idolforums.com
istersay

COVID-19 Discussion 😷

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

Here’s an interview of Dr. Fauci from January 26. Within the first minute of the interview, he said he didn’t believe Coronavirus was a serious threat to the US. He repeated that later in the interview, and added that he didn’t believe it was highly transmissible, adding that it may be less transmissible than influenza. 

Two months ago. I’m chalking this up to flawed data (or no data?) from China. Remember, 5 days later we enacted the travel ban on China. 

It’s only 8 minutes long. Take a listen. 

https://catsroundtable.com/dr-anthony-fauci-national-institute-health-nih-infectious-diseases-coronavirus-us/

Edited by TeamAudra

2 hours ago, Drew said:

So, because my father (a staunch Trump supporter) posed this question to me and I'll post how I answered it, I wanted to pose it to you guys. How would you handle this if you were POTUS, particularly those that object to how this president responded?

My response: So, I’m NOT the president so it’s a bit silly for me to speculate. The only thing I’d really say is when you propose major cuts to the CDC, it doesn’t necessarily aid when it comes to something like this. His messaging has changed rapidly from nothing to worry about in January to what it is now, which is important. He went from downplaying the risk to recognizing the spread but downplaying the risk. Then came the messaging that we’re at war with an invisible enemy and it escalated. You know I made the comparison to W with Katrina. It’s important to have things like ventilators in place because when someone needs one, it’s pretty vital there’s movement in an expeditious manner. He does appear to be listening to the doctors, experts and that’s great. I don’t KNOW for sure it’s his Katrina, but again, the numbers I wouldn’t read too much into now as the public rallies around the president in a time of crisis. W’s approval after 9/11 hit 90%. I’m sure we’ll come out of it eventually, but we need to listen to the experts. I know POTUS is anxious because of the gains that have been lost since he took office and that’s his chief argument for re-election, but there is time. A single person being elected to a second term isn’t as important as people’s lives though and his messaging sometimes gives away the priorities. (i.e. We can’t wear masks forever or I want the country opened up by Easter, it will magically disappear, we can’t let the cure be worse than the problem, etc). 

I know that Trump is fearful for his re-election bid right now. He sees the economy in front of him, he sees people out of work, and he thinks that it will reflect badly on him. I think he is severely underestimating the average persons ability to assess the situation and understand that this may be out of everyone's control. I would hope that what Americans want now is a leader (and opposition Democrats) who will put egos and partisan politics aside, listen to experts who have a good idea of what's happening, and make those difficult yet strong decisions to protect the lives of their citizens. I still think that if he were to stand a strong hand, proactive approach along with ensuring Americans that you'll come out of this stronger than ever that he could gain a lot of support. Downplaying the situation or trying to rush people back to work will have the opposite effect.

47 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Here’s an interview of Dr. Fauci from January 26. Within the first minute of the interview, he said he didn’t believe Coronavirus was a serious threat to the US. He repeated that later in the interview, and added that he didn’t believe it was highly transmissible, adding that it may be less transmissible than influenza. 

Two months ago. I’m chalking this up to flawed data (or no data?) from China. Remember, 5 days later we enacted the travel ban on China. 

It’s only 8 minutes long. Take a listen. 

https://catsroundtable.com/dr-anthony-fauci-national-institute-health-nih-infectious-diseases-coronavirus-us/

Yeah, I think even up to early March we may have been very ill-informed about the nuances of Covid (and to be honest we're still learning on the fly). Also trying to figure out if the number of infections in China were due to both the population density and sub-standard health care system was a bit of a mystery. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RWG said:

A scary prediction you heard before this was that it would affect people we know. Right now it's public figures we all know, but soon it will be people we know personally.

I know two people who have it, and three more people who likely had it. All younger - healthy people.

My bigger concern is for my grandmother, who is in a nursing home..that has three cases. I thought this lockdown would prevent me from seeing her ever again anyway, because I really didn't expect her to live through early summer. (She has vascular dementia, and all the signs pointing towards the last three months of life)...now I'm almost positive. 

I've mentioned a few times that I'm nervous about my students - many who live in traumatic and dangerous environments..and it only gets more traumatic and more dangerous the longer they are home. One of my student's cousin was shot and killed last night. That is related. I'm afraid not all of my students will make it back. 

My mantra for the past 5 years has been for people to understand how seemingly big things..policies..science..etc..can and do impact everyone in their every day lives. This has been a global shit-show.

Donald's actions are the actions of someone who doesn't know what the heck he's doing. It has shown. We're projected to have between 100,000 -240,000 deaths in April. IF we social distance.  And those are just predicted from the disease. We need competent government. 

edit: Drew's question..I wouldn't have disbanded the pandemic team. The senate was bringing this up in February - its at that point that you begin to test and trace to try and quarantine/limit. Preventative action. Making sure hospitals have supplies (and abundance) that they may need. The virus was going to kill some people in America - not Donald's fault. But there was plenty of action that could have been taken to prevent THIS many people from dying. 

Edited by mercfan3

Posted (edited)

So …. how does one know how to prepare, for the upcoming pandemic, if you don't KNOW, what it's going to be?  UNLESS, you DO KNOW, what it's going to be.

At 0:33  what do you see?   Also, the comments are very interesting.  And… wasn't it Obama, who was president in 2015 (Video title) ?

Keep in mind, this MSNBC video just came out today , but the Bill Gates footage is from 2015

Edited by psterina

What do I see at 0:33? Bill Gates?

Seriously. You got to let this go. It's not a good look for yourself.

• Like 1

I dont think Trump should've been disbanded the pandemic team but I think the reason its so bad in America is we are just stupid and dont listen.

This weekend the beaches in my state are closed with signs everywhere. Still this weekend I drove by an Industrial beach on the bay. Only view is of industrial plants and surrounded by murky mangroves.   Still saw dozens on the beach on top of each other.

19 minutes ago, sneaky said:

I dont think Trump should've been disbanded the pandemic team but I think the reason its so bad in America is we are just stupid and dont listen.

This weekend the beaches in my state are closed with signs everywhere. Still this weekend I drove by an Industrial beach on the bay. Only view is of industrial plants and surrounded by murky mangroves.   Still saw dozens on the beach on top of each other.

I think the root of Americanism is individualism. Middle class Americans do what they want. Period. 

Really hope this flattens and we only need to go to end of April....because Americans aren't going to be able to even do what they are doing past then...(Plus, at some point..this will take an irreversible toll on the economy. ) 

The daily briefing is underway now if anyone cares to watch. 

8 hours ago, Jonathan said:

I thought he was going to be rude. What was wrong with his response? He's right and was very respectful. 

Posted (edited)

I don't have anything insightful to add, but just wanted to send good vibes and love to everyone. I would appreciate the same! :hug:

I got laid off from my job after almost being with the company for almost 5 years (September). 💔 I'm trying to keep my head up but it's frustrating when people who worked there less than six months in a similar position got to keep theirs.  ::sigh::

I will likely use this time to revaluate my next career move, possibly try to take some online courses and work towards getting my masters. I feel like a failure at almost 30.  I'm in constant worry over my aunt and uncle (they raised me) who are in their 70s who aren't really taking this as seriously as they should, basically no one in my family really is. 

P.S. 

We need another Soap Box type thread, especially during all of this uncertainty. My anxiety and depression have been all over the place lately. 

Edited by *Laci

^ This!! 

One day feels like a week. 

^madness

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 11:13 AM, *Laci said:

I don't have anything insightful to add, but just wanted to send good vibes and love to everyone. I would appreciate the same! :hug:

I got laid off from my job after almost being with the company for almost 5 years (September). 💔 I'm trying to keep my head up but it's frustrating when people who worked there less than six months in a similar position got to keep theirs.  ::sigh::

I will likely use this time to revaluate my next career move, possibly try to take some online courses and work towards getting my masters. I feel like a failure at almost 30.  I'm in constant worry over my aunt and uncle (they raised me) who are in their 70s who aren't really taking this as seriously as they should, basically no one in my family really is. 

P.S. 

We need another Soap Box type thread, especially during all of this uncertainty. My anxiety and depression have been all over the place lately. 

I'm sorry to hear that. Trust me if you're in your 20s and held a steady full time job for five years you're not a failure. Tons of people in their 20s can't do that. I didn't even land a full time job until 25

• Like 1

I was wondering when the Christians were going to blame vaginas.

Great news that deaths in NY has been mostly flat for the last 48 hours or so. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Drew said:

Great news that deaths in NY has been mostly flat for the last 48 hours or so. 

O1E4UZ9.png

Edited by TeamAudra

They are using drone :stealth:

And now …. Gates thinks, that we shouldn't be able to travel without a vaccine certificate  :unsure:

Asian countries that were able to extinguish the initial spread and tried reopening aspects of the economy are just finding the numbers go back up again. It's looking more and more like we'll have to continue social distancing--to at least some disruptive degree--until the vaccine is approved for public use and available to all.

There's going to be a large delta between the end of the first wave and the vaccine. I'm worried that people are going to get fed up when they're told to continue to stay home into the fall, and governments are going to cave to pressure from the economy, at the risk of our most vulnerable.