NICO: 10

DENISE: 13

VICTORIA: 16

CHRIS: 17

ALEX: 21

PUBLIC: 21

DEE

ImaginativeThornyHornedtoad-small.gif

Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class.

My second favorite movie of all-time debuts the greatest silent star ever. WALL-E. The cutest robot you have ever seen. A robot that develops a glitch after hundreds of years of solitude and never-ending work: Sentience. Consciousness. Feeling. He is the last remaining robot of his kind, working towards a sustainable Earth, unaware that his efforts are futile. He collects trinkets and makes a home for himself. His greatest treasure is his copy of "Hello, Dolly!" which he watches longingly, learning how to convey love from the film. There is a yearning, a loneliness underneath his unpolished surface. WALL-E wants somebody to love. He wants a companion.

So the arrival of EVE completely turns his world upside down. WALL-E becomes fascinated, invigorated, and enamored by her. All WALL-E wants to do is hold her hand, like he was taught to do by his favorite movie. He is in love. Now, he serves a bigger purpose. His mission instantly shifts from his menial task of picking up trash to impressing EVE. He fails constantly, receiving only hostile reactions from EVE. But he refuses to give up. He had never given up on his menial tasks before, but now his work was infused with true commitment, highlighting that life can only truly start when you love something or somebody. WALL-E protects her from a sandstorm. He shares with EVE his treasured plant. He continues to take her on dates, even when her programming is switched to standby mode. Love overrode his directives. I find that beyond powerful.

WALL-E even follows her into outer space! The scene where he interacts with stardust, in awe of the world outside of his own experience, is a cinematic treat. WALL-E destroys the diagnostics robot when he fears that EVE is being hurt, freeing all other malfunctioning robots. Why? Because WALL-E stands for much more than romance. He highlights the mundane and passionless nature of the work that is thrust upon the working class. He symbolically cares about everything that is discarded and thrown away without a care for how this impacts our world. WALL-E is teaching us about classism, environmentalism, and romance all at the same time.

All without uttering a single word other than "EVE." WALL-E saving the plant for EVE is highly symbolic. He chooses life, love, and passion. He fights to keep the world alive. His space dance with EVE after doing so is just another cinematic masterpiece.

What really gets me is how his love and dedication to EVE awakened in her the same feelings. WALL-E and his selfless dedication to her, the plant, and a life better than what they know changes the course for other robots, and humans as well.

Remember. WALL-E makes you feel all of this without uttering more than one, single word. That is a character unlike any other. I was so worried for WALL-E this whole game, and cutting deals for his protection worked out! I am curious to see where he ranks. I imagine not too high, but at least he is a finalist. And deservedly so. 🤎

KALEY

200.gif

Oh, WALL-E… I don’t anticipate WALL-E getting a very high overall placement, but he will definitely get one from me. I mentioned earlier that going to see WALL-E in theaters was one of the first dates I went on with my now-husband, so this movie will always touch my heart. The movie itself is definitely something special, and every time I watch it I’m always reminded of how much I really do adore it.

WALL-E himself is a robot (more specifically, a Waste Allocation Load Lifter: Earth Class) sent to the wasteland that used to be Earth with the sole task of compacting the trash left behind. He’s been there for quite sometime, and while he enjoys his work, he is also easily distracted and curious about the items he finds in his travels. He even has a stash of some of his favorite items that he keeps at home. His favorite item is a VHS tape of Hello, Dolly!. One day, a fancy robot named EVE (or Extraterrestrial Vegetiation Evaluator) is placed on the planet with him to see if there’s any chance that the Earth is inhabitable again. As the two begin to bond, WALL-E shows her one of his newest finds, a small plant. This sends her into standby mode, much to WALL-E’s heartbreak. When the ship returns to take EVE back, WALL-E manages to tag along as well. They wind up on the Axiom where Earth’s former residents have sadly become large and lazy shells of their former selves, completely dependent on machinery. The arrival of WALL-E and EVE shakes up the status quo of the Axiom, and starts to have the ship’s captain wanting to go back to Earth and the way things were before. After defeating the ship’s stubborn autopilot that was given a no-return directive, Captain McCrea finally takes control of his ship and works on taking his people back to Earth. WALL-E and EVE, along with the former passengers of the Axiom work together to restore Earth to what it once was.

WALL-E is a character of very few words (“WALL-E” and “EVE” pretty much makes up the majority of his vocabulary)… But somehow his character and personality really come through, and make him such an amazing and loveable character.

DEREK

220px-WALL-Eposter.jpg

From the movie WALL-E (2008)

220px-Ben_Burtt_Celebration_Europe_II_(C

Voiced by Ben Burtt (b. 1948)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Burtt

An absolutely legendary sound designer in the industry and in pop culture

4-time Academy Award winner, nominated 8 other times I think

Did the sound for Star Wars series, Indiana Jones series, and E.T.

From Wiki: "Burtt is notable for popularizing the Wilhelm scream in-joke and creating many of the iconic sound effects heard in the Star Wars film franchise, including the 'voice' of R2-D2, the lightsaber hum, the sound of the blaster guns, the heavy-breathing sound of Darth Vader and creating the Ewoks’ language, ewokese. Burtt was also the sound editor for WALL-E and performed the vocalizations of the titular character as well as other robots in the film [including M-O]."

