Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Weekend (2011 dir. by Andrew Haigh)

AZ4z.gif

One of the few remaining films left that I simply have not seen. This is nothing personal. Just an easy cut for me to make, especially since I wanted to save Bridesmaids as quickly as possible. The film stars Tom Cullen and Chris New as the main characters of Russell and Glen, two men that meet and begin a sexual relationship the weekend before Glen is leaving for Oregon. This is important because the film takes place in Nottingham. 

The film premiered at SXSW Film Festival and quickly won critical acclaim. 95% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating of 8.0/10. On Metacritic, the film holds a score of 81/100. The film was praised for its naturalistic style, the subtlety and sensitivity of the film, and the exploration of modern sexuality. The film received a lot of awards attention on the smaller film festival circuits.

Apparently, most of the British movie theaters are owned by the Catholic church. Being a British-made film, this resulted in about 1,100 theaters banning this film from release, reducing the film to be played in only about 10 British theaters total. Because the church hates the community of course. Anyways. This is a very respectable spot for this film, considering how small in its scale it is.

SAVING: Bridesmaids

INGRID GOES WEST

MV5BNzE3Mzc5NTc4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDYwNzM3MjI@._V1_.jpg

Ingrid Goes West is a 2017 black comedy drama film starring Aubrey Plaza. The story is about a mentally unstable woman named Ingrid who becomes obsessed with a social media influencer named Taylor (played by Elizabeth Olsen). Ingrid comes across her on Instagram, and she decides to move to Los Angeles to become friends with her. She manages to start a friendship with Taylor after kidnapping her dog and returning her dog back after Taylor put up “lost dog” posters. However, as expected, things becomes complicated due to Ingrid’s deceit. I haven’t heard of this movie before, but it seems like it could be worth watching. As for what the critics thought, Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 86% approval rating and says, “Led by strong performances from Aubrey Plaza and Elizabeth Olsen, Ingrid Goes West delivers smart, topical humor underlined by timely social observations.” Sorry to any fans, but out Ingrid goes from the rankdown.

And I’m saving Pokémon Detective Pikachu.

giphy.gif

4f17e13efda8b2909e2369541dafe4a76a4680cb

Inherent Vice

A just all right movie for Paul Thomas Anderson who has far better films (Boogie Nights, The Master, Punch Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood, and Phantom Thread). But this is kind of right up his alley as a period neo-noir piece that takes place in the 70s. Based on a novel by Thomas Pynchon, the film follows Joaquin Phoenix's character who is an inept stoner PI who is investigating three interrelated cases involving his ex-girlfriend (Katherine Waterson) and her new wealthy boyfriend (Eric Roberts). The film also stars Josh Brolin as a Lt. Detective who ends up working with Joaquin Phoenix. The movie received high praise for the performances of Phoenix, Brolin, and Waterson, but its complicated plot was often times found to be frustrating to watch. It did make a lot of "Best of" lists as the year ended but again, I find that Paul Thomas Anderson just has better outputs even in the past decade. It's an interesting film to watch but I think it's about run its course in this rankdown.

Saving: Obvious Child

TYRANNOSAUR

Tyrannosaur_poster.jpg

I've never seen this movie. (#shocker) According to Wikipedia, Tyrannosaur is a 2011 drama film from Britain that was written and directed by Paddy Considine. It tells the story of Joseph, who is a man plagued by violence and a rage that is driving him towards self-destruction, as he earns a chance of redemption that appears in the form of Hannah, a Christian charity shop worker. Unlike Weekend (posted above), this British drama doesn't sound like my type of thing so I won't be seeking it out! The film stars Peter Mullan, Olivia Colman, Eddie Marsan, Paul Popplewell and Sally Carman. It has a running time of 92 minutes, and only made £397,000 at the box office on a budget of £750,000. It currently has an 83% at Rotten Tomatoes, which I assume means it's good. But Rotten Tomatoes also hates Rob Zombie's output, so I don't trust it.

SAVE: Captain America: Civil War

SKYFALL (2012)

CorruptFirmGentoopenguin-size_restricted

Why did I think this was released in the 00's decade :dead: It's been in this game this whole time and I didn't even realize it, lmao. I guess Adele did win the Oscar for Skyfall after 21 came out so I should have known this. I digress....Skyfall is another film in the James Bond franchise with Daniel Craig playing Bond. It's definitely one of the better Bond movies that I've seen, with fantastic performances from both Judi Dench and Javier Bardem as the villain (he always plays the best bad guys). This movie grossed over $1 billion at the box office which puts it in a really elite club of movies. It's really well done imo, and the critics agree giving this a 92% RT score. I'm just #pressed at this set of nominations so I'm choosing to cut one of the bigger films here. Sorry to any fans!

Saving: The Impossible

Chronicle

Chronicle_Film_Poster.jpg

tumblr_mfwg4sd5VY1qg4blro1_500.gif

Chronicle is a 2012 found footage science fiction drama film directed by Josh Trank. The film follows three high school students as they make discover that leads them to gain telekinetic powers. As they began to control their abilities and use them to their advantage, their lives start to spin out of control and things becomes dark. The cast of the film included: Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell, Michael B. Jordan, Michael Kelly, Ashley Hinshaw, Anna Wood and Bo Petersen. The movie made $126M in the box office against a budget of $12M which makes the film a success. The film received great reviews with critics praising the script, the fast-paced and the performance of the young cast. RT of 85% and MS of 69/100. I actually think that I've watched this film but I'm not compeletely sure, my memory is a bit fussy. But if it is the one I saw I believed I enjoyed it.

Saving: Animal Kingdom

tumblr_inline_o81olpu61B1rv5k1y_500.gif

Grandma

Grandma_still.jpg

Doing this while at work so apologies in advance. Released in 2015, the film stars Lily Tomlin and Julia Garner, who play a grandma/granddaughter duo that embark on quest of raising money to get money for an abortion (if this doesn't make it obvious this is a comedy/drama film, nothing will), asking people that Elle knows to get the money for it. The movie was written, directed and produced by Paul Weitz, and premiered at Sundance, where it got good reviews. It also had solid commercial success (for an independent film made on 600k) and got Tomlin a Golden Globe nom for her role as Elle (the grandma). Anyway, that's it.

Save: Gloria

Edited by NGM