A black woman never will win The Voice v.2

eidi

Just now, jus.vshn said:

Because Katie (the most polarizing contestant) didn’t even win

Mackenzie too. She didn't even make the finale.

90%+ of the divas that have been on this show were black. That's why we see black people get robbed the most.

I'm pretty sure if this show had more white divas we would've seen people complaining about them too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

It's almost impossible for any Diva to win(whether black or white).

Yes, pretty much. Tessanne is the exception to this rule, but she was on a whole another level

Just now, Gustavo527 said:

Yes, pretty much. Tessanne is the exception to this rule, but she was on a whole another level

Yeah, exceptions are always there.

I consider Tess to be one of the top 2 best contestants ever so yeah no one was winning over that beast of a vocalist.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

It's almost impossible for any Diva to win(whether black or white).

Alisan and Tessanne won in the past. Even Jordan who is on your pic won and many of his songs were diva ones.

26 minutes ago, eidi said:

Alisan and Tessanne won in the past. Even Jordan who is on your pic won and many of his songs were diva ones.

Yeah, but it took getting rid of Team Blake in the semifinals (after three consecutive wins) to guarantee Tessanne would win and fighting tooth and nail for Alisan to beat Adam despite him outperforming her on iTunes several times.

Not a knock on either of them, both of them were consistent and very good at what they did vocally (and 1000% deserved to win) - but it definitely could’ve been very different results wise without much difficulty.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, eidi said:

For some reason, Alisan doesn't scream "diva" to me, and no, it's not because of her race, since i consider MacKenzie to be a "diva" but with Alisan, i can't. Maybe is her voice or maybe her genre, since she sang a lot of folk-type and rock-type songs, songs that are not usually sung by a stereotypical "diva"

I hope my comment is not taken the wrong way, that's just what i think 

Edit: ok, now that i think, Kimberly Nichole also sang a lot of songs that would usually not be considered "Diva" songs. I think the differences, aparte of what i said before, is also on their styles and their way of performing. Kimberly had many glamorous and exotic outfits , and gave fantastic performances (almost like concerta) every time. Maybe that's why i consider her to be more "diva" than Alisan

Edited by Gustavo527

1 hour ago, eidi said:

Tess was a diva and she won but that was one of the earlier seasons and I don't think minivan was in full force those seasons.

Just now, QueenCami said:

I'm confused why y'all are using the word "diva" when:

a) the word innately has a negative connotation and

b) y'all haven't even defined what it means, in the first place.

Yeah, what does “diva” even refer to? I’m so confused. :wacko:

3 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

I'm confused why y'all are using the word "diva" when:

a) the word innately has a negative connotation and

b) y'all haven't even defined what it means, in the first place.

a) i personally view the word “diva” as a positive thing when describing someone’s vocal ability (e.g., i consider Mariah, Whitney, and Celine “diva” vocalists), but that might just be me!

b) i totally agree with your second point... i think “diva” has a very broad definition that might have a different meaning to different people. some people may use it like me, referring to outstanding, powerhouse vocalists, while others may use it more negatively. 

and yes, an African American woman WILL win a season of The Voice! i will never give up hope that one day one of my favorites will win the show... NEVER!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know divas have negative connotation sometimes, but I use it to describe a powerhouse vocalist with a big range like Whitney, Aretha, or Mariah 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KimberlyxKyla said:

a) i personally view the word “diva” as a positive thing when describing someone’s vocal ability (e.g., i consider Mariah, Whitney, and Celine “diva” vocalists), but that might just be me!

4 minutes ago, B-B said:

I know divas have negative connotation sometimes, but I use it to describe a powerhouse vocalist with a big range like Whitney, Aretha, or Mariah 

Thanks. I never really thought of it this way. :thumbs:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KimberlyxKyla said:

b) i totally agree with your second point... i think “diva” has a very broad definition that might have a different meaning to different people. some people may use it like me, referring to outstanding, powerhouse vocalists, while others may use it more negatively. 

and yes, an African American woman WILL win a season of The Voice! i will never give up hope that one day one of my favorites will win the show... NEVER!!!!

2 minutes ago, B-B said:

That totally makes sense! I think that a lot of the discussion above was merely classifying people as "divas" or not when there's no set definition for it, so I wanted to bring it up. It seems a lot of people have different ideas of what they are; I was under the impression that "diva" just meant powerhouse to y'all, in which case I wouldn't call MaKenzie a "diva" but I would call Alisan or Katie one. 

