Steven's 2019 Music Countdown

Steven_

80. Closer To You - Not necessarily her best song but I do like this one. 

79. Her World Or Mine - I find it hilarious how his song followed Carly's song. I do enjoy this one but I don't really make an effort to listen to his music (or any male country)

78. Imposible - Not really my cup of tea.

77. Sobrenatural - ^^

76. Adicto - ^^ 

75. In My Head - Decent song, not his best though.

74. The Father, My Son, and The Holy Ghost - This song is very powerful

73. Before You Go - Love Lewis and this song! 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

72. Wanted - Not bad but not their best.

71. Catch - I enjoy any music of his and this one ain't exception

70. Broken & Beautiful - Couldn't get into this one, at all.

69. Eres Tú - Nice feel to it but again not my cup of tea.

68. Aleluya - I am sure you know what I will say :haha:

67. Adore You - One of my favourite from his album; it's growing on me

66. London Boy - Not my favourite from her album but it's still a bop

65. Yo Te Extraño - See Aleluya

64. Who Do You Love - Not bad but I don't really like either of them. 
63. Say Goodbye - I think this is my favourite of his.
62. Good To You - Not as good as Say Goodbye but still good.
61. 11 PM - Not really for me but I get its appeal
60. All To Myself - Not my favourite of theirs but still a good song
59. Heartbreak - Didn't really listen to his new material that much but I do like this song.
58. 4 Meses - Don't mind this
57. Duele - Meh.
56. Kinfolks - This song is also growing on me; if I end up doing a 2020 list this might appear on it/. 
55. Confetti - I love Gone West; not my favourite of theirs but its growing on me

54. WHAT IF I NEVER GET OVER YOU – LADY ANTEBELLUM

I’m going to post ten songs again, because I want to get this list completed as soon as possible. The next song to show up is Lady Antebellum’s “What If I Never Get Over You.” This song is reminiscent of their earlier songs, so it was nice to see Lady Antebellum return to songs like this. The story of the song is about worrying you’ll never be able to move on from a broken relationship. The trio sounds great here, and it’s no wonder this song became a hit single for them.

Favorite lyric:
I'm trying, but then I close my eyes
And then I'm right back lost in that last goodbye.

53. POCO A POCO – LUIS FONSI

Luis Fonsi shows up again on this list with “Poco A Poco.” Here’s a short, but sweet love song with a laid-back guitar-driven melody. “Poco A Poco” means “Little By Little.” He’s saying he fell in love little by little. Even with a simple arrangement, Luis delivers a good vocal performance here. The beat alongside the guitar playing makes this quite a catchy song as well. It’s just a nice song with easy replay value.

Favorite lyric:
Poco a poco me enamoré.

52. NO SE VA – MORAT

I featured Morat last year on my list, and here they are again. “No Se Va” translates to “It Doesn’t Go Away.” The song is about a guy missing a girl. He can’t move on since the memory of her doesn’t go away, so he’s asking her to come back and stay with him. I like the arrangement of the song. It just has an easygoing feel to it. The vocals are great too, especially the harmonies in the chorus. I hope people who don’t speak Spanish can still find this song enjoyable.

Favorite lyric:
Quédate otra vez
Que mi corazón no olvida
Un amor así no se olvida
Y no se va.

51. I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE DEVIL – AVRIL LAVIGNE

Avril Lavigne’s “I Fell In Love With The Devil” is a song I didn’t listen to a lot throughout the year, but it’s still one I like enough to rank this high on the list. The song details a toxic relationship Avril has gotten herself into. What I like about the song is the arrangement and Avril’s vocals. The pre-chorus especially stands out, as well as the rousing chorus.

Favorite lyric:
Someone send me an angel
To lend me a halo
I fell in love with the devil
Please, save me from this hell.

50. MISS AMERICANA & THE HEARTBREAK PRINCE – TAYLOR SWIFT

“Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince” was a song that had to grow on me after a few listens to the Lover album. Eventually, I did end up liking the song enough to rank it at this spot on the list. The song has a cool sound to it, and the chorus is one that especially stands out. As for the lyrics, there are political undertones to it. As Taylor explains herself, “The song is about disillusionment with our crazy world of politics and inequality, set in a metaphorical high school. I wanted it to be about finding one person who really sees you and cares about you through all the noise.”

Favorite lyric:
You play stupid games; you win stupid prizes.

49. VUELVE – SEBASTIÁN YATRA, BERET

“Vuelve” was originally released in late 2018, but Sebastián Yatra included this on his 2019 album. So, I figured it’d be eligible for this list too. “Vuelve” translates to “Come Back.” It’s a sad song about wanting someone to return to you. I think I would like this song better if only Sebastián was singing here, but I don’t think Beret ruins the song either. Anyway, the melancholic tone of the lyrics is prevalent in the arrangement, but I like how the song builds. It’s a song that gets better as it progresses. The song comes alive after the end of Beret’s first verse as Sebastián comes back in and sings faster and with more fervor. The buildup continues, especially when Sebastián and Beret sing together, but then it ends softly like how it began. 

Favorite lyric:
Si fuiste mí, si yo fui tuyo, 
¿Por qué?
¿Por qué te alejas? 
¿Por qué el orgullo? No sé.
Dudo que el tiempo pueda borrar esta vez,
El sentimiento de lo que pudo y no fue. 

48. BUY MY OWN DRINKS – RUNAWAY JUNE

I wasn’t familiar with Runaway June until they were one of Carrie Underwood’s opening acts for the Cry Pretty 360 Tour. “Buy My Own Drinks” is a song about a woman going out to a bar alone after a recent breakup. Instead of being sad, she’s proudly embracing her independence and saying she doesn’t need a man to have a good time. It’s a very catchy song, and all of them sound great here too. I think this is their biggest hit so far, and I look forward to seeing where their career goes from here.

Favorite lyric:
I don't need nobody else
Yeah, I can buy my own drinks.

47. DANCING WITH A STRANGER – SAM SMITH, NORMANI

Here’s a song that was released early 2019, so it was one of the first songs I had in mind making it onto this countdown. And here it is at #47. “Dancing With A Stranger” doesn’t have a lot going lyrically as the chorus is short and repetitive; there is no bridge either. Nonetheless, it’s got a cool vibe to it with a catchy beat, and I like what both Sam Smith and Normani bring to the song. I think they could’ve done more lyrically, but it’s still enough to make it an enjoyable listen.

Favorite lyric:
Look what you made me do, I'm with somebody new
Ooh, baby, baby, I'm dancing with a stranger. 

46. TIP OF MY TONGUE – KENNY CHESNEY

There’s a plethora of male country singers on country radio these days, but Kenny Chesney has a voice that’s instantly recognizable. “Tip Of My Tongue” seems to have been his only single in 2019, and it’s a very quintessential Kenny Chesney track. But an interesting fact about this song is that Kenny and a longtime collaborator of his co-wrote this song with Ed Sheeran. It’s a midtempo song with an easygoing and dreamlike feel to it. The chorus is one that really stands out, but I like how Kenny delivers this song from beginning to end.

Favorite lyric:
I wanna love you ‘til my days are done
I wanna tell you that I think that you're the one
Oh, girl, you know when it's all said and done
Everything about you's on the tip of my tongue. 

45. NUNCA ES TARDE – NATALIA JIMÉNEZ, JESÚS NAVARRO

Here’s a collaboration featuring Natalia Jiménez and Jesús Navarro. Jesús is the lead singer of Reik, a band I’ve featured on this list a lot this year. I’ve mentioned how impressive Jesús’s voice is, and he finally sings with someone who can measure up to him vocally on “Nunca Es Tarde.” The soaring vocals from Natalia and Jesús in the chorus is what I like most about this song. I also like the pre-chorus that goes “Yo salto al vacío / Tu fuego es el mío / Contigo me quemaré.” As for the translation, the title means “Never Too Late.” The song is about proclaiming how you’ll always fight for the one you love and never leave them behind.

Favorite lyric:
Voy a vivir por tu amor 
A pelear por tu amor. 

54. What If I Never Get Over You – 
53. Poco A Poco – 
52. No Se Va
51. I Fell In Love With The Devil – 
50. Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince – 

49. Vuelve – 
48. Buy My Own Drinks
47. Dancing With A Stranger
46. Tip Of My Tongue – 
45. Nunca Es Tarde – 

Edited by Steven_

On 2/2/2020 at 11:23 PM, miss denise said:

64. Who Do You Love -  I wouldn't expect you to like this song so much either, but I am glad you do! This is really catchy and I love all the parts of it. :bobo: I heard this a ton on the radio, so I want to say it did pretty well. 
63. Say Goodbye - Oh yay, I get to hear more from him! 😄  I really love his voice and agree his vocals and delivery really sell this song. I'm going to need to listen to more of him on my own because I really like what I've heard here. :yes: 
62. Good To You - Another one! 😄 I must have head this last year, but don't remember it well, so glad I get to hear again here and now. Hearing the two songs back to back, I do think I prefer the previous song, but would have to listen to both several times to know for sure. His voice is just so good on both.
61. 11 PM - This isn't doing much for me on first listen, but could maybe grow on me like it did for you. It's okay for me for now.
60. All To Myself - LOVEE this song. :wub: I completely agree with your comments. I love the infectious, feel good melody of this, and their vocals are perfect as always. :bobo:❤️ 
59. Heartbreak - :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:  Of course I LOVE! :spaz:❤️❤️❤️ I remember you posting this on you music preview last year, and was so happy to see it then, and even more so to see it here on the actual list! I just love the creativity of the lyrics, as he sings about the heartbreak being a positive thing and every one leads him closer and closer. The song is so catchy! I love the whole thing, but the chorus is the best and so addicting. :bobo: Love your comments on this! ❤️ "I hope Denise appreciates seeing this song here." YAY I got a shout-out! bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif :wub: You know I do! :hug::ohyeah:❤️ 

58. 4 Meses - Interesting concept with them singing from their perspective about the girl's situation! 😮 I'm curious to actually understand the lyrics, so too bad I can't. :haha: But I like the feel of this. :bobo:  Oh and some of those guys are cute. :giggle: 
57. Duele - This is also okay for me on first listen. I think the guy's voice I like best is the one you're referring to? At 3:06? I really like that part a lot, but the rest could grow on me. It has a fun sound.
56. Kinfolks - Finally! Well, I guess I can reserve that word for when he actually releases another album. :haha: But yeah, nice to have a new song from him. I love this and agree with all you said about the arrangement and chorus. This sounds like quintessential Sam and I love it.
55. Confetti - Oh yay, I know Gone West too! 😄  Well, I only head one song of theirs so far, but I need to hear more! I love Colbie's voice and the feel of this song is really good and joyful. :bobo: I like it.

