Public - 1st

@NGM - 3rd

@Zoey - 3rd

@Elliott - 5th

@*Chris - 6th

@Solaris - 6th

@1234567890 - 9th

@Alex95 - 18th

I ranked Kelly fifth, just below the four people I think I probably needed to rank higher than her. I knew that unless anyone bussed her, she would probably win by a landslide and I was right. She dominated the final vote. Even with no #1 ranking from a ranker, she was still 2 full points ahead of our runner-up, and it's no secret why. Kelly is the one and only, the original recipe for what makes a great Idol contestant. The show really struck gold to have her as their first winner. Yes, they marketed the living daylights out of her, but Kelly's southern girl-next-door, unassuming waitress who can sing her face off is everything the show needed to kickstart it into the mega hit that it became. Carrie was just the second coming of that, but Kelly started it all.

Her run on the show is nothing short of stellar and still holds up so many seasons later. One only needs to look at her WhatNotToSing profile to see that she had an almost flawless run and that every one of her performance, minus Its Raining Men, deserve to be in the conversation for some of the show's best. My personal favourite is "Stuff Like That There" for how unexpectedly great it was, but I find myself rewatching "Natural Woman", "Think Twice", "I Surrender", "Without You" and "Respect" all the time. The songs back then were classic and Kelly nailed them all. With her voice, her ability to perform and her endearing personality, it's no surprise that she found the success that she did.

I likely don't need to lecture the people of this forum on Kelly's success, especially her discography since we just covered it in the music rankdown, but needless to say, I still follow her music career religiously and every one of her album's has been on heavy rotation after it's release. I've had the privilege to see her in concert three times, twice in Toronto and once in Nashville with Elliott on her Meaning of Life tour. That show was the most special for me because it was the first time we got to see her together, despite owing our relationship to the show, and it was an incredible show. She even brought her mother-in-law, Reba, on stage to sing with her. And to top it all off, we ran into Chris Daughtry after the show. Despite the fact that we had to drive all the way back to Ohio that night and didn't roll in until 5am, it was all worth it to see the greatest Idol contestant and most deserving winner of this rankdown do her thing. :bobo:

On 8/30/2020 at 9:52 PM, NGM said:

I love her more than Adam, but Adam needs more help than her I feel like. While I haven’t been a huge fan of her last few albums, she is still a fantastic artist, and insane vocalist, and her run on Idol is literally the blueprint for so many pop and soul artists. Sadly few match her talent level lol.

On 8/27/2020 at 8:15 AM, Zoey said:

giphy.gif

The OG American Idol. American Idol was so different back when Kelly competed and the song choices left a lot to be desired but Kelly is amazing vocally. The songs that she chose on the show are amongst my favourites and I think she inspired a certain type of singer to follow in her footsteps with the performances. Kelly is one of the few contestants to deliver every single week whatever the theme was. Even when she was ill she was able to pull out a performance that stood out amongst the other contestants. Did she deserve to win? One hundred percent. Did she have the best performances of anyone in her season? Absolutely! She’s the original American Idol for a reason. 

On 8/31/2020 at 10:32 PM, *Chris said:

KELLY CLARKSON

giphy.gif

In a perfect world, I would have ranked Kelly in 3rd or so, but I wanted to give Tamyra a good ranking for Victoria as well trying to increase to average of some of my favourites. But that being said, she still find herself at pretty high on my ranking which is just outside of my Top 5.  So let's talk about Kelly Clarkson; She is the original queen, and there's a reason why she remains the queen after all the years! On the show, she proved her versatility with performances such as "Respect", "I Surrender", "Without You" and "Stuff Like That There" - there was no doubt that she was going to win especially after delivering performances like the one I mentioned.  And she proved to be one of the few Idol contestants to experience a level of fame and recognition - I am obviously a fan of her music and I look forward to her releasing more for many years to come, and continue to prove that she's one of the most underrated vocalist in the business like her fellow American Idol winner, Carrie Underwood.  To conclude, American Idol is what it is because of Kelly Clarkson & without her, we probably never would have met the other contestants that followed in her footstep.

On 8/28/2020 at 1:44 PM, Solaris said:

Realistically, Kelly is in my Top 3 ever. I know she's going to get a a lot of votes, so I feel comfortable putting her a little lower. I am going to focus on her idol Journey, as I follow her career, and enjoy her talk show (especially kellyoke). Kelly was far and away my favourite on American Idol. I started watching Idol with my mom, when the Top 10 started. The concept of the show was new to me and I didn't know much about music at that time besides country music. She and American Idol as a whole was a gateway for me into other genres of music. I remember that first live show, when she came on stage with You're All I Need to Get By, and I told my mom she was my favourite Watching the same, she was my first ever favourite (sorry Ryan/Tamyra!) Each week after she came on the show and slayed. So many memorable to choose from but her Stuff Like that there, and Without you (especially the results show version) were my favourite performances from her. I can give every performance of hers a mention as each time she came out I became a bigger fan. I think she is probably going to win this rankdown, and I am 100% okay with that.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:56 PM, Alex95 said:

I swear this is my only petty ranking! If a bunch of other people also petty rank Kelly I'll feel bad for it. But she's just a bit too predictable of a winner for my liking. I want someone a bit more shocking. But I still can't rank her any lower than this because she's Kelly f*cking Clarkson. The Queen of American Idol. Every performance of Kelly's is amazing. She really doesn't have a bad one in the bunch. Kelly Clarkson doesn't know how to give a bad performance. Her vocals are flawless, her personality is wonderful, her song choices are good. I think about her high note on "A Natural Woman" at least once a week. I just want someone else to win I'm sorry y'all 🙈. If she still does win though I won't be mad at all!

• Like 1

Wow, this has been so fun to watch! 😄 Thank you to @sublymonal for running this and to the rankers for keeping it interesting. 😅 While we may disagree on some (a lot) of things, it has been great to see everyone’s different opinions on the contestants. 😊 Kelly was my #2, so after Archie was eliminated, I was rooting for her to win it all (again.) :yes: Her performance of Natural Woman mesmerizes me to this day, and her post-Idol career is one that every Idol alum dreams of. 😃 

Edited by Bk1234
  • Like 2

the voice singing GIF by NBC

Nothing need to be said here. 👑

Now that it's at the end, I've been following this thread for a while and have a couple of thoughts which no one cares about, but I'm saying them anyway:haha:

• I would've liked to see Jeremiah and Hollie place better than they did.
  • The decision between LaToya and Crystal absolutely killed me. 😭
  • Some of the semi-finalists picks had me in stitches. 🤣

Overall, this rankdown was fun to go through, and it was cool to see some of the opinions and tastes of others, even if I disagreed with them. I'm not sure if there'll be another one in the future, but if so, I'll be there to follow along.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 9:39 PM, Crisis said:

the voice singing GIF by NBC

Nothing need to be said here. 👑

Now that it's at the end, I've been following this thread for a while and have a couple of thoughts which no one cares about, but I'm saying them anyway:haha:

• I would've liked to see Jeremiah and Hollie place better than they did.
  • The decision between LaToya and Crystal absolutely killed me. 😭
  • Some of the semi-finalists picks had me in stitches. 🤣

Overall, this rankdown was fun to go through, and it was cool to see some of the opinions and tastes of others, even if I disagreed with them. I'm not sure if there'll be another one in the future, but if so, I'll be there to follow along.

I’ll probably wait until after the next season to do the next one so we can include S18 and S19 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2020 at 8:27 PM, miss denise said:

The public's #1 winning. :wub:  

So happy with Kelly coming out on top of the rankdown. She is so amazing, talented, loveable, etc. and true Idol royalty. ❤️ Perfect ending. ❤️ 

I would say it was a predictable ending but with these rank downs nothing is predictable and I’m happy she got the win now because she’ll never win again :haha:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sublymonal said:

I’ll probably wait until after the next season to do the next one so we can include S18 and S19 🙂

OK. Who knows; maybe I'll try my hand in participating. After all, someone will need to protect Katharine from an early cut:haha:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching some Nikki McKibbin performances on Idol and I've been reduced to tears. :broken: American Idol and these Season One contestants have been apart of my life for over 18 years. That's more than half of my life so the fact that Nikki McKibbin is from Season One just hits so much harder. 😭 RIP NIKKI MCKIBBIN. ❤️ My thoughts and prayers are with her husband, child, family, friends and fans. 2020 just keeps getting worse. Fly high, angel. ❤️

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

I'm watching some Nikki McKibbin performances on Idol and I've been reduced to tears. :broken: American Idol and these Season One contestants have been apart of my life for over 18 years. That's more than half of my life so the fact that Nikki McKibbin is from Season One just hits so much harder. 😭 RIP NIKKI MCKIBBIN. ❤️ My thoughts and prayers are with her husband, child, family, friends and fans. 2020 just keeps getting worse. Fly high, angel. ❤️

Ten-year-old was so obsessed with Nikki back in the day as everyone knows, so her death has really hit me hard. :( The first season of Idol really did have such an impact on the course of my life, and she was a big part of that. :broken:

• Sad 1

I was listening to the episode of Nigel Lythgoe's podcast (ugh don't judge me) with Nikki on the Top 3 week of S1/her memories of always being in the B3/B2. She said that her & Tamyra realized Tamyra was getting eliminated that night when the representative from the record label came by with their winner's singles in the morning and only gave the physical copies to Kelly, Justin and Nikki. :rofl:

tenor.gif