The X Factor Rankdown

Posted (edited)

18. ALEX & SIERRA
X FACTOR USA (SEASON 3) // WINNER

alex-and-sierra-finale.png b70bc11b04d38dceee35a3b9323c51c1.webp#b70bc11b04d38dceee35a3b9323c51c1

AVERAGE: 12.3

----------------------
RANKINGS:
Public - 7/20

JC - 7/20

Victoria - 9/20

Steven - 9/20

Nico - 10/20

Tom - 13/20

Elliott - 14/20

Zoey - 16/20

Solaris - 19/20

Wallace - 19/20

----------------------

CHRIS:

1a3790a767607ad7f501046d5e43c8fd.gif

Alex & Sierra truly had luck on their side to find their way into the Top 20, I'm not sure that it would have been the case otherwise. And I am not complaining as they are easily my favourite contestants from the XFactor US series. My love for them started during their audition with their interesting take on Britney Spears' "Toxic" which was followed by "You're The One I Want" - I absolutely love their harmonies and their tone, and they constantly found a way to showcase it throughout the competition. Some of my favourite performances of theirs includes my favourite Ed Sheeran's song aka "Give Me Love", their take on "Say My Name",  their outstanding performance of "Say Something" and their flawless delivery of Sara Bareilles' "Gravity" - these performances are also some of the best performances deliver on the entire USA franchise.  Honestly, there's no wonder why they dominated the votes week after week, especially with performances like the one mentioned. 

While they are no longer together, I am pleased that they were able to provide the fans with two albums - one of them being called "As Seen on TV" and their debut album, "It's About Us", which was quite strong for a debut album with quite a few standout songs. 

Overall, not surprised that they are landing at #18 despite a good spot on the public ranking - considering some rankers wanted all of the US acts gone & not in the Top 20, this is a huge victory for them. 

JC:

Oh yes, my favorite co-ed group. I enjoyed you on your season of X Factor US and I remember rooting for you to make it far or even win. I remember you guys being great together although you are not one of my ultimate faves. Other than Shayne because I had to place him so low, you are the first member of my countdown showing up with a male! There really were barely any males in this Top 20 which is so disappointing, but also not unexpected from IDF. Anyways, you guys made it automatically since I had to move and Chris used randomizer so you guys got lucky and Joe McElderry got robbed. But it is not your fault since I would still have you making it over many of the undeserving females in this Top 20. But congrats on Top 20, and probably winning as the final act from X Factor US!

VICTORIA:

tumblr_muhdg1j5jX1s07ow9o1_250.gif

The boyfriend and girlfriend of The X Factor USA, Alex & Sierra. Alex Kinsey and Sierra Deaton! ❤️ Alex is a damn snack and a half and Sierra is so cute and precious. I love how during their audition when before they song "Toxic" by Britney Spears, Simon Cowell asked if they were brother and sister and Alex is like "Well, we kiss, so no." :dead: I loved them right off the bat. Their audition was so good and perfect for them. They made their presence known right off the bat even if Sierra was a bit shy. Their audition was very sexy and Alex might have had something to do with that. The Four Chair Challenge was next and they sang "You're The One That I Want" by John Travolta and Olivia Newton John from Grease. Fun fact, I actually in the audience when they performed this. True story! This was another perfect song for them. The way they slowed it down and might it so sexy and sultry. The way they looked at each other during the song. :wub: The way Demi asked what would happened if they broke-up and Simon said it was a stupid question. You were saying, Simon? Spoiler alert: They broke-up. Demi was right. They took a seat obviously and made the finals. For Week 1 they sang "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke (feat. Pharrell and T.I.). It was cool and funky. I liked it way more than the original. They made the song listenable. Oops. I still love you, Alan Thicke. Week 2 was Motown and they sang "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye. It was another good performance from them and their chemistry was just on point. It was a cute performance. Their next song was "Give Me Love" by Ed Sheeran and it was another solid performance from them. Ed Sheeran was a good for for those two. There was an issue with the voting for Week 2 because of a graphic issue so their was a re-vote and non-elimination which lead to the Save Me Song. That describes The X Factor USA though. A MESS. The next week was The 80's and Alex & Sierra sang "Addicted To Love" by Robert Palmer. The performance was okay nothing horrible. I enjoyed it but I didn't love it. Alex & Sierra were safe regardless and they sang "Best Song Ever" by One Direction next! Demi and Simon stood up and Demi said she was even going to download that song iTunes. I loved it. Such a different take on that song. 1D. ❤️ Big Band week saw them put a different spin on "I Knew You Were Trouble." by Taylor Swift. I love the original and I appreciate the risk but it wasn't one of my favorites tbh. Not bad. It was just in the middle for me. Maybe, I just like the original too much. It was fun though. Sierra was really coming out of her shell. Her personality of goofy, sweet and spunky made me love her. The next week say the 1-2 punch of "Say Name" by Destiny's Child and "Say Something & Christina Aguilera. "Say My Name" was so sexy and cool. They made this work so much. The song is already cool because hello, Desttiny's Child, but they made it work. It was so clever and cool. "Say Something" was THE BEST PERFORMANCE of the night. THE BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON. It was clear at this point that they were winning and they put themselves way ahead of the back. ALL THE JUDGES STOOD UP and it was my favorite performance of the season. I want to say this version topped the iTunes Singles Chart. The performance made me cry and you could just feel their passion and love which was a recurring word with them. Love and being compared to Sonny and Cher. For the Semi-Finals they sang "Little Talks" by Of Men and Monsters, they had to duet with another contestant and they did a duet with Carlito Olivera (who?) on "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová and "Gravity by Sara Bareilles. "Little Talks" was fun and cute. I liked it. On "Falling Slowly" they outclassed and out sang Carlito, I don't care what Paulina said. Sierra's voice soared on that song. "Gravity" is one of my favorite songs of all-time and they brought it home with that. Kelly cried. Demi cried. I cried. Another one of my favorite performances of the season. STUNNING. For the final they sang "Give Me Love" by Ed Sheeran and it was even better the first time, they did a duet with Leona Lewis on "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis and I will be honest and say Leona out sang them. Their Winners Song with "Say Something" by A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera. It was just as beautiful as the first time. They were winning and no one could take the win from them. On the night the winner of the was crowned they sang "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey and I'm sorry, but only Mariah can do Mariah. 😘 They won and when they sang their Winners Single it was so precious with all the crying in between. They topped the iTunes Singles Chart multiple times and it was great that The X Factor USA ended with a great and successful winners. The show was cancelled after this season but they finally got semi-successful winners after Melanie Amaro and Tate Stevens. They will my favorites of the season all along. I wrote way more than I wanted and even had to do this twice since my first write-up got lost because my computer decided to turn off. So let's summarize. :dead: Alex & Sierra were an American mixed indie folk-pop vocal duo consisting of Alex Kinsey and Sierra Deaton. They auditioned for Season 3 of The X Factor USA and made it all the way to the final as part of the Groups category mentored by Simon Cowell. They were crowned the winners defeating Jeff Gutt. They released their debut album "It's About Us" in 2014 and it debuted at #8 on the Billboard 200 Chart. I loved their song "Little Did You Know", "Bumper Cars" and their debut single "Scarecrow". The released an EP in 2016 called "As Seen on TV" which had songs they performed by The X Factor USA and some original songs. It didn't do well but it was cut EP. Alex & Sierra broke-up in 2017 and went on to pursue music individually. I'm very glad they made the finals and managed to escape the wrath of @NGM. Only one of two XFUSA contestants to do so. I do hope they at least outlast CeCe Frey though because altough I like her, I feel that they are way more talented and had a better run. I laugh that @JC has to put them up his Top 10. Maybe that will help their rank. Overrall, Alex & Sierra are one of my favorite acts from the American version of The X Factor so I'm happy they made the Top 20. And because they broke-up I don't believe in true love anymore. :giggle:

STEVEN:

I forgot how popular Alex & Sierra were. Look at the millions and millions of views their performances have on YouTube. Anyway, I remember watching Alex & Sierra on the third season of The X Factor USA. They were a cute couple that delivered sweet folksy pop covers throughout the competition. I rooted for Jeff Gutt to win the season, but I liked them well enough too. I remember how the judges would point out how Alex was the better vocalist of the two, but they were still great together. Some of my favorite performances of theirs include "Best Song Ever," "Say My Name," and "Gravity." It's a shame the two are no longer together, but at least they got the million dollar prize and released some music together before the breakup. I remember hearing some of their songs on Denise's music lists and liked what I heard. I don't know where they'll rank overall, but they get the #9 spot for me.