64. Really catchy indeed.

63. That's cool you enjoy what you've heard from him so far.

62. That's fair you prefer the other song. Both songs are pretty equal to me.

61. No worries!

60. Yay for agreement!

59. I'm glad you appreciate the shout-out. 😄 And yes, I agree about the creativity of the lyrics and how catchy it is. Yay for liking my comments!

58. As for the lyrics, it's mostly about describing the date they go on. "Por eso fuimos a bailar / Y terminamos en un bar / Yo le agarré la mano / Luego nos besamos / Y los dos nos dejamos llevar" means that they went to go dancing, they ended up in a bar, he grabbed her hand, later they were kissing and then they let themselves get carried away.
57. That's fair. And yes, that's Jesús of Reik singing at that part. I really like his voice.

56. His new album will be out April 3rd! I'm glad we agree about this song too.

55. It must be "What Could've Been," right? That song will be making an appearance on this list too. Yay for liking the joyful feel of this song.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:59 PM, ~Tom~ said:

80. Closer To You - Not my absolute favorite of hers but it's still very good and she keeps growing and getting better. Excited for more from her. 

79. Her World Or Mine - Really like this one, I like his softer ones.

78. Imposible - Luis Fonsi has more than two songs? This is alright I guess but not my taste. 

77. Sobrenatural - Really liking this one on first listen actually; pretty catchy! Alvaro sounds good as well! And yes we were all waiting for an appearance lol. 

76. Adicto - Eh this one was ok. 

75. In My Head - Song is a bit uninteresting but he has a great voice. 

74. The Father, My Son, and The Holy Ghost - I'm not all that familiar with his music despite being a country fan, but this is good on first listen! And if I get obsessed with a song I have no problems ranking it high. 

73. Before You Go - Love this, reminds me of one James Arthur's dark songs like Suicide.

Will catch up on the rest later.

80. I'm also curious to hear more from her as well.

79. That's cool you like this one too.

78. That's fair.

77. I'm glad you think this is catchy!

76. That's fair.

75. At least you think he has a great voice.

74. Yes, this made an impression on me after a first listen too.

73. I can hear the James Arthur similarities.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:21 AM, *Chris said:

88. DOSIS: Not my cup of tea, unfortunately. 

87. Lonely If You Are: This song is okay but not a big fan of male country; better than most of the songs male country release though.

86. Joanna I enjoyed this but not her best

85. Die From A Broken Heart This is a song that grew on me, a lot. I hope them going on tour with Carrie will revamp their career

84. Almost Heaven Stunning song, loved it from the moment I heard it.

83. Calico I enjoy this one. 

82. Runnin' From My Roots This is a nice song but nothing too special

81. Glorious Love Ella and enjoy this song; hope to get a full length album in 2020! 

88. That's fair.

87. Understandable thoughts.

86. I agree.

85. I guess we'll see if it does revamp their career.

84. I remember liking this after his audition too.

83. I'm glad you enjoy this one!

82. That's fair.

81. Hopefully!

On 2/6/2020 at 9:24 AM, *Chris said:

80. Closer To You - Not necessarily her best song but I do like this one. 

79. Her World Or Mine - I find it hilarious how his song followed Carly's song. I do enjoy this one but I don't really make an effort to listen to his music (or any male country)

78. Imposible - Not really my cup of tea.

77. Sobrenatural - ^^

76. Adicto - ^^ 

75. In My Head - Decent song, not his best though.

74. The Father, My Son, and The Holy Ghost - This song is very powerful

73. Before You Go - Love Lewis and this song! 

80. I feel the same way about this song.

79. I get what you mean.

78. That's fair.

77. Fair thoughts again.

76. ^^

75. Understandable.

74. I agree.

73. That's cool!

On 2/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, *Chris said:

72. Wanted - Not bad but not their best.

71. Catch - I enjoy any music of his and this one ain't exception

70. Broken & Beautiful - Couldn't get into this one, at all.

69. Eres Tú - Nice feel to it but again not my cup of tea.

68. Aleluya - I am sure you know what I will say :haha:

67. Adore You - One of my favourite from his album; it's growing on me

66. London Boy - Not my favourite from her album but it's still a bop

65. Yo Te Extraño - See Aleluya

72. I agree.

71. I agree too.

70. That's too bad.

69. Fair enough.

68. Yup, but no worries.

67. That's cool it's one of your favorites.

66. Not one of my most favorites either (she still has more appearances left), but I still like it.

65. That's okay.

On 2/6/2020 at 9:28 AM, *Chris said:

64. Who Do You Love - Not bad but I don't really like either of them. 
63. Say Goodbye - I think this is my favourite of his.
62. Good To You - Not as good as Say Goodbye but still good.
61. 11 PM - Not really for me but I get its appeal
60. All To Myself - Not my favourite of theirs but still a good song
59. Heartbreak - Didn't really listen to his new material that much but I do like this song.
58. 4 Meses - Don't mind this
57. Duele - Meh.
56. Kinfolks - This song is also growing on me; if I end up doing a 2020 list this might appear on it/. 
55. Confetti - I love Gone West; not my favourite of theirs but its growing on me

64. I don't blame you.

63. That's cool.

62. At least you think it's good.

61. At least you get the appeal.

60. It is a good song.

59. I'm glad you like this song.

58. That's cool.

57. Fair enough.

56. Understandable that it had to grow on you.

55. At least it's growing on you!

72. Wanted - I like a good amount of their songs but didn't really care for this. 

71. Catch - I usually love what he puts out and that holds true here. He's doing so well for a relatively new artist. 

70. Broken & Beautiful - Love this one! Kelly usually does no wrong and this is no exception. 

69. Eres Tú - It was ok! Matisse sounds good here. 

68. Aleluya - I guess Manuel's part is from 1:00 to 1:30? I didn't care for that either. Reik sounds decent though. 

67. Adore You - I think his rocker side works better with his voice but this is ok. 

66. London Boy - Love this one, so cute and catchy. One of my faves from Lover. 

65. Yo Te Extraño - It was ok! The only songs I happened to hear from him are Cristina and Fantasia so I'm waiting for those, lol.

54. What If I Never Get Over You – I absolutely love this song; this is probably their best song in years. I loved it from the first time I heard it; I would have it higher than this.
53. Poco A Poco – I somewhat dig this song.
52. No Se Va – This is better than I expected, I really love their voice and the song. 
51. I Fell In Love With The Devil – Not her best song but I do like this one; nice to see her making a comeback
50. Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince – One of my favourite from Lover.

49. Vuleve – I do really like this one; it's a ballad and really showcase his voice. I much prefer latin song as ballad than upbeat, if I am being honest.
48. Buy My Own Drinks – I love this song and I was please to see the success it has but not my favourite from their album.
47. Dancing With A Stranger – Enjoyed this one, a lot. Think this is one of Sam's best in a while. 
46. Tip Of My Tongue – Not the biggest Kenny's fan so this didn't really have much of an effect on me.
45. Nunca Es Tarde – Oh really like this; their voice blends well together. 

On 2/9/2020 at 12:36 AM, Steven_ said:

58. As for the lyrics, it's mostly about describing the date they go on. "Por eso fuimos a bailar / Y terminamos en un bar / Yo le agarré la mano / Luego nos besamos / Y los dos nos dejamos llevar" means that they went to go dancing, they ended up in a bar, he grabbed her hand, later they were kissing and then they let themselves get carried away.

57. That's fair. And yes, that's Jesús of Reik singing at that part. I really like his voice.

56. His new album will be out April 3rd! I'm glad we agree about this song too.

55. It must be "What Could've Been," right? That song will be making an appearance on this list too. Yay for liking the joyful feel of this song.

- Thanks for the translation! Oh my. :haha: 

- Oh yay, now I know! He's really good. :yes: 

- Yes, I just found that out! It's about time. 

- Yes, that's the one. ❤️ I wasn't aware of their other songs, but glad to hear one here! 

54. What If I Never Get Over You – I love this song. :wub: I'm glad it's done well for them. I tend to really resonate with these ballads of theirs.  ❤️ 
53. Poco A Poco –  I really like this on first listen and agree regarding the arrangement and melody. :bobo: 
52. No Se Va – Aww the story of the song. :( Even though I can't understand the lyrics, I do get a sad feeling from it.  I like this well enough on first listen.
51. I Fell In Love With The Devil –  Yes, really like this as well! I love the haunting feel of the song, and Avril's vocals are great. So glad you like this a lot too.
50. Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince –  This isn't one of my favorites from the album, although I still like it. Maybe it'll grow on me over time, but it has quite a few songs to overtake to become a favorite for me. :haha: Oh well. I think the bridge is probably my favorite part. I like Taylor's description of the song that you quoted. And love the lyric you quoted as your favorite too. ❤️ 

49. Vuelve –  Oh, this has a similiar meaning to another song it seems. 😮 I do like this more as it goes on. It would probably still have to grow on me, but I don't mind it.
48. Buy My Own Drinks – I know and like this song too! I think I prefer a few others from them, but I haven't listened to them all that much as I should. I need to fix that. I love the empowering nature of the lyrics though and it's a fun song. :bobo: 
47. Dancing With A Stranger –  Really great collaboration. I love what both of them bring to it and love the vibe of the song too. :haha: I didn't even realize how bare bones it is lyrically with the chorus and no bridge. :haha: But it works. 
46. Tip Of My Tongue – I was thinking I hadn't heard this, but as soon as it started I recognized it. I don't know why this didn't make more of an impact for me to remember, because I do feel I've heard this several times. Wow, Ed writing on this though. 😮 I had no idea. I do really like this song.
45. Nunca Es Tarde –  Oh yay, it's the guy I liked from the other song! 😄 I agree they both have great voices and especially love when they sing together. Really like this on first listen! 

