Let’s Dance (German DWTS) General Discussion

Ariel1989

16 hours ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

John has pulled out due to an illness in the family and Loiza has been brought back for another chance.

Poor Regina - after the godawful Kerstin last year and and a disappointing series with John this year, she's more than earned a Tijan or Luca next year!

Glad that Loiza gets to come back since she was nowhere near the worst dancer but sad about John, I loved his Viennese Waltz from Week 1 and Regina is such a creative choreographer.  I hope she gets an Ekaterina-level partner next year.  

Christian is sick and won’t be dancing this week, Laura is dancing with Robert instead.  I hope the change doesn’t throw her off too much, she’s been improving week to week.  Also checking out the scores as they’re coming in on Wikipedia and the returning Loiza got a 24 (9,8,7) on her Charleston, her best score by far!

Perfect score for Tijan tonight. Looks like a 2 person race between him and Lili for the MBT. Not sure why Luca's scores are fairly low given that he is quite a large ringer, I'm beginning to think that he won't make the finale at this rate. Moritz has had some decent routines and seems to be the "journey contestant", I could see him finishing 3rd.

Ulrike & Valentin went home which is fair enough, she did well to make it this far. Another point I'll make - Valentin is 30 years younger than Ulrike and got her to Week 6 - once again proof that SCD does NOT need Anton to "dance with the older ladies" like his fans always suggest...🙄

Next show is in 2 weeks because they are taking a break for the Easter holidays. Seems bizarre to me to be doing that anyway, but a downright stupid idea given that we're in the middle of a pandemic and things are unpredictable anyway. No time for 2 week breaks if there is a chance that the show might eventually not be allowed to run.

Edited by DWTSFan2001

• 2 weeks later...

Loiza went home again tonight.

Perfect scores for Lili & Moritz. Bad night for Tijan who had his lowest score yet (18) and Ilka was at the bottom of the leaderboard.

Lili now has an average score of 26.8/30 and still has several more dances to go, could easily end up being Ella Endlich 2.0 at this rate and without a doubt will be the 2nd highest ever scorer. Just a shame that she didn't get a pro who'd never had a contender before or has had a number of middlers/duds. I just find the favouritism of Massimo to be unfair to all of the other male pros. Considering how good Lili is, someone else really deserved the chance to dance with her.

Edited by DWTSFan2001
  • Like 1

Martin went home this week. Credit to him, seemed as if he gave it his best and improved. Nice to see Marta make it to the latter half of the competition this time for once but she needs a ringer next time. If I were a pro and had no contenders in 5 series, I would probably quit.

How is Ilka still around? Scoring 12/30 in Week 8 isn't good at all. IMO, there should be a rule that if a celeb is bottom of the leaderboard for 3 consecutive weeks, the judges should be able to eliminate them on the spot. Would have saved us a LOT of grief on the other versions, especially DWTS US.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ariel1989 said:

Ilka is finally out!

About time, sadly about 3/4 weeks too late - her total score was lower than anyone's individual scores (21 total for Ilka, 23 for Moritz's 1st dance). 10/30 in the quarter final is shocking.

On the plus side, a fantastic Top 4 this year. Any of them would be worthy winners. I love that it is now a proper competition as it is pretty rare these days to not have someone rubbish still in at the semi-final or even final on these shows.

Who do you want to win @Ariel1989?

Edited by DWTSFan2001

I would love to see Tijan & Katherin win.  Katherin (as well as Marta) is like the Emma Slater of Let’s Dance, she’s a past champ but rarely, if ever, gets contenders and Tijan feels too good to not win.  

I also like Moritz & Renata and Luca & Christina and wouldn’t be upset if they won, especially since this is both Renata and Christina’s first time in the semifinals. Renata has had some bad luck with being eliminated first and her first partner withdrew while Christina in her debut season had her first partner withdraw, danced with her new and contender-partner for four weeks and then had to sit out herself due to injury while he made the semifinals without her.  

