Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

4 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I'm cutting Friends With Benefits. It was the movie Victoria nominated, wasn't it? :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Elliott said:

oh wait she nominated No Strings Attached too. :dead:

I'll just leave Friends With Benefits as my cut.

I didn't nominate Friends With Benefits. It was previously cut.

No_Strings_Attached_Poster.jpg

Me after not realizing what movie I cut and causing confusion for everyone:

giphy.gif

So No Strings Attached is a film about two best friends who are horny and decide to start f*cking. Naturally, they realize they have ~feelings~ for one another. Shocker. Not. It stars Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman as the aforementioned best friends. This movie came out around the same time as Friends With Benefits, which starred Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake. Did we all get them mixed up, or was it just me? I'm going to hope the former. (Also the irony of Mila and Ashton being in opposing films considering their relationship nowadays.) Anyway, it somehow made $149 million dollar on a budget of $25 million, so clearly it was a success! I had no interest in seeing it, so out it goes here.

SAVE: GBF

4 minutes ago, #jeah said:

GNOMEO & JULIET (2011)

V4sTkd.gif

This is a romance? :dead: I guess we can be whatever we want to these days! Gnomeo & Juliet is a 2011 animated movie from Disney & Touchstone Pictures.

"Gnomeo & Juliet is a 2011 British-American 3D computer-animated fantasy romantic comedy film loosely based on William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet and an original screenplay by John R. Smith and Rob Sprackling." - Wikipedia.

I'm more shocked to find out the movie was financed by Disney. It's not a Disney film per say as it's under their Touchstone Picture banner.

7 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I'm more shocked to find out the movie was financed by Disney. It's not a Disney film per say as it's under their Touchstone Picture banner.

What movie isn't financed by Disney at some point tbh

Remember Me

220px-Remember_me_film_poster.jpg

Did I throw the remaining movies on random.org to make the decision of what to cut? Absolutely. I don't think I ever watched this movie in particular, so time to find out what I got myself into. It was released in 2010, and stars Robert Pattinson, Emilie de Ravin (wow a Lost tea, love to find out she's doing stuff), Chris Cooper, Lena Olin, and Pierce Brosnan. 
I just read the plot of this and it makes less sense that whatever went down on the last 2 pages of this rankdown. Who wrote this garbage?????? Did people watch this? I wanna go back to not knowing what this film was tbh. It got generally bad to mixed reviews and I can imagine why, idk who you can execute this script in a way it doesn't feel cheap. Anyway good f*cking riddance.

Save: Date Night

original.gif

Footloose (2011)

LOL LOOK AT HOW STUPID THAT GIF IS. PERFECT FOR THIS STUPID REMAKE. Footloose (2011) is a remake of the 1984 Kevin Bacon classic. It stars Kenny Wormald in the Kevin Bacon role and let me tell you, Kevin Bacon = great, Kenny Wormald = bland charisma void. Anyway, it's all pretty much the same, a town bans dancing after the Reverend's son dies after a night of partying. Ren comes in and falls in love with the Reverend's daughter and helps the town dance again. God even writing it out is so stupid. Also, Julianne Hough plays the role of the daughter and even if the rest of the movie were actually good that would be enough of a foundation to give this movie the axe anyway. 

Saving: The Spectacular Now a film I love!

Edited by totes4totes

Five Feet Apart (2019 dir. by Justin Baldoni)

giphy.gif

Offensive film about cystic fibrosis gets the boot. Wonderful outcome. Five Feet Apart is a film about two young patients with cystic fibrosis, portrayed by Haley Lu Richardson and Cole Sprouse, both of whom eventually fall in love and struggle with keeping a healthy distance of six feet apart. How poignant that I cut this film right now, given the state of the world currently.

What ensues is formulaic teen romance-drama nonsense. I will not get much into the plot details for anybody that might still care to watch this fairly new movie. Most critics found the film uninteresting, awkward, and cliché, but praise Haley Lu Richardson for a powerful performance. The film was a commercial success, grossing $91 million on a $7 million budget.

Why do I hate this film? Firstly, the community of individuals with cystic fibrosis criticized the film for romanticizing a terminal illness and for utilizing this devastating, incurable disease as a teen-romance Hollywood plot point. The community also struggled with the depiction of medically unsafe behaviors throughout the entire film. While the community appreciated a film that was open to discussing the troubles faced by any individual with the disease, the way this film approached the topic was insensitive and tone-deaf. Not to mention the social media promotional campaign for the film, which included paid influencers talking about the difficulties of long-distance relationships, etc. LOLOLOLOL.

Very gross stuff. Perfect elimination. #StayAtHome #PracticeSocialDistancing #RespectCommunitiesWithTerminalDiseases #6FeetPlease

SAVING: To The Wonder

What to Expect When You're Expecting

What_to_Expect_When_You're_Expecting.jpg

source.gif

Terrible name for a movie. What to Expect When You're Expecting is a 2012 romantic comedy film that is based on the 1984 pregnancy guide of the same name. I guess movies can be based on whatever nowadays. The cast ist top notch with the likes of Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Lopez, Anna Kendrick, Elizabeth Banks, Chase Crawford, Brooklyn Decker, Dennis Quaid. Matthew Morrison, Chris Rock and Rodrigo Santoro. The movies is about five couples whose lives are turned upside down by the difficulties and surprises of parenthood. What a boring premise. 💤 I haven't watched this but I firmly believe that all of them deserved better. 23 Tomatoscore??? YIKES. $84M against a $40M budget?? YIKES. Out of this rankdown!!!!

Saving Belle

tumblr_n9yx3nms791qhhxd4o2_250.gif

11 hours ago, *Chris said:

340?cb=20160124042834

tumblr_mdn9grefXS1qh2o7zo1_r1_500.gif

Released in 2012, Hope Springs is a romantic comedy featuring Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones, and Steve Carell. What's the movie about? It follows the lives of Kay & Arnold Soames whom are empty nesters - they are looking to find a way to find the spark they once had in their marriage, which is essentially an effect of them being empty nesters as they've been sleeping in separate rooms. Kay decides to invest in marriage counseling where Steve Carell portrays the doctor. Throughout the movie, they take baby step in their relationship to salvage it but back to their normal lives, they are struggling to keep the progress made at the counseling resorts. At the end of the movie, they're obviously still together & more in love than ever.

The movie found some success, and the acting was praised. But with that being said, I did not care for the movie at all - it's probably because I am not their target audience as they probably targeted all of the empty nesters that can relate to the storyline of the movie. 

SAVING: COUNTRY STRONG

Updated!

16 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Anna Kendrick’s agent needs to stop putting her in bad movies.

Amen!

I really loved her in Up In The Air, and she showed that she has ton of potential. 

Apparently, she'll be in a romantic comedy series - it's by HBO so it could be good.