At the end of the day, I don't like using the word, but since I know y'all only mean it in a positive way, I understand why you would. Thanks to you guys for patiently and respectfully explaining to me 🙂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KimberlyxKyla said:

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, David68 said:

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER

And to think, that was considered a "weak" Tessanne performance...

don't mind me, I'm ignoring Zania's killer version because I'm still salty she got a bad song choice this past week after such a good KO

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I thought Kennedy was going to be the one to change this. She was much more pop than R&B/Soul and quite honestly she should have won for the same reasons Maelyn won S16. She was consistently top tier and she was the only non-country artist in her finale. I’ll give Chevel enough credit to say that she is fairly unique as country artists on this show go (especially when compared to Kirk, Chris, and S16’s country finalists) but Chevel aside, Kennedy should have at least gotten 2nd. 

Toneisha is currently the highest placing black woman on the show and if it weren’t for Todd I do think she would have won. Her being on team Blake definitely helped and she was pop enough to appeal to non-R&B fans. 

Edited by Kyn65

I just think that black women are never cast with the intention of winning, but they are cast with intentions of going far in the lives. Almost every season recently has had one or two token black women with a big voice that makes it into the lives but doesn’t win. 

to name a few: 

S11: Sa’Rayah, Ali Caldwell 

S12: Aliyah Moulden? (Though she’s kinda a different genre) 

S13: Shi’Ann Jones

S14: Kyla Jade

S15: Kymberli Joye

S17: Rose Short

S18: Toneisha Harris 

S19: Tamara Jade, DeSz

S20: Dana Monique

32 minutes ago, Kyn65 said:

I thought Kennedy was going to be the one to change this. She was much more pop than R&B/Soul and quite honestly she should have won for the same reasons Maelyn won S16. She was consistently top tier and she was the only non-country artist in her finale. I’ll give Chevel enough credit to say that she is fairly unique as country artists on this show go (especially when compared to Kirk, Chris, and S16’s country finalists) but Chevel aside, Kennedy should have at least gotten 2nd. 

Toneisha is currently the highest placing black woman on the show and if it weren’t for Todd I do think she would have won. Her being on team Blake definitely helped and she was pop enough to appeal to non-R&B fans. 

Absolutely and I also think Kennedy should have won because Brynn in the season before won and both were talented and pop teenagers. Why one won and the other barely got 4th place (only because of IS)?

For me at the moment a black woman will only win if: 1) she is a teenager (like Kennedy, We and Aliyah who reached the finale in a easier way); 2) she sings country (RIP Cecil); 3) she is on Blake Team; 4) TPTB pimps her since the beginning throughout the entire season AND 5) there is no country act in the finale.

Hard, no? Definitely much harder than it was for a country guy who only needs 1) to be in the stage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eidi said:

For me at the moment a black woman will only win if: 1) she is a teenager (like Kennedy, We and Aliyah who reached the finale in a easier way); 2) she sings country (RIP Cecil); 3) she is on Blake Team; 4) TPTB pimps her since the beginning throughout the entire season AND 5) there is no country act in the finale.

Hard, no? Definitely much harder than it was for a country guy who only needs 1) to be in the stage.

Could not have said it better myself.

30 minutes ago, Kyn65 said:

I just think that black women are never cast with the intention of winning, but they are cast with intentions of going far in the lives. Almost every season recently has had one or two token black women with a big voice that makes it into the lives but doesn’t win. 

to name a few: 

S11: Sa’Rayah, Ali Caldwell 

S12: Aliyah Moulden? (Though she’s kinda a different genre) 

S13: Shi’Ann Jones

S14: Kyla Jade

S15: Kymberli Joye

S17: Rose Short

S18: Toneisha Harris 

S19: Tamara Jade, DeSz

S20: Dana Monique

Yes, that is the word, TOKEN.

And it's a shame that especially in this season this token was given only by coaches/TPTB, because NONE of the black women got the PV, in spite of their style diversity.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, eidi said:

Yes, that is the word, TOKEN

Because TPTB won't cast more than a few to check the diversity box, but they'll cast white men who sing country till they die.

Edited by Kyn65

15 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

The person she beat was also a diva singer, so S5 would have had a diva winner regardless.