idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
Idol Maniac

TIP Exclusive: AI18 Impacted By COVID19

On 3/12/2020 at 6:21 PM, Elliott said:

They can barely get testing stations in hospitals, do you really think ABC is going to invest in getting them in the studios? :rofl: 

They have bathrooms with running water, hand sanitizing stations would help. hire first responder's if need to.

Posted (edited)

The situation is getting worse. I really felt bad for the contestants this season. Just wait for the official announcement  of postponing  the live shows for months.

However, the norwegian Idol is still going to make the first live show of the new season happen this friday.

Edited by iloveadam

22 hours ago, wgm said:

They have bathrooms with running water, hand sanitizing stations would help. hire first responder's if need to.

First responders are stretched as is with this epidemic. 

Let's put things in perspective - Idol is nothing but a cheesy TV show.  Heath and safety should always rule.

People have the right to go if they want to, it should be not up to the government to tell people what to do or where to go, it's Unconsitunal

This discussion makes it sound like it’s up to the producers. The only ones who got to cancel were those who did so before they were required to by law. By the time live shows would be starting, the decision will be out of their hands.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, wgm said:

People have the right to go if they want to, it should be not up to the government to tell people what to do or where to go, it's Unconsitunal

The government absolutely  can tell you what to do, and where to go in a state or national emergency. You can sue the government, and argue the actions are unconstitutional, but you will lose. But, these decisions are likely going to continue to be made by ABC unless things get really dire. 

Edited by TeamAudra

14 hours ago, wgm said:

They literally already do?

The Voice UK 2020 live shows 'to air without a studio audience'.

https://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/the-voice/437547-the-voice-uk-2020-live-shows-to-air-without-a-studio-audience.html

Just saw it, even though the situation is totally different in the UK.  And Norwegian Idol is going to do it as well.

So there's still hope for AI to continue without audience? 

There wont be any live shows.  The public is aware.  They won't put up with anything that eclipses they're situation.  The public gives celebs a break but not in this situation.  When the public can finally go out and enjoy freedom to roam they'll give Idol some room to maneuver - until then AI is stuck in the same mode as the public - and if they try to slide and travel (by private jet) they will get ridiculed mercilessly. This is not one of those times when celebs get a break.

• Like 1

yall are acting like u want it to be cancelled jeez. the pessimistic vibes here are toxiccc

Most of the people in here are delusional. This season is obviously going to be cancelled. And the Coronavirus is expected to last months at least which means there won’t be auditions which means this show is NOT coming back next year either. Face it. American Idol is done for good this time. 

9 minutes ago, mikeyace16 said:

Most of the people in here are delusional. This season is obviously going to be cancelled. And the Coronavirus is expected to last months at least which means there won’t be auditions which means this show is NOT coming back next year either. Face it. American Idol is done for good this time. 

i don't think it'll get cancelled, if anything they're saving money by having an off season lol

36 minutes ago, holinessss said:

46 minutes ago, mikeyace16 said:

So you’re saying that every show with a live show format will be done?! Lol. Idol will survive as will others. It’ll just be a while. Could be a full year before it returns. I don’t think it’s done for good

15 hours ago, Blirel said:

So you’re saying that every show with a live show format will be done?! Lol. Idol will survive as will others. It’ll just be a while. Could be a full year before it returns. I don’t think it’s done for good

The big difference is that Idol is very expensive to produce and the ratings aren't any better when FOX cancelled it.   There's also the real possibility that not all the judges will want to come back.

35 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

The big difference is that Idol is very expensive to produce and the ratings aren't any better when FOX cancelled it.   There's also the real possibility that not all the judges will want to come back.

Still, we can’t completely give up hope that the show will return.  If not this year, then maybe next year.  But for the sake of the Top 20, I hope that it returns later this year.

I haven't been keeping up with Idol this season except occasionally watching the auditions they post or through MJs blog, but my boyfriend is watching it. I did see the news they are halting production for the time being, as are most live shows now. I think it is absolutely the right move to make for all the contestants, judges, and crew involved. Sending them home to their families until this crisis blows over is the right move. I don't believe at all that it means the show will be canceled. I think they will try to pick it back up in the fall maybe, if that's possible with ABC's schedule, plus schedules of the judges. 

59 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

There's also the real possibility that not all the judges will want to come back.

Their contracts are signed in two year intervals, so they're all signed on for 2021 regardless.

Just squeeze in the live shows in August and September right before the NFL kicks into gear.

25 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Their contracts are signed in two year intervals, so they're all signed on for 2021 regardless.

The "regardless" in this case would be Katy Perry.  Even if she signed a contract, they are not going to enforce it if she decides to not come back after she has her baby.

8 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Yeah but that was back in 2016. Nothing on TV now even gets a 2.0 in the demo. The Masked Singer is the most watched show at a 1.9. Idol has been getting 1.3. Same with The Voice, other than their most recent episode which got a 1.8. 

Still, I won’t be surprised if the show ends because of the problems this pandemic causes the economy. Disney is gonna want to make up their losses somehow. Plus, I can see shows wanting to move away from having big crowds show up to audition and move to social media recruiting only. 

I mean, are we sure there won't be auditions this year? The auditions for this season were later than ever; October and November.

But if they don't have time to do auditions, I propose that they take advantage of the lack of auditions to make Season "19" (really the continuation of Season 18) the type of season Idol's long-time fans really want. Start by airing some recap episodes to remind America about these contestants, then you can either go from 20 to 14 in the same hands-off fashion that you've done throughout the ABC era or go directly into voting like in S4-7/9 and go to 16, but either way, the second week of semifinals goes to 12. Not 10, 12. And solely on America's votes, not this stupid wild card stuff. And once it gets to 12? There are 11 more performance episodes. Not 12 more with the save forced in like in S12-13, and not 5-7 like the ABC era would appear to want. We are going from 12 to 11 to 10 to 9 to 8 to 7 to 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 singers in the Finale.

I bet that if they reported that they were going back to the elimination format of the first 13 seasons, they'd win back a good few fans. Maybe even enough to make them take notice. Probably not, but we can dream.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScarletDevilCCX said:

I bet that if they reported that they were going back to the elimination format of the first 13 seasons, they'd win back a good few fans. Maybe even enough to make them take notice. Probably not, but we can dream.

But you can't go back.  It's been 18 years since the original Idol premiere.  The industry has changed a lot.  The world has changed a lot.  Remember the show was already cancelled by FOX. 

idk which show idol could possibly replace/tag on to during fall/whenever this whole pandemic thing dies down...if they somehow find a way i see them cutting live shows to a couple of weeks like the voice...plz don't 😭

Yeah, if this gets postponed for a long time this season and most likely the show will be cancelled. It really sucks :(