idolforums.com
Alex95

Films of the Decade Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Posted)

Tully (2018)

Mackenzie Davis Fan — natahsharomanoff: Tully (2018)

This film was directed by Jason Reitman and written by Diablo Cody. These are the boys who brought you Juno (2007), Jennifer's Body (2009), and Young Adult (2011). Like with Young Adult, this film stars Charlize Theron, where she is supported by Mackenzie Davis (featured in the gif above), Mark Duplass, and Ron Livingston. The basic premise is that Charlize's character is a tired mother of two, with one son who has a developmental disorder, and she is pregnant with a third child. After the third child is born, Charlize's character has even more trouble, and decides to hire a night nanny named Tully. The movie explores the new relationship between the women as Charlize's character struggles with motherhood. 

So, a popular game that we like to play here on IDF's Film Rankdown is "why did Megan nominate this film?" Does she not like one of the actors? Was a director cancelled for some reason? Is there a promise of lesbianism that goes unfulfilled? Does it portray a mental illness in a problematic manner? The third question comes a bit close in this one, but ultimately it's that last category that takes this film out of the rankdown. The film was well-received by critics, and Charlize was nominated for a Golden Globe and a Critics' Choice Award. However, the film has been criticized for its portrayal of postpartum mental health. Charlize's poor character goes throughout the film with no one recognizing or helping her with her issues, and seems to be forced solve them all herself. This normalization of compartmentalization of women's mental health is not cute. As we know from Elliott's thoughts on Midsommar, he is also sensitive to carelessness in the portrayal of mental health issues. 

Also, the movie tries to M. Night Shamalamalama the audience at the end, and it's tired.

Save: Captain Phillips

Edited by FrogLenzen

For Rei, Chris, and Victoria:

Kick-Ass 

Shutter Island 

My Week with Marilyn 

The Place Beyond the Pines 

American Hustle 

Kingsman: The Secret Service 

7 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

I nominated Tully because I confused it with Sully.

I have no regrets. LOL

lmaoooo :dead:

The Place Beyond the Pines

giphy.gif

I've seen ever movie left nominated in this round besides The Place Beyond the Pines so that is why it is getting the axe from this this go-around. The Place Beyond the Pines was released in 2012 and is an American neo-noir crime drama film directed by Derek Cianfrance, and written by Cianfrance, Ben Coccio, and Darius Marder. The film tells the tale of three linear stories. One of Luke Glanton played by Ryan Gosling who is a motorcycle stunt rider who supports his family through a life of crime, another of Avery Cross played by Bradley Cooper who is an ambitious policeman who confronts his corrupt police department and lastly the story of two troubles teenagers Jason Glanton played by Dane DeHaan and A.J. Cross played by Emory Cohen. These two teens explore the aftermath of Luke and Avery fifteen years later. The film also stars Eva Mendes, with Ben Mendelsohn, Rose Byrne, Mahershala Ali, Bruce Greenwood, Harris Yulin, and Ray Liotta. The film has a 78% approval rating on RT and was distributed by Focus Features.

Save: American Hustle

Sad to see The Place Beyond the Pines go, but hopefully Kingsman: The Secret Service will be saved. image.gif.30d3fe3fee3a2e347c98aad97a8d8e0c.gif

My week with Marilyn

My_Week_with_Marilyn_Poster.jpg

original.gif

I've chosen to cut the only movie that I haven't watched from the nominees left. My week with Marilyn is a 2011 drama film that followed one week in the life of Marilyn Monroe. The evens of the films are set during the shooting of the 1957 movie The Prince and the Showgirl, which starred Marilyn Monroe and Laurence Olivier. In the movie we see Marilyn struggle with hr fame, her beauty and her desire to be a great actress. I'm sure the acting in this movie must have been impeccable as Michelle Williams talent's as an actress are impeccable. Besides Michelle Williams there were also some great names in the cast like Kenneth Branagh, Eddie Redmayne, Dominic Cooper, Julia Ormond, Emma Watson and Miss Judi Dench. The film was a success by making $30M against a budget of $10M. Reviews were positive by the critics with many praising Michelles's performances and even receiving many best actress nominations, including the Academy Awards. The film currently holds a Tomatoscore of 83 and a Metascore of 65. 

Saving Kingsman The Secret Service (because well......)

tumblr_p00rlbcbL21uq38ibo2_400.gif68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177736a00d8341c730253ef01b7c74c4dfb970b.gif264639ae6c34bf72c2f5a3f6e42e7f3e.giftumblr_pdshgnwiE61rz9hl6o2_500.gifv8c8386da4faada7e15cc56d07235b948.gif

2 hours ago, Alex95 said:

About 5 more hours for @*Chris

I’ll try to have done by then. Been busy with work and volunteering 

3 hours ago, *Chris said:

I’ll try to have done by then. Been busy with work and volunteering 

I'm ridiculously busy too, some time tonight at least please!