44. TWO OF US – LOUIS TOMLINSON

Yes, I’m posting ten songs again to get nearer to the end of this countdown. The first song in this set is "Two of Us" by Louis Tomlinson. This is a heartbreaking song. Louis lost his mom recently, and this song is a tribute to her. He’ll say he carry on, but she’ll always be with him. It’s a well-written song, and Louis delivers heartfelt emotion here. I like the arrangement too, making it quite catchy despite how heartbreaking the lyrics are. Louis is arguably the most underrated out of all the 1D lads, but he showcases his talent well in this song. I haven’t heard his album yet, but I might check it out soon.  

Favorite lyric:
I will be the best of me, always keep you next to me
I'll be living one life for the two of us. 

43. SOMEBODY TO LOVE – ONEREPUBLIC

The next song to show up is OneRepublic’s “Somebody To Love.” I watched the episode of Songland that featured this song and how it was chosen for OneRepublic to record it. Although it’s the first time OneRepublic released a song they didn’t have a hand in writing, I think the track suits their style (but I do wonder if they decided to record one of the contestants' songs to prove they believe in the format of Songland). Ryan’s vocals are excellent here, especially when his voice soars in the chorus.

Favorite lyric:
I ain’t even trying to make you miss me 
Make you miss me 
I know we’re history 
But it kills me to know that you found somebody to love.

42. OCEAN – LADY ANTEBELLUM

Here’s another Lady Antebellum song. Hilary Scott takes the lead on “Ocean,” a heartfelt ballad about a woman wanting someone to let his guard down and open up to her. The ocean metaphor works well, and I like the subdued arrangement. It suits the message of the song, and Hilary sounds very pretty here. I’ve been impressed with Lady Antebellum’s latest releases, so it’s good to see them go back to the kind of songs they do best.

Favorite lyric:
No, I'm not afraid to drown 
Take me out, take me down 
I'm so tired of the shore 
Let me in, baby 
You're an ocean 
Beautiful and blue.

41. TE VAS – MYA

MYA appears on this list one more time with “Te Vas.” This title translates to “You Leave,” meaning it’s a ballad about a girl who left this guy. He’s heartbroken and wishes she didn’t leave him. It’s really nothing groundbreaking for a song, but I remember liking the sound of it when I first heard it. I wasn’t familiar with this duo until this past year, but I like the few songs I’ve heard from them so far. It’s got a good arrangement for a Latin Pop song, and I especially like the feel of the chorus and the phrasing in the bridge. 

Favorite lyric:
De qué me sirve hacerte esta canción
Si el destino ya nos separó.

40. GOOD AS HELL – LIZZO

When I went to go look for the link for this music video, I see there’s one that was uploaded three years ago. That puzzled me, because I thought this was a recent 2019 single of Lizzo? Oh, well, I’m still going to include it on this countdown. Anyway, “Good As Hell” was a song I originally had lower on this list, but I then moved it up after hearing her sing this on SNL weeks ago. I like the arrangement and Lizzo’s delivery of this empowering anthem. It’s very catchy with a hook that’s easy to get stuck in your head. I heard the version that includes Ariana Grande, but I don’t think that was necessary as the song is perfectly fine without her. 

Favorite lyric:
If he don't love you anymore
Just walk your fine ass out the door.

39. DAYLIGHT – TAYLOR SWIFT

I do consider “Daylight” to be one of my favorite tracks on Lover, but I forget how much I like the song until I listen to it again. The song is about how she has finally found what she has been looking for in a significant other. The lyric “I’ve been sleeping so long in a twenty-year dark night / And now I see daylight” sums it up well. I also like how she references her Red album era in the lyric I highlighted below. There are a lot of standout lyrics in this song, including “Luck of the draw only draws the unlucky / And so I became the butt of the joke / I wounded the good and I trusted the wicked / Clearing the air, I breathed in the smoke.” It’s a great album closer as it both references what she’s been through in this aspect of her life as well as shows the growth and maturity she now has in this stage of her life.

Favorite lyric:
I once believed love would be burning red
But it’s golden.

38. BRÚJULAS – REIK

I realize I included a lot of Reik on the countdown this year, but oh well. I like a lot of their music. The next song of theirs to appear on this countdown is “Brújulas.” The title translates to “Compasses.” And the translation the lyric I highlighted below is “You have me using compasses to find your love / Like crazy looking for your traces behind the sun.” The song is about a guy in love with a girl, but she stopped showing up. He doesn’t want to lose her, hence the compass metaphor. I really like the groove of this song. It’s very catchy, and the vocal delivery is excellent too.

Favorite lyric:
Me tienes usando brújulas para encontrar tú amor
Como loco buscando huellas tuyas detrás del sol.

37. FALTA AMOR – SEBASTIÁN YATRA

Yes, it’s time for more Sebastián Yatra. The next track to appear is “Falta Amor.” The title translates to “Lack of Love” or “Missing Love.” It’s another song about a guy going through a heartbreak. Here he’s singing about trying to come to terms with what went wrong. I like Sebastián’s delivery here, as well as how the instrumentation grows throughout the song. It starts quietly, and then he’s singing with more fervor with louder instrumentation towards the end. It captures the frustrated and brokenhearted feelings of the lyrics. “Falta Amor” is one of the standout tracks on the album.

Favorite lyric:
Voy buscando una razón para olvidarte
Y entre más lo intento, más me cuesta soltarte. 

36. HEY LOOK MA, I MADE IT – PANIC! AT THE DISCO

“Hey Look Ma, I Made It” by Panic! At The Disco was quite popular this past year, and it ends up ranking #36 on this countdown. The lyrics are self-explanatory here. It’s funny how there’s the line “Are you ready for the sequel?” since this could be a follow-up to “High Hopes.” He achieved his dreams, and he’s letting his mother know he made it. I bet that’s a sentiment everyone hopes to tell their mothers too so they can be proud. Anyway, Brendon Urie has a fantastic voice, and he shows it off well here. The arrangement is fun and groovy, too. All of that together makes this an enjoyable song to listen to.

Favorite lyric:
If it’s a dream don’t wake me (don’t wake me) 
Hey look, ma, I made it.

35. ALIVE – DAUGHTRY

I debated whether to include this song on this countdown since it’s a cover. However, Daughtry did announce this as a single, so here it is. As most of you may know, Chris Daughtry competed on the second season of The Masked Singer, and this was a song he sang in the finale. Although I’d rather he released his cover of “Someone You Loved” instead, this is a great song too. Chris sings it splendidly too and makes it his own. I’m especially impressed how his voice soars in the chorus. It’s hard to forget about the Sia version, but I like what Daughtry does with the song here. 

Favorite lyric:
I knew what I wanted; I went in and got it
Did all the things that you said that I wouldn't
I told you that I would never be forgotten. 

44. Two of Us -

43. Somebody to Love -

42. Ocean -

41. Te Vas -

40. Good As Hell -

39. Daylight -

38. Brújulas -

37. Falta Amor -

36. Hey Look Ma, I Made It -

35. Alive -

44. Two of Us  Wow, really liking this on first listen, although it makes me really sad. 😢 But agree, it's really good and the emotion is so heartfelt and powerful. ❤️  This is my favorite I ever remember hearing his voice too. 

43. Somebody to Love - I really like this too! Ryan always sounds great and I would have never known they didn't write this song, since it does suit their style well. 

42. Ocean - Love this. :wub: It's one of my favorites from their new album too. Hillary sounds beautiful and I love the piano arrangement. ❤️ 

41. Te Vas - I'm liking this on first listen too. I agree on the feel of the chorus, and I like the sound of it. 

40. Good As Hell - I really like this one too! Yeah, the song is years old, but was released (or re-released) as a single in 2019. It was definitely all over the radio this last year. :haha: Really fun and catchy song. It is good as it is, but I still love that there's a remix with Ariana. ❤️  

39. Daylight -  This is probably in the mid-range for my ranking of the album songs, but it's hard to say. :haha: I do love it and your comments describe it so well. I love the lyric you highlighted as your favorite too.  The reference to Red. :wub: I agree about the reflective lyrical content and how she wrote this is so good!

38. Brújulas - Oh, this does have a fun sound. :bobo: I'm thinking it's not that fun lyrically based on how you described it, but I do like the sound of this.

37. Falta Amor - He sounds good on this and I like the way the song builds up as well. It does go well with what you said the song is about.

36. Hey Look Ma, I Made It - Yes, this is so fun and energetic! :bobo: I love the anthem feel of this song and how happy it is. He does have a great voice and uses it well.

35. Alive - I love that Daughtry actually released this following the show and it went to #1 on iTunes! :clap: So happy for them and Chris. Oh my gosh, I would love to hear a studio version of Someone You Loved too. :omg: Both were so good. I love the original of this song, but Chris made it his own so well that it feels like his own song. I agree the way his voice soars on the chorus is amazing. :omg: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 8:37 AM, ~Tom~ said:

72. Wanted - I like a good amount of their songs but didn't really care for this. 

71. Catch - I usually love what he puts out and that holds true here. He's doing so well for a relatively new artist. 

70. Broken & Beautiful - Love this one! Kelly usually does no wrong and this is no exception. 

69. Eres Tú - It was ok! Matisse sounds good here. 

68. Aleluya - I guess Manuel's part is from 1:00 to 1:30? I didn't care for that either. Reik sounds decent though. 

67. Adore You - I think his rocker side works better with his voice but this is ok. 

66. London Boy - Love this one, so cute and catchy. One of my faves from Lover. 

65. Yo Te Extraño - It was ok! The only songs I happened to hear from him are Cristina and Fantasia so I'm waiting for those, lol.

72. That's fair!

71. True he's doing well.

70. True that Kelly usually does no wrong.

69. At least you think they sound good.

68. Yes, Reik is better.

67. Fair enough.

66. That's cool it's one of your favorites from the album.

65. One of those is on this list, but the other was cut since I couldn't include every song by him.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:32 AM, *Chris said:

54. What If I Never Get Over You – I absolutely love this song; this is probably their best song in years. I loved it from the first time I heard it; I would have it higher than this.
53. Poco A Poco – I somewhat dig this song.
52. No Se Va – This is better than I expected, I really love their voice and the song. 
51. I Fell In Love With The Devil – Not her best song but I do like this one; nice to see her making a comeback
50. Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince – One of my favourite from Lover.

49. Vuleve – I do really like this one; it's a ballad and really showcase his voice. I much prefer latin song as ballad than upbeat, if I am being honest.
48. Buy My Own Drinks – I love this song and I was please to see the success it has but not my favourite from their album.
47. Dancing With A Stranger – Enjoyed this one, a lot. Think this is one of Sam's best in a while. 
46. Tip Of My Tongue – Not the biggest Kenny's fan so this didn't really have much of an effect on me.
45. Nunca Es Tarde – Oh really like this; their voice blends well together. 

54. I agree it's one of their best songs in years.

53. Cool!

52. I'm glad you thought it was better than you expected.

51. It is nice seeing her make a comeback.

50. That's cool it's one of your favorites from the album.

49. That's fair that you prefer Latin ballads.

48. Which song is your favorite from their album?

47. I agree it's one of the best from Sam in a while.

46. That's fair.

45. I agree!

On 2/12/2020 at 12:51 AM, miss denise said:

- Thanks for the translation! Oh my. :haha: 

- Oh yay, now I know! He's really good. :yes: 

- Yes, I just found that out! It's about time. 

- Yes, that's the one. ❤️ I wasn't aware of their other songs, but glad to hear one here! 

54. What If I Never Get Over You – I love this song. :wub: I'm glad it's done well for them. I tend to really resonate with these ballads of theirs.  ❤️ 
53. Poco A Poco –  I really like this on first listen and agree regarding the arrangement and melody. :bobo: 
52. No Se Va – Aww the story of the song. :( Even though I can't understand the lyrics, I do get a sad feeling from it.  I like this well enough on first listen.
51. I Fell In Love With The Devil –  Yes, really like this as well! I love the haunting feel of the song, and Avril's vocals are great. So glad you like this a lot too.
50. Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince –  This isn't one of my favorites from the album, although I still like it. Maybe it'll grow on me over time, but it has quite a few songs to overtake to become a favorite for me. :haha: Oh well. I think the bridge is probably my favorite part. I like Taylor's description of the song that you quoted. And love the lyric you quoted as your favorite too. ❤️ 

49. Vuelve –  Oh, this has a similiar meaning to another song it seems. 😮 I do like this more as it goes on. It would probably still have to grow on me, but I don't mind it.
48. Buy My Own Drinks – I know and like this song too! I think I prefer a few others from them, but I haven't listened to them all that much as I should. I need to fix that. I love the empowering nature of the lyrics though and it's a fun song. :bobo: 
47. Dancing With A Stranger –  Really great collaboration. I love what both of them bring to it and love the vibe of the song too. :haha: I didn't even realize how bare bones it is lyrically with the chorus and no bridge. :haha: But it works. 
46. Tip Of My Tongue – I was thinking I hadn't heard this, but as soon as it started I recognized it. I don't know why this didn't make more of an impact for me to remember, because I do feel I've heard this several times. Wow, Ed writing on this though. 😮 I had no idea. I do really like this song.
45. Nunca Es Tarde –  Oh yay, it's the guy I liked from the other song! 😄 I agree they both have great voices and especially love when they sing together. Really like this on first listen! 

54. That's good the song has done well for them.

53. Yay for liking this after a first listen!

52. It does have a sad feeling.

51. It certainly does have a haunting feel to it, and I agree her vocals are great.

50. That's fair! I still have quite a few songs from the album left on this countdown. Yay for liking the lyric I highlighted.

49. Fair thoughts! 

48. It sure is a fun song.

47. Yes, it does work for a song that seems a bit incomplete lyrically.

46. Yay for liking this song despite not listening to it much.

45. Yes, they both do have great voices, and I'm glad you like this on a first listen!

On 2/17/2020 at 3:22 PM, miss denise said:

44. Two of Us  Wow, really liking this on first listen, although it makes me really sad. 😢 But agree, it's really good and the emotion is so heartfelt and powerful. ❤️  This is my favorite I ever remember hearing his voice too. 

43. Somebody to Love - I really like this too! Ryan always sounds great and I would have never known they didn't write this song, since it does suit their style well. 

42. Ocean - Love this. :wub: It's one of my favorites from their new album too. Hillary sounds beautiful and I love the piano arrangement. ❤️ 

41. Te Vas - I'm liking this on first listen too. I agree on the feel of the chorus, and I like the sound of it. 

40. Good As Hell - I really like this one too! Yeah, the song is years old, but was released (or re-released) as a single in 2019. It was definitely all over the radio this last year. :haha: Really fun and catchy song. It is good as it is, but I still love that there's a remix with Ariana. ❤️  

39. Daylight -  This is probably in the mid-range for my ranking of the album songs, but it's hard to say. :haha: I do love it and your comments describe it so well. I love the lyric you highlighted as your favorite too.  The reference to Red. :wub: I agree about the reflective lyrical content and how she wrote this is so good!

38. Brújulas - Oh, this does have a fun sound. :bobo: I'm thinking it's not that fun lyrically based on how you described it, but I do like the sound of this.

37. Falta Amor - He sounds good on this and I like the way the song builds up as well. It does go well with what you said the song is about.

36. Hey Look Ma, I Made It - Yes, this is so fun and energetic! :bobo: I love the anthem feel of this song and how happy it is. He does have a great voice and uses it well.

35. Alive - I love that Daughtry actually released this following the show and it went to #1 on iTunes! :clap: So happy for them and Chris. Oh my gosh, I would love to hear a studio version of Someone You Loved too. :omg: Both were so good. I love the original of this song, but Chris made it his own so well that it feels like his own song. I agree the way his voice soars on the chorus is amazing. :omg: 

44. Yes, it sure is a really sad song. Very heartfelt and powerful indeed.

43. I agree with your thoughts!

42. Yes, she does sound beautiful. The piano arrangement is very nice.

41. Yay for more agreement!

40. Fun and catchy indeed!

39. That's fair. It does rank near the top of the album rankings for me, but there are still more songs left too. I'm glad you agree with my thoughts.

38. Fun sound indeed!

37. I'm glad you think he sounds good on it.

36. I agree with your thoughts here too!

35. Congrats to him on this cover going #1 on iTunes! And yes, a studio of "Someone You Loved" would've been great. That was my favorite performance of his on the show. And yes, Chris does make this song his own.

34. GIMME TONIGHT – LOVE AND THEFT

It's March, so I really need to complete this list already. Anyway, here’s a song I originally had lower on the countdown, but I kept moving it up after each listen. Alas, it finally appears here at #34. On paper, it’s basically another country song about wanting to pick up a girl at a bar. But the arrangement of the song is what makes it stand out to me. It’s kind of low-key in the verses, but the song really comes alive in the chorus. I still like the verses too, as well as the whole song. I like the groove, the clapping in the verses, and the vocal delivery of Eric and Stephen. I just think it’s a cool sounding song.

Favorite lyric:

Kiss that red right off of your lips
And get lost in your neon light eyes
It's all about now
It's not about tomorrow, baby
Just gimme tonight. 

33. TE QUIERO – MALUMA

Maluma makes his final appearance on this countdown with “Te Quiero.” The title of the song is misleading, as “Te Quiero” means “I Love You” when you say it to another person. But the literal translation is “I Want You,” and Maluma sings “Te quiero…pero muy lejos.” That means “I Want You…but very far away.” So, this is a cheeky song about telling an ex that he’s better off without her and he only wants her to stay away from him. The song is very groovy with a tropical sound that reminds me of some Marc Anthony songs. It’s just a fun sounding song, and it’s one I enjoy enough to rank this high on the list.

Favorite lyric:

Que bien que te vas

Que bueno que te fuiste

Prefiero estar solo que contigo y triste.

32. WE WERE RICH – RUNAWAY JUNE

Here’s a song I came across because of Carrie Underwood. She posted about it on social media, so I gave the song a listen and ended up really liking it. The song is about growing up with enough to get by, but thinking you were rich because it was still a blessed and happy life. The imagery in the lyrics really stands out, as well as the pretty vocals on a very nice arrangement. I wonder if this song will become a single as I can see it doing well. This is a song I’m sure a lot of people can relate to.

Favorite lyric:

We didn't have it all, but we all thought we did

And Mama always said that we were blessed, and I believed her. 

31. LENTO – THALÍA & GENTE DE ZONA

“Lento” by Thalía and Gente De Zona was technically released in late 2018, but I became more familiar with it in 2019. So, that’s why I’m including it on this list. “Lento” translates to “Slowly,” but this is a fast and rhythmic song. It’s a song with suggestive lyrics, but it’s the arrangement that makes it a very enjoyable song. I like Thalía’s parts the best, but I don’t mind Gente de Zone’s contribution here. It’s a very fun song that’s easy to want to listen to over and over again.

Favorite part:

Agárrame otra vez

Que no habrá después

Dale como es

Empieza por los pies

Pero lento, lento, lento

Sin pena ni tormento. 

30. WAIT – CHRIS JAMISON

Kicking off the Top 30 is “Wait” by Chris Jamison. This is a song I originally had lower on the list, but I kept moving it up with more listens. Alas, it ranks here, but 30 is still a very high spot. I like the throwback feel of this song. It’s got a very nice, laid-back melody with cool use of a choir in the chorus. Chris Jamison’s voice impresses on this track too. I’m reminded how much I like his voice, and he shows off his talent effectively here. This style suits him well, and he delivers this song perfectly.  

Favorite lyric:

Wishing I could relive memories

I'm chasing time, oh, wait for me. 

29. HEAD ABOVE WATER – AVRIL LAVIGNE

“Head Above Water” is another song that could be classified as a 2018 song, but I became more accustomed to it in 2019. “Head Above Water” is a song that came from a difficult time in Avril’s life. Her struggles with Lyme disease are what inspired this emotional track. She’s praying to God to save her life, and she uses a drowning metaphor effectively. I really like the lyrics here, as well as Avril’s vocal delivery. She sounds terrific here, and she really showcases her talent wonderfully on this poignant song.  

Favorite lyric:

God, keep my head above water

I lose my breath at the bottom

Come rescue me, I'll be waiting

I'm too young to fall asleep. 

