Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Ernest & Celestine

tumblr_mzbp6nORDY1qgko10o1_r2_500.gif

Ernest & Celestine is a beautifully animated French-Belgian film released in 2012. The movies are based on a series of children's books by Belgian author and illustrator Gabrielle Vincent. It tells the story of a mouse named Celestine who lives underground (with the other mice) and during her training to work in dentistry she is chased by a bear and stuck in a trash can overnight. In the morning a starving bear named Ernest tries to eat her and the two strike up an unlikely friendship. They rob a candy store so that Ernest can eat until he's no longer starving and then are forced to run away and hide out. Unfortunately because this is a fictional movie about a society comprised of only bear and mice the fictional police have nothing better to do than look for the candy stealing criminals (also I guess they would get charged for breaking and entering as well BUT DETAILS). And they are sent to court eventually where judges are mad that they won't sell each other out (CLASSIC PRISONER DILEMMA). Anyway, the story ends with Ernest and Celestine teaching the high class that they are sh*tty and need to treat lower class citizens better. The film was nominated for many awards but unfortunately came out in the same year as Frozen and The Wind Rises and thus it actually won very few. But it was a stacked year for animated films. It's truly a delightful film though. The film was released in the United States in 2013 by GKIDS. The film was distributed by StudioCanal in France and Cinéart in Belgium. The movie is in French but there is an English Dub that was released that features the voice talents of Forest Whitaker, Mackenzie Foy, Lauren Bacall, Paul Giamatti, William H. Macy, Megan Mullally, Nick Offerman and Jeffrey Wright. The film received widespread critical acclaim and has a 97% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Ernest & Celestine became the first animated film to win the Magritte Award for Best Film. I will definitely give this movie a viewing when permissible but I can't pass up a free write-up so this movie must take its bow. :haha:

Saving: Another Earth

• Like 1

CHICO & RITA

08f3345e3255591586e442b44cb5176a49858dbf

Most associate animated movies with movies that are inherently family friendly or made for children. Though I've never seen the film, I just know in my heart that Chico & Rita is very much not that.

Made in 2010, Chico & Rita is a Spanish movie following the lives of the titular characters Chico and Rita. The story is of a young pianist piano player Chico who falls in love with a beautiful singer named Rita in Havana, Cuba. They form both a professional and romantic relationship that leads to both love and heartbreak. The movie was highly regarded when it came out, culminating in the United States in an Academy Award nomination (it lost to Rango which is probably one of the Academy's worst decisions in regards to animated film of the last decade). The movie was largely praised for its visuals and music being able to aptly portray both Cuban Jazz and the locales the movie takes place in ranging from Havana to New York to Paris and the love story and humanity of its characters.

I just know in my heart that it's worth watching, but unfortunately it gets eliminated in what I also just know in my heart is a stacked group of nominees.

Saving: Beasts of the Southern Wild

Edited by Elliott
  • Haha 1

CERTIFIED COPY

51Qap6AsLuL._AC_.jpg

Certified Copy is an art film released in 2010. It tells the story between a writer and an antiques dealer. The writer is a British man named James Miller, but the French antiques dealer is never named throughout the film. The cast credits simply refer to her as "She." Anyway, Miller has just released a book arguing authenticity. He claims every reproduction is still an original. As well, every original is still a reproduction of something else. The book he released is called Certified Copy, with the subtitle Forget the original, just get a good copy. She (played by Juliette Binoche) attends his lecture to get some autographs, but she must leave early due to her eleven-year-old son getting hungry and becoming a distraction. She leaves her phone number with Miller's translator, and Miller and Binoche's character eventually meet up. They agree to go for a drive, and Miller signs six copies of his book for her. As the day progresses, their relationship transforms too. After a man calls them husband and wife, the two of them start behaving like a husband and wife. At first they only speak in English, but then they both speak English and French. As well, they refer to her son as "our son." She also expresses disappointment over their wedding anniversary the previous night. This seems confusing after skimming through the plot summary on Wikipedia. Were they married the whole time, or is this sudden progression of their relationship just an abstract way to tell a story? Anyway, according to Rotten Tomatoes, "The main stars are absolutely perfect in this absorbing, existential drama that dissects human relationships." The site also gives it an 89% approval rating. In addition, Certified Copy premiered at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival, and Juliette Binoche won the Best Actress Award for her performance too. Anyway, I don't think this is a film I would watch myself, but I suppose it seems kind of interesting. Sorry to any fans, but out goes Certified Copy from the rankdown.

And I'll save Four Lions.

5n4Q.gif

Edited by Steven_

Bernie

Bernie_film_poster.jpg

9yYM.gif

Bernie is a 2011 black comedy movie directed by Richard Linklater. The movie was based on a 1998 Texas Monthly magazine article that chronicles the murder of a 80-year-old millionaires after a popular mortician strikes up a friendship with her. When the woman becomes controlling and abusive, the mortician named Bernie goes to great lengths to remove himself for her grasp. The cast of the film included the likes of Jack Black, Matthew McConaughey, Shirley Maclaine, Brady Coleman and Rick Dial among others. The movie made a total of $10M against a budget of $6M. The movie received great reviews with many critics praising Matthew McConaughey and Jack Black performances, and many citing Jack Black's a his best performance to date. The film holds a Tomatoscore of 88% and a Metascore of 75 which make it a great film. I would probably enjoy this cause I love Richard Linklater's movie but there are so many great amazing films in this set so I gotta cut one of the ones I haven't watched yet.

Saving A Separation

tumblr_mqzwsnwO3G1r0g6k9o5_r1_250.gif

Holy Motors

Never saw this movie so yay, terrible write up ahead (plus I only wanted to save Amour or Shame....). It's described as a fantasy drama (?) directed by Leos Carax. The basic premise of the film sounds really weird, with a man that's supposedly an actor having multiple gigs and roles a day, but with no cameras filming what is going on. After watching trailers and keep reading the plot of the film, I can't confirm nor deny that the people making this were on acid. I feel like I can't convey what this movie is about without watching lol Anyway, sorry to the fans of this film, and if you want to add something else, please go ahead, bc there is no way anyone got anything out of this write up.

Save: Amour (and the late Emmanuelle Riva who deserved an Oscar more than Jennifer and Jessica for this performance)

ARBITRAGE (2012)

Arbitrage is a 2012 movie that actually looks interesting. It stars Richard Gere as a super successful hedge-fund magnate. Wow he must be a great human being - not. The movie revolves around him worrying that he will get caught for all of the fraud he had committed. When a critical error is made, everything gets even more scary as a detective begins to investigate. This actually sounds like it could be either super entertaining or super boring. It made an impressive $35.5m against its $12m budget. Much of the praise for the movie went to Richard Gere’s outstanding performance. He was nominated for a Golden Globe for his work.

saving: Shame