Lili is the higher-scoring dancer but she’s just yet another good contender dancing with Massimo and that makes it hard to root for her.  I’m normally very pro-female contender but if they’re with a pro I’m not totally over the moon about, (like Lottie & Pasquale in Ireland) I don’t really want them to win as much as I usually do.  Pros like Robert rarely if ever get contenders and Massimo gets one almost every year, he’s never challenged.  Look at Valentin, last year he had Ella who received the highest average score in the show’s history and this year he had Ulrike who was significantly less-skilled than Ella but he still showcased her really well.  Massimo hasn’t been challenged like that.  

Next week is going to be an exciting semifinal, reminds me of last season’s American DWTS where the obvious weak link makes their long overdue exit in the quarterfinals, leaving a strong group of semi-finalists.  I just hope that doesn’t mean Tijan & Katherin are going to miss out on the final like James & Emma.  

I would love to see Tijan & Katherin win.  Katherin (as well as Marta) is like the Emma Slater of Let’s Dance, she’s a past champ but rarely, if ever, gets contenders and Tijan feels too good to not win.  

I also like Moritz & Renata and Luca & Christina and wouldn’t be upset if they won, especially since this is both Renata and Christina’s first time in the semifinals. Renata has had some bad luck with being eliminated first and her first partner withdrew while Christina in her debut season had her first partner withdraw, danced with her new and contender-partner for four weeks and then had to sit out herself due to injury while he made the semifinals without her.  

Lili is the higher-scoring dancer but she’s just yet another good contender dancing with Massimo and that makes it hard to root for her.  I’m normally very pro-female contender but if they’re with a pro I’m not totally over the moon about, (like Lottie & Pasquale in Ireland) I don’t really want them to win as much as I usually do.  Pros like Robert rarely if ever get contenders and Massimo gets one almost every year, he’s never challenged.  Look at Valentin, last year he had Ella who received the highest average score in the show’s history and this year he had Ulrike who was significantly less-skilled than Ella but he still showcased her really well.  Massimo hasn’t been challenged like that.  

Next week is going to be an exciting semifinal, reminds me of last season’s American DWTS where the obvious weak link makes their long overdue exit in the quarterfinals, leaving a strong group of semi-finalists.  I just hope that doesn’t mean Tijan & Katherin are going to miss out on the final like James & Emma.  

Kathrin has not had it as bad as Emma, that award definitely goes to Marta! She's had quite an interesting mix to say the least. Hans was good (but footballers are hit & miss), Ulli was awful (like Strictly, the reigning pro champ almost always get a dud partner, even Ekaterina initially had a 'dud' in Ingolf), Heinrich was a Paralympian which is a vote winner but usually not enough ability to make the final. I thought that Heiko Lochmann looked better on paper than he turned out whilst Thomas Rath looked like a dud and was actually decent. Quite interesting that many of her partners have looked good on paper and turned out to be bad or vice versa. Glad that she finally lucked out with an obvious contender this time.

Moritz seems like the average SCD winner as he's the 'journey' contestant that ended up being surprisingly good. Certainly better than Ingolf and no worse than Pascal so would certainly be worthy. Also would be cool for Renata to go from first out one year to champion the next year. Luca wasn't as good as I initially thought he'd be but he seems to have really ramped it up over the past few weeks. After having to drop out in 2017 (must have been really tough watching from the sidelines), glad that Christina has finally had her shot to go far.

As good as Ekaterina was (and I hope she comes back next year), it's refreshing to see some different female pros make the Top 5, she was there every year bar 1 (where she was ironically out first!)

As for Lili, I am very pro-ringer so would love for her to win but the idea of Massimo walking away with two trophies despite not getting a single duffer in 11 series bothers me. At a push, he had an Ilka type in 2013 (Manuela Wisbeck) but that's it. Christian has two trophies and to be fair, isn't that far behind Massimo, he also doesn't get much duds. Both of them were partnered with female celebs young enough to be their daughters this year whilst the younger guys like Robert, Nikita and Valentin all got celebs 20+ years older - found that extremely odd.

Nice comparison to the DWTS28 semifinals. I do think that they wanted a female to win last season and James was the most likely threat hence why they pushed him out in the semis. I can't see the same happening with Tijan. Fingers crossed.

