Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Don't Breathe (2016)

Don't Breathe (2016 film).png

GIF by Don't Breathe - Find & Share on GIPHY

Don't Breathe is a horror/thriller film. In a twist on the home invasion horror genre, this film is about 3 young burglars who break into a home of a blind man, only to discover that he is extremely dangerous and not afraid to fight back. What were they looking for when they broke into the house? What will they actually find instead?? What is the scary old blind man hiding???? This film was produced/directed by Fede Álvarez. To quote Wiki: "In contrast to his previous work on Evil Dead, director Álvarez decided the project would have less blood, an original storyline, more suspense, and no dependence on spooky supernatural elements - which he felt was currently overused." 

If that sentence isn't enough to convince some non-horror fans to give it a try, I don't know what else is needed. A lot of complaints about the horror genre are about how it's too gorey, derivative, too thin of a plot, etc. If only there were more advocates for the horror genre in this rankdown. Like maybe if some rankers from the Horror Rankdown were also participating in the Film Rankdown and they could try not to put good horror movies up against some of the best films of the decade. Like that would be cool and we could highlight some good horror movies from the decade that managed to get critical acclaim, like 88% on Rotten Tomatoes or something. 

The film stars Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette (better know for starring in the truly truly awful 13 Reason Why), Daniel Zovatto, and Stephen Lang. It's so good and original that you know there will be 1,500 sequels. There is a sequel already in production now apparently. Don't Breathe Again, coming to a theater near you in Fall 2021. Unfortunately the United States of America will likely not last that long, especially considering the recent events of today. Oh well. If it does, you can look forward to Don't Breathe 7: You Can't Breathe In Space in 2032.

Save: Winter's Bone

Edited by FrogLenzen

1 hour ago, FrogLenzen said:

If that sentence isn't enough to convince some non-horror fans to give it a try, I don't know what else is needed. A lot of complaints about the horror genre are about how it's too gorey, derivative, too thin of a plot, etc. If only there were more advocates for the horror genre in this rankdown. Like maybe if some rankers from the Horror Rankdown were also participating in the Film Rankdown and they could try not to put good horror movies up against some of the best films of the decade. Like that would be cool and we could highlight some good horror movies from the decade that managed to get critical acclaim, like 88% on Rotten Tomatoes or something. 

Talking about anybody in particular there? 

I agree, it's a shame that Midsommar had to be nominated. Necessary evil. 

Flight 

Flight_film_poster.jpg

This movie came out in 2012. It is directed by Robert Zemeckis. It is written by John Gatins. It stars Denzel Washington. His character, Whip, is an airline pilot. The whole plot of the movie resolves around his making this miraculous landing that saved the occupants of the plane. Initially, it is all praise. It is eventually revealed that there was alcohol in his system. Wiki tells me he was a functioning alcoholic. Despite the accident being caused by engine failure and him personally saving everyone (lots of different simulations took place and no one else landed safety), they do not try to get him help. The focus seems to be on throwing him under the bus and having someone to blame. 

Denzel Washington was nominated for Best Actor (from the sounds of this role, I am not surprised). The writer was also nominated for Best Original Screenplay.

Saving Molly's Game

NASTY BABY

220px-Nasty_Baby_(poster).jpg

I just read the entire plot of this film on Wikipedia, and...the ending was very unexpected. I did not see that coming. Anyway, the premise is about a gay couple wanting to have a baby, and they seek the help of a friend to carry the baby. And throughout the film, they come in contact with a homophobic person called The Bishop. And then the movie ends in such an unexpected way, and it’s probably too big of a spoiler to mention here. In addition, the title of the film is in reference to a short film one of the main characters want to make, which is of him screaming like an infant. What is this movie? This seems very bizarre, and it’s not one I want to seek out to watch. According to Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 66% approval rating and the site says, “Nasty Baby juggles an ambitious array of tones, and not always successfully -- but its talented cast and surprising narrative twists leave a lingering impression.” Maybe others can see this as an interesting film, but it’s not for me. Sorry to any fans.

And I’ll save Heartbeats

Judy

Doing this write up quickly on my phone so Alex I will fix this along with all my others.

Judy is a biopic of Judy Garland featuring Renee Zellweger in the title role. I will tell you right now that it is F*CKED that Renée Zellweger won the Academy Award for playing Judy Garland and that Judy Garland never won an Academy Award (she should have for her 1954 A Star is Born performance!!!!). The story of Judy Garland is an incredibly sad one and I think that Renée Zellweger does not do a great or in any way Academy Award winning job in portraying Judy Garland. Support Judy by watching her movies. Don’t watch this movie. You don’t need to. Read a book or listen to a podcast on Judy Garland (will recommend You Must Remember This’s episode on her which is phenomenal!). This movie is fine if you want like a fine film about Judy. But Judy deserves exceptional.