Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

logo_1531420664.png

source.gif

Directed by Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman is a biographical black comedy released in 2018 - it was also wrriten by Spike Lee along with Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, and Kevin Willmott. The movie was based on the memoir by Ron Stallworth known as Black Klansman.  The cast of this critically acclaimed movie includes the like of John David Washington, Adam Driver, Laura Harrier, and Topher Grace. 

In this movie, we are brought back to the 1970s in Colorado Springs, Coloarado. In the said city, we follow the life of Ron Stallworth as he is hired as the first back office in the police department. His primary job is to work in the records rooms but he was not too pleased with the positition, he asks to be an undercover cop - he is assigned to go to local rally where Kwama Ture is giving a speech. Following the rally, he starts reading about a local division of the KKK - he speaks to the president of the chapter by posing white, but did not realize that he used his real name as well meeting the members. In order to protect himself, he recruits one of his coworker to act like him & meet the KKK members while posing as a white individual over the phone.  As the conversations continues, he is taking steps to have a membership & his coworker is starting to have issues as the members are starting to figure out part of his identity. When the inituation of his colleague acting like Stallworth is initiated in the Klan,  one of the wife of a member is planning to place a bomb at a civil rights ally which is noticed by Stallworth - the police plan at the rally makes the wife change her plan & plant it at the house of woman named Patrice whom is a president of Black Student Union at the university; She's also the woman that Stallworth is seeing while keeping his identity a secret. Stallworth tackles the wife as she tries to flees but he is detain & beat by uninformed officers despite telling them he is undercover.  Eventually, Stallworth is freed and the individual who planted the bomb is arrested while the arrest of another officers for police brutality which is a matter that we still notice around us in 2020. 

Overall, the movie was well received by critics and audience alike - they received many nominations at different awards including Adapted Screenplay which they won at the Academy Award. As a whole, the movie is a good movie & it's a movie that's very pertinent especially in 2018 as it was released.  But personally speaking, I did enjoy the movie but it never been a favourite of mine which is why I've been nominating it in the past few rounds as we are reaching the end of the rankdown. 

SAVING: SPOTLIGHT

ANIMAL KINGDOM (2010)

tumblr_om4rc2UNEY1vjdt8po3_r1_500.gif

For a movie that has been nominated 483925074305493 times and somehow survived every time, this seems like a fair spot for Animal Kingdom to peace. Plus I love a lot of movies that were up this round so my options are really limited. Animal Kingdom is a 2010 Australian crime drama film about a 17 year old boy who is taken in by his extended family after his mother dies of a drug overdose. The ringleader of sorts is the grandmother, played by Jacki Weaver, who serves as the matriarch of sorts of the family. The twist is they are involved in many criminal schemes and activities. So you can imagine the movie sorta writes itself after hearing all of that backstory, lol. The movie also stars Joel Edgerton, Guy Pearce, Ben Mendelsohn, and others. It was critically acclaimed and Jacki Weaver in particular received heaps of praise for her role in the movie, including an Oscar nom. This looks really good! I will definitely have to watch.

Save: Disobedience

BPM

120_battements_par_minute.png

I was going to do a write-up later, but I might as well get it out of the way now. BPM (Beats per Minute), also known as 120 BPM (Beats per Minute) is a French drama released in 2017. The story centers around AIDS activism in France during the 90s. The screenwriters wrote from their own personal experiences while developing the story. Although the government claims to support those suffering from the virus, there are protests due to the government not taking it seriously enough. There is also a love story between an HIV negative man named Nathan and an HIV positive man named Sean. The film ends with Nathan euthanizing Sean. As for reviews of the film, critics liked it. It had an approval rating of 98% on Rotten Tomatoes. The site also says, “Moving without resorting to melodrama, BPM offers an engrossing look at a pivotal period in history that lingers long after the closing credits roll.” I haven’t heard of this film before, which is why I chose to cut it from the remaining nominees. Apologies to any fans for its elimination.

Saving Inception.

2fd04639ea82d9bcdb76b3cf4e91c806.gif

Edited by Steven_

Blade Runner 2049

Blade_Runner_2049_poster.png

It was a part of my previous nominations, so yeah, imo it’s about time it goes out. Released in 2017 and directed by Denis Villeneuve, this is a science fiction movie that acts as a sequel to the 1982 film, Blade Runner.

The movie has a pretty large cast with Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford in starring performances, with Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis, Carla Juri, Lennie James, Dave Bautista, and Jared Leto in supporting roles. The movie was well received, especially for the technical side, winning 2 Oscars. Anyway, good job to its fans for getting it this far.

Save: Whiplash

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

Top 10 of 2018

Annihilation

1f9c8d81cca0df1ffbef4d76ee317da198217399.gifv

BlacKkKlansman

tumblr_psp8zbcK6x1wrwxc3o7_540.gifv

Crazy Rich Asians

dbaabcdf28fbb18d48fe373ec1e609d65c7330c5.gifv

Disobedience

c0c568cd67faeed4424fa2689e0a2e7171c6e720.gifv

Eighth Grade