Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

tumblr_mwhimlpHip1r1ult6o1_400.gif

The Kids Are All Right

The Kids Are All Right is a movie about a lesbian couple played by Julianne Moore and Annette Bening and depicts the challenges of being a same-sex couple raising a couple of teenagers who want to form a relationship with their sperm donor. In 2010, I think this movie felt way more progressive than it actually is and in 2020 there are many other much better lesbian movies (we've come so far in 10 years. We being WLW). Honestly, Victoria, you should have just cut this movie because I was always going to cut it if left over anyway. I can see so many more lesbian movies that don't have one of the central characters having an affair with a man and SHOWING IT 1000000 times in the film!!!!! Seriously. Julianne Moore's character has so much sex with Mark Ruffalo that I'm appalled. It's so much the straight man's fantasy of having a chance with a lesbian no matter how long they've been married to their partner or identified as strictly a lesbian. And there are so many ways to show a relationship to fulfill emotional needs aside from showing Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo having sex over and over. (And Lisa Chodolenko is a lesbian filmmaker who did two better queer movies than this one and therefore it's extra disappointing that she said that when making this film she cared more about reaching out to a male audience than she did about the possibility of alienating a queer one). 

I could go on about how much I hate this film. And how bad it is. But it's like 9AM and I'm already so mad about so many other things that I cannot articulately point by point breakdown how much I don't like this movie and think it's completely unnecessary in the year 2020. 

Actually, I'll say one more thing. There's this infamous review of Carol where the male reviewer cannot believe that Cate Blanchett's Carol would want to cheat on Coach Taylor for Friday Night Lights because he's so charming. Like this man could not understand what being a lesbian is. It doesn't matter how charming or how handsome a man is. Carol is a lesbian. This movie feels like that review come to life.

Saving: the other movie I DON'T LIKE

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Julianne Moore's character has so much sex with Mark Ruffalo that I'm appalled. It's so much the straight man's fantasy of having a chance with a lesbian no matter how long they've been married to their partner or identified as strictly a lesbian.

Sipping Kermit The Frog GIF

Harry Potter Part 1

The Angel

Paddington 

Paddington 2

Kubo and the Two Strings

How to Train Your Dragon

How to Train Your Dragon 2

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

A Separation

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Wild Tales