Todd Tilghman Fan Thread

Summer Overby

20 minutes ago, Archanium said:

That's awesome, so much support and love for Todd. Hopefully all this amount of support will translate well into votes. 

Team Blake + will likely sing 90s country + from the South (the part of the country where the show is the most popular) = good shot at the public vote. His biggest barrier's going to be the age factor (the oldest winner is Josh Kaufman at 38, and Todd's in his early 40s) since the public tends to go for the teenagers or artists in their late 20s/early 30s unless the contestant brings something unique to the table - ie, Katie Kadan's combo of eclectic style, deep voice, and power last go-around or Sundance's ability to flip songs and make them work for him even if they weren't necessarily country/Southern rock.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VintageVoice said:

Team Blake + will likely sing 90s country + from the South (the part of the country where the show is the most popular) = good shot at the public vote. His biggest barrier's going to be the age factor (the oldest winner is Josh Kaufman at 38, and Todd's in his early 40s) since the public tends to go for the teenagers or artists in their late 20s/early 30s unless the contestant brings something unique to the table - ie, Katie Kadan's combo of eclectic style, deep voice, and power last go-around or Sundance's ability to flip songs and make them work for him even if they weren't necessarily country/Southern rock.

Huh, I didn't realize there has been no winners over the age of 40 on this show.

Also, I don't know why, but I have a feeling Todd isn't gonna sing country for the Playoffs.... just a gut feeling.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Huh, I didn't realize there has been no winners over the age of 40 on this show.

Also, I don't know why, but I have a feeling Todd isn't gonna sing country for the Playoffs.... just a gut feeling.

Also of note, the two finalists who've made it in their forties were Red Marlow (who auditioned at 40 for S13) and the late Beverly McCllelan (who was 41 when she auditioned for S1). If either Todd or Toneisha makes it, they'd be the oldest finalists/potentially the oldest winners at 41 and 44, respectively.

As for song choice, I'm not sold on Todd doing country in the Playoffs but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened either.

• Like 2

I was able to make it to the parade too. Yesterday. It was alot of fun. Since Todd's is jam packed and constantly changing schedule we had to change it to Saturday it was for Sunday orginally and was suppose to be alot more people attending but with the short notice change not as many were able to come but still a good turnout. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Summer Overby said:

I was able to make it to the parade too. Yesterday. It was alot of fun. Since Todd's is jam packed and constantly changing schedule we had to change it to Saturday it was for Sunday orginally and was suppose to be alot more people attending but with the short notice change not as many were able to come but still a good turnout. 

Yay, glad you got to visit him! I assume y'all practiced social distancing while you're there? Also, is that a TV camera I saw running around the area? 👀

12 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

As for song choice, I'm not sold on Todd doing country in the Playoffs but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened either.

Honestly, nothing about his performances so far struck me as country, even the country songs, so it puzzles me why people are categorizing him as a country artist. He's clearly a soul singer, with maybe a little bit of southern rock thrown in there.

Edited by mjdolorico

4 hours ago, mjdolorico said:

Honestly, nothing about his performances so far struck me as country, even the country songs, so it puzzles me why people are categorizing him as country artist. He's clearly a soul singer, with maybe a little bit of southern rock thrown in there.

I agree with the assessment you've made, but I think the whole "he's country" label comes with mentioning exactly once on the show that he loves 90s country then choosing a Travis Tritt song for his KO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VintageVoice said:

I agree with the assessment you've made, but I think the whole "he's country" label comes with mentioning exactly once on the show that he loves 90s country then choosing a Travis Tritt song for his KO.

Yes I agree too that once He sang the battle and knockout more country type songs that's what he is getting labeled as but I don't think thats what he sounds like at all either. I just hope they choose to not go too country with this next song. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjdolorico said:

Yay, glad you got to visit him! I assume y'all practiced social distancing while you're there? Also, is that a TV camera I saw running around the area? 👀

Some of the Strict Social Distancing is slowly being loosened but yes for the most part still socail distancing.  Stilll no in person church services etc. Yes that was the news camera man.  https://www.wtok.com/content/news/Family-and-friends-surprise-local-Pastor-with-drive-by-parade-570146741.html

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S10+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

• Like 1

My brain just figured out the previous contestants Todd reminds me of - if you take Josh Kaufman's grit/vocal tone (which is a tad smoother and has a slightly higher falsetto than Todd does) and combine Sundance's soul/southern rock/country-adjacent vibes, you don't quite get Todd but you do get something pretty darn close.

Yes, it did take me three weeks of scouting and binge-watching illegally uploaded previous season clips to come up with this, thanks for asking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

My brain just figured out the previous contestants Todd reminds me of - if you take Josh Kaufman's grit/vocal tone (which is a tad smoother and has a slightly higher falsetto than Todd does) and combine Sundance's soul/southern rock/country-adjacent vibes, you don't quite get Todd but you do get something pretty darn close.

Yes, it did take me three weeks of scouting and binge-watching illegally uploaded previous season clips to come up with this, thanks for asking.

I can see the resemblances too, and I also hear a little of Rod Stokes. Talking about falsettos, where did you hear Todd using it? I've been wondering how his falsetto sounds for a long time and couldn't find one. 

2 minutes ago, Archanium said:

I can see the resemblances too, and I also hear a little of Rod Stokes. Talking about falsettos, where did you hear Todd using it? I've been wondering how his falsetto sounds for a long time and couldn't find one. 

Okay, so maybe it was techincally still his mixed voice, but he does hit a few notes that appear toward the higher end of his range in "Ghost in this House" - it's got a scratchier quality to it that Josh has less of in the similar part of his voice. 

And Rod Stokes is also an apt comparison, I didn't think of that but it's a solid one I'm still 1% annoyed Kelly didn't give Rod that fourth chair but I'm biased because I love that BeeGees song.

25 minutes ago, Summer Overby said:

Not sure if you can view this video but here is Brooke showing Todd's Voice setup at the church. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157225683238027&id=659433026

I couldn't view the video, but is this how the setup looks like? (Edit : I could view the video from the FB group )

Edited by Archanium
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Okay, so maybe it was techincally still his mixed voice, but he does hit a few notes that appear toward the higher end of his range in "Ghost in this House" - it's got a scratchier quality to it that Josh has less of in the similar part of his voice. 

And Rod Stokes is also an apt comparison, I didn't think of that but it's a solid one I'm still 1% annoyed Kelly didn't give Rod that fourth chair but I'm biased because I love that BeeGees song.

Ah, I see, yes I think that was his mixed voice, it was definitely sound chestier than what Josh usually does in that range. 

And same, I love that song too, but I usually listen more to the Michael Bolton's cover of that song.  

Wow. I missed a lot!

So so excited looking at the church set up, it looks so good! I hope he'll sound good with the church acoustics! They even have a band! I wonder if that's for set dressing or if Todd will actually get someone to play for him?

I shouldn't be surprised about the pushback from IDF about the setup. I can get annoyed though. I bet they won't bat an eyelash if Joanna or Thunderstorm sang in a church.