Yep I meant to say Marta as well if not more.  I thought both Massimo and Christian looked older than Lili or Laura but didn’t know how much older until I looked them up, kind of icky.  It’s like pairing Anton du Beke with Georgia May Foote.  Nikita and Valentin haven’t been on long enough to determine their track record of contenders/duffers but I would think someone as young as Robert would constantly get contenders.  AJ Pritchard was pretty lucky with the draw since he was so young (maybe not Lauren but she was still young and athletic) and Alan Bersten is pretty much the new Derek Hough/Val Chmerkovskiy with three young contenders in four seasons.  Why is it different in Germany 🤔

15 hours ago, Ariel1989 said:

Yep I meant to say Marta as well if not more.  I thought both Massimo and Christian looked older than Lili or Laura but didn’t know how much older until I looked them up, kind of icky.  It’s like pairing Anton du Beke with Georgia May Foote.  Nikita and Valentin haven’t been on long enough to determine their track record of contenders/duffers but I would think someone as young as Robert would constantly get contenders.  AJ Pritchard was pretty lucky with the draw since he was so young (maybe not Lauren but she was still young and athletic) and Alan Bersten is pretty much the new Derek Hough/Val Chmerkovskiy with three young contenders in four seasons.  Why is it different in Germany 🤔

I don't know if AJ had much of a better draw than Robert (I can't really compare the two shows but just looking purely at their partners on paper). Whilst Robert has had two middle aged women in a row now, his first 3 partners were all in their 20's with differing degrees of dance ability (one finalist, one mid-table and one was out early) - not too different from AJ who has had 4 younger women in a row, some who were decent and some who weren't. Due to the continued participation of Anton (and Brendan until 2017), very few of the SCD male pros have had any actual duffers so I wouldn't single out AJ. Giovanni is a better comparison as he's around the same age as Robert and has had two mega ringers (Debbie & Faye) in 5 years alongside 2 others with strong potential (Georgia & Michelle).

Massimo chose Lili as his partner since he won the pro challenge so that explains their pairing (seems a bit icky that he chose someone 17 years younger and not a celeb closer to his own age). Maybe Laura requested Christian? I'd have thought for sure that she was getting Nikita. That said, I think that Nikita would have struggled with a good partner, I've seen male celebs with far better ballroom technique than him. Whilst he has a good latin competing record, he's never competed in ballroom and it's clear that he has very little, if any, training in it. He should hopefully take some tips from his sister who won the Italian version.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, DWTSFan2001 said:

I don't know if AJ had much of a better draw than Robert (I can't really compare the two shows but just looking purely at their partners on paper). Whilst Robert has had two middle aged women in a row now, his first 3 partners were all in their 20's with differing degrees of dance ability (one finalist, one mid-table and one was out early) - not too different from AJ who has had 4 younger women in a row, some who were decent and some who weren't. Due to the continued participation of Anton (and Brendan until 2017), very few of the SCD male pros have had any actual duffers so I wouldn't single out AJ. Giovanni is a better comparison as he's around the same age as Robert and has had two mega ringers (Debbie & Faye) in 5 years alongside 2 others with strong potential (Georgia & Michelle).

Massimo chose Lili as his partner since he won the pro challenge so that explains their pairing (seems a bit icky that he chose someone 17 years younger and not a celeb closer to his own age). Maybe Laura requested Christian? I'd have thought for sure that she was getting Nikita. That said, I think that Nikita would have struggled with a good partner, I've seen male celebs with far better ballroom technique than him. Whilst he has a good latin competing record, he's never competed in ballroom and it's clear that he has very little, if any, training in it. He should hopefully take some tips from his sister who won the Italian version.

Thanks for all the information, I've only started watching some past seasons but I really like the show so far despite not understanding much German.  I agree that Nikita is really weak in ballroom, his Viennese Waltz choreography was non-existent in terms of Viennese Waltz content.  I looked up both Nikita and his sister on DanceSport and while Anastasia has competed in Latin, Standard and Ten Dance, Nikita has only done Latin.  Of course, only doing one discipline doesn't mean you're not good enough to do other disciplines but given his dancing and choreography, it would do Nikita a lot of good to place some more focus on ballroom if he wants to continue on next season.  

