into the rankdown. Released in 2013 and directed (and written) by Destin Daniel Cretton (the movie is in fact adapted from a short film by Cretton), the film focus on a group for troubled teenagers, where Grace (played by Brie Larson on her first lead performance) acts as a supervisor. It received critical acclaim, with a lot of praise towards it's depiction of youth at risk and towards Brie's performance. Tough cut but it's the movie I connect with the least unfortunately. Still totally deserving of making it this far.

Save: The Master 

tumblr_mz12hbz6ia1s89mq8o1_500.gif

Short Term 12 

Megan's Honorary Write-Up!

This is the cast of Short Term 12:

Brie Larson - Future Academy Award Winner though she should have won for this movie which may be my favorite female performance of the decade, Top 5 for sure

John Gallagher, Jr. - Tony Winner

Rami Malek - Academy Award and Emmy Winner

LaKeith Stanfield - Who honestly deserves more award recognition for consistently being the best part of many of the things he's been in

Kaitlyn Dever - An actress who really has broken through the last couple years with Booksmart and Unbelievable

In 2013 it's feasible that John Gallagher, Jr. was like the headliner of this cast in terms of fame. I mean up until this point Brie Larson's claims to fame were United States of Tara, 21 Jump Street, and Scott Pilgrim (and maybe a burgeoning music career. IMAGINE THE TIMELINE!!!!!!). Director Destin Cretton is about to join the Marvel Universe with Shang-Chi. Like this is a movie that could not be made in the same way today. 

Since Nico already did the nuts and bolts of what the movie is about, I will just do more of why I wanted to do this write-up. Short Term 12 isn't one of those movies I've watched over and over, in fact I think I missed it when it first went into theaters. It wasn't until reading a film critic's blog that it even registered on my radar. So I went out to my favorite chain store Target and bought it with the aforementioned A Spectacular Now (little did I know it was going to be Brie Larson night in my apartment!) and watched them back-to-back. I wasn't a Brie Larson superfan then like I am now (though I was obsessed with Envy Adams and Scott Pilgrim so it was all ready to come out) but Short Term 12 certainly made me a STAN. There are clearly a lot of us here in IDF because I don't think this movie would have made it so far any other way because of all the movies left this is certainly one of the ones that flew most under the radar in terms of like public releases and such.

Short Term 12 isn't a grandiose movie like a lot of the rest of the movies on this list are. And one of the true indie films to really make it far in the game. (Winter's Bone is really like the other one). Produced with a budget of under $1 million which you would at least pay to the cast alone if it were made today with the exact same people (and considering Kaitlyn Dever is still playing teenagers your only recast may have to be LaKeith Stanfield). It's under 100 minutes long making it one of the shorter movies left in this rankdown if not the shortest. And all of that shows and it works for this film. This film that is about understanding, confronting, and accepting your demons and trauma and not necessarily how to move on but to be able to find peace with that and be able to open up to those around you.

The movie is anchored by Brie Larson's performance, but everybody surrounding her is just as good and used in just the right way. Whether it's Kaitlyn Dever or LaKeith Stanfield (and both are really really good) as residents of the home or Rami Malek being used as essentially a POV character introducing us to how the home works and who the people are within without being overbearing or taking up too much space and energy. Everybody is just so perfect at so accurately portraying the humanity of their characters. It would be easy to see these characters as stereotypes that already exist in other movies, especially Dever and Stanfield. 

Anyway, there were some movies I debated about cutting myself specifically because I wanted to be the one to do the write-up. But you know I love an honorary write-up. Did a lot of them in the video game rankdown that all got EATEN when IDF decided to blow up unfortunately. So who knows, maybe this one will be lost when IDF decides to become structurally unsound again. IDK. 2020 was wild. 2021 can bring literally anything to the table. 

• Like 1