Is the Voice about the Coaches or the contestants?

What really brought us together here in this Idolforum.com The Voice thread to discuss the show?  Is the relatively small number of us who take the time to follow The Voice on this online forum representative of the home viewing audience (HVA)?  If you go to this website there is a poll asking this precise question:  Are watching The Voice for the Coaches or the Contestants?

7 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Great find!  Nick is the man - for the moment.  It also shows Kelly Clarkson's strength across the board doubling up Blake and John.

My original question was Coaches or contestants - and every metric I can find points to the Coaches. 

If anyone can find a similar poll for IDOL I'd love to see it. 

13 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Omg ewwww. I really hope Nick doesn’t come back but I know he will, it’s only been 2 episodes but he’s sooo boring and brings nothing to the panel. Season 17 had a great panel they all just meshed really well and this season is a noticeable difference 

8 minutes ago, Cranberrys said:

Great find!  Nick is the man - for the moment.  It also shows Kelly Clarkson's strength across the board doubling up Blake and John.

My original question was Coaches or contestants - and every metric I can find points to the Coaches. 

If anyone can find a similar poll for IDOL I'd love to see it. 

What poll are you talking about? I must have missed it. 

Edited by TeamAudra
15 minutes ago, Cranberrys said:

A poll that asks the same question about Idol.  Judges or contestants?

Is this the poll you’re talking about? 🤨 

w8jkhWL.png

Edited by TeamAudra

Remember the promo they did a few seasons ago with the show as a 90s sitcom? That was deadly accurate. The show is a warm-hearted comedy with the coaches (and Carson) as the main characters. Most viewers watch for the relationship(s) among the coaches. The contestants are one or two episode guest stars.

• Like 1

This show is 95% about the coaches during the taped rounds, then TPTB put the spotlight on the contestants partially (around 50%) during the live shows. 

As for IDF, most people here take the show like any other reality-TV contest, in which you have favorite contestants and you root for them until their time on the show comes to an end they get an Auf Wiedersehen, the tribe has spoken, they don't get a rose, etc. 

Edited by echoap

i'm pretty sure initially they wanted it to be about the contestants, until those contestants repeatedly keep failing to resonate with america post-show, but now it's ALL about the judges.

edit: it's neither good or bad, but i watch for the talent and prefer to have them showcased more 

Edited by holinessss
21 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

This forum watches for the contestants but I think most viewers watch for the coaches, especially Blake. 

This.

I think the vast majority of us on this site watch for the contestants.

And no, we do not represent the average viewer of the show.  Not by a long shot.

Like others have said, TPTB know the average viewer treats these contestants like tv show characters and couldn't care less about them once the season is over. So they've adapted and revolved the show around the coaches, which for the most part has kept viewers coming back each season. 

I watch and have always watched to discover new talent but the sad reality is that no matter how good said contestant may be their chances of making it in the music industry off one of these shows is slim to none. They just get stuck in dead-end record deals with labels that have no interest in investing time and money into them.

Posted (edited)

Not often - but - more often than I would have thought the topic of singing competitions comes up in casual settings in my real life.  I posted in another thread recently about an encounter I had about a week ago in an upscale hair salon with my long time (15 years) barber and her co-workers and clients.  I didn't say a word but they chatted on and on about The Voice coaches & who their favorites were the whole time I was there.  I was at a party just a few nights ago and there was a raging discussion about the Masked Singer - 100% about the contestants - no judge was even mentioned.  I was in Houston a few weeks ago and there was a random conversation on a morning radio show about the Kellyoke segments Kelly sings on her talk show but also the whole morning show team of 4 or 5 people went on a long diatribe about Kelly's incredible vocal talent and role as an all-around entertainer on The Voice.  On the very few occasions I've overheard conversations about Idol they've almost exclusively been about someones favorite contestant.  I honestly can't remember overhearing a casual conversation about the Judges on American Idol since Simon, Paula, and Randy left.

I watch The Voice for the comedy and chemistry between the Coaches first - and second for the chemistry between the Coaches and their teams. 

Honestly - I don't watch for or expect The Voice to discover great talent.  For my personal entertainment value the contestants are seasonal "minor" guest stars in a Reality/Improv/Comedy Show starring Kelly Clarkson, Blake Shelton, John Legend, and Nick Jonas. I laugh more at The Voice than any sitcom I've ever watched.  So - for me it's all about the quick wit and natural humor that makes me laugh - puts me in a good mood, and leaves me smiling & happy after every episode.

Edited by Cranberrys

I watch for the Contestants, it's nice to have coaches I like though, so I don't skip seasons m0533.gif