Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

1-team.gif

Carol

It's finally approaching the most wonderful time of the year: Carol season. Carol is hands down the greatest holiday film ever made. And after Thanksgiving it becomes appropriate for me to watch Carol as I look outside and see the snow fall and wish for my own Cate Blanchett to invite me to a clandestine glove lunch to start my own torrid lesbian affair with an older married woman.

Carol is another one of those movies that I wish I had cut so that I could do the write-up because I knew everybody else's would be so woefully inadequate. Even if only I, Dee, and Alex read all the write-ups in this rankdown. And that's not necessarily a knock on anybody. But it feels like reviews about Carol and write-ups about Carol should all be written by queer women (there was once a review written by a man that was like "I don't understand Carol because IDK how you are a woman and not in love with Kyle Chandler" and everybody was like "Sir, please kindly GTFO"). And IDF is WOEFULLY low on those. (As evidenced by the fact that I have not found my internet girlfriend who equally loves DWTS pro Jenna Johnson that would lead me to my international marriage allowing me to escape the virus-filled hellscape that is the United States in 2020. And yes I am very jealous and also elated of and by Andrew and Elliott's relationship that pretty much started on IDF and I feel has a whole cornerstone and maybe room in their apartment dedicated to Lee DeWyze). And that's because Carol feels like this turning point where movies that featured a queer romance not centered on trauma or DEATH or feel exploitative could be mainstream and awards bait-y. Just like the heteros. WITHOUT CAROL THERE IS NO CALL ME BY YOUR NAME. LESBIANS WERE HERE FIRST (just like they are in all queer spaces before affluent gay white men come to co-opt them and take down our lesbian bars!).

The movie is the story of a shopgirl named Therese, played by Rooney Mara who often gets lost in conversations about Carol because Cate Blanchett is CATE BLANCHETT and also perfect, who meets with and eventually falls in love with the older Carol. It's filmed beautifully. It's stylish both in cinematography and the fashion (everything the titular Carol wears is to die for), and it has a truly incredible score. And it's acted fantastically. Whether it's simple glances from across the store or table or the more intimate scenes, the romantic tension between Therese and Carol is palpable and believable. And of course here is where we must praise Cate Blanchett again because she's so capable of conveying so much with a simple glance or stare or subdued smile. In any gif that you even see of Carol, you know who that character is and what is going on.

And you see it in Rooney Mara's Therese as well. She starts off as a kind of proto-typical 50s shopgirl. She has a boyfriend and a life she's not very excited about but it's nothing to complain about either. And that all seems fine until she meets Carol. And what starts out as fascination and admiration for this older woman comes head-to-head for Therese to really seize what she wants in life. And that's Carol.

tumblr_ny5z3n0OEA1up42jgo9_500.gifv

Carol came out in 2015. I saw it over my holiday break by myself in a theater in Johnson County, Kansas surrounded by old white people. I mean they may have been alive in the 50s. IDK. Lotta straight couples.

Carol didn't win any Academy Awards and it wasn't even nominated for Best Picture. That year Jared Leto's Hot Topic inspired Joker helped Suicide Squad win a single Academy Award for makeup. That was the year I stopped watching the awards.

HER

Well Her is a movie I've seen... but I didn't like it. Her is a 2013 science-fiction romantic comedy that was written and directed by Spike Jonze, with a score by Arcade Fire, and stars Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, Olivia Wilde, Scarlett Johansson (whose husband, Chris Jost, is apparently not gay????), the worst leading man ever Chris Pr*tt, Matt Letscher, Luka Jones, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Portia Doubleday and Brian Cox. It's about a man who develops a relationship with an artificial intelligence virtual assistant named Samantha. Upon its release, the film received widespread critical acclaim and appeared on pretty much ever year-end best list. It has an approval rating of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and even received five Academy Award nominations. Clearly I don't agree with any of that. Anyway, I'm being rushed to get this up so Alex can move on and I'm ready for bed anyway so.

SAVE: Annihilation

Cycle 18 ~The Final Cut~

tenor.gif?itemid=7390009

Thirty films are left. In 24 hours we will only have 20 left though. It's time for the always iconic and drama-filled final cuts round. You all have one last opportunity to cut one film of your choice. There are no immunities and nothing is off limits. Do what you gotta do to make sure what you don't want to win doesn't have the opportunity to. You all have exactly 24 hours, no exceptions. If you don't think you're gonna be around 24 hours from now, then make your cut early cause I don't wanna hear any bitching when you miss your chance. Any cuts that don't happen within 24 hours will be randomized.

So Tuesday at 10:39 pm we will have our top 20!

@aliasocfan @Deeee @Steven_ @NGM @totes4totes @.Rei @#jeah @*Chris @1234567890 @Elliott

Top 30

Black Swan

Blue Valentine

Incendies

Inception

Toy Story 3

Winter’s Bone

Drive

The Master

Ex Machina

Gone Girl

Mad Max: Fury Road

Room

Spotlight

10 Cloverfield Lane

Arrival

The Handmaiden

Your Name.

Coco

Get Out

Lady Bird

Thor: Ragnarok

Wonder Woman

Annihilation

Disobedience

The Favourite

Hereditary

Roma

Little Women

Parasite

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the Decade Rankdown (FINAL CUTS)

Also open question for discussion, everyone feel free to chime in.

I normally do two weeks to get final rankings in with writeups. But I wanna give everyone an opportunity to check out the movies in the top 20 they haven't seen yet or revisit movies they haven't watched in a while so I was thinking about giving everyone a month. But if no one plans on doing that and just doing all their writeups three hours before the deadline as per usual then I'll stick with the regular two weeks since it won't make a difference lol. So would you rather have more time to revisit all the movies or does it not matter to you and you'd rather get to results quicker? There's no right answer, I'm curious how everyone feels!

3 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I normally do two weeks to get final rankings in with writeups. But I wanna give everyone an opportunity to check out the movies in the top 20 they haven't seen yet or revisit movies they haven't watched in a while so I was thinking about giving everyone a month. But if no one plans on doing that and just doing all their writeups three hours before the deadline as per usual then I'll stick with the regular two weeks since it won't make a difference lol. So would you rather have more time to revisit all the movies or does it not matter to you and you'd rather get to results quicker? There's no right answer, I'm curious how everyone feels!

If I had a month, I would actually try to watch all the films I haven't seen.

...Which will wind up being the entire Top 20 at this rate.

3 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I will DEFINITELY be watching every film over again. It might not impact my numerical rankings, but should impact my write-up content. So somewhere in between the two weeks and a month might be a great middle ground. 

Portrait of Lady on Fire

Portrait_of_a_Lady_on_Fire.jpg

giphy.gif

The deadline is in the middle of the night for me so I might as well do this now cause I don't plan on waking up at that time to post a write-up. Out of this top 30, there are only 6 films that I haven't watched: Your Name., The Master, Little Women, Parasite, Drive and Portrait of a Lady on Fire. It was a toss-up between this and Little Women, but then I remembered Megan's set of nominations completely directed at me some time ago that started the decimation of my favorites and the decision was ultimately made. Portrait of a Lady on Fire is a 2019 French historical romantic drama film directed by Celine Sciamma. The movie follows the story of a female painter at the end of the eighteen century that is obliged to paint a wedding portrait of a young woman. The two women begin then a forbidden affair. The cast of the movie included: Noemie Merlant, Adele Haenel, Luana Bajrami and Valeria Golino. The movie wasn't a particularly big box office success as it only made $10M against a budget of $6M. The movie however received critical acclaim with critics calling a rich period piece with thought provoking drama and powerfully acted romance. It has a Tomatoscore of 98% and a Metascore of 95/100. It is the second best reviewed film of 2019 on Metacritic. Reading the plot of it, I'm sure I would like this film as it is a french and a queer film and I tend to love this combination.

Edited by .Rei