Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

1 minute ago, Alex95 said:

@Deeee is next to nominate 18 films.

He will not be permitted to make a cut and writeup though so @1234567890 you will have to find another solution if you don't feel comfortable doing one.

I would gladly fill in to do a write-up for Victoria, if needed. ❤️ @1234567890 

• Like 1

@#jeah @.Rei @NGM @Elliott @Steven_ may PM me one movie to keep safe. I am making good on my word. I almost revoked Andy's for cutting The Last Jedi, Elliott for his horrid nominations, Nico for cutting The Shape of Water, and Rei for his horrid nominations, but I am so heartbroken today that I have no petty spirit in me. 💔 I will post noms after I receive those safety requests.

Edited by Deeee
I had just enough petty to edit this post and make sure Andy was not singled out unfairly.
  • Like 1

NOMINATIONS

The Help

Midnight in Paris

Close

Blue Jasmine

Patriots Day

Bombshell

Mary Queen of Scots

Rabbit Hole

Aquaman

A Ghost Story

Call Me By Your Name

The Lego Batman Movie

First Man

Sisters

Anna

Quartet

Sorry Angel

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

THE HELP

The Help is a white saviour period piece based off a novel of the same name that focuses on an aspiring journalist and her relationship with two black maids. Because This Is America™, the film was well received critically and commercially, ultimately grossing $216 million on a $25 million budget. Even more disgusting, the film skyrocketed to the top of the Netflix charts at the start of the George Floyd/Breonna Taylor protests! (Daily reminder that Breonna Taylor's killers still have not been arrested.) Viola Davis, one of the most talented actresses of our time who continuously gets shafted for roles, has repeatedly said she regrets starring in The Help, even stating she feels like she betrayed herself and "[her] people," while adding that the film was created in the filter and the cesspool of systemic racism that I'm sure is still just as prevalent in Hollywood nowadays. Bryce Dallas Howard has also mentioned that she would not make it today, adding that the movie was told through the perspective of a white character that was created by predominantly white storytellers. Additional cast members have since rightfully spoken out about their regret of this film, but it didn't stop y'all (except for Dee and Megan 😘) from letting it get to the Top 5 of the Viola Davis round! 🤮

SAVE: The Lego Batman Movie

tumblr_ou0ls0HS1B1w0uba1o1_500.gif

Call Me By Your Name

Let me get this out of the way in saying that Call Me By Your Name is one of the most beautiful films of the decade. And I mean that literally. Italy is gorgeous and the director Luca Guadagnino seems passionate about making sure that the aesthetics of the country are seen in this coming of age romance. But that really seems to be what he was most passionate about portraying because this 2 hour and 12 minute film is filled with a whole lot of nothing when it comes to the characters. The movie's empty script and empty shooting is elevated by the acting but for a coming-of-age romantic drama there sure is a startling lack of intimacy between Elio (Timothee Chalamet) and Oliver (Armie Hammer) because the director wants to make sure that aside from the purposely intimate shots of the two when they are engaging sexually, most of their interactions make sure to show the beautiful Italian scenery. A part of this is purposeful, Elio and Oliver bond over their intellectual hobbies. (In fact that seems to be the only thing they bond over. We never get a lot of background on them and their feelings otherwise.) 

I think my main issue with the movie though is that it's the story of a 24-year-old man engaging with a 17-year-old kid. The movie takes place in 1983 in Europe so I guess it's not as weird as it would be today. But still. (Also for a movie taking place in 1983 there is very little commentary about the developing relationship between the two and how it would be seen in society. Whether that be amongst the parents who are okay with it which is great but how do they arrive there or the household workers or just people amongst the town. There's not a lot of indication that they have to remain secretive etc). But it just looks weird because Timothee Chalamet looks very young and Armie Hammer looks like he's 30+ (and he was in The Social Network! We all know what he looked like at his early/mid-20s!). It's a borderline predatory relationship and it's very weird in 2020 to romanticize it so much.

TL;DR CMBYN is a 132 minute tourism add for Italy.

Saving: Aquaman.

Edited by totes4totes

Mary Queen of Scots

Mary_Queen_of_Scots.png

giphy.gif

Mary Queen of Scots is a 2018 historical drama based on the 2004 biography Queen of Scots: The True Life of Mary Stuart. The film is set in 1561, when Mary Stuart, returns to Scotland and reclaims her throne and menace the future of Queen Elizabeth I as ruler of England. The movie follows the war between the two queens for the throne until a final tragic fate is finally fulfilled. The movie made $46.4 M but wikipedia is not listing the budget for the films so I don't know if it was a success or not. The film stars Saoirse Ronan, Margot Robbie, Jack Lowden, Joe Alwyn, David Tennant and Guy Pearce. Reviews of the movie were mixed with some criticizing the historicity and sex scenes. The film has a Tomatoscore of 62% and a Metascore of 60. 

Saving Ghost Protocol

a3868d9430f54f8915f8346c74c3462d.gif

CLOSE (2019)

tenor.gif?itemid=13250749

How is this movie still in the rankdown? I liked Noomi Rapace in Prometheus, but there doesn't really seem to be anything else going for this movie and it was kinda panned critically. Must have slipped through the cracks and if anyone was trying to protect, it, well congrats. This is a 2019 action thriller movie starring Noomi Rapace as one of the world's leading female bodyguards. Her clients in the past have included JK Rowling, Nicole Kidman, and even members of the British royal family. The movie itself was made for Netflix and was released in 2019. It only received a 37% score on Rotten Tomatoes. I can see this being a movie with an interesting premise but with not enough substance to actually work as a movie. That seems to be the case based off the reviews. Out it goes from the rankdown! Sorry to any fans.

Saving: Blue Jasmine

tenor.gif?itemid=5057807