What are your opinions on the other pros if you don't mind me asking?  What do you think of the other newbie pro, Alona?

Edited by Ariel1989

Thanks for all the information, I've only started watching some past seasons but I really like the show so far despite not understanding much German.  I agree that Nikita is really weak in ballroom, his Viennese Waltz choreography was non-existent in terms of Viennese Waltz content.  I looked up both Nikita and his sister on DanceSport and while Anastasia has competed in Latin, Standard and Ten Dance, Nikita has only done Latin.  Of course, only doing one discipline doesn't mean you're not good enough to do other disciplines but given his dancing and choreography, it would do Nikita a lot of good to place some more focus on ballroom if he wants to continue on next season.  

What are your opinions on the other pros if you don't mind me asking?  What do you think of the other newbie pro, Alona?

If I've got to be honest, I don't know much about any of their personalities since the VT's are rarely published online and I don't speak German anyway. From everything I've saw, Alona seemed to do OK for her first season, her partner could do reasonable ballroom but sucked at latin.

I would say that the Lusins (Valentin & Renata) are both great gets for the show since Ella had the highest ever average score last year (clearly means that he's worth his salt as a pro) and Moritz has done very well this year despite not seeming to have any dance background unlike the others in the Top 3 who are all ringers. Kathrin is a standout dancer for sure, she did very well as a competitor and seems like a fun personality plus has choreographed for a wide range of celebs. Marta has created some fun choreo with weak partners and managed to get Martin really far this series. Enough with the duds, she really deserves a ringer. I feel bad for Regina as her last two series have been a mess - whilst I'm gay and in favour of same-sex pairings, only if the celeb is actually invested in dancing and her partner last year didn't seem to care much. Then, John had to withdraw.

Christian and Erich both have two wins and almost always take their celebs far irrespective of ability (Christian hasn't ever finished lower than 8th place) so they clearly are good pros.

I liked Ekaterina when she was on - good choreography and seemed to coach her celebs well although definitely appeared strict. I hope she comes back but she has had enough wins for now.

There is only one pro I don't like much. I've just discovered that he dumped his first wife and got with his celebrity partner who was 11 years his junior and was only 20 years old at the time. They're now married.

Any of this lot that you would want to see on one of the English speaking versions? SCD has never had a German pro and urgently needs a revamp (IMO, nearly half of them need to go) so I would be interested to see one of them here. If Nikita's ballroom was better, I would pick him to replace AJ on Strictly as they will probably need someone to fill the "Teen Idol" niche.

Edited by DWTSFan2001

1 hour ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

If I've got to be honest, I don't know much about any of their personalities since the VT's are rarely published online and I don't speak German anyway. From everything I've saw, Alona seemed to do OK for her first season, her partner could do reasonable ballroom but sucked at latin.

I would say that the Lusins (Valentin & Renata) are both great gets for the show since Ella had the highest ever average score last year (clearly means that he's worth his salt as a pro) and Moritz has done very well this year despite not seeming to have any dance background unlike the others in the Top 3 who are all ringers. Kathrin is a standout dancer for sure, she did very well as a competitor and seems like a fun personality plus has choreographed for a wide range of celebs. Marta has created some fun choreo with weak partners and managed to get Martin really far this series. Enough with the duds, she really deserves a ringer. I feel bad for Regina as her last two series have been a mess - whilst I'm gay and in favour of same-sex pairings, only if the celeb is actually invested in dancing and her partner last year didn't seem to care much. Then, John had to withdraw.

Christian and Erich both have two wins and almost always take their celebs far irrespective of ability (Christian hasn't ever finished lower than 8th place) so they clearly are good pros.

I liked Ekaterina when she was on - good choreography and seemed to coach her celebs well although definitely appeared strict. I hope she comes back but she has had enough wins for now.

There is only one pro I don't like much. I've just discovered that he dumped his first wife and got with his celebrity partner who was 11 years his junior and was only 20 years old at the time. They're now married.

Any of this lot that you would want to see on one of the English speaking versions? SCD has never had a German pro and urgently needs a revamp (IMO, nearly half of them need to go) so I would be interested to see one of them here. If Nikita's ballroom was better, I would pick him to replace AJ on Strictly as they will probably need someone to fill the "Teen Idol" niche.