WALL-E is one of the most lovable Disney characters, and is from one of the best movies Disney has ever produced. WALL-E is a lowly trash compactor robot left on earth - Waste Allocation Load-Lifter: Earth Class - who just continues doing his compacting work with no one to keep him company except a friendly roach buddy. He collects objects, watches TV, and just generally tries to do his best and enjoy life's wonders. He is propelled into a grand adventure when another robot, EVE, comes to earth and makes a discovery. Has Wally seen this movie yet? Wtf. How many spoilers are we allowed to post? He's the only one who reads these write-ups anyway. Go watch the movie, Wally. It's so good.

I vaguely remember someone saying that they don't consider the characters from WALL-E to be very distinct, so I don't expect him to rank high in the game. But I disagree and have no problem ranking him here. Love this movie, love this character, love everything about it.

MEGAN

tenor.gif?itemid=13616438

Somebody said a while ago (Nico? Alex?) that WALL-E was a great movie but it wasn't a great movie for the characters. And I'm going to say that I think I disagree with that. I think that the movie is very much driven by Wall-E and that we see a lot of the world through WALL-E's eyes and experiences. But I can see where they are coming from because Wall-E is unique in that the main characters all do not talk. Which I think makes the movie and the character of Wall-E that much more impressive because so much is conveyed through the animation. I've never really thought that Pixar movies were the best animated movie of the year (because their animation never is really the best, but I'm heavily biased for 2D animated movies) but I think WALL-E is one of the exceptions (the other would likely be Coco). The amount of character and expression the animators put into WALL-E should be commended.

tumblr_n1bkp509OE1tsa1opo1_500.gif

Despite the fact that WALL-E doesn't talk we know he's kind of awkward and curious. And he's lonely. He's been by himself for 700 years following his one directive. But we know that he wants to connect with other beings. And we know that by how quickly he latches onto EVE. He's friendly and determined and is willing to abandon everything he knows to chase after something he's never known.

giphy.gif

But it's WALL-E's desire to connect with somebody else after being alone for so long that I think makes him so relatable. I think the hardest thing for a lot of people in quarantine was that on top of every other awful thing we couldn't face to face connect with so many people. Even now we are so limited. Anyway, I love this little robot.

NICO

The little robot that literally smacked us in the face with the awful job we are still doing at taking care of the planet but literally nothing has changed? We truly deserve to die. But beyond that, I love the quasi-silent element to his story, and his relationship to EVE is so pure, just another reason why Pixar >>> Disney (they are the same now but who cares?). If robots are bound to replace us please do it soon I can’t wait for an army of WALL-E’s taking over everything (lbr we are gonna get by a Terminator-like reality but let me wish). This little guy had so much heart, and deserves a good placement.

DENISE

u2IiGUv.gif

WALL-E, aka Waste Allocation Load Lifter: Earth-Class, is so cute. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif He really is the sweetest and friendliest little guy. Although he's "destined" to pick up garbage, the glitch he develops from being alone for so long lends him his own personality. I love his curious nature and how he builds up his collection of things he finds, while still doing his best to obey orders. He really has the best intentions and such a lovable heart. The poor guy is so lonely, but remains as friendly as ever to fix that. While the movie WALL-E is not one of my big favorites, I do really like him as a character and think he's precious.

VICTORIA

200.gif

WALL·E is a very cute robot. He is titular protagonist of the Disney/Pixar's WALL·E. He was introduced in 2008. I loved his relationship with EVE.

CHRIS

U7Qj.gif

Wall-E is an incredible movie, and it is hard to not love Wall-E in the movie. Unfortunately, I cannot find myself having him any higher than this as I don't consider him a top favourite & I feel he may be a threat considering how long Eve stayed in the rankdown despite constantly being nominated. Congrats to the fans of the movie for bringing him here!

ALEX

I hate bullsh*tting writeups but work's crazy busy and I was just on vacation. If I was in the Disney Movie Rankdown, I would write a lot more about how I love the movie. I don't think its strength is in its characters, but that's perfectly okay not every movie has to be! But since this is a character rankdown, I gotta rank WALL-E here just because I think he's outmatched by the much stronger characters I'm ranking above him.

