Will AI18 resume production when it is safe to do so?

CandiceFan12

Will AI18 resume production when it is safe to do so?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will AI18 resume production when it is safe to do so?

• Yes, when it is safe to do so
    • No, the season is cancelled

On 3/26/2020 at 2:37 PM, mytake1 said:

There's also all the press they need to do.  Katy may just not want to do it.  She doesn't need the money or exposure.  She's in her mid-30's, this will be her first baby.  Time for herself. 

You always act like she can just not do her job. Guess what? She signed a contract for millions of dollars, and the network owns her right now. She has no choice but to work. The ONLY way they would let her out is if she gives birth, or is extremely pregnant but she would still have to pay them back most of that money for this season.

Edited by frederick

5 hours ago, frederick said:

You always act like she can just not do her job. Guess what? She signed a contract for millions of dollars, and the network owns her right now. She has no choice but to work. The ONLY way they would let her out is if she gives birth, or is extremely pregnant but she would still have to pay them back most of that money for this season.

Huh?  When did I ever say she CAN'T do her job?  But maybe she wants to stay home with her baby.  She's already cancelled anything having to do with her career, except for some social media.  She been in the business a long time and there is no way she did not sign a contract that would have not protected her.  She isn't stupid.

Edited by mytake1

I'm sure ABC, a multi-billion dollar media corporation owned by Disney, has things in their contracts in the event of maternity/paternity issues even if they weren't pregnant or expecting to be pregnant at the time. :huh: 

The latest.

Producers sent an email to the crew, alerting them that studio production for the season was probably over. “As we continue to monitor advice from federal and local agencies, it seems unlikely we are going to be able to make it back into the studio for this season of American Idol.”

But apparently, ABC is looking into the idea of finishing the current season remotely from the judge's living rooms.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/30/american-idol-season-canceled-coronavirus-covid-19/

Edited by mytake1

On 3/26/2020 at 12:28 PM, mytake1 said:

It says ABC already has unscripted shows shot they can air.  If something like The Bachelor Listen To Your Heart takes off, Idol could be history.  The Bachelor franchise is big for ABC and it is a lot cheaper to produce.   For Idol, Katy may not want to come back.  And they would be stupid to enforce any contract with anyone who is pregnant and chose to stay home with her baby.

Bachelor, cheaper to produce? I enjoy the bachelor but it’s got to be one of the most expensive shows to produce

LOL...The Bachelor Listen To Your Heart is NOT going to take off...LOL....The Bachelor and The Bachelorette is the only real successful thing in the Bachelor franchise...and Idol is NOT going to be history...at least not after this season...maybe this season is history after next week, but not Idol as a whole...

Edited by kenboy123

16 minutes ago, xfactor22 said:

Bachelor, cheaper to produce? I enjoy the bachelor but it’s got to be one of the most expensive shows to produce

Only The Bachelor or Bachelorette gets paid - avg $100K.  The other contestants aren't paid.  You compare this to the millions in salaries just for the Idol judges, host.

I like the idea of them just featuring the top 20 for the next few weeks and then we vote for the winner just once, which if we follow the current schedule, that would be around first week of May.

Some of their performances were not fully shown, and they can show more of their individual footages, like when they first performed and even some of their online performances. Some of them already have songs online and they should feature them. 5 to 7 contestants every Sunday, maybe in between, some contestants eliminated during Hollywood or Hawaii (a lot of their performances were also cut short).

In a month, we would then already know a lot about the contestants, or one cut from the judges to make the top 5 that will perform on an empty studio by early May. That's what we vote for, and that would be the winner.

If they keep giving contestants a lot of airtime, then losing or the final result won't be all that bad.

Just to say, that maybe the question phrasing should be, ...resume when it is medically safe to do so...

because economically, I don’t think we have any idea what that will look like, even in a month. Not being cynical, just wondering, because, will they pay crew, band, stylists, etc., for down time, or lay everyone off and then... how would it work?

I would think they'll resume production once it is safe to do so, similar to any other TV production that has been put on hold (Wendy Williams, Kelly Clarkson's talk show, etc.). It wouldn't make any sense at all to spend so much time doing the auditions, sending them to Hollywood and Hawaii, narrowing it down to the top finalists, and then just throwing the whole season away, but then starting a new one. They shouldn't begin season 19 until season 18 is complete, that's just basic logic? Perhaps the season will be truncated when or if it does return, but it would be really stupid to just outright cancel the season but then start over. Either continue with the current season or cancel the show altogether. And at this point in time, it's likely no one from the show is getting paid if there's no show going on. Could be they are laid off until the show comes back.

