Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

MARGARET

I have not seen this film. That's a running theme apparently, so oops. Had I see Alex's post before posting my cut & save, I would've cut something else. Anyway, Margaret is a 2011 film that stars Anna Paquin, J. Smith-Cameron, Jean Reno, Allison Janney, Matthew Broderick, Matt Damon, Jeannie Berlin, Kieran Culkin and - most importantly - Mark Ruffalo. Apparently it had a limited release as the result of it going over budget due to the frequent editing it had to undergo that still made it 165 minutes. (I complain about long run times often for someone who frequently sits through two-hour gorefests directed by Rob Zombie, don't @ me). The director's preferred cut is 186 minutes (what is he, James Cameron?????) and I tend to prefer the director's preferred cuts of movies, so that would probably be the version I prefer.

For those wondering, Margaret is about a young woman named Margaret (obviously) that witnesses a bus accident. She's then caught up in the aftermath, where the question of whether or not it was intentional affects many people's lives. Okay but seriously, how the f*ck does something that simple cause a movie to run so long??????????

SAVE: Let Me In, per Dee's request

Edited by Elliott

Margaret's more of a coming of age story with loss of innocence imo, that's how the run time is so long. I love the director's cut personally. Anna Paquin and J. Smith Cameron are also unbelievable in the movie. The Matt Damon storyline was #messy though to put it mildly.

• Like 1

Don't Think Twice

Don't_Think_Twice_(film).png

387175b4-cc63-4457-b997-9c2f4b37dbd6.gif

Don't think twice is a movie that I've never watched but totally look like something I would enjoy given the cast. It has many actors that I like/love/enjoy like Keegan-Michael Key, Gillian Jacobs and Kate Micucci. My sole reason for cutting this instead of Safety not Guaranteed is that I have watched the latest and I did really like it. Don't Think Twice is a 2016 comedy drama film directed by Mike Birbiglia who also stars in the movie. The film deals with an improv group that is dealing with several crises, including the loss of their lease and one member hitting the big time by being cast in Saturday Night Live while the rest do not. Other cast members of the movie include Tami Sagher, Chris Gethrard, Seth Barrish and Erin Darke. The movie received really great reviews and currently holds a Tomatoscore of 98% and a Metascore of 83/100, more reasons for me to watch this someday. 

The trailer also looks good and I'll definitely check it out sometimes. Sorry for any fan out there but this was left for last so I doubt there's anyone here who is a fan.

Saving Safety not Guaranteed

GrayNarrowGrasshopper-size_restricted.gi

Edited by .Rei

200.gif

1. Brave
  2. Crawl
  3. Downton Abbey
  4. Dumplin’
  5. Frozen 2
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy II
  7. Happy Death Day
  8. Instant Family
  9. Les Miserables
  10. Mamma Mia! Here we go again
  11. Monsters University
  12. Roman J. Israel, Esq.
  13. Set it up
  14. The Disaster Artist
  15. The Great Gastby
  16. The Muppets
  17. The Ritual
  18. To all the Boys I Loved before

source.gif

The Disaster Artist

Cutting James Franco.

Anyway, this movie is based on the book written by The Room star Greg Sestero. This is a movie practically made for me. As somebody who loves The Room. Because it's a true masterclass in awful movie making. For those of you who don't know, The Room is a cult classic produced, directed, written by, and starring Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero is the male co-star of the movie. If you've not seen it then you probably won't get The Disaster Artist. Anyway, the book and this movie are based on the making of The Room.

It really has an All-Star cast with some of my faves like Alison Brie, Megan Mullaly, Sharon Stone, Zac Efron, Hannibal Buress, and Melanie Griffith. Truly, if it were not headed by James Franco I would have probably saved this movie instead of cutting it.

Saving: MAMMA MIA HERE WE GO AGAIN

DO NOT AT ME REGARDING THIS EXTREMELY GOOD DECISION.

• Like 1

Downton Abbey (2019 dir. by Michael Engler)

giphy.gif

Admittedly, I have never watched the show. Therefore, I have not seen the film. So this write-up might not due the film or the series justice, so sorry to any fans of either. However, I can strongly state that the show simply never interested me. So when I heard of the film adaptation, I was actually super apprehensive. Most television series that receive a film adaptation are pretty good, but the same cannot be said of the film adaptation itself.

Luckily, this film seems to have escaped that curse a bit. The film was received fairly well, but there are a lot of mixed reviews. From what I have heard, the film is really predictable and there are essentially no high-stakes problems, with the main plot-line being that the King and Queen are coming to dinner at the Crawley estate, so the Royal staff must make sure that Downton is in perfect shape. That sounds incredible boring. I guess there are some side plots that involve an assassin who tries to kill the monarch, as well as feuds between the Royal servants + family against the royal entourage. The overabundance of subplots is criticized for trying to fluff out a film that really does not explore any new avenues, but rather has most of the well-known characters act in ways that we absolutely expect them to act. 

Most of the positive reviews focus on the star-studded cast delivering good performances. A lot of the positive reviews also seem to just be from people who love the series and as a result loved the film for basically doing nothing to stray from the television storylines. The movie was a major box office success, which is good. Clearly, this film is better than one would expect, but is also just a lukewarm movie that was probably made to rake in cash since the series is so hugely popular. 

SAVING: Happy Death Day

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Save The Great Gatsby

Cut Instant Family

I nearly feel asleep at the movies while watching The Great Gatsby. This is one of the few movies that I really wanted gone this round 😔

INSTANT FAMILY
image.jpeg.4eb985a39291749093a102144d9eef16.jpeg

Instant Family stars Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne as a married couple who consider adoption, but first go through the fostering system. Bryne’s Ellie doesn’t want to take in a teen, but she changes her mind after meeting 15-year-old Lizzy. Lizzy has two younger siblings too, and the couple brings them into their home. As a result, their lives are turned upside down. It’s not all comedy though. There are some serious and heartwarming moments in this family film. I haven’t seen this film, but everything in the plot description is predictable. I bet you can guess the ~journey the family goes through and how the film ends without me telling you. Nonetheless, the film has an 81% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. According to the site, “Instant Family may not quite capture the complexity of real-life adoption, but fittingly for the unconditional bond it honors, this flawed yet well-intentioned dramedy is ultimately worth the investment." It seems like this film is better than I thought it was, but it’s not a film I’m in a rush to see either. Sorry to any fans, but out it goes from the rankdown.

And I’m saving The Great Gatsby.

CarefreeFlamboyantJackal-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Steven_