28. NUNCA NOS PREPARAMOS PARA TANTO AMOR –SEBASTIÁN YATRA

“Nunca Nos Preparamos Para Tanto Amor” was one of my favorite tracks when I first listened to Sebastián Yatra’s new album. The title translates to “We Never Prepare For So Much Love.” It’s a song about wanting to be back with someone. This girl left him, but he wants her back and will wait for her since there was so much love there. I like how the song builds and Sebastián’s delivery. The tracks on the album are more laid-back in the arrangement, so this is the one with a bigger arrangement. Although the song ends unexpectedly as if it was cut off, the whole track makes it an enjoyable listen.

Favorite lyric:

Mirándote a ti

El mundo entero lo sintió

Y en un instante comenzó

Tanto, tanto amor

Nunca nos preparamos para tanto amor. 

27. CORNELIA STREET – TAYLOR SWIFT

“Cornelia Street” is the next Taylor Swift song to appear on this countdown, but she still has a few more appearances left. “Cornelia Street” is about a place that has a lot of sentimental meaning to her and her love interest. She says if the relationship were to ever end, then she wouldn’t ever be able to walk down Cornelia Street again since it would remind her of him too much. I like the vibe of this song and Taylor’s vocal is quite good too. I do like the verses more than the chorus, but the entire song is well done.

Favorite lyric:

I packed my bags, left Cornelia Street

Before you even knew I was gone

But then you called, showed your hand

I turned around before I hit the tunnel

Sat on the roof, you and I. 

26. MY SONG TOO – HUNTER HAYES

“My Song Too” is the penultimate appearance by Hunter Hayes on this countdown. This was one of the songs that stood out to me the most when I listened to his new album. The song details how Hunter’s ex broke up with him, but he’s still grateful for the memories and time they had together. Instead of being bitter and angry, he’s at peace with what happened, and he can still listen to a song that meant something to the both of them with fondness. I really like the lyrics here, and Hunter sings with a lot of sincerity. It’s just a very nice song, and I hope Denise approves of the placement.

Favorite lyric:

You left me better than you found me

It's crazy I still sing it, but I do

It's my song too. 

25. AQUÍ ESTARÉ – SEBASTIÁN YATRA

Yes, there’s still more Sebastián Yatra on this countdown. The title translate to “I’ll Be Here.” The lyrics are about telling a girl that he’ll still be there waiting for her. If she goes off without him and tries to finds somebody else, then he’ll still be there if she doesn’t find anyone. It’s a laid-back song with a pleasant feel to it. Sebastián sounds very sincere too. This was also a song I considered ranking lower to spread out his songs on this countdown, but I like this song too much to rank any lower than here.

Favorite lyric:

Si en esta vida

No encuentras a alguien

Que te acompañe

Aquí estaré. 

34. Gimme Tonight – 
33. Te Quiero – 
32. We Were Rich –
31. Lento – 
30. Wait – 

29. Head Above Water – 
28. Nunca Nos Preparamos Para Tanto Amor
27. Cornelia Street
26. My Song Too – 
25. Aquí Estaré – 

Edited by Steven_

• 2 weeks later...

34. Gimme Tonight –  Not sure if I heard this before or not, but I like it listening to it now. I think it could grow on me with more listens. 
33. Te Quiero –  Oh wow the meaning of this song title. :haha:  It does have a fun sound and I like the tempo of it.
32. We Were Rich – I know I've heard this before, but I wish I listened to it more. I like what I've heard from these girls in general, and love the sentiment behind this. ❤️ 
31. Lento –  This sounds fun. I don't mind the suggestive lyrics because I have no idea what they are. :giggle:I think I prefer the female vocalist here as well.
30. Wait –  omg I haven't heard from Chris in so long, but aww I love his voice. ❤️  This is so good and I really like it a lot on first listen. I agree with your comments. ❤️ 

29. Head Above Water –  I love the power, emotion, and lyrics of this song. ❤️ 😢  The metaphor is so good. I agree with everything you said. 
28. Nunca Nos Preparamos Para Tanto Amor – Ooh, I really like this one a lot on first listen. I really enjoy the melody of it and his vocals as well. I don't know what he's saying, but it sure sounds good.
27. Cornelia Street –  This is also not one of my major favorites from the album, so I guess we really differ. :haha: Curious to see which ones you have on top.  That being said, I do really like this song, and I think it's somewhere in the middle of my ranking? I really like the story of it, the tempo, and how she sings it. 
26. My Song Too –  Taylor and Hunter back to back? I feel I have received a gift. :wub::giggle: Although again, this isn't one of my favorites from the album either, which doesn't mean much, because this is me and Hunter. :haha: It is a sweet song, or well that may not be the right word, but then again, it still is. It's a nice and positive approach to a difficult situation. The quiet nature and sound of the song suits it so well too, I think. ❤️ I love the focus on his voice and the lyrics with the acoustic arrangement. ❤️ omg another shout out for me! :wub::hug:I do approve.  I didn't even think you'd have any of his album tracks on here, so I am pleasantly surprised. :wub: 
25. Aquí Estaré –  Ah, he sounds really great on this song too! I'm not sure which I prefer between the two recent ones of his on here, but his vocal is great and I enjoyed listening to this.

24. WEIGH ME DOWN – BROOKE WHITE

It's almost the middle of March, so I really need to complete this list already. Anyway, here’s the last Brooke White song to appear on this countdown. "Weigh Me Down" is my favorite song on her Calico album. "Weigh Me Down" is a song about ridding yourself of self-doubt, but it's written like a break-up song. Instead of singing about another person, she's singing about the negative thoughts that she had about herself and how she will no longer let them weigh her down. I like the meaning behind the song, as well as the arrangement. I'm glad Brooke released new music last year, and I hope we get more from her in the near future again.

Favorite lyric:

This is my goodnight

I'm done with your lying, done with my crying

This is my goodbye

This is forever, talk to you never. 

23. MALDITA DESPEDIDA – REIK

Yes, there is still more Reik on this countdown. "Maldita Despedida" translates to "Damn Farewell." It's a song about how this girl broke his heart when she ended things between them. The arrangement is more laid-back than some other Reik songs, but it still works. The vocals are great, and it's a catchy tune too. This was a song that actually had to grow on me, but I ended up liking it enough to rank this high on the countdown.

Favorite lyric:

Cómo puede ser tan fuerte que se siente
Cómo es que tú fácil me olvidas
Tu maldita despedida.

22. OYE – TINI & SEBASTIÁN YATRA

Sebastián Yatra and TINI happen to be dating in real life, and they recorded a song together. However, oddly enough, they decided to sing a break-up song together. Instagram posts make me believe they are still a happy couple, so it's just storytelling here. "Oye" means "Listen" or "Hey," and the lyrics are about the two of them admitting the relationship isn't working. They sound nice in this song, and I like the parts with faster phrasing from them. The way it builds to that part is cool, but the entire song is catchy and enjoyable. It'd be cool to see them record another song together again.   

Favorite lyric:

Porque al final del cuento
Sé muy dentro que yo
Sin ti estoy mejor. 

21. LE PIDO AL CIELO – LUIS FONSI

Here's Luis Fonsi's last appearance on this countdown. "Le Pido al Cielo" translates to "I Ask Heaven." He's singing about a love interest. If she leaves him, then he'll ask heaven for her to return. He'll understand why she wants to leave and keep the memories they made, but he'll wait for her to come back. I especially like the vocals here. It's a ballad that allows Luis to show off his range. The soaring vocals in the chorus work well, and it makes it a standout track on his new album.

Favorite lyric:

Me quedo las canciones y mi corazón empeño
Yo te lo ruego, juro y te espero
Que vuelvas, por favor le pido al cielo. 

20. PRAYED FOR YOU – MATT STELL

Kicking off the Top 20 is “Prayed For You” by Matt Stell. A fun fact about this song for me is the first time I ever heard this song was when I watched Matt Stell perform this live. I saw Chase Rice in concert last year, and Matt Stell was his opening act. Some people in the crowd were singing along to this song when Matt sang it, but I was unfamiliar with it. I liked it when I heard it though, so I looked it up and heard the recorded version. And in the following weeks, I noticed the song was gaining in popularity on the iTunes charts. So, that was cool. Anyway, "Prayed For You" is a sweet country love song about waiting for the person you're meant to be with. I like the lyrics and heartfelt vocals, and kudos to this song and Matt Stell on its success. 

Favorite lyric:

Every single day, before I knew your name
I couldn't see your face, but I prayed for you. 

19. EYES ON YOU – CHASE RICE

Speaking of Chase Rice, here he is with "Eyes On You." I had this song on my 2018 list, and here it is again. And a fun fact about this song is that "Eyes On You" was officially announced as the #1 song on the country charts the night I saw Chase in concert. So, that was very cool. Chase put on a great show, and the crowd was really excited when he performed "Eyes On You." It's his first #1 single, so congrats to him on that. "Eyes On You" is a romantic song about not being able to take his eyes off of his love interest. Regardless where they are in the world, she's the only one he's captivated by. It's a very catchy song, and Chase's delivery works well. It's got a great hook, so it's no surprise why the song became a big hit for him. Chase released more music in 2020 already, so look out for more Chase Rice on my 2020 list.  

Favorite lyric:

Don't matter where we've been
No, there ain't no better view
Than you in my arms with my eyes on you. 

18. JUICE – LIZZO

Congrats to Lizzo on the great year she had in 2019! Now, I must admit that I'm probably one of the last ones to have listened to "Juice." It was already popular by the time I got around to hearing it. I wasn't avoiding it, but I guess I just reached a point where I just listen to my favorite artists instead of looking up what's popular (so that's why a lot of hit 2019 singles are absent from this list). But I did like "Juice" when I first heard it, and here it is within the Top 20 of my list. Lizzo's delivery here is fantastic. She's singing about self-confidence, and I like a lot of the lyrics here. The arrangement and vocals are what sell the song for me. It's just a fun song, and it's my favorite of all the Lizzo songs I've heard so far.

Favorite lyric:

No, I'm not a snack at all
Look, baby, I'm the whole damn meal. 

17. LOVING YOU – HUNTER HAYES

Hunter Hayes released a new album entitled Wild Blue (Part 1) last year, and here is my favorite song from said album. "Loving You" is a bittersweet song. He's singing about his ex. She has already moved on, but he's not there yet. However, he's not bitter or resentful. He still holds the memories of their time together fondly and he's happy for where she is in life. Nonetheless, he admits that he hates that he is still in love with her. She took his heart with him, but he still has the mindset of being happy that the relationship happened. It's like that saying it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. Hunter's vocals are sweet and sincere, and I like the melody too. The sound of the chorus is especially nice. It's a very well-written song too, and I like a lot of the lyrics here (especially the part I highlighted below). It's a great song and one I wouldn't mind seeing released as a single. I wonder if Denise agrees this is worthy to be a single too.