NICO:

NGL I have been going back and forth about where to put them since they disbanded/broke up, but at the same time, even with all my hate for the XFUS franchise, I can’t deny they were fantastic week in, week out. I’m just gonna pretend they got lost and they were on XF AUS tbh. Anyway their run on the show was pretty much spotless, there are a couple of songs they did that I don’t like (Blurred Lines being the main one), but overall they played to their strengths, had some cool rearrangements (like the One Direction song) and delivered fantastic performances towards the end (I will stan anyone that performs Little Talks this well). Anway, they won, and released and EP, and well, they split up. Still remember their run fondly as the only thing I actually care about the American version.

TOM:

I didn't watch all of X Factor US season 3, so this will be bare bones. Alex & Sierra were an American indie folk-pop duo from Orlando, Florida who won season 3 of The X Factor USA, getting the most votes every week from what I remember. Consisting of couple Alex Kinsey and Sierra Deaton, they were a part of the Groups catagory, mentored by Simon Cowell. They disbanded in September 2017 due to having broken up a year earlier. A few of their standout performances included Say Something in top 5 week and Gravity by Sara Bareilles in the semifinals that blew the judges away and secured them a place in the finals. Both performances hit number 1 on iTunes. Their audition of Toxic and performance of Give Me Love which they did in the revote show and reprised during the finale were two other standouts. I liked them enough but I've liked other duos more over the years so at #13 is where they will land in my rankings.

ELLIOTT:

Perhaps surprisingly, I didn't really care for Alex & Sierra early on and it was only Big Band week that made them grow on me. Er, I'm sorry... "Big Band" week. There we go. Their performance of Say My Name was super fun and catchy, and I still rewatch it every so often. They also apparently dominated in the votes, so good for them! What are they up to now? *looks at Wikipedia* Oh, never mind.

ZOEY:

giphy.gif

Alex & Sierra were contestants on the X Factor US 2013 where they won. I loathed the love story between them and the fact the judges shoved that down out throats at any given moment. The fact that they won after giving so many mediocre performances against people like Ellona, Carlito and Restless Road makes me want to vomit. I suppose Simon needed a story line for the season since it wasn't doing great in the ratings but I like to think Alex & Sierra winning contributed to the show being cancelled. They were so boring and neither of them had much about them.

SOLARIS:

Alex & Sierra were my intended cut in the final cut round.  I wanted CeCe to the be the last American standing, because that would have been Iconic.  That said, Alex and Sierra were my favorite on their season of the show.  Their chemistry was electric, and they had some good song choices.  My favorite song choices from them were: Gravity, Sat Something, and Little Talks.  I liked everything they performed though, and rightfully took the crown.  Alex & Sierra are also one of two groups that made the finals, amazing!  That said, I am making this last ditch attempt and getting CeCe her American win.  Sorry!

WALLACE:

tumblr_muhdg1j5jX1s07ow9o1_250.gif

The luckiest act to make it to the Top 20 is definitely Alex & Sierra, all through the luck of Randomizer. I am curious if they would have made it to Top 20 if not for that? I will admit, I was kinda disappointed that that did happen. I do like them and think they are talented but they were amongst my least favorites of the actual Top 29 and would have been a cut option of my very short cuts option list. :haha: Not saying I would 100% have actually cut them because I don’t know that for sure. But I am bummed to have lost out on bigger favorites that could have been on here (which could have been Joe McElderry if everything worked out :bye2:) but ah well moving on….