I can see Alona returning next season, she choreographed for her partner pretty well.  

I like Renata and Valentin too, great choreographers and they seem to be good teachers as well.  The trio Rumba they did with Ella last year was incredible, definitely one of the best trios I’ve ever seen on any DWTS around the world.  

Kathrin is definitely a standout dancer.  Marta is underrated by TPTB, she is long overdue for a ringer.  Poor Regina, she just can’t catch a break.  I knew Kerstin was bad given her scores but it’s even worse to hear that she wasn’t invested and was kept on longer than she deserved.  I had high hopes for John after that lovely Viennese Waltz but then the embarrassingly-bad Jive and eventually having to withdraw.  Regina better get a good one next year.  

Christian and Erich seem like good pros too, I’ve only seen them this season and Erich’s dances with Victoria Swarovski (now the Claudia/Erin of the co-hosts).  

I’ve watched a lot of Ekaterina’s dances, mostly with Gil, Pascal and a couple of Ingolf’s, and she’s definitely someone I would love to see on Strictly or DWTS.  I miss her this year but at the same time, I’m glad the other pros have a chance after her three consecutive wins.  

I know exactly who you’re talking about 😉 the age differences between him and his current wife and him and his current partner are a bit icky (I don’t know what other word to use).  

I’m doing a Best Let’s Dance Routine game on the Games forum if you’re interested in playing, I only have one other voter participating which makes each week of dances take a while to complete.  

1 hour ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

Tijan was eliminated tonight. :(

Who are we shifting support to for the final?

It’s James & Emma all over again 😢 A lot of the recent international DWTS seasons seem to mirror each other.  The weakest dancer gets as far as the quarterfinals (Spicer, Fr. Ray, Ilka) and the male contender just misses out on the final (James, Tijan).  Luckily, if Ireland went ahead with the last week as scheduled, Ryan probably would’ve survived the dance-off since Lottie won based on her score & vote total from that week but then we might have lost Grainne since Aiden was a popular Irish athlete.  I guess with all the similarities to recent seasons, Lili as the only female remains will win just like Hannah, Lottie and Celia from the recent American, Irish and Australian seasons.  Lili is the most consistent dancer left and the disparity between the number of male winners and female winners (7 male, 5 female, last female winner was Victoria Swarovski in season 9 and the last three male winners were with Ekaterina) isn’t as big as say Australia (6 female, 11 male 🙄).  Massimo, on the other hand, hasn’t had much luck; despite his numerous contenders, he’s only won once and most of his contenders either finish 3rd or 4th, even if they have the highest average or higher averages than contestants who finish above them.  

Moritz has been in the bottom two for the past two weeks so unless he gets a boost next week, I think he’ll at least place 2nd if Lili gets knocked out in 3rd like other Massimo partners.  I think Luca has a good shot at winning since singers have a pretty good track record on the show.  I’m not sure who exactly I want to win though, I still have some dances to watch from past weeks. It should be a good final, they really go all-out on the Freestyles over there, especially if they’re inspired by a movie, and I’m looking forward to seeing Christina and Renata’s first Freestyles.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ariel1989 said:

Based on the number of Instagram likes and comments, I’m predicting:

1st: Moritz & Renata

2nd: Luca & Christina

3rd: Lili & Massimo

Not a great final for Luca with him getting 27 in two of his dances. Lili and Moritz both got 3 perfect scores.

Now I just need to keep refreshing Wikipedia to see the result.

The winner is...

Lili & Massimo!!

Congrats to Lili - nice to see another female winner. Now that he finally has his 2nd trophy, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Massimo will leave for greener pastures or finally get a dud next series. If Kevin Clifton was due Anneka Rice after winning and several finals, Massimo is due a Cloris Leachman or Ann Widdecombe!

Edited by DWTSFan2001

Well I was totally off!

3rd: Luca & Christina

2nd: Moritz & Renata

1st: Lili & Massimo

Surprised but happy that Lili won being the only female finalist and she’s also the first female winner since Victoria Swarovski in season 9.  

I hope that now Massimo has his second win, he’ll move on or at least get a duffer next year.