Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

NOW YOU SEE ME (2013)

SilentSeparateFish-size_restricted.gif

Can I just say "meh" 100 times and that count as my write-up? I was quite indifferent towards this movie after watching it. It has a really fun cast (Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Common, Isla Fisher, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Alison Brie's husband, Woody Harrelson etc), and I would go as far as to call it entertaining, but that's about the only praise I can muster up for the movie itself. It revolves around the story of these magicians who pull of these incredible bank heists and award the money to their audiences. The FBI is trying to fabricate evidence to catch them in the act and arrest them. Interesting enough concept, and fun to watch. But tbh the movie is kind of hard to follow and there are a ton of plot holes that by the time it's over I remember being just as confused as when it began. And I'm not sure why they felt the need to make a second one! Overall, good spot for this movie in the rankdown.

Saving: Ma strictly because of Octavia Spencer

2 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Has anyone actually seen Ma and would you recommend it? :dead: 

I have and would recommend it as a fun way to pass some time. Octavia Spencer is of course great in the role, even if the movie is predictable and not very good. 

J. Edgar

I don't really care about any of the movies remaining, so just grabbed the first 2 and slapped cut/save on them. This is my new randomizer method (until I get bored and think of something new). J. Edgar is a drama movie based on the career of FBI director J. Edgar Hoover. The movie stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, Josh Lucas, and Judi Dench. Among random things I learned rn is that this was Adam Driver's first acting role, so nice for him (and that he went on to do better things lol, but that goes for almost everyone in this film). The reception was mixed (duh, there is a reason why Rei was able to nominate it), but there was a praise (and some noms) for the performances. Anyway,bye!

Save: Immortals

To the Wonder

220px-To_The_Wonder_US_Theatrical_Releas

I am just going to assume this movie is Oscar bait. Which more often than not, I have little interest in. This came out in 2012. Wiki classifies it as a "experimental romantic drama." Can someone please enlighten me as to what that even means? 

Let's see. Two people call in love in Paris. They attempt to keep this romance alive when returning to the States. To the surprise of absolutely nobody, their romance cools. They even bring the woman's daughter with them. How dumb can these characters possibly be? I digress. The relationship flops. 

uE0X2xo.gif

A priest gets involved. A childhood friend gets involved. I don't care. I will probably never watch this movie. Sorry to any potential fans. You probably hate this write up. 

Saving Love and Other Drugs because why not

The To Do List

todolist.gif?format=1500w

So I've waited long enough for people to get their cut / saves in since I was waiting because I am not familiar with these movies and I didn't want to cut a favorite of someones. The To Do List is an American romantic comedy film released in 2013. The film was written and directed by Maggie Carey in her feature film directorial debut. The film stars a few people I recognize actually like Aubrey Plaza, Johnny Simmons, Bill Hader, Scott Porter, Alia Shawkat, Sarah Steele and Rachel Bilson. Aubrey, Bill and Rachel are the people I recognize. Glad to see Rachel Bilson aka Summer Robers from The O.C. get some work. The film follows Brandy Klark played by Aubrey Plaza who is a recent high school graduate who feels she needs to have more sexual experiences before she starts college. She decides that her end-of-summer goal will be to have sex with Rusty to complete her "To Do List". The film was distrubuted by CBS Films and received mixed reviews. The film has a 54% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. All of the movies Rei nominated are not very good so they can all go. Unfortunately, I can only cut one.

Save: Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

giphy.gif

The Grand Seduction

The Grand Seduction is a Canadian comedy film starring Taylor Kitsch AKA TIM RIGGINS. Wow, almost changed my cut/save based on that but I will persist because I've not really heard of this movie. It is a remake of a French-Canadian film La Grande Séduction. The movie also stars Brenden Gleeson who is a good actor and then a crop of people I'd struggle to place just given their names and it's 11:34PM so you bet I'm not looking them up. My cat just joined me in bed. Signaling either she's mad at me or that it's bedtime. Probably both! But back to this movie. The Wikipedia page doesn't give a short summary so I'm going to read it to summarize it. The work I do for this write-up. Only for TIM RIGGINS. Okay. I read it. You can't tell but I went away for about 2 minutes to read it and I'm glad I'm cutting it. The movie is about "seducing" a doctor to come live in the Newfoundland and Labrador town of Tickle Head so a petrochemical company can build a plant there. That seems stupid. "Oh ho ho, who gives a sh*t about the environment and certainly the long term effects on the health of the community! Let's build a factory!" This is a movie that came out in 2013! Based on a movie that came out in 2003! Like. We've all seen Erin Brokovich by this point! Nature good, factories bad!

Saving: I Smile Back