Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

The Shape of Water

I didn't expect to be the one cutting it (mostly bc I was the only one nominating it lmao), but hey, this also works. So story time: my work (pre-COVID) involves a lot of traveling, and since I didn't find the time to watch a lot of movies outside of weekends (and they have to compete with me wanting to watch tv shows, listening to music, going out, or just plaining not wanting to do anything), it became a really good way to just watch them on the airplane (either on my tablet or computer), since it was at least 8+ hrs of being completely disconnected from everyone that could distract me (on my day flights I could knock out 3-4 movies easy). Enter to the stage The Shape of Water, our 2018 Best Picture winner. I tried to watch this movie at least 10 times, and fell sleep every single time. At some point I started to use it for that very purpose, since I would always get bored. I did eventually finish it (not in a single sitting lmfao) and while I think it's really well made (it's stunning visually) the story throughly bored me to sleep. Hence my cut (and multiple nominations).

Just to add some info on the film, here  are some highlights:
- Directed by Guillermo del Toro and written by him and Vanessa Taylor
- Sally Hawkins does a great job portraying the central character
- Octavia Spencer is still a master at being funny in all her roles
- Got 13 Oscar noms, winning 4 (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Production Design, and Best Original Score). It also won awards at Venice, BAFTAs, Golden Globes, and many more

Save: Young Adult

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019 dir. by Quentin Tarantino)

leonardo dicaprio dancing GIF
brad pitt celery GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

These noms are straight garbage. Flaming hot garbage. This is a very overrated film in my opinion that only received the attention it did for being a Tarantino film, high-profile cast, and fantasy biographical element. None of which is deserved. I had to fight sleep when watching this movie. I also think Tarantino has way too much respect for Roman Polanski. I think Sharon Tate needs to be able to Rest In Peace. Charles Manson does not need to be glorified or portrayed in film in any manner. I did not understand the universal acclaim, the award nominations and wins, nor the point of this movie that is supposed to pay tribute to the final days of Hollywood’s Golden Age through multiple changing storylines. I am busy right now so I cannot give this a proper send-off, but I will come back and write far more later. For now though, I am saving one of the most important films in quite some time and cutting a mediocre film that was over glorified just by name alone.

SAVING: Roma
Edited by Deeee

44 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

cue "no one asked me to save it" / "i haven't seen it 🤷‍♂️" / "i didn't realize anyone cared" / "it's overrated" / "someone in the cast is cancelled" / etc.

I honoured everyone who sent me safety requests 🤷‍♂️

Crawl (2019 dir. by Alexandre Aja)

search coming GIF by The Crawl Movie

Crawl is way better than expected. Like better than it had any right to be! Funnily enough, Quentin Tarantino called this movie his favorite film of 2019. This disaster horror flick is set in Florida, and follows Haley Keller and Dave Keller as they fight against alligators that have trapped the pair in their house during the middle of a Category 5 hurricane.

Kaya Scodelario and Barry Pepper portray the two main characters. The filming of the movie was incredibly brutal and long, but the cast seemed to love the experience. Given everything that happens in the movie, you can tell the cast was put through the ringer to achieve the end-product.

The film released to extremely positive reviews, with critics praising the performance of Kaya Scodelario. She really is utterly believable and engaging the entire way through the film. You really take a harrowing journey with her character, which is proof of her incredible performance in this movie. A super fun throwback man vs. beast film, a bloody adventure, and such a good time!

Not an ideal cut, but a respectable finish. The rest of the nominees are super solid, so this just seemed like a logical decision to make. I also wanted to give it a respectable write-up.

Everybody should give this a watch!

SAVING: Girls Trip
Edited by Deeee

CHEF (2014)

Q4w.gif

I hope this gif is actually from the movie, lmao. Google searching "Chef movie gif" probably gives a lot of options that aren't related to the 2014 movie whatsoever :haha: I remember seeing this with my roommate back in college and thinking it was alright. It has quite a crazy cast...Jon Favreau wrote and starred in this movie alongside Sofia Vergara, Scarlett Johansson, Bobby Cannavale, Dustin Hoffman, etc. It's about a chef who loses his job at a big LA restaurant after an incident with a food critic. Afterwards, he starts and operates his own food truck with his son and finds success in that. Released in 2014, it was made on an $11 million budget and grossed a respectable $46 million at the box office. I remember thinking it was cute and entertaining, but not particularly groundbreaking or memorable. I would recommend it if you're bored and need something to pass the time!

Saving: Inherent Vice

RAW

Raw_(film).png

Raw is described as a French horror drama film released in 2016. The film is about a veterinarian student named Justine. She has been a vegetarian her whole life, but she is forced to eat raw meat during a hazing ritual. At first she is disgusted, but then she develops a craving for meat that leads to her wanting to eat human flesh. Yikes, this doesn’t sound like a film I would want to see, even though it did get good reviews. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 91% approval rating. The site also says "Raw's lurid violence and sexuality live up to its title, but they're anchored with an immersive atmosphere and deep symbolism that linger long after the provocative visuals fade.” However, the film was also met with controversy due to its graphic content. Anyway, sorry to any fans, but out goes Raw from the rankdown.

And I’m saving My Life As A Zucchini.

tumblr_pl1knu5Wa31s61ireo3_500.gifv

Edited by Steven_

tumblr_o7lx176iCh1uc850po1_540.gif

Inspired by Jane Austen's "Lady Susan", Love & Friendship is a period comedy released in 2016 - it starred Kate Beckinsale, Chloë Sevigny, Xavier Samuel, and Emma Greenwell. The movie takes place in 1790s where it follows Lady Susan who is recently widowed - she is on a quest to find a wealthy husband for herself as one for her husband. I have never watched the movie nor heard of it until no, but watching the trailer - it seems that it has potential and I would like to eventually watch it. Anyway, the movie was critically acclaimed but this is not enough for it to be saved at this point in the rankdown.

SAVING: INCENDIES