Jump to content

A black woman never will win The Voice v.2


eidi
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, eidi said:

 

Spensha was embraced by Blake's fans but not by country music fans. I remember some people here doubted she sounded country. Not much as Keisha but to some extent. 

 

 

Sorry why this is a unfriendly season for Minivan? I am not into gossip details. 

 

And TV managed to have two black winners in a row. They were the very first two but who knows, there is still a hope


There were three country/country adjacent artists in the semifinal…Spensha, Pryor, and Kaleb. Regardless of your anecdotes, country fans chose her over Pryor, who was on the same team, and a traditional country male from Kelly’s team. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, eidi said:

 

Sorry why this is a unfriendly season for Minivan? I am not into gossip details. 

 

And TV managed to have two black winners in a row. They were the very first two but who knows, there is still a hope

Some spoilers:

No country bearded guys in the lives, in fact no male country at all this season. Just a couple of acts that got quickly eliminated.

 

No cute teens either. There's just one 13 y/o left with Kelly but other than her age and decent singing skills nothing suggests she's gonna be a threat, she's basically a long shot. 

 

Of Course, There's also Ariana's presence itself, plus she's getting a lot of current pop females (they never do well on the show). [/spoilers] 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, British Man said:

 

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but isn't 1 divided by 2.5, 0.4, or 40%?

 

1 divided by 3.5 is 0.2857, or 28.57%


There are 3.5 possible outcomes in 1/2.5 odds. He should have said 2/5 odds. 2+5 = 7 possible outcomes….2 chances that Wendy will win, and 5 chances that someone else will win.  2 divided by 7 = 28.57% chance of Wendy winning. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:


There are 3.5 possible outcomes in 1/2.5 odds. He should have said 2/5 odds. 2+5 = 7 possible outcomes….2 chances that Wendy will win, and 5 chances that someone else will win.  2 divided by 7 = 28.57% chance of Wendy winning. 

 

Oh I thought it was a fraction lol.

 

Thanks for explaining.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:


There are 3.5 possible outcomes in 1/2.5 odds. He should have said 2/5 odds. 2+5 = 7 possible outcomes. 2 chances in 7 that Wendy will win. 2 divided by 7 = 28.57% chance of winning. 

 

This is not related to the thread topic, but I am currently taking a Statistics and Probability class in college, and I'm pretty sure this is not how it works. (unless I am just missing the point)

 

edit: nvm I get it now its like 50/50 odds.

Edited by FloorWax
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 5:03 PM, TeamAudra said:


There were three country/country adjacent artists in the semifinal…Spensha, Pryor, and Kaleb. Regardless of your anecdotes, country fans chose her over Pryor, who was on the same team, and a traditional country male from Kelly’s team. 

 

I do not thínk Pryor was country at all.

 

Kaleb was but from team Kelly who debuted that season. And regardless of other people, contry fans in general didn't embrace Spensha the same way they did with other country female singers like Danielle and Lauren

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I would presume American Idol and The Voice have similar viewship. In 2020 a black woman won Idol. She was also a lesbian with tattoos and from NYC. Not exactly minivan bait. Sam sang straight up pop and I think that plays better. Gospel and actual R and B music is too polarizing stylistically

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sneaky said:

I would presume American Idol and The Voice have similar viewship. In 2020 a black woman won Idol. She was also a lesbian with tattoos and from NYC. Not exactly minivan bait. Sam sang straight up pop and I think that plays better. Gospel and actual R and B music is too polarizing stylistically

 

If Idol and TV have similar viewship, why the former crowned 4 black women (Fantasia and Jordin in the past seasons and Candice and Sam recently) while in the latter no black woman won?

Edited by eidi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, eidi said:

 

If Idol and TV have similar viewship, why the former crowned 4 black women (Fantasia and Jordin in the past seasons and Candice and Sam recently) while in the latter no black woman won?