SHUTTER ISLAND

i am cutting shutter island because I don’t think it has any huge fans? And I feel people like Kick Ass more? Maybe I am mistaken. Anyway, I haven’t really watched this movie in its entirety - I feel like it’s super well known and people enjoy it. Personally speaking, I don’t think I’ll ever go back to finish watching it cause I ain’t the biggest fan of Leonardo Dicaprio. Honestly I’ll update this later because I need to do the writeup - I really don’t know what else to say about it beside that what I already said without doing research. 

• Sad 1

NOMINATIONS

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)
Attack the Block (2011)

Take Shelter (2011)

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)
Blockers (2018)
My Best Friend (2018)

Widows (2018)

Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)

I love My Best Friend but there’s no way it will survive given the nominations and the rankers involved :/

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Again, I'm at work so a gif will come later. I think all of these movies deserve to make it much further but you know, I can't start something that I don't expect people to follow up on (though I will play the CLASSIC rankdown victim card in that I didn't intentionally start something, I just followed up on things where I already felt unintentionally slighted). Anyway, that brings me to knowing that The Tale of Princess Kaguya isn't going to make it anywhere near endgame and it making it this far seems enough and sometimes I just like cutting movies that I get to do write-ups for because I love them more than anybody else and will give them the best write-up (except for maybe Dee who can write 1000 words on movies he hates). 

Anyway, The Tale of Princess Kaguya is really the last Isao Takahata film (he was the artistic producer on one more movie) who is better known for being the non-Miyazaki half of Studio Ghibli. Takahata passed in 2018 and of all the movies that he did it feels very fitting that this was the final film. Unlike Miyazaki who has a very defined artistic style that typifies what we expect from Studio Ghibli, Takahata (who Miyazaki did consider a mentor) flits between various artistic styles that you can see in his six major movies (Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Winter Days, and the Tale of Princess Kaguya). And unlike Miyazaki whose films have a much more universal appeal because they tend to be more fantastical, Isao Takahata's films tend to be incredibly Japanese. From his most famous Grave of the Fireflies depicting a World War II Japan and Pom Poko which depicts the tanuki and their infamous testicles (for those of you unfamiliar, the Tanuki suit is the definitive Super Mario Bros 3 power up). And because of this his movies weren't as quickly or as widely distributed as Miyazaki's Ghibli output. For example, it took 25 years for Only Yesterday to receive an English dub and a US release (and the movie is quite good either way).

That's the background on Takahata, and the Tale of Princess Kaguya like many of his other films is quintessentially Japanese and perhaps his most fantastical. It's based on The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter which is a classic Japanese folktale about a man and his wife who find a beautiful baby inside the stalk of bamboo. As she grows up, she's so beautiful that the bamboo cutter gives her the moniker of Princess Kaguya and tries to marry her to a man whose status and wealth matches her beauty, but Kaguya who is content with her lifestyle and in love with a boy whom she grew up with gives the five noblemen who are vying for her hand in marriage seemingly impossible tasks which eventually leads one to his death. After this Kaguya learns that she is actually from the moon and having broken the laws was sent to the Earth to live a mortal life as punishment. Eventually she is taken back to the moon and forgets about her mortal life on Earth, her parents who raised her, the boy she fell in love with, the joys she experienced, and the heartbreak. 

Like his most famous work (Grave of the Fireflies), The Tale of Princess Kaguya is not a happy film. It doesn't have a happy ending. Kaguya doesn't have to marry a nobleman but she doesn't get to marry her love either (and by the time they profess their love, he had already married another woman and had a child with her). Her parents don't get to keep their daughter on Earth and she doesn't get to keep the memories of the mortal life she lived. It's Isao Takahata's last film and it was originally supposed to be Ghibli's last film so fittingly it's a film about loss and having to say goodbye.

Isao Takahata wasn't appreciated enough in his lifetime, especially in the west. But The Tale of Princess Kaguya is one of his biggest triumphs and one of the most beautifully animated films I've ever watched. If you get a chance, you should watch this movie and his other films. Especially if you are a Ghibli fan or an animation fan. 

Saving: Portrait of a Lady on Fire

1 hour ago, totes4totes said:

Save Portrait of a Lady

Cut My Best Friend

I cut The Tale of Princess Kaguya. Don't know what my brain did here. Good thing my write-up came in 36 minutes after I posted this. :haha:

4 minutes ago, aliasocfan said:

Really not sure what to cut. 

Cut My Best Friend. Rei already gave you its blessing to cut and I was supposed to cut it before I didn't.

31 minutes ago, aliasocfan said:

Really not sure what to cut. 

Anything but My best friend 😊