Favorite lyric:

I don't need you coming back and fixing anything 
All I'll ever ask of you is to remember me. 

16. LOVER – TAYLOR SWIFT

Here is the title track of Taylor Swift's new album. "Lover" by Taylor Swift is a song that had to grow on me. I don't think I appreciated this song until after I heard the entire album. After "The Archer" and "Lover" were released back to back, I was wondering if the entire album was going to have songs with the same tone. However, the album has a lot of catchy and upbeat songs, so I was able to appreciate "Lover" for what it is. And it really is a sweet, romantic song with a very dreamy vibe to it. Taylor sounds really pretty here too, and it's a well-written song too (no surprise since Taylor has proven time and time again what a strong songwriter she is). "Lover" is a song about the relationship between her and her boyfriend, and the sentiment she expresses throughout the song is really nice and heartfelt. I don't know how high this song charted, but I do think it was a good choice as a single. And even though it's a song that had to grow on me, I ended up liking "Lover" enough to rank this high on the countdown.

Favorite lyric:

My heart's been borrowed and yours has been blue
All's well that ends well to end up with you. 

24. Weigh Me Down – 
23. Maldita Despedida – 
22. Oye –
21. Le Pido Al Cielo – 
20. Prayed For You – 

19. Eyes On You – 
18. Juice –
17. Loving You –
16. Lover – 

Edited by Steven_

15. THE MAN – TAYLOR SWIFT

This list's conclusion is so overdue that the music video for "The Man" is already out. Anyway, I'm sure everyone here is already familiar with "The Man." Taylor sings about how her accomplishments would be more respected if she were a man. It's got a good message as she addresses the double standards in the music industry and society, but it's still a catchy song too. This is a song that stood out to me when I first listened to the Lover album, so I'm not surprised to see this become a single. The music video is fitting for the lyrics too. It'll be interesting to see how well "The Man" does on the charts.

Favorite part:

What's it like to brag about raking in dollars
And getting bitches and models?
And it's all good if you're bad
And it's okay if you're mad
If I was out flashing my dollars
I'd be a bitch, not a baller
They'd paint me out to be bad
So it's okay that I'm mad. 

14. CRISTINA – SEBASTIÁN YATRA

Sebastián Yatra appears yet again with "Cristina," which ranks at #14 on the list. "Cristina" has a more singer-songwriter vibe than some of his more uptempo songs, but it's still catchy with an enjoyable melody. Sebastián sings with a lot of sincerity too. "Cristina" is a song about a girl he is in love with, but he'll have to go away. However, this is her song and he hopes she'll remember him. Sebastián stars alongside TINI in the music video. The story of the video is bittersweet, but it suits the lyrics of the song. 

Favorite lyric:

Y aunque yo esté en otra parte
Soy más feliz porque yo pude encontrarte
Y aunque no tenga la certeza de volverte a ver
Es tuya esta canción
Recuérdame.

13. PAPER RINGS – TAYLOR SWIFT

"Paper Rings" is unlike any other song on Lover, but it is one of my favorites on the album. The meaning behind the song is very sweet too. She's admitting that she'd marry her love interest, even with paper rings. Nothing else matters except being with him. It could be a bit cheesy, but the upbeat and playful feel of the song makes it work. That's what I like most about the song. It's very catchy, and the almost pop-punk delivery of the song is cool too. This is one of the tracks I listen to the most of all the songs on the Lover album.

Favorite lyric:

I like shiny things, but I'd marry you with paper rings. 

12. I THINK HE KNOWS – TAYLOR SWIFT

I realize I didn't spread out the Lover tracks enough on this countdown, but I knew I would have this one high on the list. "I Think He Knows" just has a really cool vibe to it, and it's one of my favorite tracks on the album (it's actually my second favorite track since Taylor only has one more appearance remaining on this countdown). I was taken aback a bit when I first heard the song since the lyrics are quite seductive, but Taylor is 30 years old now after all. "I Think He Knows" is just very catchy. The verses have a cool vibe to it, and then it really comes alive in the chorus. The arrangement does a good job encapsulating the feeling described in the lyrics, and Taylor's delivery is excellent too.

Favorite part:

He got my heartbeat
Skipping down 16th Avenue
Got that, oh! I mean
Wanna see what's under that attitude
Like, I want you, bless my soul
And I ain't gotta tell him
I think he knows. 

11. UN AÑO – SEBASTIÁN YATRA & REIK

Just missing out on the Top 10 is "Un Año" by Sebastián Yatra and Reik. It's not a secret how much I enjoy the music of both Sebastián Yatra and Reik, so it was really cool they released a song together. "Un Año" is about reuniting after a long time spent apart. It's a laid-back arrangement, but the vocals are earnest and convey the feelings in the lyrics. It's catchy and sweet, and it was great this song became a hit for them. This song also won Pop/Rock Song of the Year at Premio Lo Nuestro, so it was cool to see this win. I hope to see Sebastián Yatra and Reik collaborate again in the near future.

Favorite lyric:

Te esperaré porque el amor es más fuerte.

15. The Man – 
14. Cristina – 
13. Paper Rings –
12. I Think He Knows – 
11. Un Año – 

24. Weigh Me Down –  I feel like you're starting all your sets this way. :lmao: Ooh, I love the meaning behind this song, and really like the vibe of it too. :bobo: Such a positive and encouraging song. I'd like to hear this one more. 
23. Maldita Despedida – I really like his voice and like this on first listen. 
22. Oye – How interesting they chose to do a break-up song together. :haha: They both sound really good and I like this on first listen too.
21. Le Pido Al Cielo – I never heard Luis sing like this. 😮  This is really good and I love the power he shows in his voice. 
20. Prayed For You –  Oh yay, I know and love this song too! That's cool you heard this for the first time in concert. 😮 I love the sentiment behind the song and how sweet it is too. 

19. Eyes On You –  I didn't know this was his first #1, but congrats to him on that. I did hear this often on the radio and enjoy it, even if it didn't make my list. 
18. Juice – So fun and catchy. :bobo: I agree that her delivery is great and I love the self-powering nature of her songs that I've heard so far. This is still my favorite of hers as well.
17. Loving You – You are blessing me with more Hunter and ahh this is my favorite (non-single) from the album, so I love that it's yours too. :wub:  I love everything about this, from the melody to the lyrics and his vocals... plus how there is no bitterness and only wishing her the best. It's not something I normally hear, where he says that he loves all these things happening for her without him, but then hates that he loves her while she moves on with all those things. 😢 It pulls at the heart.  "he is still in love with her." original.gif.31fa1c6a4dc98b632d4fc8e334dc5daf.gif:dead:  But yes, I love that "I just hate loving you" lyric. :broken: And love this description you gave of the meaning of the song: "It's like that saying it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. " ❤️  The chorus is my favorite too and I also love the lyric you highlighted.  Yayyy my shout outs on every Hunter song. :wub:  I love it so much. :wub: I don't know if it would be released as a single, but I agree that it's worthy and I would love that. ❤️ 
16. Lover –  More back to back Hunter and Taylor! :wub: And with similiar song titles. So interesting about how the song had to grow on you, and oooh The Archer mention... I forgot about that song. :dead:  Not one of my favorites from the album, but that one is a grower for me, while this one I loved right away.  Dreamy is the perfect way to describe it. I love everything about this song too. Such a sweet, romantic, timeless-sounding song. ❤️ 

15. The Man –  Your opening sentence. :lmao:  This could have happened at any time. 😛 But yay, I love the meaning behind the song and how Taylor delivers it with these specific lyrics. It's very effective and catchy. :bobo: 
14. Cristina –  This song sounds nice, and I can get the kind of bittersweet feeling from the melody and his vocals. :( I enjoyed this.
13. Paper Rings – I think of this as one of my favorites from the album, but I guess I have so many that it ends up in the middle for me. :haha: It is really cute, fun, and catchy. I love the lyrics and that she'd marry him with paper rings. :bobo: I agree with all your comments! Never thought of the delivery as pop-punk, but I get what you mean. 
12. I Think He Knows –  Three Taylor songs in this set! ❤️ And yay, this is one of my favorites too. I love the vibe and feel of this too, it's addicting. :bobo:  Oh I wonder what your top Taylor song on here will be, but I might have an idea. :shiftywave: "I was taken aback a bit when I first heard the song since the lyrics are quite seductive, but Taylor is 30 years old now after all." :lmao: I don't remember feeling this, but I see. I agree on the verses and the chorus, which is my favorite. Love this!
11. Un Año – I've liked what I've heard from both of them on your list so far, so it's cool they did a song together. I'm really liking this on first listen too, especially the chorus. :bobo: I would enjoy hearing this again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, miss denise said:

34. Gimme Tonight –  Not sure if I heard this before or not, but I like it listening to it now. I think it could grow on me with more listens. 
33. Te Quiero –  Oh wow the meaning of this song title. :haha:  It does have a fun sound and I like the tempo of it.
32. We Were Rich – I know I've heard this before, but I wish I listened to it more. I like what I've heard from these girls in general, and love the sentiment behind this. ❤️ 
31. Lento –  This sounds fun. I don't mind the suggestive lyrics because I have no idea what they are. :giggle:I think I prefer the female vocalist here as well.
30. Wait –  omg I haven't heard from Chris in so long, but aww I love his voice. ❤️  This is so good and I really like it a lot on first listen. I agree with your comments. ❤️ 

29. Head Above Water –  I love the power, emotion, and lyrics of this song. ❤️ 😢  The metaphor is so good. I agree with everything you said. 
28. Nunca Nos Preparamos Para Tanto Amor – Ooh, I really like this one a lot on first listen. I really enjoy the melody of it and his vocals as well. I don't know what he's saying, but it sure sounds good.
27. Cornelia Street –  This is also not one of my major favorites from the album, so I guess we really differ. :haha: Curious to see which ones you have on top.  That being said, I do really like this song, and I think it's somewhere in the middle of my ranking? I really like the story of it, the tempo, and how she sings it. 
26. My Song Too –  Taylor and Hunter back to back? I feel I have received a gift. :wub::giggle: Although again, this isn't one of my favorites from the album either, which doesn't mean much, because this is me and Hunter. :haha: It is a sweet song, or well that may not be the right word, but then again, it still is. It's a nice and positive approach to a difficult situation. The quiet nature and sound of the song suits it so well too, I think. ❤️ I love the focus on his voice and the lyrics with the acoustic arrangement. ❤️ omg another shout out for me! :wub::hug:I do approve.  I didn't even think you'd have any of his album tracks on here, so I am pleasantly surprised. :wub: 
25. Aquí Estaré –  Ah, he sounds really great on this song too! I'm not sure which I prefer between the two recent ones of his on here, but his vocal is great and I enjoyed listening to this.

