Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

You can't control how a whole round goes :dead: (or can you :shiftywave:)

Also anyone campaigning for Another Year and Silence to leave shouldn't be taken seriously

I can try :dead:

Silence did nothing for me 👀

download.php?type=download&image=165514&section=3

tenor.gif?itemid=17274671

Out of the nominated movies, this is the movie that I am somewhat least familiar with hence why I am cutting it - I don't even recall hearing from it, even though Viggo was nominated for Best Actor at the Oscars. So let's get to it - Captain Fantastic is a comedy-drama film that was released in 2016, and it stars  Viggo Mortensen, Frank Langella, Kathryn Hahn, and Steve Zahn.

The premise of the movie is that the family, The Clash, who are reintegrating into society after a decade of living of isolation. Why were they in isolation? As the parents are former left-wing anarchist, they decided to educate their children with their preferred political philosophy which included educating them to think critically, training them to be self-reliant, physically fit and athletic, guiding them without technology, demonstrating the beauty of coexisting with nature and celebrating Noam Chromsky's birthday. However, all of this changed when Leslie is hospitalized & passes away - the family, notably Ben, need to deal with Leslie's father who wanted a traditional funeral but Ben wanted to honor Leslie's wishes. Ben is not allowed to attend the funeral, and then he makes sure his kids doesn't get to attend but he changes his mind & goes on a round trip. It seems that the roadtrip was filled with self-discovery, and they end up showing up to the funeral as a family.

Most of the reviews were generally positive for the movie. And the movie does looks interesting - I will certainly try to check-it out!

SAVING: RABBIT HOLE

Star Trek Beyond

Star_Trek_Beyond_poster.jpg

apz7jsh90ejqczkhugm8.gif

I think I cut another of the Star Trek films but I'm not really sure though, what I'm sure is the Star Trek movies keep getting nominated so it's fitting that I just stop their suffering. Fun fact is that I've never watched any Star Trek movies or tv shows new ones and old ones, I guess in my country Star Trek was never that famou unlike Star Wars was, and while I recognize the franchise it has never meant anything to me. Now onto the actual movie. Star Trek Beyond is a 2016 science fiction action film directed by Justin Lin. The movie is based on the original television series, is the 13th film from the franchise and the third installment in the reboot series. In this installment the USS Entreprise crew explores the furthest reaches of uncharted space, where they encounter a mysterious new enemy who puts them to test. I don't really understand this plot but what I can say is that Chris Pine can test me all day in any day 😘 Besides hottie Chris Pine the cast also included the likes of Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Zaldana, Simon Pegg and Idris Elba. The movie had a budget of $185M and made $343M in the box office, that is good but they probably were expecting more. Reviews were great from the critics and audience and it has a Tomatoscore 86% and a Metascore of 68, so the film is actually good. I probably won't watch this cause I would have to watch the two prequels and that's just too much work right now.

Saving Can I ever forgive you that a movie which kinda disappointed me but is the only one I have watched from the remaining nominees

source.gif

Edited by .Rei

Another Year

220px-Another_year_poster.jpg

Seriously. You guys are killing me. This movie made 18.1 million. I am going to have no good choices for nominations. 😭

Sadly for this movie in the rankdown, it was nominated for Best Original Screenplay. Fortunately for it in every other circumstance though! 

This movie came out in 2010. It is a comedy and a drama too I guess. It stars a bunch of people I have heard of, but I am not that familiar with their work. This includes Lesley Manville, Jim Broadbent and Ruth Sheen. 

Having just read the summary, this movie sounds boring. Maybe there are great performances that can make up for it. (and because it's a British movie I can enjoy some amazing accents) Perhaps it is more character driven than it seems. But yeah, I am not convinced from the summary I read. 

Saving Foxcatcher 

THE SESSIONS

According to Wikipedia, this film is from 2012 and is classified as an erotic comedy-drama. Well then. An independent film that was put out by Fox Searchlight Pictures (because of course it was), it stars John Hawkes and Helen Hurt. The plot centres around Mark O'Brien, a poet who is paralyzed from the neck down due to polio, and hires a sex surrogate to lose his virginity. The film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2012, and received praise from critics - particularly in regards to the performances from the two leads. Helen Hunt was later nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the 85th Academy Awards, so there's that. I haven't seen it, but it sounds kind of interesting.

SAVE: A Better Life

I'm going to bed early. As Victoria has a family emergency and Nico told me he had a busy day I'll see where we're at with the morning if they have saved 20th Century Women and Silence made their decisions instead of sticking with the deadline in 45 mins. We'll move on in the morning though!

• Haha 1

At Eternity's Gate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T77PDm3e1iE

I'm about ready to pass out so, as always, brief write up. At Eternity's Gate was released in 2018, retells (with a dose of fiction) the last years of famous Dutch painter Vincent Van Gogh. tl;dr they take the accident murder over suicide theory that some Van Gogh biographers have tried to sell. To them I say:

tenor.gif?itemid=11207448

The movie stars William Dafoe , Rupert Friend, Oscar Isaac, Mads Mikkelsen, Mathieu Amalric, Emmanuelle Seigner and Niels Arestrup. It's pretty visually (love me some France), and Dafoe plays a really good Van Gogh, but can't say I would take the time to watch it again. Anyway, good run on the rankdown, sorry if anyone wanted it to stay.

Save: Silence