COVID-19 Discussion 😷

Rate this topic

istersay

Bad news hoping for herd immunity. New paper published in Nature Med. followed a group of people who had tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, including some asymptomatic individuals. The findings:

- Antibodies produced by the body during infection slowly decrease in concentration in the months after
- Some asymptomatic people individuals has antibody levels decrease to the point where they were not detectable. 

If antibody concentrations decrease then that's a problem, and open up the risk of people catching COVID-19 more than once. 

Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6.pdf

Only one paper, so take it with a grain of salt. Like any study, its merit will come when others find the same results. However, Nature Medicine is a very, very good journal so the research methods and findings are sound.

Another reason why comparisons to the common flu aren't apt: this is a NOVEL virus and we still don't know much about it, including what the long-term effects of getting it could be.

^

Back in March or April, when they first said loss of sense of smell often precedes other symptoms, I imagined that I was losing mine more than once, and took my temperature a few times!. That turned out to be all in my head, unless I was an asymptomatic carrier (probably not). I’m sure I’m not the only one who has imagined symptoms that didn’t exist. 

Edited by TeamAudra

^ We all misdiagnose ourselves. Not just during the pandemic. I too was obsessed with whether I was able to smell certain things for a bit.

My boss's husband has no sense of smell or taste as a symptom from a head injury. It takes a lot of joy out of life.

From a Managing Partner and General Counsel or a company that owns and operates 13 emergency clinics in Texas. 

Lots of positive tests...mostly mild cold or allergy-like symptoms that resolve within 2-3 days....they’re often given antibiotics and a steroid shot, and sent on their way. By the time they have follow-up calls, most of the patients are no longer experiencing symptoms. 

Very few hospital transfers. Average hospital stay is 3-5 days, much shorter than a couple months back. These patients mostly have mild symptoms and are not ending up in the ICU. 

About 1/2 of those showing up for a test were sent in by their employer, due to a cough or sneeze. These are mostly mild symptoms as well. 

Most of those in ICU patients are sick with something other than Covid. They didn’t come in earlier, because they were scared, and now they’re really sick. From multiple sources at hospitals, there is no shortage of acute care beds. 

It’s worth a read. 

Edited by TeamAudra

3 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Florida Governor is about to kill a lot of people. 

They need a shut down. 

Well, he did shut down the bars, and they don’t currently have a hospital bed shortage. The next week or two will be telling. 

Speaking of bars, check out this moronic tweet. Every time you take a sip, you’re going to take the mask off, and put it back on? With your f*cking dirty hands? OK....

1 hour ago, mercfan3 said:

Minnesota opened bars? 

Just stupid.

summer is going to be worse for this country than March was.

Imma need y’all to stay the F out of New England. (Yes, you too New Yorkers). 

This, especially my state. We're kicking butt, we don't need anything to screw this up. We're already reopening at a snail's pace lol 

2 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Minnesota opened bars? 

Just stupid.

summer is going to be worse for this country than March was.

Imma need y’all to stay the F out of New England. (Yes, you too New Yorkers). 

Yes, about a month ago. Here’s our daily situation update. 

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

Edited by TeamAudra

Did Sweden simply get it over with, while neighboring countries are delaying the inevitable? Time will tell. 

I think it’s likely that either the virus has weakened, or better treatment options have kept more patients alive, or both. I suspect we’re also doing a better job of protecting the elderly...especially those in nursing homes. 

Edited by TeamAudra

1 hour ago, bswanson said:

yeah I can see Texas and Flordia their Govoners never really took it serious. but Cali did one of the first to shut down, the spikes there are kinda surprising 

California has been a slow roll followed by a moderate yet noticeable uphill trend recently. The other two states were steady with daily new cases for quite some time and are now absolutely exploding.