Alex & Sierra are an Indie-pop/folk singer/songwriter duo consisting of Alex Kinsey & Sierra Deaton, who competed on The X Factor USA Season 3. They were mentored by Simon Cowell and won the competition. Not only did they win but they dominated and led the votes every week except once (on Week 4). I do think they were deserving winners but I was more drawn too and rooted for Ellona Santiago and Josh Levi as my actual favorites that season. Alex & Sierra were likely my 3rd favorite that season. Come to think of it, my XFUSA faves did terribly in comparison to my UK and AU faves - so ugh Nico why couldn’t you have targeted all of the US contestants over my actual US faves? :dead: 

Here’s a breakdown of Alex & Sierra’s run:

Week 1: “Blurred Lines”

- Such an out-of-the-box song choice but they did well with this putting their own twist on this song. Forgot about this but enjoyed this.

Week 2: “I Heard It Through the Grapevine”

- Not my favorite but this was pretty cool and good.

SB51.gif

Week 2 (Save Me Songs): “Give Me Love”

- This song seems much more in their wheelhouse. A very pretty performance. 

Week 3: ”Addicted to Love”

- Ooh wow I forgot about this performance but I do remember this stage setting.  This was fine but not one of my favorites of theirs. 

Week 4: “Best Song Ever”

- One Direction is such an unexpected artist and song choice from them but of course they made it their own. This was nice and pretty.

Week 5: “I Knew You Were Trouble”

- OMG this was Big Band week…. crazy how they do this Taylor Swift song with a Big Band twist. I felt this was much more different from all of their performances. The performance was interesting - didn’t completely work with me with the song+arrangement. Sierra looks really gorgeous in her red dress here.

Week 6: “Say My Name” & “Say Something”

Their semi-finals performances were my two favorites from them. I love “Say My Name” the song of course and really enjoyed their take on it. It was funky and sassy with a more uptempo feel from them here. “Say Something” was their “moment” and this was an absolutely gorgeous performance. :wub: Beautiful singing and great emotion from them here.

Week 7: “Little Talks” & “Gravity”

- Ugh I can’t stand the “Little Talks” song so this was hard for me to really enjoy. :dead: They did well with this but it bored me and ISaidWhatISaid.gif. I forgot about “Gravity” but I do love that song and their performance of it was beautiful. Another one of their best ones.

Week 8: “Give Me Love,” “Bleeding Love” (duet with Leona Lewis) & “Say Something”

- Their reprisals of of “Give Me Love” was really good once again and “Say Something” was simply fantastic. Them dueting with Leona Lewis on “Bleeding Love” was unexpected but this was a very nice performance.

I don’t remember their run tooo well but I do remember some of these performances from looking at this list (and of course remember them better having re-watched them).  Alex & Sierra have this talent of taking any song from any genre and making their own. Their style of Indie-Pop and folk music isn’t really my style - and I think sometimes their performances would blend in together to me. I appreciate what the bring but they aren’t an act I would listen to on repeat like a number of other acts in this game. 

I know Alex & Sierra released an album since their time from the show and had a pretty decent career. I also know they broke up romantically (and I assume musically too) so that is sad to hear. :( But congrats to them making it this far.

Edited by *Chris
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elliott

• *Chris

• *Wallace

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cat literally just died and I just got finished burying him so forgive me if I frankly don't give a sh*t what anyone told you. This game does not matter to me right now.

Victoria went to the  emergency room last night due to stomach related issues. She has been there since last night.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, ~Tom~ said:

Alex & Sierra's average was quite a bit higher than CeCe's. I imagine the next few must be closer. 

#17 & #16 are tied. 

12 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Three acts posted and my top eleven is still intact. :wub:

This is shocking for you. :lmao: :dead: 

My #20/19/17 being posted already. :wub: Well done to Alex & Sierra making it here although I was/am salty about it. :lmao: 

• Sad 1

I wasn’t expecting Alex and Sierra next , hopefully this does not start male pagonging. To the male supporting IDF Gods, I pray 🙏 if there even are any.

2 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Janelle's eye bags being because of Ian. :dead:

Just now, Elliott said:

These DR confessionals are the epitome of cringe.

OMG. The way @Elliott and I have our threads mixed up. :dead:

Just now, Elliott said:

Nice to have these posts in here. :wub: :giggle: 

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

Nick Young Wtf GIF

• *Chris changed the title to The X Factor Rankdown