Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

My Best Friend/Mi mejor amigo (2018 dir. by Martín Deus)

tumblr_phhhd66Alk1qk88rvo7_500.gifv

Sorry @.Rei but given the fantastic movies in these set of nominations, there is no way I could leave this film alone for you. Written and directed by Martín Deus, this film from Argentina stars Angelo Mutti Spinetta, Lautaro Rodríguez, Guillermo Pfening, Mariana Anghileri, and Benito Mutti Spinetta. I think I should spend this whole write-up talking about how attractive Lautaro Rodríguez is because yummy. The film is about two young boys that form an unlikely relationship after one of the boys is sent to live with the other due to family troubles. The two boys, Lorenzo and Caíto, form a peculiar friendship and begin to learn a lot from one another, despite the fact that Caíto is troubled and has a hard time adapting. A secret is revealed to Lorenzo by Caíto, who must deal with the weight of the secret. The film deals with denial of sexuality among many other things.

I really want to go watch this film. Hence the vague write-up because I am trying not to spoil everything about the movie. Great job for getting this film so far Rei, sorry to cut it now.

SAVING: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Take Shelter 

Take_Shelter_poster.jpg

I am cutting a psychological thriller. I do not like this. 😤 When this type of movie is done right, there are brilliant. Escalating tension throughout the entire movie and then an insane ending. 

This movie resolves around a father (portrayed by Michael Shannon) who keeps dreaming about a big storm. It is constant and he just cannot get it out of his head. He starts to build a shelter on their property. Because of this new obsession and quite frankly sounding like paranoia, his wife (Jessica Chastain) and child seem to start getting scared of him.

Is the storm the actual threat to his family? Is it him? Well, I don't know because I have not seen the movie. Sounds promising though. 👀

Saving Widows 

Attack the Block

attack-the-block-podria-tener-secuela-jo

Welp just realized I have to update my previous write ups. Anyway, this comedy horror film was released in 2011, directed by Joe Cornish and stars (in his acting debut) John Boyega (who would then go on to get criticized by psychotic and racist SW fans, but who cares he's thriving), Jodie Whittaker, and Nick Frost. The film is about a street gang who have to defend themselves against aliens in South London (it sounds ridiculous so i gues comedy horror is an apt description). The film flopped commercially (only making half of his budget), but got a positive critical response, and received some smaller awards. Good on the film for making it this far, but I like Blockers and I have actually watched it so that's pretty much it.

Save: Blockers

Argo

After regretting my decision not to cut Argo when it was previously nominated and having it saved over and over I decided to cut it now when I saw Dee post his noms. Is my write-up any more substantial than my original "Ben Affleck cast himself as a Latino man to play the lead role"? Yes in that I can add "Ben Affleck cast decidedly not Asian Clea Duvall to play a Japanese woman." Ben Affleck presumably knows no people of color because he is a white man from Boston. Anyway, Argo is based on a real story and it won the Academy Award because Hollywood and the Academy loves to award movies that paint themselves as the heroes. Aside from a few exceptions, the best winners of the past decade are largely not my favorite movies and if Green Book didn't exist this one would be the worst of them all.

As former member of the forum Jimmy (buffmetube) would say: "Argo-freak yourself"

Saving: Sing Street

HELLO, MY NAME IS DORIS (2015)

hUeoDx.gif

Ooh Hot Schmidt is in this movie, I am intrigued. I've actually never heard of this movie before and didn't even really realize it was in the game. :haha: Like I don't recognize this name at all. Easy cut for me! This movie was released in 2015 and stars Sally Field and Max Greenfield. It's about an older woman who wishes to attract the attention of her sexy younger coworker. Get it girl! With an 85% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a gross of $14.7 million at the box office against its tiny $1m budget, this movie appears to have been a success. Sally Field garnered a lot of praise for her role...but when does she not tbh. Overall a more than fair cut at this point.

Saving: Stronger