1 hour ago, BogoGog24 said:

I would think they'll resume production once it is safe to do so, similar to any other TV production that has been put on hold (Wendy Williams, Kelly Clarkson's talk show, etc.). It wouldn't make any sense at all to spend so much time doing the auditions, sending them to Hollywood and Hawaii, narrowing it down to the top finalists, and then just throwing the whole season away, but then starting a new one. They shouldn't begin season 19 until season 18 is complete, that's just basic logic? Perhaps the season will be truncated when or if it does return, but it would be really stupid to just outright cancel the season but then start over. Either continue with the current season or cancel the show altogether. And at this point in time, it's likely no one from the show is getting paid if there's no show going on. Could be they are laid off until the show comes back.

Oh yeah, if they don't continue this season then the show is definitely going to end up being cancelled for good and won't be back. It's either this season continues in some way, or it's done completely.

2 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

But talk shows are basically year round, every day...at least most of the year...so, they wouldn't have to find a time slot to fit it in....after this season, the next season is scheduled to start filming, so tell me how is it going to continue???...and how do you know if you can get all 20 contestants back a year from now....they may have no choice then to just move on to the next????...remember, other shows already have a lot of the time slots in a few months time...how do you fit it in???

1 hour ago, frederick said:

Oh yeah, if they don't continue this season then the show is definitely going to end up being cancelled for good and won't be back. It's either this season continues in some way, or it's done completely.

How does that even follow???....COVID-19 isn't going to cancel America's Got Talent,  The Voice and all these other shows...why can't they just start fresh and have new contestants if you can't get all 20 contestants back or if COVID-19 takes too long to resolve???

Edited by kenboy123

16 hours ago, kenboy123 said:

LOL...The Bachelor Listen To Your Heart is NOT going to take off...LOL....The Bachelor and The Bachelorette is the only real successful thing in the Bachelor franchise...and Idol is NOT going to be history...at least not after this season...maybe this season is history after next week, but not Idol as a whole...

You think Idol is going to be on the air forever.  FOX had already cancelled it before.  At this point, no one can say for sure it will be cancelled.  But no one can say for sure it will be back.  Things change all the time.

Edited by mytake1

49 minutes ago, kenboy123 said:

why can't they just start fresh and have new contestants if you can't get all 20 contestants back

I thought you said everyone will be back, because they have nothing else going on, lol.

Listen, if they can't get everyone back, they don't need to start fresh.  They can fill the slots with those who just missed the cut.  The judges know who they are.  Some of them could have improved by then. 

6 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

You think Idol is going to be on the air forever.  FOX had already cancelled it before.  At this point, no one can say for sure it will be cancelled.  But no one can say for sure it will be back.  Things change all the time.

I don't think it will be on forever...but i certainly don't think it's going to be canceled due to COVID-19...which you seem to be implying...

2 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

I thought you said everyone will be back, because they have nothing else going on, lol.

Listen, if they can't get everyone back, they don't need to start fresh.  They can fill the slots with those who just missed the cut.  The judges know who they are.  Some of them could have improved by then. 

It depends on how long this lasts...if it lasts for a month or two...i don't see why you can't...but if they run out of time this year...maybe not....i certainly don't think the season is going to continue if they can't air until next year...

Edited by kenboy123

4 minutes ago, kenboy123 said:

I don't think it will be on forever...but i certainly don't think it's going to be canceled due to COVID-19...which you seem to be implying...

Nope.  I never said FOR SURE it will be cancelled. 

1 minute ago, mytake1 said:

Nope.  I never said FOR SURE it will be cancelled. 

You seem to think it's a very big possibility....i don't think any show is going to out right canceled because if COVID-19...if any show is taken off the air...it's not because of COVID-19...

Back on topic, I'm not sure if this season is going to continue...it highly depends on when this clears up, if this clears up quickly and they can start filming immediately and they actually can fit it in with a time slot...i don't think you will have a problem getting all 20 contestants back and finishing off this season...

If they can't start filming immediately after this clears up or they can't find a time slot or filming for next season is already scheduled to start...i think the whole season will be abandoned and we are going to have to move on to Season 19....and the top 20 will have to audition all over again to be on the show....that's my opinion...

Edited by kenboy123

If I were an aspiring musician and managed to make it to the top 20 on a nationally televised show with the possibility of getting a record deal, I would make myself available to come back as soon as filming resumed. I’m sure they won’t have any difficulty getting the finalists back. And if a few can’t go on for whatever reason, they can always bring back someone who was cut. It’s not that hard. I also don’t see what the point would be in having the finalists re-audition. Wouldn’t they kind of have some advantage over the new contestants? I still don’t see what the point would be in starting the next season just to keep on with the same audition schedule. Maybe they could just cut the season in half and do a fall cycle followed by a spring cycle like The Voice if they’re really concerned about keeping the schedule on track.