Because the idol contestants are less polarizing. I havent seen all seasons of the voice but the ones ive seen are all r and b and gospel singers which isn't as popular with middle America. Sam was a pop singer and Jordin was a straight up pop singer. Kelly was more r and b influenced than both of them. Candace was more jazz inspired which is a popular genre for older people because its easier to listen to. They also massively rigged her season. The only exception would be Fantasia but she's more unique in the gospel/r and b genre than the contestants on The Voice are

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sneaky said:

Because the idol contestants are less polarizing. I havent seen all seasons of the voice but the ones ive seen are all r and b and gospel singers which isn't as popular with middle America. Sam was a pop singer and Jordin was a straight up pop singer. Kelly was more r and b influenced than both of them. Candace was more jazz inspired which is a popular genre for older people because its easier to listen to. They also massively rigged her season. The only exception would be Fantasia but she's more unique in the gospel/r and b genre than the contestants on The Voice are

 

Did you remember Kennedy Holmes? She was pop and teen like Jordin and didn't win TV still.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DaVoice said:

Is anyone else just a little surprised there are ZERO traditional country males and only 1 female this season? Yeah....if there's a ever a season this is gonna happen, it's this one.


The only way it can happen is if the producers allow it to. Wendy is getting some questionable song choices so far. We’ll see whether that changes down the road. She’s the only AA female I can imagine winning this season, since she’s on Team Blake. She’s spent the last several years singing country music, and she’s not singing it on the show. That is a problem, if winning the show is the goal. Maybe it isn’t. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, DaVoice said:

Is anyone else just a little surprised there are ZERO traditional country males and only 1 female this season? Yeah....if there's a ever a season this is gonna happen, it's this one.

 

And no pimped teens as well (maybe one, Hailey Mia, but def not a frontrunner). If Wendy does not win I will riot.

Edited by eidi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, unless there's a significant shift in the demographic of people watching the show, I doubt an AA woman will ever win. I was hoping Ariana could bring along the change but so far it's proven to be wrong.

If a great vocalist such as Toneisha whose singing style is more tone down and being on team Blake couldn't home take the win, who can?

Edited by CaptainOggy6320
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, CaptainOggy6320 said:

Honestly, unless there's a significant shift in the demographic of people watching the show, I doubt an AA woman will ever win. I was hoping Ariana could bring along the change but so far it's proven to be wrong.

If a great vocalist such as Toneisha whose singing style is more tone down and being on team Blake couldn't home take the win, who can?

 

Toneisha placed second which is the highest position ever for a black woman.

 

But she had competition with Todd. I don't see any strong rival against Wendy that can take her crown, do you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, eidi said:

 

Toneisha placed second which is the highest position ever for a black woman.

 

But she had competition with Todd. I don't see any strong rival against Wendy that can take her crown, do you?


Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about the fact that a Hispanic contestant has never won the show, and to the best of my recollection, there have only been two Hispanic finalists (Ricky Duran and Aliyah Moulden). They make up a larger percentage of the US population than African Americans. 🤔 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TeamAudra said:


Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about the fact that a Hispanic contestant has never won the show, and to the best of my recollection, there have only been two Hispanic finalists (Ricky Duran and Aliyah Moulden). They make up a larger percentage of the US population than African Americans. 🤔 

Javier Colon won the inaugural season, and he’s Dominican and Puerto-Rican (Afro-Latino is still definitely Latino, last I checked). So at least three Hispanic finalists, including one winner.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Javier Colon won the inaugural season, and he’s Dominican and Puerto-Rican (Afro-Latino is still definitely Latino, last I checked). So at least three Hispanic finalists, including one winner.


Thanks. 
 

One male winner 10 years ago. 
 

Still no female Hispanic winner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gustavo527 said:

In the first season, with like, almost no competition 


Yeah, the point is there is all of this focus on getting and AA female winner, which is understandable, but nobody ever mentions how underrepresented Hispanic contestants are, as contenders. They generally get eliminated very early. This season, we have Hailey, and…I’m assuming Raquel and Jeremy? We’ll see how that goes. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...