Alex

1. Yzma

3. Cruella de Vil

5. Elastigirl

6. Scar

7. Quasimodo

8. Mike Wazowski

13. Jasmine

14. Simba

15. Buzz Lightyear

16. Miguel Rivera

17. Russell 

19. Moana

20. Jack Skellington

21. Wall-E

22. Alice

24. Ariel

25. The Beast

Chris

6. Buzz Lightyear

8. The Beast

10. Ariel

11. Jasmine

12. Moana

13. Simba

14. Quasimodo

15. Mike Wazowski

16. Russell 

17. Wall-E

19. Jack Skellington

20. Miguel Rivera

21. Scar

22. Cruella de Vil

23. Alice

24. Elastigirl

25. Yzma

Dee

1. Jack Skellington

2. Wall-E

3. Yzma

4. Miguel Rivera

5. Elastigirl

6. Russell 

9. Quasimodo

10. Buzz Lightyear

13. Mike Wazowski

14. Scar

15. Cruella de Vil

19. Jasmine

20. Alice

21. Simba

22. Ariel

24. Moana

25. The Beast

Denise

1. Moana

3. Simba

4. Ariel

5. Alice

6. Buzz Lightyear

9. Jasmine

12. Elastigirl

13. Wall-E

15. Quasimodo

16. Miguel Rivera

18. Jack Skellington

19. The Beast

20. Russell 

22. Scar

23. Mike Wazowski

24. Cruella de Vil

25. Yzma

Derek

1. Scar

3. Yzma

4. Russell 

6. Wall-E

9. Elastigirl

10. Cruella de Vil

11. Ariel

12. The Beast

15.  Mike Wazowski

16. Miguel Rivera

17. Simba

19. Moana

20. Alice

21. Quasimodo

22. Jasmine

23. Buzz Lightyear

25. Jack Skellington

Kaley

2. Alice

5. Wall-E

6. Cruella de Vil

10. Miguel Rivera

12. Scar

13. Ariel

14. Yzma

15. Jack Skellington

17. The Beast

18. Buzz Lightyear

19. Simba

20. Quasimodo

21. Jasmine

22. Russell 

23. Moana

24. Mike Wazowski

25. Elastigirl

Megan

4. Elastigirl

8. Moana

9. Wall-E

10. Miguel Rivera

11. Russell 

12. The Beast

13. Yzma

14. Buzz Lightyear

15. Jack Skellington

17. Cruella de Vil

18. Ariel

19. Mike Wazowski

20. Jasmine

22. Simba

23. Scar

24. Quasimodo

25. Alice

Nico

2. Yzma

3. Elastigirl

6. Miguel Rivera

7. Scar

8. Cruella de Vil

10. Wall-E

11. Quasimodo

12. Buzz Lightyear

14. Alice

15. Mike Wazowski

18. Moana

19. Russell 

20. Simba

21. Ariel

22. Jack Skellington

23. Jasmine

24. The Beast

Victoria

2. The Beast

3. Simba

4. Ariel

5. Jasmine

7. Buzz Lightyear

11. Mike Wazowski

12. Alice

13. Scar

14. Russell 

16. Wall-E

17. Yzma

18. Moana

19. Cruella de Vil

20. Miguel Rivera

22. Jack Skellington

23. Quasimodo

24. Elastigirl

Public

1. Ariel

3. Jasmine

5. Alice

8. Simba

9. Moana

13. The Beast

14. Elastigirl

16. Quasimodo

17. Buzz Lightyear

18. Mike Wazowski

19. Jack Skellington

20. Cruella de Vil

21. Wall-E

22. Yzma

23. Russell 

24. Scar

25. Miguel Rivera

25. Jack Skellington - 17.6

24. Mike Wazowski - 16.1

23. Quasimodo - 16.0

22. The Beast - 15.7

21. Russell - 15.2

20. Moana - 15.1 

19. Alice - 14.8

18. Jasmine - 14.6

17. Cruella de Vil - 14.4

16. Scar - 14.3

15. Miguel Rivera - 14.3

14. Simba - 14.0

13. Buzz Lightyear - 12.8

12. Ariel - 12.8

11. Elastigirl - 12.5

10. Yzma - 12.5

9. Wall-E - 12.0

6 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

vaguely remember someone saying that they don't consider the characters from WALL-E to be very distinct, so I don't expect him to rank high in the game. But I disagree and have no problem ranking him here.

LOL Derek ending his write-up essentially the same way I began mine!!!!

• Like 1

Wallace update:

1. Jasmine (Aladdin) - QUEEN #1
  3. Simba (The Lion King) - ICON #3
  4. Alice (Alice in Wonderland) - Love her #4
  5. Buzz Lightyear (Toy Story) - Icon #5
  9. Moana (Moana) - Powerful & adorable #9
  10. Ariel (The Little Mermaid) - Very pretty #10
  13. Mike Wazowski (Monsters, Inc.) - Fun #13
  14. Elastigirl (The Incredibles) - Cool #14
  16. Quasimodo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) - Like him #16
  18. Beast (Beauty and the Beast) - Like #18
  19. Yzma (The Emperor's New Groove) - Interesting #19
  20. Scar (The Lion King) - Great villain but not a fan #20
  21. WALL·E (WALL·E) - Don’t know but cute #21
  22. Russell (Up) - Don’t know #22
  23. Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmatians) - Not a fan #23
  24. Jack Skellington (The Nightmare Before Christmas) - don’t know #24
  25. Miguel Rivera (Coco) - don’t know #25
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Steven_ said:
  • WALL·E (WALL·E) - Don’t know but cute #21
  • Russell (Up) - Don’t know #22
  • Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmatians) - Not a fan #23
  • Jack Skellington (The Nightmare Before Christmas) - don’t know #24
  • Miguel Rivera (Coco) - don’t know #25

Poor Cruella who is the only one Wall-E knows that gets ranked lower than characters he doesn't know.

Watch Pixar movies Wally!