34. That's cool you think the song could grow on you with more listens.

33. I'm glad you like the tempo of it.

32. Yes, really nice sentiment behind this song.

31. Yes, she sounds great on this track.

30. I'm glad you enjoyed this after a first listen.

29. Yay for agreement!

28. I'm glad this one impressed you!

27. That's fair this one is in the middle of your album rankings. I also have other songs outranking this one.

26. Yup, Taylor and Hunter back-to-back on this set. Aww at it not being one of your album favorites, but yes I'm sure you still like it. I agree with your thoughts about the song here too.

25. Yes, great vocals indeed.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:02 PM, miss denise said:

24. Weigh Me Down –  I feel like you're starting all your sets this way. :lmao: Ooh, I love the meaning behind this song, and really like the vibe of it too. :bobo: Such a positive and encouraging song. I'd like to hear this one more. 
23. Maldita Despedida – I really like his voice and like this on first listen. 
22. Oye – How interesting they chose to do a break-up song together. :haha: They both sound really good and I like this on first listen too.
21. Le Pido Al Cielo – I never heard Luis sing like this. 😮  This is really good and I love the power he shows in his voice. 
20. Prayed For You –  Oh yay, I know and love this song too! That's cool you heard this for the first time in concert. 😮 I love the sentiment behind the song and how sweet it is too. 

19. Eyes On You –  I didn't know this was his first #1, but congrats to him on that. I did hear this often on the radio and enjoy it, even if it didn't make my list. 
18. Juice – So fun and catchy. :bobo: I agree that her delivery is great and I love the self-powering nature of her songs that I've heard so far. This is still my favorite of hers as well.
17. Loving You – You are blessing me with more Hunter and ahh this is my favorite (non-single) from the album, so I love that it's yours too. :wub:  I love everything about this, from the melody to the lyrics and his vocals... plus how there is no bitterness and only wishing her the best. It's not something I normally hear, where he says that he loves all these things happening for her without him, but then hates that he loves her while she moves on with all those things. 😢 It pulls at the heart.  "he is still in love with her." original.gif.31fa1c6a4dc98b632d4fc8e334dc5daf.gif:dead:  But yes, I love that "I just hate loving you" lyric. :broken: And love this description you gave of the meaning of the song: "It's like that saying it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. " ❤️  The chorus is my favorite too and I also love the lyric you highlighted.  Yayyy my shout outs on every Hunter song. :wub:  I love it so much. :wub: I don't know if it would be released as a single, but I agree that it's worthy and I would love that. ❤️ 
16. Lover –  More back to back Hunter and Taylor! :wub: And with similiar song titles. So interesting about how the song had to grow on you, and oooh The Archer mention... I forgot about that song. :dead:  Not one of my favorites from the album, but that one is a grower for me, while this one I loved right away.  Dreamy is the perfect way to describe it. I love everything about this song too. Such a sweet, romantic, timeless-sounding song. ❤️ 

15. The Man –  Your opening sentence. :lmao:  This could have happened at any time. 😛 But yay, I love the meaning behind the song and how Taylor delivers it with these specific lyrics. It's very effective and catchy. :bobo: 
14. Cristina –  This song sounds nice, and I can get the kind of bittersweet feeling from the melody and his vocals. :( I enjoyed this.
13. Paper Rings – I think of this as one of my favorites from the album, but I guess I have so many that it ends up in the middle for me. :haha: It is really cute, fun, and catchy. I love the lyrics and that she'd marry him with paper rings. :bobo: I agree with all your comments! Never thought of the delivery as pop-punk, but I get what you mean. 
12. I Think He Knows –  Three Taylor songs in this set! ❤️ And yay, this is one of my favorites too. I love the vibe and feel of this too, it's addicting. :bobo:  Oh I wonder what your top Taylor song on here will be, but I might have an idea. :shiftywave: "I was taken aback a bit when I first heard the song since the lyrics are quite seductive, but Taylor is 30 years old now after all." :lmao: I don't remember feeling this, but I see. I agree on the verses and the chorus, which is my favorite. Love this!
11. Un Año – I've liked what I've heard from both of them on your list so far, so it's cool they did a song together. I'm really liking this on first listen too, especially the chorus. :bobo: I would enjoy hearing this again.

24. Positive and encouraging indeed.

23. He has a great voice indeed.

22. Yeah, interesting they did a break-up song together. They have collaborated before on a happier song though. I forgot to mention that.

21. He does show the power in his voice on this song.

20. Cool you already knew this song and like it too!

19. I'm glad this is still a song you enjoy even if it didn't make it on your list.

18. Fun and catchy indeed.

17. That's cool this is both of our favorite album track on the album! I like all your thoughts on the song here too.

16. Lol at your comment on "The Archer." "The Archer" is actually my least favorite track on the album, but "Lover" grew on me enough to rank here on the list. I agree that it's sweet, romantic, and timeless.

15. Effective and catchy indeed.

14. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

13. Yes, it sure is a cute, fun, and catchy song.

12. I wonder which you think is my favorite from the album. But yes, I'm glad you like this song!

11. Yay for liking this after a first listen! I'm glad it's one you wouldn't mind hearing again.

10. RÁPTAME - REIK

I thought I'd have this list completed already, but I'm going to finally finish it now. Kicking off the Top 10 is "Ráptame" by Reik. It's a catchy and rhythmic song, and I like the vocal delivery too. The chorus is my favorite part of the song. As for the translation, "Ráptame"  means "Kidnap Me." It's a romantic song about wanting to be taken away by your love interest. For the lyric I have highlighted below, he's saying "Kidnap me tonight / Take me to the car / Feel how each kiss increases the rhythm of our being."  I've had plenty of Reik on this countdown, and this is my favorite of their 2019 songs. Although I like a lot of Reik's ballads, they do upbeat songs well too. "Ráptame" is a fun and catchy song with great vocals, and it lands a spot in my Top 10 of 2019. 

Favorite lyric:
Ráptame esta noche
Llévame pa'l coche
Siente cómo cada beso
Aumenta el ritmo
De nuestro ser. 

9. BONITA - JUANES, SEBASTIÁN YATRA

Juanes and Sebastián Yatra's collaboration "Bonita" was a song I knew would be high on this countdown after I first listened to it, but I didn't initially think it'd rank higher than nearly all of Sebastián Yatra's album tracks from his FANTASÍA album. However, the song grew on me quickly with more and more listens, and it ended up ranking #9 on my list. "Bonita" is just a very catchy and upbeat song. It's such an earworm, and it's a song I can listen to on repeat multiple times. Juanes and Sebastián both do a great job here, but I do prefer Sebastián's voice. There's really nothing groundbreaking here lyrically. The song is about coming across a very pretty girl and being enamored by her. But the happy, upbeat vibe of the song is so fun and infectious. "Bonita" is such an enjoyable song to listen to, and it gets a very high ranking on this countdown.

Favorite part:
Y dale déjame ver
Cómo lo, cómo lo mueves tú y tú
Cómo lo, cómo lo bailas tú y tú
Cómo lo, cómo lo mueves tú y tú
Cómo lo, cómo lo bailas.

8. RESPIRO - SEBASTIÁN YATRA

Here's Sebastián Yatra's final appearance on this countdown. "Respiro" was a song that threw me off when I first listened to it, because that is not Sebastián singing in the first two-thirds of the song. There was no other artist credit listed on the album when it was released, but that other singer is Federico Moreno. He's got a nice voice too, and I can hear why Sebastián invited him to sing on this song (and according to YouTube comments they're apparently cousins). It's also neat that he made an appearance on this video released several months after the album came out. Anyway, "Respiro" translates to "I breathe." It's a heartfelt song that says "I breathe for you." The song has a laid-back arrangement, but it suits the tone of the lyrics. I like the vocals too, and everything comes together nicely here. It has a sweet and tranquil quality to it. It's a standout on FANTASÍA, and my favorite track on the album.

Favorite lyric:
Prometí ganar esta batalla
No parar, levantarme
Continuar, respiro, respiro por vos
Impulsado por volver a verte
Yo no quiero perderte
Y yo solo respiro, respiro por vos. 

7. LA LIBERTAD – ÁLVARO SOLER

Álvaro Soler finally makes another appearance on this countdown with "La Libertad." This is a song that had to grow on me a bit since his other songs like "La Cintura," "Sofia," and "Loca" were ones I liked a lot instantly when I first heard those. But no worries, the song grew on me enough to rank at #7 on this countdown. "La Libertad" translates to "Freedom." The song is about going out and exploring the world and relishing in your independence. The lyrics I have highlighted below mean "I remember the moment we went out to find a world beyond." I like Álvaro's delivery here, and the overall arrangement. The "Ay, ay, ay, ay" parts add a nice touch too. It's a nice, easygoing song that's great to listen to while driving on the road. Álvaro didn't release a lot of songs in 2019, but hopefully he'll have more music out in 2020.

Favorite lyric:
Recuerdo el momento
Nos fuimos a buscar
Un mundo más allá
La libertad. 

6. SOMEONE YOU LOVED – LEWIS CAPALDI

Just missing out on the Top 5 is "Someone You Loved" by Lewis Capaldi. I kept going back and forth between this song and the one I ranked #5 to decide which one I prefer, but ultimately "Someone You Loved" gets the #6 spot. Anyway, everyone knows this song. It was a sleeper hit as its popularity kept growing and growing until it became one of the biggest songs of the year. And it's deserving of its success. This was a song I liked the instant I first heard it. It's such a good song with a very authentic and emotional vocal performance with standout lyrics. It was tough to pick a favorite lyric, so I just quoted the chorus since it's my favorite part of the song. I really like the piano arrangement here, and Lewis Capaldi's vocals are so sincere here as he conveys the emotion and pain of the lyrics. I knew when I first heard this song it'd be in my Top 10 of the year, and here it lands at #6.

