Horror Movie Rankdown 2.0 - Return of the Living Rankers

Deeee

mmm i'm gonna do you all some solids with these cuts:

The Cat and the Canary (1927 dir. by Paul Leni)

White Zombie (1932 dir. by Victor Halperin)

Werewolf of London (1935 dir. by Stuart Walker)

The Invisible Man Returns (1940 dir. by Joe May)

The Comedy of Terrors (1963 dir. by Jacques Tourneur)

Edited by totes4totes
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Lol sorry I get caught up unpacking! I just rearranged all my DVDs and how did I think I was straight all of college! I specifically own movies because Anna Kendrick is in them after seeing Pitch Perfect!!!!!

Anna Kendrick is amazing though. No worries. Do you think they will be in today?

The_Cat_and_the_Canary_-_1927_theatrical

The Cat and the Canary (1927 dir. by Paul Leni)

A silent horror film. It's great in the way that many silent movies that still exist are great but it just gets outclassed by time and the inability to really watch it as intended. It is one of the first movies to really mix comedy and horror though which is really cool! The most notable reproduction of the play in movie form is actually probably the 1939 version with Bob Hope. 

440px-Poster_-_White_Zombie_01_Crisco_re

White Zombie (1932 dir. by Victor Halperin)

Probably the first feature length zombie film. But not as good as the Val Lewton films of the day which kind of dominated the early horror scene. It does star Bela Lugosi though. Who is an early horror icon.  

Werewolfoflondon.jpg

Werewolf of London (1935 dir. by Stuart Walker)

Not as good as The Wolf Man nor An American Werewolf in London. 

The_Invisible_Man_Returns_movie_poster.j

The Invisible Man Returns (1940 dir. by Joe May)

A sequel to The Invisible Man which is neither as good nor as iconic as the original movie. 

tumblr_o8w9dczskn1uxfu8ao10_500.gifv

The Comedy of Terrors (1963 dir. by Jacques Tourneur)

Jacques Tourneur is a great classic horror director but I'd argue that this is far past his best work which I would say was in the 40s when he was working with Val Lewton and maybe a bit in the 50s with some of his (very 50s) genre films. As the title suggests this is a comedy horror film with maybe a bit more emphasis on the comedy and has a great cast with Vincent Price (who was also in The Invisible Man Returns but you probably best know him for The Ten Commandments, House of Wax, or the original The Fly), Peter Lorre (who would have been "that guy cast as a foreigner in a lot of Hollywood films back in the day"), Boris Karloff (no introduction needed), Basil Rathbone (famously Sherlock Holmes in 14 films), Joyce Jameson, and Joe E. Brown. Though the script leaves a lot to be desired, the acting certainly elevates the material. According to reviews from the day, the movie was shot in 20 days on a 12 hour per day schedule. Which sounds exhausting. The story of the movie follows Vincent Price's character as he tries to conduct shady deeds regarding his funeral parlor and the occasional murder. It's a fun movie worth watching but a weaker entry in the classic horror genre in which there are still many movies left.

THE THIRD POWER OF HORROR

FairSilentEnglishsetter-small.gif

Two players have earned the third power of horror!

Congratulations to @totes4totes and @1234567890 for successfully embodying the role of The Shape for multiple rounds. Both of you have proven that you can move in the shadows, lurk behind every corner, and strike without detection. 

Both of you must be choose one of the three advantages. Please note: advantages will be harder to earn now that we have reached the halfway point and will come with different horrific powers! Also worth noting is that many films will lose their immunity status now, so choose wisely.

1) Offer one film immunity for the entire next round

2) Cut two additional films

3) Earn an advantage in the following round

Just now, ~Tom~ said:

Yessss. Still don’t want to get my hopes up though.

They're by reputable places (i.e. Bloody Disgusting), so it's more-than-likely true.

Though (and this will be blasphemous), I lowkey kind of hope Courteney/Dewey/Sidney are just in a few scenes and it's mostly focused on a new group of teenagers. #BringKirbyBack

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

Though (and this will be blasphemous), I lowkey kind of hope Courteney/Dewey/Sidney are just in a few scenes and it's mostly focused on a new group of teenagers. #BringKirbyBack

Blasphemy detected.

1 minute ago, Deeee said:

Blasphemy detected.

It'd be disrespectful to the characters if they killed off Dewey/Gale/Sidney, but them being the leads is anti-climatic since you know they aren't going to die.

I want a true meta reboot since Scream 4 only kind of went there.

11 minutes ago, Elliott said:

It'd be disrespectful to the characters if they killed off Dewey/Gale/Sidney, but them being the leads is anti-climatic since you know they aren't going to die.

I want a true meta reboot since Scream 4 only kind of went there.

I am okay with Dewey dying since he nearly does in every film. LOL.

But Gale and Sidney for the Endgame.