Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Spider-Man_Far_From_Home_poster.jpg

tumblr_pr35mzG0rK1shp9dyo1_500.gifv

Both Spider-Man movies are about the same to me. I don't think I like one more than the other and both are good films. But at this point there's no reason to have both films in the rankdown when much better films have been cut out pettiness. Far From Home is a 2019 superhero movie, the 23th film MCU film and the last one from Phase III, which is weird as they should have ended that phase with Endgame. The movie is also the sequel of Homecoming and the second one featuring Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The film follows Peter and his friends as they go on a school summer trip to Europe, while mystery creatures called the Elementals, start causing natural disasters and destructions. Along with the help of Nick Fury and Mysterio, Spider-Man tries to stop the menace and save the planet. The movie stars Tom Holland, Samuel L. Jackson, Jake Gyllenhaal ❤️, Zendaya ❤️, Cobie Smulders ❤️, Jon Favreau, J.B. Smoove, Jacob Batalon, Martin Starr and Marisa Tomei ❤️. Far From Home made an impressive $1.132 billons in the box office against a budget of $160M outperforming Homecoming by $300M and it currently stands as the 25th highest grossing film of all-time. Reception from the film was about the same as its predecessor with a 91% Tomatoscore and a 69 Metascore. I enjoyed the film but this is a fair spot for it. 

The rankers saved: Spider-Man: Homecoming

200573.gif

• Sad 1

tenor.gif?itemid=13398043

Vox Lux

Vox Lux is a Natalie Portman vehicle that is...interesting. She does great work, as she is a good actress who pretty much always does great work, but the movie is...interesting and the music is...not great. Which coming out around the same time as A Star is Born which, for all its faults, does have good and catchy music (particularly its main song), was damning for a film that's also supposed to be about the destructive nature of the music industry. At least the main song ("Wrapped Up") should display the talent that got Natalie Portman's character Celeste snatched up by the industry at such a young age and allows for the longevity of her career (she's still successful in 2017 at the age of 31 despite being discovered nearly 18 years prior). 

Anyway, the story is of Celeste who at 13 was a victim of a school shooting. She writes a song called "Wrapped Up" about the experience with her sister Ellie and immediately gets recognized and signed by a manager (not sure how it became so viral so quickly since this was in the year 2000/2001 before things like SoundCloud and Youtube). In the following two years she and Ellie get caught up in the cycle of partying which results in a one night stand with an older musician the night before the September 11th attacks and her falling pregnant. The film picks up 16 years later in 2017 where Celeste is now 31 and her erratic and destructive behaviour has not stalled at all. And this is really where the bulk of the film's message has taken place. 

Natalie Portman is good in this (though her accent is...interesting) and Stacy Martin as Ellie is also good. But it's a film that needs a better director to really get the most out of it. Imagine somebody like Spike Jonze or Ana Lily Amirpour or Lynne Ramsay directing this. 

39 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

did you see elliott's battle he posted?

Oooh yeah he nominated Mamma Mia and got that out? I forgot about that. 

30 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Ive been going after Furious 7 all game long.

Oooh lol this is true. :haha:   

14 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

when in doubt it's usually his own fault :haha:

Awww Elliott. :haha: 

2 hours ago, .Rei said:

To be honest I’m wasn’t planning on nominating Midsommar yet. Mamma Mia and one of the Spider-Man was my original plan to finally get rid of movies that I’ve nominated a lot before

:’(

I’d ask what you have against me but I already know!