Favorite lyric:
But now the day bleeds
Into nightfall
And you're not here
To get me through it all
I let my guard down
And then you pulled the rug
I was getting kinda used to being someone you loved.

10. Ráptame – 
9. Bonita – 
8. Respiro
7. La Libertad – 
6. Someone You Loved –

Edited by Steven_

5. WHAT COULD'VE BEEN - GONE WEST

It took me a lot longer than I planned to complete this list (it's April!), but I'm finally finishing this countdown tonight. Kicking off the Top 5 is "What Could've Been" by Gone West. I don't remember when I first came across this song (it was either radio or recommended on YouTube), but it's one I liked the moment I heard it. I also was unaware that Colbie Caillat formed a country music group, but I've liked what I heard from them so far. And I like "What Could've Been" enough to rank within the Top 5 of my favorite songs of 2019. "What Could've Been" is about a couple that has separated, but they're still thinking about each other and how it feels like they have unfinished business between them. The relationship seemed to have ended without real closure, and there are still feelings there that keep them yearning for the other. I'm sure it's a song a lot of people can relate to. I like the lyrics of the song, especially the analogies in the chorus. The vocals are terrific as well; really nice harmonies throughout the song. I look forward to more music from Gone West since "What Could've Been" ended up being one of my most favorite songs of 2019.

Favorite lyric:
Tried moving on, but I keep coming back again
To what could've been. 

4. CRUEL SUMMER - TAYLOR SWIFT

"Cruel Summer" is Taylor Swift's final appearance on this countdown. Before the album was released, Taylor was releasing songs in advance to build buzz. "The Archer" and "Lover" were both very low-key songs, so I was wondering if there would be any uptempo songs I would like. "ME!" and "You Need To Calm Down" are okay, but neither got a spot on this list. I listened to the album when it was finally released, and lo and behold Track 2. "Cruel Summer" was an instant standout, and it still remains my favorite track on the album. "Cruel Summer" seems to be about the beginning stages of Taylor's secret relationship with her boyfriend, but it was also during a hard time in her life too as people were taking shots at her reputation. The song just has a very cool and carefree vibe to it, and Taylor's delivery is perfect. It's such a catchy song. The chorus is my favorite part, but I also like the bridge and ending - especially when she sings "I don't want to keep secrets just to keep you" and "I love you, ain't that the worst thing you ever heard?" Anyway, "Cruel Summer" isn't only my favorite song on this album, but also one of my most favorite songs in Taylor's discography. Hopefully "Cruel Summer" ends up getting released as a single this summer.

Favorite part:
It's new, the shape of your body

It's blue, the feeling I've got
And it's ooh, whoa oh
It's a cruel summer.

3. SOUTHBOUND - CARRIE UNDERWOOD

Carrie Underwood finally makes an appearance on this countdown with "Southbound." Country music has a lot of summertime songs, but Carrie didn't release a song like that until "Southbound." "Southbound" is a lively song perfect for any summertime playlist. It's fun and upbeat, and I like Carrie's delivery here. Even with a fun song, Carrie's vocals are still stellar. That chorus is especially infectious with a melody that easily gets stuck in my head. It's such an enjoyable tune, and it perfectly captures that summertime feeling. Although not one of my most favorites from Cry Pretty, I still enjoy this song whenever I do hear it. Cry Pretty has a lot of emotional songs on the album, so "Southbound" is one of the upbeat songs to bring some fun to the album. And it made sense as a single choice for the summertime, and "Southbound" did end up reaching #1 on the country radio charts. So, congrats to Carrie on another #1 single! Although "Southbound" would be ranked on the lower end if I were to rank all of Carrie Underwood's songs together, it still get a spot in my Top 3 of 2019. And I got to see Carrie perform this song live at the official fan club party back in June, and it was a lot of fun! "Southbound" is such an enjoyable song, and it's always nice seeing this side of Carrie in her music.

Favorite lyric:
We got the rope swing swinging like a chandelier
Little bit of heaven on the water right here
Don't need much, just a couple of beers and you and me
Gotta love this time of year. 

2. LOCA – ÁLVARO SOLER

It's very rare for another artist to outrank a Carrie Underwood song on my music countdown lists, so that goes to show how much I like "Loca" by Álvaro Soler. "Loca" was released back in January of 2019, and I knew right away it would be one of my most favorite songs of the year. The song is basically about being crazy in love. He's so crazy about this girl and he loses his mind when he's with her, but he says it's worth it. It's a very catchy song with cool instrumentation. Álvaro's delivery is perfect here too, and the chorus is my favorite part of the song (which I have highlighted below). I also like the part that goes "Contigo y nadie más" before the chorus. "Loca" has a very intriguing quality while still being very catchy. The choices of the the instruments used in the song are very cool, and I like Álvaro's smooth delivery. Everything comes together perfectly here. "Loca" is a song I still like as much as I did when I first heard it, and it remains one of my most favorite songs in Álvaro's discography. It may even be in my Top 2 of his songs with "La Cintura" taking the #1 spot. Anyway, I hope this is a song even people who don't speak Spanish can enjoy. "Loca" was a song I knew would be ranked this high on my countdown, and now it finally makes an appearance here one spot shy of #1.

Favorite lyric:
Loca, loca, loca cuando me provoca
Pierdo y pierdo la razón
Cada, cada, cada vez que en tu almohada
Busco la respiración
Contigo pierdo la razón. 

1. DRINKING ALONE – CARRIE UNDERWOOD

And claiming the #1 spot on this countdown is "Drinking Alone" by Carrie Underwood. This song was a standout when I first listened to the Cry Pretty album, and it still remains one of my top favorite tracks on the album. I also got to hear Carrie sing this song live at the official fan club party back in June. I wasn't able to attend any of the shows for the Cry Pretty 360 tour, but thankfully I was able to go to Nashville for the fan club party where Carrie did a mini concert of songs from the Cry Pretty album on the Opry stage. Anyway, "Drinking Alone" is about a heartbroken woman going to the bar to drink her sorrows away, but she notices a man in that bar going through a heartbreak of his own too. So, she suggests that the two of them should be drinking alone...together. What I love most about the song are Carrie's vocals and the arrangement. There's really cool instrumentation here, and that electric guitar is used to cool effect. Carrie shows off some soulful vocals here too, and I like getting to hear her lower vocals in the verses. She then really goes for it vocally towards the end with very impressive ad-libs. It's such a cool song, and the jazzier arrangement she does when she sings this live is also very enjoyable. "Drinking Alone" is still climbing the charts, so this could possibly appear on my 2020 list too. Anyway, "Drinking Alone" is an awesome song, and it easily gets the top spot on this countdown.

Favorite lyric:
We should be drinking alone together
Drowning the pain is better
With somebody else who got problems
We ain't gonna solve 'em
But misery loves company.

5. What Could've Been – 
4. Cruel Summer – 
3. Southbound –
2. Loca – 
1. Drinking Alone –

Edited by Steven_

On 4/5/2020 at 8:05 PM, Steven_ said:

12. I wonder which you think is my favorite from the album. But yes, I'm glad you like this song!

Gonna say this real quick before I see the rest of the songs you posted... I think it will be Cruel Summer. That one hasn't been posted yet and I see it at the top of your faves. (!) :shiftywave:

10. Ráptame – Oh wow at the "kidnap me" translation. :lmao: That is interesting. I have enjoyed the songs you posted from them on this list, and like this one as well.  :bobo: I really like the lead singer's voice. 
9. Bonita – I don't mind this on first listen, but it could probably grow on me with more listens too. I do recognize Sebastian as one of the Spanish singers I enjoy most from your list, I think. 
8. Respiro – Oh, and here he is again! Wow, so weird someone else sings on the majority of the song and is not even credited. How fun he's his cousin though. I really like this a lot on first listen too, and enjoy the acoustic arrangement. It does sound sweet, even though I don't understand the lyrics.
7. La Libertad –  Ooh, this is fun and catchy. :bobo: Really enjoying this on first listen too. It does sound like a fun driving song. :haha: 
6. Someone You Loved – Love this song too and love seeing it in your top 10! Ah yeah, it was a sleeper hit and I first heard it before it started gaining popularity. I loved it too and am so happy for all its success. The emotion, vocals, lyrics, and everything are so powerful on this. :omg: I love and agree with your comments.

5. What Could've Been –  I love this song too. I first heard it on the radio and had no idea who it was or that Colbie had this group either. :haha: It's so easy to listen to and I love the melody, vocals, and everything about it as well. I also look forward to hearing more from them. 
4. Cruel Summer –  I was right! :ohyeah: We agree on this one since it is definitely one of my favorites of the album (but too tough for me to actually rank them). This is definitely a standout, so catchy, has a cool vibe, and everything you said! I love the production on this and how Taylor sounds on it. The chorus. :wub: The bridge. :wub: Really hope they release this as a single!
3. Southbound – I love this and it's always been a favorite of mine from the album, so I was super glad they released it as a single. :bobo: It is the perfect summer song as well! I love how catchy, feel good, and infectious this is! "Although "Southbound" would be ranked on the lower end if I were to rank all of Carrie Underwood's songs together" I would like to see it. :kissbye: Oh and how fun you saw this performed live last summer!
2. Loca –  Outranking a Carrie song. 😮 It certainly is rare but cool to see someone else have a song you love this much! This does have a catchy and fun vibe that I am enjoying as well. :bobo: I love this description: "He's so crazy about this girl and he loses his mind when he's with her, but he says it's worth it." :haha: That sounds like my kind of song. :giggle:This is fun! 
1. Drinking Alone – I figured this would be your #1! I'm not sure where this song ranks for me personally among Carrie's songs, but I love everything she does and this is no exception. I agree her vocals on this are phenomenal, but I wouldn't expect any less. :omg:  I am always slayed when I listen to her power on this. So good!

Great list, Steven! :clap:  I know you struggled with your motivation this time, which I'm sorry about, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading and commenting on this as always! ❤️ :hug: