COVID-19 Discussion 😷

Rate this topic

istersay

8 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Damn it 15 k a day in my state catching this now. I'm leaning towards just going on vacation or just eating in restaraunts now just to catch this thing and get it over with. It seems inevitable.

Yep. It’s only a question of whether you can get vaccinated before you inevitably catch it. There’s no hiding from it, unless you literally lock yourself in your house for a year, which isn’t a practical solution. 

13 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

My bad, I apologize. There are some genuine trolls who frequent this board & thread; I can never be so sure when another might jump out of the shadows.

I can break down this answer into two parts. The first being that a vaccine will not work for someone who has already been infected with COVID. Unlike getting a headache, and then taking Tylenol to cure it, or giving a flu shot to someone who already has influenza, giving a vaccine to someone who is already sick won't do anything. The vaccine helps the immune system trigger a response to effectively fight the SARS-CoV-2 virus should you get infected further down the line, but giving the vaccine to someone who is already sick won't do anything since the immune system is already fighting the virus, though in that instance the immune system doesn't recognize the virus enough to effectively fight it. People are still dying because there really isn't anything you can do to help those who are already sick other than the treatments which we have been using for the past year.

Secondly, the vaccine is still in the early stages of roll-out. Right now, vaccine priorities are for front-line workers (doctors, nurses, etc.), and in the USA that process only started a little less than 3 weeks ago. As of two days ago, 2.1 million Americans were given the first dose of the vaccine, which is a paltry 0.6% of the American population. You've probably heard a lot of talk about "herd immunity" throughout the pandemic, and realistically mass vaccination is the only way to reach herd immunity, which for a virus like SARS-CoV-2, will require approximately 70% of the population to be immune to the virus to achieve that goal. So, there's still a very long way to go there. Compounding that as well, as the vaccine is a 2-shot program. After the first shot, it takes around a week for the immune system to build immunity to the virus, but the 1st vaccine only achieves around 50% immunity (hence if 100 people only received the 1st vaccine, and they were all placed in a room with the virus, 50 of them would still get sick). At 28 days the second, booster shot is given, which improves the immunity to around 95% (100 people in a room exposed to the virus, only 5 of them will get sick, statistically anyway). No one has received the second shot yet, as far as I know.

It's a slow roll, we won't start seeing drastic improvements for a few more months, once mass-vaccination among the general population starts taking place. But as I've said before, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Things should be looking pretty good by the summer I would imagine.

I have another actual genuine question that maybe you can answer. Wearing masks when out in public, washing your hands, sanitizing your hands, social distancing (staying 6ft away from others) and no physical contact. Doing these things doesn't guarantee that you won't get COVID right? It just makes the chance of someone getting the Coronavirus extremely low?

57 minutes ago, anticoronaperson said:

I have another actual genuine question that maybe you can answer. Wearing masks when out in public, washing your hands, sanitizing your hands, social distancing (staying 6ft away from others) and no physical contact. Doing these things doesn't guarantee that you won't get COVID right? It just makes the chance of someone getting the Coronavirus extremely low?

I’ve regularly done all of those things and still got it. I have no idea how or where I got it. 

6 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I’ve regularly done all of those things and still got it. I have no idea how or where I got it. 

Yeah so it doesn't guarantee that you won't get it. It just makes your chances of getting it lower. I'm sorry that you got the Coronavirus. Do you still have it or do you not have it anymore?

11 hours ago, anticoronaperson said:

No guarantees, but it greatly reduces your chances of contracting the virus. COVID-19 is pretty contagious, so there's always a risk even if you think you're taking all the precautions in the world. All it takes is touching a contaminated surface and not immediately washing your hands and then touching your face or something like that to get infected. 

4 hours ago, anticoronaperson said:

Yeah so it doesn't guarantee that you won't get it. It just makes your chances of getting it lower. I'm sorry that you got the Coronavirus. Do you still have it or do you not have it anymore?

I still have a lingering cough, that comes and goes, but according to the CDC, I’m likely not contagious anymore. As I’ve said before, I didn’t have the severe symptoms. I’ve always been a regular user of hand sanitizers, washing hands, etc, and don’t generally get sick very often. 

1 hour ago, ButterflyEffect said:

No guarantees, but it greatly reduces your chances of contracting the virus. COVID-19 is pretty contagious, so there's always a risk even if you think you're taking all the precautions in the world. All it takes is touching a contaminated surface and not immediately washing your hands and then touching your face or something like that to get infected. 

Okay that's great to know.

46 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I still have a lingering cough, that comes and goes, but according to the CDC, I’m likely not contagious anymore. As I’ve said before, I didn’t have the severe symptoms. I’ve always been a regular user of hand sanitizers, washing hands, etc, and don’t generally get sick very often. 

I'm glad that it's not contagious anymore. I hope you feel better from your lingering cough.

I touched on this before, but it’s worth mentioning again to illustrate just how contagious this virus is. As of today, there have been 417,832 confirmed cases in Minnesota. Estimates by the state and the CDC have put the actual number of infected in the state at as many as 10X that number, which would be approximately 4.17 million. The population of Minnesota is 5.64 million. If the estimates are correct, it would mean roughly 74% of the people in the state have been infected. I’ve seen national estimates of the true number of infected anywhere from 6-8 times the number of confirmed cases. Even if they estimated high for Minnesota, it’s still a very big number. BTW, we’ve had a strict mask mandate since July. There’s no hiding from it, unless you lock yourself in your house. If you don’t catch it, consider yourself lucky. 

GBeFdBX.png

Edited by TeamAudra

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I touched on this before, but it’s worth mentioning again to illustrate just how contagious this virus is. As of today, there have been 417,832 confirmed cases in Minnesota. Estimates by the state and the CDC have put the actual number of infected in the state at as many as 10X that number, which would be approximately 4.17 million. The population of Minnesota is 5.64 million. If the estimates are correct, it would mean roughly 74% of the people in the state have been infected. I’ve seen national estimates of the true number of infected anywhere from 6-8 times the number of confirmed cases. Even if they estimated high for Minnesota, it’s still a very big number. BTW, we’ve had a strict mask mandate since July. There’s no hiding from it, unless you lock yourself in your house. If you don’t catch it, consider yourself lucky. 

GBeFdBX.png

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

GBeFdBX.png

I think the majority of people who have had it do have some symptoms though even if relatively mild. I think completely asympotomatic is the minority. Unless people just think its the common cold and dont get tested but that hasnt been my feeling

27 minutes ago, sneaky said:

I think the majority of people who have had it do have some symptoms though even if relatively mild. I think completely asympotomatic is the minority. Unless people just think its the common cold and dont get tested but that hasnt been my feeling

Here’s an article from November stating the CDC estimates the national number of actual cases is 8X the number of reported cases. A few days ago, I saw a state by state breakdown from the CDC, which had Minnesota at 10X, but I can’t find it right now. The state had estimated 10X previously. Earlier in the summer state officials were throwing out crazy numbers like up to 100X, but that obviously can’t be true. I would imagine certain segments of the population are either less likely to seek out testing, think it’s just a common cold, or don’t have any symptoms. In my case, it felt like a common cold, but I knew I had to get tested anyway. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/11/26/939365087/government-model-suggests-u-s-covid-19-cases-could-be-approaching-100-million

8 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Here’s an article from November stating the CDC estimates the national number of actual cases is 8X the number of reported cases. A few days ago, I saw a state by state breakdown from the CDC, which had Minnesota at 10X, but I can’t find it right now. The state had estimated 10X previously. Earlier in the summer state officials were throwing out crazy numbers like up to 100X, but that obviously can’t be true. I would imagine certain segments of the population are either less likely to seek out testing, think it’s just a common cold, or don’t have any symptoms. In my case, it felt like a common cold, but I knew I had to get tested anyway. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/11/26/939365087/government-model-suggests-u-s-covid-19-cases-could-be-approaching-100-million

I think it's these three things, as well as false negatives and incomplete reporting.

This video came across my reccomended in Youtube. I wanted to comment on something like this before it gets spread

I'm not even in the sciences but I know a physician can never say "If you do X you will NOT get sick". A doctor can never speak in 100% terms about health because nothing is ever CERTAIN. Something fishy

On 1/2/2021 at 10:50 AM, ButterflyEffect said:

I got a question for you again. Do you know how long it will until it’s not just people 65 and older who are allowed to get the COVID vaccine?

3 minutes ago, anticoronaperson said:

I got a question for you again. Do you know how long it will until it’s not just people 65 and older who are allowed to get the COVID vaccine?

I'm unsure, it's really going to depend on where you live, and how the rollout is going there. So far, both in Canada and the USA, it seems that vaccine rollout has been a lot slower than was anticipated, so it could still be months away.

44 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

I'm unsure, it's really going to depend on where you live, and how the rollout is going there. So far, both in Canada and the USA, it seems that vaccine rollout has been a lot slower than was anticipated, so it could still be months away.

Do you know how long it would be in the United States or no? I’m from the United States of America.  I should have been specific with which country.

12 minutes ago, anticoronaperson said:

Do you know how long it would be in the United States or no? I’m from the United States of America.  I should have been specific with which country.

I'm Canadian so I'm not sure. The USA has a much larger population which makes vaccination more of a challenge, however they do have more doses of the vaccines to offset that. If I were to take a guess, I would imagine early-mid spring, but even that is just an uneducated guess.

10 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

I'm Canadian so I'm not sure. The USA has a much larger population which makes vaccination more of a challenge, however they do have more doses of the vaccines to offset that. If I were to take a guess, I would imagine early-mid spring, but even that is just an uneducated guess.

Well it sounds like a good guess to me. Also, why is vaccination more of a challenge? Is it because of the fact that it could take a long time before everyone can get the COVID vaccine?

1 hour ago, anticoronaperson said:

Well it sounds like a good guess to me. Also, why is vaccination more of a challenge? Is it because of the fact that it could take a long time before everyone can get the COVID vaccine?

Any mass vaccination process will pose a challenge. The USA has a population of nearly 330 million people, even if only 70% of the population gets vaccinated that's still a lot of people. 

• 2 weeks later...

^ You want to see something more sustained, but Ontario's 7-day average has at least decreased four days in a row. It doesn't feel like the new "lockdown" parametres will change much themselves, but the fanfare around them might make people a bit more cautious I guess.

Quebec has an 8pm - 5am lockdown with $1,000 to $6,000 fines now. That is a big ask.

Edited by RWG