COVID-19 Discussion 😷

Rate this topic

istersay

NBA suspends season after Utah Jazz player tests positive for coronavirus

PUBLISHED WED, MAR 11 20209:36 PM EDTUPDATED 19 MIN AGO

The National Basketball Association has suspended its season after a Utah Jazz player tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus, the league announced Wednesday night.

The NBA said the report that the player tested positive came in shortly before the Jazz were scheduled to play the Oklahoma City Thunder Wednesday. The game, which was to be held in Oklahoma City, was canceled before it could start. Fans were told to leave the arena.

However, the NBA also said the Jazz player who tested positive for COVID-19 was not in the arena.

“The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of tonight’s schedule of games until further notice,” the league’s statement said. “The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.”

According to the official NBA injury report, Jazz players Rudy Gobert and Emmanuel Mudiay were both listed as out of Wednesday’s game due to “illness.” The NBA’s statement did not confirm whether or not Gobert or Mudiay tested positive for COVID-19.

5 minutes ago, istersay said:

was said on a show tonight 70 to 150 million in the US could get the virus, anyone else freaked out? ghosting.gif

I heard that too. China and South Korea are already reporting fewer new cases per day, so I’m going to remain more optimistic than whoever said that. 

Hopefully, warmer weather will help too. We’re likely at least a year away from a vaccine. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Just now, istersay said:

a year, yikes, I hope DRs are working furiously on it

It’s usually at least a year and a half, but some of the red tape has been removed by the feds to speed up the process. They still have to test it on animals and then humans, plus lots of red tape. 

20 hours ago, istersay said:

maybe a dumb question, but once you have it, and then it subsides are you immune after?

just read that patients who recover from coronavirus testing positive again 

Tired Mondays GIF by moodman

I don't think the doctors know enough about it yet to say. The people who recovered then tested positive again probably just relapsed from the first infection and didn't actually get infected a second time.

2 minutes ago, RWG said:

I don't think the doctors know enough about it yet to say. The people who recovered then tested positive again probably just relapsed from the first infection and didn't actually get infected a second time.

it's shocking how fast this has spread, and we won't even know how bad it is until we have testing available for everyone 

the US has moved up on the list for number of cases

Country/Region     Cases    Deaths    Recoveries
Total    125,865    4,615    67,003

China    80,921    3,161    61,644
Italy    12,462    827    1,045
Iran    9,000    354    2,959
South Korea    7,755    60    288
France    2,284    48    12
Spain    2,277    54    183
Germany    1,908    3    25
U.S.    1,281    36    8
Diamond Princess cruise ship    696    7    325
Switzerland    652    4    4
Japan    639    15    118
Norway    598    0    1
Netherlands    503    5    0
Sweden    500    1    1
U.K.    459    8    19
Denmark    444    0    1
Belgium    314    3    1
Qatar    262    0    0
Austria    246    0    4

Sophie Gregoire, Justin Trudeau's wife, has tested positive for the coronavirus. The prime minister is also in quarantine...

The situation in the US is an outrage--it is a scandal--but people should just focus on sanitizing and social distancing as much as possible to give healthcare workers a fighting chance. When we're through the worst of it, then deal with the political stuff.

Man I tried to go to the supermarket today. People have gone batshit crazy, Horde of people, unending line everywhere.  I did a 180 and left. When to a local small shop instead nobody there. I could buy my stuff in peace without getting infected by the huge crowd :no: