You’re Next

Life After Beth

The Purge: Anarchy

I Saw The Devil

The Other Guys

The Lego Movie

source.gif

The Purge: Anarchy

I'm cutting a Purge movie because only I can give it the write-up it deserves! Also because I kind of forgot that this movie was still in the game! Honestly, an incredible achievement for my pet horror series to make it this far into the game! And this by far is the best Purge movie (IMO) and deservedly makes it into the Top 600. But that feels about appropriate for any Purge movie. While the first Purge movie focused on a well-off family in a wealthy suburb trying (and failing) to avoid the annual Purge, The Purge: Anarchy, takes place across the Greater LA area. Honestly, we should all probably be preparing for the Annual Purge to be instituted. With the way this year is going, why not???? I mean at the end of the film it's revealed that the upper class politicians instituted the Purge to eliminate members of the undesirable lower class. I mean I can only assume that the people in charge of this nation currently haven't seen the Purge because that really seems right up their alley. But I guess with the fact that police officers can just murder people they don't like at will they don't really need a formal Purge. 

Saving: Spring Breakers

Life After Beth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVtaRAAWJss

I only watched this movie bc Aubrey Plaza was in it. Don't get me wrong she's probably the best thing in the movie, but that doesn't mean it's something I would recommend to anyone, even if you are a fan of hers (even less if you are watching for someone else on the cast). Anyway, it's a zombie (a concept that hopefully can get left behind in the 2010s) comedy directed by Jeff Baena, starring Aubrey Plaza, Dane DeHaan, Molly Shannon and John C. Reilly (Anna Kendrick is also there if you wanna suffer through this to see her ig). Basic idea: girlfriend dies and comes back as a zombie, and the results are, well, mixed. The movie should have been a short movie at best lol. Anyway, that's it.

Save: Looper

CONTAGION

I'm cutting this movie because now that we're living through it, it's no longer needed. After returning to Chicago from a business trip in Hong Kong, a woman falls ill with a virus and dies. Though her husband is naturally immune to it, the virus begins to spread across the United States (and eventually the globe) after the government drops the ball on containing it. Well, then... The film received positive reviews from film critics, and turned in a nice profit off of its budget. The film has naturally received a lot of attention recently, and has reportedly been streamed more in the last few months than it did in the years since its release. Why stream it when you can just watch the news, tbh. Anyway, out it goes here!

SAVE: Warm Bodies

THIS IS THE END

tumblr_mvgafoh1nX1qdcwzto1_500.gif

I’ve been using movie posters for my write-ups, but this time I’ll use a gif that includes Emma Watson instead. :wub: Anyway, I’m not a fan of Seth Rogen’s brand of comedy at all, so I’ll eliminate one of his films while I have the chance. This is the End is a comedy about the end of the world with celebrities playing themselves. That’s it; that’s the whole film. I haven’t seen the movie, but I did see the clip with Emma on YouTube. It was an amusing cameo, but it wasn’t enough to make me want to watch the rest of the film. Anyway, This is the End was released in 2013 with Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride, and Craig Robinson in the main roles. According to Rotten Tomatoes, “Energetic, self-deprecating performances and enough guffaw-inducing humor make up for the flaws in This Is the End's loosely written script.” It also has an 83% approval rating, which seems very generous. Anyway, this is the end for This is the End’s time in the rankdown.

And I’m saving The Heat.

tenor.gif?itemid=3581285

HUGO (2011)

tumblr_m0lw6mx4rb1qdkn43o1_400.gifv

Let me preface this write-up by saying that I only saw this movie once, when it was first released in theaters. I saw it with my brothers and we were all thinking when it ended....why was this so hyped? I mean it's a cute movie based on a fictional character whose story ends up intertwined with a real man (filmmaker Georges Méliès, the French man who made the famous film A Trip to the Moon). Hugo is a homeless boy played by Asa Butterfield who lives in a train station in Paris, during the 1930s. Directed and produced by Martin Scorsese, the movie's story reaches its climax when Hugo becomes involved in a mystery regarding his father, an automaton, and Méliès himself. It's kind of an interesting story, but to me it never really took off or left a lasting memory other than a bit of disappointment. Technically, the film was fantastic as it was shot beautifully and had gorgeous special effects throughout. It kind of reminds me of Avatar in that regard - well filmed and gorgeous, but with an unexciting story.

Saving: The Wolverine

The Other Guys

Other_guys_poster.jpg

4ZiF.mp4

Every time I see that The Other Guys I always get scared cause I confuse it with The Nice Guys which I actually really liked so after I checked again that in fact, it wasn't the film I though it was, I decided to gladly cut it cause it has Will Ferrell who I just really dislike even if he hasn't given me any reasons (nor has done any bad stuff that I know of). The Other Guys is a 2010 buddy cop action comedy film and is one of the three collaborations between Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg who for some reason think that we want to watch them together in a movie. The plot follow two incompetents NYPD detectives who receive no respect from their peers, but they get tangled with the investigation of a scaffoldolding permit violation by a multi billonatio that eventually lead them to uncover a much bigger plot including some mercenaries. Overall the movie doesn't interest me at all but again I just don't want to watch any Will Ferell movie. I just realize that I also don't want to watch any Will Smith movie as well. Do I have a problem with the Wills? What's another actor named Will? I guess not many. Oh there's Will Poulter and I like him. Anyway!!! The movie made $170M against a budget of $100M so it was a success. The movie has a Tomatoscore of 78 so I guess is not bad, but I will never know. I won't see it!!!!

Saving You're next

e965f83f7ab3c32378f03dfd603d6cb96ae73a68

• Thanks 1

The Lincoln Lawyer (2011 dir. by Brad Furman)

tumblr_oudfukIdFO1qfbk70o1_500.gifv

One of the few movies remaining in the game that I have not yet seen. McConaughey in a courtroom, legal thriller. This movie is an adaptation of a 2005 novel of the same name, written by author Michael Connelly. Based on the positive reviews and the pretty solid cast, this is probably a movie I want to go watch. So I will not dive too deep into the plot to avoid spoilers. The plot follows Mickey Haller, a lawyer that works out of his Lincoln Town Car, rather than an office setting. Weird. He is hired by a very wealthy Los Angeles businesswoman to defend her son in an assault case. As he begins to look into this new case, he finds the details uncomfortably similar to a former case of his, and comes to realize the two are very intertwined.

Besides McConaughey, the film features Marisa Tomei, Ryan Phillippe, Josh Lucas, John Leguizamo, Michael Peña, Frances Fisher, Bryan Cranston, William H. Macy, and many, many more. The author of the novel was very, very happy with the film. The reviews of the film are generally favorable. I'll give it a watch. But out it goes, since I love all of the remaining nominees far too much to let this film advance.

SAVING: The Cabin in the Woods