The Official Rankdown Off-Topic Thread

I'm not watching Idol this year but I've just seen... they brought back last year's runner-up?? In a comeback competition which largely consisted of people who didn't make it past top 20?

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, *Lily said:

I'm not watching Idol this year but I've just seen... they brought back last year's runner-up?? In a comeback competition which largely consisted of people who didn't make it past top 20?

3 hours ago, Alex95 said:

WHAT?! :dead:

Yeah, after they did a cut from 12 to 9, they had 10 contestants from S18 compete for a “second chance” slot to make the finals since their season became iPhone Idol. The 10 consisted of 7 semi-finalists, a Top 8-11 eliminee that was the sole wildcard of last year (meaning she went 0-3 on getting America’s votes), the 7th placer… and the runner-up.

It’s a mess.

44 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Yeah, after they did a cut from 12 to 9, they had 10 contestants from S18 compete for a “second chance” slot to make the finals since their season became iPhone Idol. The 10 consisted of 7 semi-finalists, a Top 8-11 eliminee that was the sole wildcard of last year (meaning she went 0-3 on getting America’s votes), the 7th placer… and the runner-up.

It’s a mess.

I feel like I wouldn’t mind the concept of it was all semi-finalists, even if they didn’t have the support before it makes the most sense for them to get a ‘second chance’. The unevenness of it all is just wild though :dead:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, *Lily said:

I feel like I wouldn’t mind the concept of it was all semi-finalists, even if they didn’t have the support before it makes the most sense for them to get a ‘second chance’. The unevenness of it all is just wild though :dead:

This was what the current cast looked like at the end of the show when they announced Arthur in the Top 7 with them:

2021-05-03_0-08-41.jpg

:dead:

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, *Lily said:

Yeah even though I don't like the twist..... I don't mind semi-finalists getting a second chance to come back. And wish that was the case in past seasons. But for a runner-up to get a second chance (even if it was like a 3-week long competition)? SO INSANE. :dead:  

19 hours ago, Elliott said:

This was what the current cast looked like at the end of the show when they announced Arthur in the Top 7 with them:

2021-05-03_0-08-41.jpg

LOL this picture. :dead: 

2021-05-03_0-08-41.jpg

Look at Hunter's face. :dead: He's over here thinking this fool is going to take my spot. :rofl:

• Haha 2

2021-05-03_0-08-41.jpg

This is amazing lmao.

I really don't care about the twist, because I think it was obvious the people who are "losing" "their" "spot" were never gonna win anyway. I don't think Arthur will either, granted I'm really not paying attention to this season, but I'm pretty confident Chayce or Grace are gonna win.

13 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Yeah even though I don't like the twist..... I don't mind semi-finalists getting a second chance to come back. And wish that was the case in past seasons. But for a runner-up to get a second chance (even if it was like a 3-week long competition)? SO INSANE. :dead:  

Semi-finals have been eligible to return in a subsequent season since S10 changed the cut-off period. :haha: We've had semi-finalists return in subsequent seasons (Chase from S11, Kay Kay Alexis from whatever season, some of the 4000 S12 semi/quarter-finalists), they just never made the Top 24 so the show didn't bother showing them. Alyssa Raghu was the first one to actually make the semi-finals in two separate seasons.

8 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Not The Virus doing a two-hour clip show "highlighting" their ten years on the air last night and it almost exclusively being various montages of the coaches. :dead:

Well, that's all they have. :dead: It's not like they have any success stories. :rofl:

9 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Not The Virus doing a two-hour clip show "highlighting" their ten years on the air last night and it almost exclusively being various montages of the coaches. :dead:

That show told me from day one the show was only about the judges, lmao.

10 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Well, that's all they have. :dead: It's not like they have any success stories. :rofl:

Cassadee Pope can be excluded from this narrative. Even if she was already famous before The Voice.

9 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Is there only one girl in that picture left in the comp lol Idol is so pathetic.

There's 2. The one that you can't see is who I think is gonna win, though. She's a rocker btw. 😘

12 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

That show told me from day one the show was only about the judges, lmao.

My favourite is any time I see someone I actually liked from the show in concert and someone else asks them about The Voice, they have zero delays in insulting it. :dead:

• Like 1