idolforums.com
Alex95

Films of the Decade Rankdown (Elliott's Noms Next)

Quite a few movies I love/like...

Save It's Only the End of the World 🙂 

Cutting People Like Us

Edited by *Chris

1 minute ago, 1234567890 said:

The Greatest Showman being saved. 😍

It’s definitely overrated but it’s far from a bad movie

6 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Quite a few movies I love/like...

Save It's Only the End of the World 🙂 

Cutting People Like Us

Refreshing because I edited something.

THE AFTERMATH

ZoWMx8psZ6kYk2R35wAezMYDuj-rvXtNQFaqMwWD

I'm not familiar with The Aftermath, but a poor Rotten Tomatoes approval rating of 27% tells me this is a fair cut to make. According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Tasteful to a fault, The Aftermath is worth seeking out only for the most passionate period drama enthusiasts." So what is The Aftermath about? This film is based on a 2013 novel by Rhidian Brook. The story is set in a postwar Germany in 1945. Keira Knightley and Jason Clarke play married couple Rachael and Lewis. Their son was killed during the Blitz, which puts a strain on their relationship. During her grief, Rachael begins to have an affair with a man named Stephen (played by Alexander Skarsgård). And to complicate issues even more, there is suspicion that Stephen is involved in Werwolf activity (but it's really Stephen's daughter's boyfriend who is involved in that). This doesn't sound like the kind of movie I'd be interested in watching. I'm reading more reviews for the film, and the acting is praised. However, the script is lackluster and absent of any substance. Anyway, sorry to any fans of The Aftermath, but out it goes from the rankdown.

And I'll save Love, Rosie.

3ce80d77d0001873e7f9510fedbdf5b8.gif

Edited by Steven_

download.php?type=download&image=15375&s'

tumblr_opz923nXiI1uv14tlo4_500.gifv

This drama movie, released in 2012, stars Chris Pine & Elizabeth Banks in the lead - other actors featured in the movie includes Olivia Wilde, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Jon Favreau. It essentially follows the life of Chris Prine's character - Sam Harper as he found out that he may have violated some federal law and may be going to prison. While all of this is happening, he finds out that his girlfriend's father passed away, and he essentially need to bribe his way out of trouble. We are then introduced to Elizabeth Banks's character - we find out that she is Sam's half-sister; he's essentially introduced to them for money or something. Knowing that she is recovering from alcholism, he gets involves in their life where he forms a bond with Frankie & her son.  He finally reveal that they're related which does not go as planned - all of this have an impact on his relationship with his girlfriend.  However, the ending is what makes the movie special - it's the highlight of the movie.

Anyway, the movie didn't receive the best reception but I did enjoy it - it's your typical family drama that finds a way to be a feel-good movie which is found in the backstory of the movie & the ending of it. Unfortunately, I am cutting it because it's far from my favourites, and there's other movies that are nominated that I want to see survive.

SAVING: IT'S ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD

46 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Cut extremely loud, save the greatest showman

Refresh

EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE (2011)

tumblr_m2uv6g8kH71r728kvo1_500.gif

Sigh, I feel bad for hating on this movie because the subject matter is incredibly tense and it tries really hard to show what it was like for families of those who lost a loved on during 9/11....however....this movie bored me to tears. I'm still confused as to how it ended up as a Best Picture nominee, but I think the very patriotic subject matter and some of the cast (Tom Hanks + Sandra Bullock) made it really easy for the Academy to nominate this movie. However, it does not stand up well for me on its own imo. I think the failure of the movie for me is that it tried so hard to be sensitive and poignant, but when it came down to it, the story was very hollow. It centers around a boy with Asperger's whose father was killed in one of the Twin Towers, and the movie is primarily shown through his lens. It's a very interesting concept in theory but the execution was just not it. So out it goes from this rankdown.

Saving: The Greatest Showman...I get why it was nominated but it's the only movie I somewhat enjoyed out of this list.

A Dog's Purpose

tumblr_oomsa1ObFQ1qb0i4vo3_250.gifv

I love dogs. I really love dogs. I don't like dogs dying over and over in one singular movie because that makes me a sobbing mess. This is the reason I am cutting this film. It should be a rule that dogs (or cats) shouldn't die in films. HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING FROM MARLEY & ME? A Dog's Purpose was released in 2017 and is an American comedy-drama adventure film. That was a mouthful. It was directed by Lasse Hallström and written by W. Bruce Cameron, Cathryn Michon, Audrey Wells, Maya Forbes and Wally Wolodarsky. The movie is based on the novel of the same name released in 2010 written by W. Bruce Cameron. The film stars Britt Robertson, KJ Apa, Juliet Rylance, John Ortiz, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Peggy Lipton, Dennis Quaid, and Josh Gad. Sorry, @miss denise. I cut a film with the hottie KJ Apa. :stealth: The film follows the story of Bailey who is a devoted dog to Ethan Montgomery. He dies over and over again and is reborn with different owners until he finally finds Ethan again. The film was released by Universal Pictures and made $205 million dollars worldwide. Wow, a lot of people like to see dogs die. :(On Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 35% while audiences gave is an "A" CinemaScore. Their was controversy over the treatment of the animals on the film so I feel comfortable cutting this film. A sequel entitled A Dog's Journey was released in 2019.

Saving: Charlie St. Cloud

• Sad 1

Frankie & Alice (2010 dir. by Geoffrey Sax)

tumblr_ndh2u6ZFWX1txuk4eo1_500.gifv

All of the nominated films ranged from very bad to very, very flawed, so good job @.Rei

Frankie & Alice is a film that falls into the very bad category. The film is based on the true story of a popular go-go dancer/stripper in the 1970s that suffers from dissociative identity disorder. Frankie is one of the most popular strippers at the club she works at, and often earns the attention of wealthy businessmen. After work one night, Frankie and some of her coworkers go out to a bar, where Frankie catches the attention of a well-known bartender. Both consent to casual sex, so Frankie goes home with him that night. Before anything can occur, Frankie suffers from an episode and switches to an alter, which causes her to crack the bartender in the head with a picture frame. 

The word of this event travels quickly back to her work, which results in her being fired from her job. The film then follows Frankie through two more episodes of her illness, and she decides to start psychiatric treatment. In one of her sessions, Frankie learns of the identities of her two alters:

Genius, a seven year-old challenge
Alice, a Southern racist white woman

Frankie struggles more with Alice as an alter, and the rest of the film sees Frankie in her attempt to discover and unwrap the traumas that aided in the development of her illness. The traumas that she encountered were pretty heavy. The film ends with Frankie watching her taped sessions and understanding her other alter personalities, and making a conscious decision to begin integrating these personalities.

The film stars Halle Berry in the titular roles. The film also stars Vanessa Morgan, Stellan Skarsgård, Phylicia Rashad, Matt Frewer, Chandra Wilson, and Katherine Isabelle. 

The movie is really bad. I have always had a particular interest in researching psychological/psychiatric disorders, so I was disappointed to see such a bad end-result. While Halle Berry delivered a strong performance, everything else about this attempt at a prestige picture is disappointing. The film is very soapy, melodramatic, by-the-numbers, and messy. I will praise the film for at least treating the subject matter respectfully. I really hope to see more films respectfully tackle mental illnesses, but with a higher quality.

Berry received numerous award nominations for her performance, most notably a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama. She did not win, however. The film currently has a 27% on RT and a 47 on Metacritic. Out this film goes!

SAVING: The Paperboy

Halle Barry is too good of an actress for the roles her agent keeps putting her in.

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

Halle Barry is too good of an actress for the roles her agent keeps putting her in.

Agreed.

Just now, Deeee said:

Agreed.

Though her dragging her then-team when she got the Razzie for Catwoman was :wub: